Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Small entryway staging
Gwen Ingram
January 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I have a small area for an entryway and need advice on what to do. I was thinking a bench & side board.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
I think this is a nice area for a lower storage piece for mitts and gloves and then a mirror would be nice over it. It is always nice to have a mirror by the door for a last minute check. This is always an area that can get cluttered quickly so pick good storage pieces that will organize and contain the clutter.
January 22, 2013 at 5:38pm     
decoenthusiaste
Is that your main exit or a closet with the bag hanging on the doorknob? If your space is so small that there is no formal entry, you'd get better use out of the space if you considered it a spot for arranging the living room, instead of pretending it is a real entry. If all your furniture is low, you need to break that with a tall piece, so consider a credenza, art, accent chair that incorporated into your seating area
Texas Hill House Living Room.
Cabinet and Chair
January 22, 2013 at 5:43pm     
Christen Hill
I have a similar space. I used an ikea expedit bookshelf as a bench, put baskets inside for storage (winter clothes, boots, library books, backpacks, etc.). Then to hang on the wall above it, I used two pieces of wood, six feet long to match the expedit. Screwed together to make an L shape, attached some hobby lobby hooks, and we have hooks, with a shelf above for decor or whatnot. We use this spot all the time to sit and put on shoes, etc. Guests always know where to put their stuff when they come in, too. Good look and go Dawgs :)
January 22, 2013 at 5:50pm     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I'd like to see a console or a chest of drawers 30-40" high, with a lamp on top of it. Then I'd add a mirror, hung vertically to visually increase your ceiling height. I'd remove the items hanging by the door, and the bag on the doorknob. This will give a semblance of an entry whether you really have one or not. You could place a bowl or basket on top into which mail is placed.
January 22, 2013 at 6:08pm     
radwil
A large mirror centered on the wall about 40" above the floor would give the illusion of a larger room. A taller narrow table would help raise the lamp in your photo. It seems a bit too low to the floor. If you have enough room, would the dark trunk or cabinet you have in the photo be ok against the back of the couch? Hope this helps.
January 22, 2013 at 6:21pm     
PRO
Dytecture
I agree, bench with mirror or art work would be nice.

January 22, 2013 at 6:47pm     
January 22, 2013 at 7:00pm     
Gwen Ingram
Thank you all so much. I should have taken that bag out of the picture. These ideas will help a lot.
January 22, 2013 at 7:54pm   
suesiewert
If you are able to position your sofa perpendicular to where it is now, you could create a small entry area. If there was room for a sofa table or long low bookcase (with baskets for storage) behind it you would have a spot for stuff when you enter. Not sure if your room is large enough to section off the end, but it could create an entry...even put a carpet runner to define the area.
January 22, 2013 at 8:13pm     
Gwen Ingram
The entrance is actually on the right side of the photo, the door in the photo is a closet.
January 22, 2013 at 10:51pm   
PRO
Anish Motwani Associates
hey

a nice bench with art work on the top of it will look amazing
if possible for wallpaper on the wall

regards
ANish MOtwani Associates
www.anishkmotwani.in
January 22, 2013 at 11:03pm   
Sherry Mau
like i posted on another question, here is my entry way(sorry for the bad pic) I want to eventually put a storage bench to hold pillows and blankets.
January 23, 2013 at 12:32am