Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Replacement for a ceiling fan?
mhamang
January 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My fiancee and I recently purchased a ranch home built in 1954 from the original owner and are in the process of remodeling it. In the den we painted the original paneling a grey color and tore out the carpet above a beautiful parquet floor. I've attached some before and afters. Sorry for the bad picture, I'll upload a better one when I get a chance (only had a cell phone at the time. The fan you see in the before picture we replaced with a small ceiling fan with a light, but I'm not quite fond of it. I really think some sort of chandelier (maybe industrial-like) could look really cool, something that plays off our fireplace insert. My fiancee is afraid it might look strange in the middle of a room not above a dining room table, and I'm afraid our ceiling might be too short. Opinions?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AMN
In order to go with a true chandelier, you're going to need to have some sort of table under it (a coffee table can qualify if done right), especially since you don't have a high ceiling.

Have you looked at all closer-to-celing options? Take a look through LampsPlus's collection. You can filter by style, color, etc. http://www.lampsplus.com/products/close-to-ceiling-lights/#
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 5:49PM
decoenthusiaste
I think a drum chandy would be the ticket. Your gold swivels are not fitting the more contemporary style vibe you seem to be hoping for. Maybe a pair of armless accent chairs would liven it up. You're going to need an area rug too. Be sure it is large enough for the furniture to sit on. Would consider flanking the stove with the chairs or putting one at each end of the sofa, facing each other across a coffee table.
Short Drum Pendant, Gray Felt
Convertible Drum Pendant 42121-42122 by Kichler
Lineas Drum Pendant
Bailey Accent Chair - Chevron
Bailey Accent Chair, Linx
Armless Upholstered Slipper Accent Chair, Grey & Gold Ikat
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 5:56PM
mhamang
I have actually looked through some of those, I sort of liked this one: http://www.lampsplus.com/products/industrial-cage-dark-rust-7-and-one-half-inch-high-ceiling-light-fixture__u8933.html

When I say chandelier, I wasn't really planning on taking it any farther down than maybe 16-24 inches from the ceiling. We actually have a coffee table and side tables in that room (I didn't have an updated picture handy, I took that one right after I got the carpet out), and the chandelier would be above a walnut mid century coffee table.

I really like this chandelier: http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/productdetail.jsp?navAction=jump&id=963167&cm_mmc=PLA&utm_medium=ppc
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 6:02PM
mhamang
Thanks for the idea decoenthusiaste, I might have to consider that. We were actually going for a more modern/mid century modern look, since our house was built in the 50s. What do you think about this rug for the room? I want to stay away from grey because I fear it might make the grey walls seem blue.
http://www.wayfair.com/Alliyah-Rugs-Paris-World-Classic-Floral-Rug-100094-HRQ1171.html
0 Likes   January 22, 2013 at 6:14PM
onthefence
For lighting, perhaps a George Nelson Bubble or Saucer light?

1 Like   January 22, 2013 at 6:20PM