powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Please help me think of kitchen update ideas!
James Young
January 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I was thinking of redoing the flooring in the kitchen, a dark wood laminate and painting the cabinets white with a black/slate countertop. The walls would be SW muslin or SW netsuke. Not sure what to do about the backsplash. Thoughts on the design?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AMN
Maybe a classic subway tile. You could look into ones that come in a unique field size or a bezel to shake things up a bit.

January 22, 2013 at 7:11PM   
PRO
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
Regarding the floor, a very dark one shows every crumb. Also, laminate flooring can be quite reflective as far as noise goes. The white cabinets would likely be fine with a contrasting counter. Actual slate is challenging as it requires sealing & there are many clefts that would catch food and debris, although likely no worse than the current tile on these counters. Formica has a laminate that is almost charcoal slate look that would be cost effective & easy care. If you go with a black and white theme for cabinets, and a very plain top, the splash can be more jazzy. Perhaps pick up black, white, grey, "muslin or netsuke" tones in a lively mosaic for a fresh new look. There are plenty of glass mosaics in interesting shapes that could be suitable. Swap out your appliances to all white or all black.
January 22, 2013 at 7:17PM   
PRO
Lewis Renovation & Repair LLC
What you've mentioned so far is a lot of earth tones. I think the backsplash would be a good place for some color. Not sure about your personal style but bright blue glass tile somewhere in the backsplash would really stand out.
January 22, 2013 at 8:19PM   
mousyifg
Definitely redo the floors, they seem so out of date! Also I personally don't like the counters. Maybe go for new granite tops?
January 22, 2013 at 8:42PM   
PRO
Shuchat Group
As a Realtor in an expensive housing market, one of the things that I do when contemplating renovation is to to a multiple listing service search of every home in the most expensive price range that was built within the last year and a half. I then go through all the pictures and if I am interested in bathrooms, I save the ones that compare to the design layout that I have. In this way I will be able to put together a digital scrapbook for a designer to show the look that I want. It is one of the most important rooms in the house when you want to sell the place, so don't go testing your own design juices when perhaps you went to school to become a teacher, psychologist or mechanic. Check out "Amazing Real Estate Ideas" on FB for even more far out images and ideas.
January 22, 2013 at 8:51PM   
James Young
i like that subway tile
January 24, 2013 at 5:24PM   
Pelo Seithati
I would change the top and the floors,maybe even paint the cupborads.
January 24, 2013 at 11:27PM