powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How to add a third storey extension that looks great from the outside?
michfschofield
January 23, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are planning on adding a third storey extension to our house (pictured), but as you can see we have a very 'box' shaped house. I am keen to explore ideas so that we don't end up having a 'box on a box' or an extension that looks like an afterthought... your ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
decoenthusiaste
How about an extension that is full of light? Make yourself an Ideabook here at Houzz and then talk with an architect and show them what you like.
Sugar Bowl Residence
Mountain home
Lake House Two - Exterior
Beachaus I
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 5:17AM
PRO
Dytecture
The current facade needs to be updated as well if you are looking for a well incorporated extension.

0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 6:24AM
michfschofield
thanks - I was thinking that we might need to do something with the current facade, though not sure what as yet...
the primarily window based designs do look great, thanks!
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 7:38PM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Step that third floor back and gain some outdoor rooftop deck and garden space, then the glass will look out on something other than the street below. Integrating the existing facade with the third floor addition may take some work...but more windows please? Perhaps running the door overhang vertically with some glass block would tie the first story to the third.
2 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 8:05PM
michfschofield
thank you! some great ideas - thanks ever so much. I know - I agree that we really do need more windows if we can afford it.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 8:10PM
PRO
Schachne Architects & Builders
You should first check with your local zoning department because there may be height limitations for your neighborhood. Secondly you should check with an architect and structural engineer to verify that the foundations of the existing house can support the added weight of a third floor. You can go to your local building department and get microfilm copies of the original house plans. if you can get copies they would be beneficial for the architect to have to use. Since you have structures on both sides of you there would have to be some creative structural design for structural columns and beams for transferring the new loads down to the ground. Please pay an architect to verify if all this can be done.
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 8:18PM
michfschofield
thank you. Yes, we have checked and third storey heights are fine for our zoning, and I ordered our building plans to verify our current structures and foundations yesterday - thanks. Definitely want to engage an architect and engineer (we have spoken with one architect already) - I've actually just posted another question about how to choose the best architect for our needs and things to look for - any advice would be appreciated! Cheers
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 9:01PM
PRO
Schachne Architects & Builders
I don't know where you live but you can either call your local or state office of the American Institute of Architects and they may be able to provide you a list of architects that focus on home additions and renovations. Secondly, always ask people who have done home renovations who they used and if they were happy with them. Good luck.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 4:32PM
michfschofield
well, we have decided to completely re-do our front facade, to improve the exterior look, lighting into our house, and are actually bringing the building one metre further out to get more space.
We are now in the process of trying to decide what type of exterior finish would look good (see an initial drawing for fyi - though everything is open for suggestions)...!
Thanks
1 Like   June 29, 2013 at 10:06PM
michfschofield
oh, yes, I was actually wanting specifically ask for recommendations on exterior cladding/finishes. On our list so far are: cedar, a dark grey panelling (not sure what material) or render...?
0 Likes   June 29, 2013 at 10:28PM
More Discussions
Let's play with my Snazzy Garottage project
We're building a carriage house (we prefer the term...
Kitchen Cabinet Pulls
We have remodel a beautiful kitchen and need help with...
Buyer's Remorse
Have you ever purchased something for your home, but...
Can't decide kitchen color
I am moving into a new apartment. I would love to have...
Trim/ceiling color help
I have a 1980s spanish revival house that I am renovating....
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.