Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Paint/stain existing oak dark or light?
angelablake1
January 23, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are remodeling a home that has oak cabinets that are in great shape. We are considering using a rustoleum product to redo them. My husband thinks they will look better darker since you won't see the wood grain as much. Has anyone had experience doing this and do you thinklight it dark would be better with this approach?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Steven Estafanos
If you pop out any BoConcept catalogue, a dark almost black brown seems to always work with the blue you have on your walls. I can actually picture it based on your attached picture and I think it'll suit your kitchen very well!
January 23, 2013 at 9:29AM     
angelablake1
I didn't even consider keeping the wall color. Not a bad idea. I was considering that if we go dark, then either doing marble or a light cream granite with dark accents and then light walls. And stainless appliances.
January 23, 2013 at 9:55AM   
PRO
Hawkins Cabinetry and Design
Definitely go dark! You have enough space and it will make the oak look more contemporary.
January 23, 2013 at 9:58AM     
wmpj
White would look good too. Benjamin Moore has a product called Cabinet Coat that goes on nicely and gives a smooth finish. It can only be tinted in very light shades (shades of white).
January 23, 2013 at 10:44AM     
PRO
Hawkins Cabinetry and Design
You should also consider doing a crown assembly.
January 23, 2013 at 10:56AM     
PRO
On the Spot Furniture Revival llc
If you are interested, oak can be grain filled. It adds another round or two of sanding but it fills the grain so the end product is grain free. Be careful not to purchase a sanding sealer -it is often confused that it is a sealer when it actually acts as a lubricant to keep sandpaper from clogging.
January 23, 2013 at 11:40AM   
More Discussions
Shower decorative border help!
Had bathroom remodeled about 4 years ago ... Bad choice...
Unfinished Basement (Looking for Contractor in Forsyth/Hall Co. Area
Need a little help here. I'm looking into finishing...
Chairs for table & curtain advice
Can someone give idea on what chair setup would look...
Wrong paint color?!
I am in the process of repainting my bathroom. It is...
Displaying objects in small home
Small house...and I am a collector! By small...1400...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.