Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen from 1979 needs redoing
tcalderon
January 23, 2013 in Design Dilemma
It seems it's about time to redo the kitchen either for staying or selling. Please ignore all the "stuff" but need some suggestions on which way to go. There is obviously a problem with storage space, and everyone in the subdivision has had that problem over the years. I have neighbors filling their added upper shelves to their hall closets with small appliances and other things, neighbors that have stuff out on their kitchen and dining room tables full of their "stuff". The trim which is everywhere in the house is a medium dark chocalate with some burgandy and gold depending on how the sun shines on it. Most of the floor in the entire house is a red oak natural with just a shellac for protection.

My boyfriend wants to not see the canned goods, small appliances, anything on the counter, get rid of the old microwave, update appliances except for dishwasher and refrigerator since they are rather new.

I had a thought of taking half the hall closet and putting shelves so I can put small appliances or pots and pans in there, or add an extra top shelf in the hall closet and put small appliances on the top shelves. There is one shelf already as in a normal closet.

The flooring in the kitchen is Kentile. I know it looks like a disaster, and I know I need to figure something out so it doesn't look so cluttered.
I like some of the pots/pans close by for ease of use. Most of the cabinets are full except for one which had canned goods in them. If I put the canned goods in one of the lower cabinets I forget that they are there. It is a dilemma.

Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
tcalderon
Another photo of the other side.

Cabinet sizes since hard to read graph paper....
stove/oven side from left to right -
top (all 12" deep with last one as exception) - 42" W 30" L, 30" W 18 1/4" L,
14" W 30" L, 26" W 84" L 24 1/4 " Depth

below those is the island (all 34 1/2" L in the lower cabinets)
Island - 24" W 54" Depth - one big cabinet with open doors on both sides and one drawer on the dinette side and two drawers on the stove side
then, left to right lower cabinets -
19", 28", 15"

Other side 25" W 30 L, 36 " W 17 1/4" L, 13" W 30" L, 38" W 13 1/4" L,
Below those all 34 1/2" L -
33" W, 15 " W

Shelves I put in are 11" D, and 97 1/2" L, 1" thick red oak stained/washed

All estimated but close.

I measured the space from the windows to the wall; left is 21 1/2" and the same on the right.
The space on the right and left of the patio doors; from immoveable door to the wall with the windows is
19 1/2" and the other side is 13 1/8" approximately of course.
January 23, 2013 at 10:27am   
wmpj
It's difficult to tell from the pictures how the kitchen is laid out. Can you post a layout of the kitchen? Right now, I'm thinking the wall where all of your canned items are could have wall to wall cabinets installed for pantry items and small appliances.
January 23, 2013 at 10:34am     
tcalderon
It's a galley kitchen. I created and put up those shelves holding the small appliances several years ago; made out of one inch red oak stained/washed to match the cabinets.
The metal stand holding the canned goods is moveable, and so is the cabinet which is also a serving cart if you want to use it that way.
January 23, 2013 at 10:47am   
tcalderon
One nieghbor when redoing the kitchen took a part of the entire wall and moved it 3 feet into the garage to gain more space. There is a bathroom behind the built in double oven so can't move that part of the wall, but they moved the rest.
January 23, 2013 at 10:48am     
mollythecollie
I have a white utility cabinet that I use to store many items. Plus we added a small bathroom cabinet right beside it, that my husband added a premade shelf on to the top of the cabinet. That gave me room for my microwave and toaster oven. Glass shelves for items I want to display go above the cabinet. You could do that where you currently have the metal shelves. I also only have things that I use several times a week on my small counter space, ie coffee maker. Things like electric can opener, I gave away and use a hand held opener. (Takes less space). Things that I use only a few times a year such as canner, picnic basket are now stored in the garage. I also went through all of my bowls, mixing spatulas, etc. and got rid of the old ones and now have only a minimum of each. I also pretended that we were going to move and what would I take if I was moving into a very small apartment, and having to pay to move every item. It would cost a minimum of $1 per pound to move! You might be surprised at how much you could pare things down, and that would give you more room.

I do want you to know that I love your bright and cheerful eating area.

