powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need Help Making New Family Room Cozy and Warm!
lilbiggz79
January 22, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We just moved into a brand new house, and I need ideas on enhancing the coziness and warmth of this room (i.e. wall decor, accessories, plants, furniture placement, anything!!). I also want to put curtains on the sliding glass door, but am learning that may be an issue due to spacing between the door and windows on either side. Ideas for warmth and and sliding door are greatly appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
jansgirl
You have a real good looking room already. Glad all of your furniture isn't pushed up against the walls!!

Right away I only saw one floor lamp and something "glowing" in the opposite corner. Add a good size lamp to each of your side tables flanking the sofa.

If you want to "warm up" the room add warmer colors. Right now the space is all brown, black and blue. I'd suggest replacing your cool large painting with something with more gold in it. Pick up a few colors from that to chose new pillows, maybe a throw.

Boy, on the sliders I would suggest covering the entire wall but your don't have enough room on the sides of the window to pull back the drapes. Will be curious to see what others suggest.
January 22, 2013 at 10:14pm     
Darzy
Looks nice! I think a "lightening up" is needed. Everything is dark and heavy looking. How about chrome or a light color accent in lamps, pillows, toss blanket? What colors do you like? I think for the slider, you can do an "old fashion" travis rod curtain that opens right to left. Just fitting the window a few inches from the edge of the slider.
Regina Andrew Lighting Aqua Glass Ripple Lamp
Lacquer Hexagon Tray
Ikat Decorative Pillow Cover by Pillow Flight
Finishing Touches
January 22, 2013 at 10:42pm     
PRO
FurnitureNYC
Yes you're need more light! I think the wall lamps are a good solution! http://www.furniturenyc.net/wall-lamps.html
January 23, 2013 at 1:38am   
charleee
I love Darzy's ideas! Spot on!
January 23, 2013 at 4:24am     
michigammemom
I love the look of kilim pillows with leather furnishings to add color and texture. I also think you have an over abundance of leather and suggest a different material for a coffee table. This basket table from Pottery Barn would be a unique addition to your cozy room. I agree that additional lighting would brighten up your space.
January 23, 2013 at 4:47am     
lilbiggz79
Thank you so much! I have a goofy question...I would love to take the advice of putting table lamps on my side tables. However, since my table are not pushed up against the wall, there would be cords stringing across the open areas. Are there cordless or other options for setups like this??
January 23, 2013 at 6:27am   
jansgirl
Perfectly good question! Contact an electrician to install an outlet (or two) in the floor by your end tables. Some of the best money I've spent.
January 23, 2013 at 6:59am   
Darzy
Thanks olldbobbi! I'm second guessing the suggestions tho. It may be too light with the wall and carpet color. Michigammemom suggestions look really good and fits better with the mood of the room.
January 23, 2013 at 11:18am   
charleee
Well, I like both, but I like the colors in yours, Darzy!
January 23, 2013 at 11:59am     
fairviewbonnie
You could also put a lighter area rug on top of your rug. Regarding the wires from the lamps..I have had a similar problem and I bought some extension cords so I could run them under my sofa to another outlet less visible. Then I put in front of the outlet something to hide the wires if they still show. Like a tall vase or candle stand from pier one. I also agree with too much leather. Perhaps placing something like a big tray on the ottoman with an accent color. Coordinate it with new pillows, throw and a new picture behind the sofa. Good luck. Looks like a nice room.
January 23, 2013 at 12:12pm   
jansgirl
I want michigam....'s suggestion of the pottery barn table!!! Love that! And personally I prefer her warmer color choices for the room.
January 24, 2013 at 11:24am