Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Stain or painted kitchen cabinets?
Kathy Kirkland_Phillips
January 23, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are in the process of building a new home and I cannot make the decision between stained or painted/glazed kitchen cabinets. I am very traditional and love the look of both. There is a large island and I want a different look for that however just can't decide. There will be dark hardwoods and I want a very classic look that will not look dated in a few years yet I want a kitchen that "wows". Any suggestions???? Thank you!!! Attached is an exact kitchen like ours that is already built, which btw I do not like colors.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Try mixing it up! A dark island with painted perimeter cabinets or vice versa. Use more than one counter top material for interest. Don't use the low grade island cabinet we see there! The plywood back is screaming low grade builder cab...and it is out front!
January 23, 2013 at 4:14AM     
PRO
Paramount Bathrooms
coz you are traditional lover so I think,you should go through Stained Kitchen cabinet .Its on demand for traditional design lover...............
January 23, 2013 at 4:32AM     
charleee
Do you like something like this? [houzz=
]
January 23, 2013 at 5:01AM   
Kathy Kirkland_Phillips
Well I'm thinking dark walnut or even ebony for the floors so I want a complementing stain for the cabinets and an antiqued white for the island or vice versa. And could you use the same stain on Cabinets AND floor? Any suggestions for a rich, classic , traditional look???? Thank you all so much!!!
January 23, 2013 at 5:15AM   
feeny
You should not use the same stain for cabinets and floor. It will look like an undifferentiated mass of dark wood. So if you are putting in dark floors, you need lighter cabinets--either painted or stained. But if you are looking for a classic design, I wouldn't go too dark on the floors. Medium stains are more timeless, and the espresso wood floor finishes have peaked as a trend. They are still popular, but I wouldn't call them classic or timeless.
January 23, 2013 at 5:18AM     
rachaelramsey5
I'm having the same dilemma! White or stained trim? Doors? It's so overwhelming! I was thinking khaki cabinets mixed some stained. But do you think that will be a trend that will be out in a few years??
January 23, 2013 at 5:26AM   
Kathy Kirkland_Phillips
That is totally my concern. With stained cabinets, you can always paint however you can't stain paint. I love the look of the dark stained cabinets with antiqued white/glazed island but not sure if this a trend on the way out?!?!
January 23, 2013 at 5:51AM     
wendycrim
Just my 2 cents worth: I like the look of the different color island but it is a trend even though it's been popular for awhile and you might not like it later. Also, white although beautiful, looks dirty so quickly. Don't make the mistake I made and paint cabinets and baseboards all white because I am forever cleaning them and they still look dirty. I hope you enjoy your beautiful new home!
January 23, 2013 at 6:01AM     
PRO
Hawkins Cabinetry and Design
Going with a darker island is a great idea, and I don't fell its a fleeting trend. The island takes more abuse than anywhere else in regard to kicks and whatnot so its an excellent solution. another thing that we sometimes do is apply a wear through on the island only. It breaks it up a bit and prevents any little marks that may occur in the seating area from standing out.
January 23, 2013 at 6:07AM     
PRO
On the Spot Furniture Revival llc
Stained cabinets show wear less over the years where painted cabinets can develop hairline cracks in the paint because of the expansion/contraction of the wood underneath. Painted cabinets shows chips and gouges more readily as well.
January 23, 2013 at 11:58AM   
PRO
movenready properties, LLC
There is a way to have both if you do it right!
January 23, 2013 at 12:59PM     
More Discussions
12 mm laminate wood flooring vs. engineered wood flooring.
In a duplex we put 12 mm laminate "faux" wood flooring,...
Need help please! Family room and kitchen
I want to update my family room with color and decorations....
Need to protect my pegboard sink backsplash
I just put in a pegboard above my sink and painted...
outside update
hello. I meed a little help updating the exterior of...
Need help: what sort of lounge do I use?
I need to buy a new lounge suit for a brand new built...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.