Hope this helps. Will try to add a picture. The "lady" beside the tall cabinet, holds plastic bags.
January 23, 2013 at 10:49am     
tcalderon
This is a good idea but would have to see how much space would be left in the dinette area.
My boyfriend wants to get new cabinets, countertop, sink, faucet, stove/oven, flooring, even possibly some new lighting but within a reasonable budget. This is a big project. He also wants to get rid of that cabinet, canned goods somewhere else, etc. It's a big problem.
January 23, 2013 at 10:59am     
Jayme H.
From what I can see, that wall with the shelving and wire shelving unit could be a whole wall of built in's. Don't think stock cabinets would work as they would be too deep/stick out too far.
January 23, 2013 at 11:09am     
michigammemom
tcalderon, you are fortunate to have the dine-in area of your kitchen and you can certainly create some covered storage on the wall where you now have your open shelves. A wall to wall built-in unit would be ideal, but if that is not in the budget there are many more affordable free standing pantry units much like molliethecollie has pictured. Most importantly you need to edit and purge those kitchen items that are rarely used if you have limited storage. Your goal should be to leave only essentials on the counters so that you have uncluttered work space.
January 23, 2013 at 11:11am     
apple_pie_order
The floor plan will be useful. Would you please go over it again with a Sharpie dark pen and repost it? The lettering and numbers are not quite readable.

Have you settled on a budget yet? For under $1000, you can do several things to help with storage and organization.
January 23, 2013 at 11:11am     
PRO
January 23, 2013 at 11:17am     
PRO
Dura Supreme Cabinetry
Where your pans are hanging, I would but some cabinets going up, but leaving an opening to keep the open feel to the dining area. This will give you more room to hide the clutter. Similar to this endcap divider...

January 23, 2013 at 11:18am     
sstarr
mollythecollie's suggestions are excellent. Her storage solution would be very good for your situation, too.
January 23, 2013 at 11:20am     
Jayme H.
Looking at it again, it looks like a dining room wall where all the things are..Now definately think that whole wall could be closed, built in storage.
January 23, 2013 at 11:22am     
tinksama
You should attack this storage problem from two directions.
1.) Severely reduce the number of things that you have. Be merciless with yourself. The pots/pans you have "close for ease of use" should be your only pots and pans. If you can't make yourself get rid of things, pack every single thing in that kitchen into well-labeled boxes... and live out of them for six weeks. You'll find out how much Tupperware you actually need, and if you really use that food processor. If you don't NEED to get something out of the box... get it out of your house. Sell it, donate it. Count how many canned goods you use in a week, and don't have more than twice that unless you get snowed in often. It's harsh, but it's ultimately relieving to get rid of stuff.
2.) Beef up what storage you have. The hanging pots works really well over the peninsula. Remove those soffits and run the cabinets all the way to the ceiling. A stove instead of the wall oven/range will take less space. Get the microwave off a counter, and put a microwave/vent over the cooktop. The best way to add counter space would be to turn the wall with the shelves into an additional run of cabinets. You can only do that if you reduce the amount of things you store there. If you can't reduce things enough to add counter space, a pantry-style cabinet with doors would hide all sorts of evil, and fit well in the space.

January 23, 2013 at 11:24am     
PRO
Dura Supreme Cabinetry
I would also add more storage solutions to help you keep your new kitchen clutter free. Here are a few I think will help you a lot.

This solution will help you store two rows of utensils, or keep a knife block off your counter for more space and doubling up your drawer space…
Urban Loft - Storage Solutions 1
Urban Loft - Storage Solutions 2
Urban Loft - Storage Solutions 3

Adding pull-outs will allow you to make more of the space and be able to reach all the way to the back easily and quicker. You’ll waist less food too with all your forgotten pantry items that get tucked in the back of the cabinet.
Urban Loft - Storage Solutions 4
Urban Loft - Storage Solutions 5
Urban Loft - Storage Solutions 6

Make most of your corner spaces with these!
Urban Loft - Storage Solutions 7
Urban Loft - Storage Solutions 8
Storage Solutions

Store your pans in a deep drawer by your Cooktop with storage for your lids as well.
Urban Loft - Storage Solutions 9
Urban Loft - Storage Solutions 10

For tall storage and appliance storage use a tall appliance door cabinet with shelves you can adjust to your needs.
Urban Loft - Storage Solutions 11
Urban Loft - Storage Solutions 12
Urban Loft - Storage Solutions 13

Add a small rollout drawer to tuck away your smaller bakeware tools so they don’t get lost like your cookie cutters and measuring spoons.
Urban Loft Living

Use that extra thin space for a thin cabinet with a spice rack.
Cottage Kitchen - Personal Touches

