Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Apartment living room ideas
szl11220
January 23, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Just this week I moved into a small but lovely apartment that's 617 square feet. I would like some ideas on the living room ideas. I want something that captures the living room, was thinking about big curtains but then it would block the window and door to balcony so I decided to pursuit the idea of an area rug. The rug will go in front of the couch in the center of the living room (see picture of living room and kitchen cabinets below). I know i want something modern, now I'm trying to decide the color of the rug, either dark or light? What do you think? I am also getting a coffee table, but I guess that would depend on the color of the rug. Lastly I'm looking at some bar stools to go around the counter I am also attaching pictures here . Please help me to choose or give more ideas ! I would like things to be valuable, nothing too expensive. Thanks !
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
patriciarhall
what other furniture will be in the room?
January 23, 2013 at 6:53am   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would recommend going with Ripplefold Drapery or Ripplefold Sheers depending on the privacy and darkness you need . Ripplefold Drapery is a great product for a larger window or a patio because its very easy to traverse the drapes and they look clean and modern at the same time.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/sheer-drapery.html
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/panels/ripplefold-drapery.html
January 23, 2013 at 6:56am   
szl11220
I also want to have two bar chairs, one coffee table and a tv stand, none of which have been decided yet........ Which makes things difficult because so many possibilities !
January 23, 2013 at 7:01am   
szl11220
I also want to have two bar chairs, one coffee table and a tv stand, none of which have been decided yet........ Which makes things difficult because so many possibilities !
January 23, 2013 at 7:01am   
constancemary
These bar stools are too tall for your space. You need chair height stools not adjustable stools. Try clear acrylic or Asian inspired black or red painted backless stools.
January 23, 2013 at 7:06am     
PRO
What's Inside Design Ltd.
Good morning szl,
To keep a smalI space looking it's biggest, there are a couple of tricks to keep in mind:
I recommend choosing an area rug that is light to medium in value. (not dark)
Also, a large pattern vs. a small pattern on the rug will trick the eye and help the space feel bigger.
To keep the room feeling open, I recommend a glass or lucite coffee table. This way it takes up almost no "visual" space.
Have fun! Your apartment is adorable!
Caroline
January 23, 2013 at 7:11am     
PRO
What's Inside Design Ltd.
With the idea of keeping your space looking as big as possible, I put together some quick suggestions for you.
The white barstools with low backs will not obstruct your sight lines when you are in the kitchen.
The coffee table will bring some of the espresso wood from your kitchen into your living room, however the glass keeps it "light".
The light rug adds pattern, yet blends with the flooring and couch so that things flow.
Let me know how you feel about these suggestions.
Caroline :)
January 23, 2013 at 7:27am     
szl11220
Thank you Caroline ! So light color area rug as supposed to dark ? Hmmmm I'm still deciding the color on the rug because originally I thought I might do dark rug with white table ?
But your suggestions definitely gave me ideas, light rug with big pattern would be great ! The only thing is I don't know about a glass coffee table. ... They are cold to touch lol I'm picky I know. :)
January 23, 2013 at 9:36am