Or put a spice rack in a drawer…
Transitional and Timeless

These are just a few ideas to get you thinking. I would really focus on taller cabinets and more storage solutions to make your life easier and manage the clutter. I hope this helps.
January 23, 2013 at 11:33am     
nasmijati
If the soffits above the kitchen cabinets do not house ductwork, remove them and extend the cabinets all the way to the ceiling.
January 23, 2013 at 11:38am     
PRO
Dura Supreme Cabinetry
eztia - I agree completely! That extra space will make a huge difference.
January 23, 2013 at 11:46am   
tcalderon
I will put the cabinet sizes in the original comment/problem at the bottom so everyone can see the sizes if needed. I posted the sizes near the top under the last photo posted.
January 23, 2013 at 12:02pm     
Sharyn
Please don't take this the wrong way, but I think if you met with a professional organizer it would help you out a lot. Sometimes we need an outsider to access the situation and provide options we haven't thought of. You definitely have a storage issue. I like the suggestion stated above to put all your stuff in boxes and work from there. I would start with a clean slate, bare bones and re-access your space. Good luck - post after pictures.
January 23, 2013 at 12:05pm     
bygeorgi
It appears to be a good size galley kitchen, but I empathize with you, I have no linen closets and not much storage in my 700 sq ft home either. But I have managed to keep counter tops clean etc , before you do anything bite the bullet and purge. Keep small appliances that you actually use, and only one or two of each kitchen things like cake pans etc, maybe a small amount of plastic containers, Who needs 40 coffee cups or baskets full of spatulas... you don't. After purging the space will feel so much better, sit down and draw a kitchen lay out... keep comfort and convenience in mind, what do you use daily? defining how you want to use the kitchen will make the design clearer- ......maybe a spot just for cute cream n sugar jars and a coffee maker ... two tall pantries in the dining area , flanking some counter top creating a place for a chair wall cabinets above, then you will have a spot for doing paper work , bills... in the kitchen upper cabinets that go to the ceiling will help. The layout really seams fine to me... just new finishes according to your taste. A tile floor like in the photo would be nice with your dark woods.....
January 23, 2013 at 12:10pm     
bygeorgi
Also it is great and more convenient to have deep drawers near the oven for storage of heavy pots and pans ...If you are a baker maybe adding some butcher block....
January 23, 2013 at 12:20pm     
lefty47
HI -- best advice for you right now , - visit some kitchen cabinet design shops - even IKEA -- then have a kitchen designer in to your home to measure etc. Make sure they are a designer and not just a cabinet sales person . You have to decide what your budget is and what style you want and check out the cabinet quality with differant companies . If you have a dining room that gets little use . If so then maybe the eating area in the kitchen can be taken over into the kitchen design . How much do you want to remodel to get a better kitchen etc. Many ways to go . If you decide to get a new kitchen ,then get cabinets that are full height (42 inch uppers). Anyway what I am saying is you need more help than anyone here can give you online.You need someone that can go and see your space and give you a plan.
January 23, 2013 at 12:22pm     
curacaoblue
Please know that I intend for this to sound positive... I think you need to concentrate on the issue of condensing your stuff before tackling a remodel. It will make your life easier in many ways. I can see that there is a lot of stuff that is not needed and should either be sold or donated. After you get an idea of what you actually own you'll have a better idea of how to best model the space for your enjoyment. Fwiw I lived in an apt with a smaller galley kitchen than this and it is possible to get it under control. I felt much less overwhelmed and more open. I wish you luck
January 23, 2013 at 12:24pm     
PRO
Dura Supreme Cabinetry
lefty47 – I agree, I would go to a professional kitchen designer and have them work with you and your budget.

Most of our Dura Supreme dealers are small shops with talented designers that will give you one on one service. If you need help locating a place, you can contact me or use our showroom locator and interview a few designers until you find one you’ll work best with.
http://www.durasupreme.com/dealer-locator
January 23, 2013 at 12:28pm     
tcalderon
I am a baker. These are really good suggestions so far. Keep them coming if you have any.
January 23, 2013 at 12:29pm     
Jeri
I would suggest putting in a breakfast nook with benches instead of your wire seating so you can add more storage in the benches.
January 23, 2013 at 12:31pm     
fairviewbonnie
I love and agree with all the purging comments. That is the first place to start. It took me years to realize that I did not need all the "stuff." Learn to live with the cabinets you have and not the other way around. Living with less is a wonderful thing. You have so many canned goods that I bet it is hard to know what you have. You might check the expiration dates on the cans, because that may eliminate many of the cans in the back of your shelves. You have plenty of storage suggestions above, which look wonderful. If you have a low budget, running a rod with fabric on grommets would at least hide what is being stored in part of that room. If you do not have a wall to attach the rod, then you can hang two small chains from the ceiling to hold the rod. Good luck.
January 23, 2013 at 12:32pm     
tcalderon
What the kitchens in my subdivision do not have is a desk in the kitchen area.
January 23, 2013 at 12:34pm     
PRO
Dura Supreme Cabinetry
curacaoblue - I think with the proper sized storage and storage solutions, all of tcalderon's items could be stored with little purging. There is the space, just not the storage. There could even be a breakfast nook installed instead of the dining room table to offer storage under the seating.
January 23, 2013 at 12:37pm     
Marilyn Wilkie
I have to agree with some of the other posters here. You have way too much stuff. Much of it looks like things that you really don't need. Some of it looks like it could be stored elsewhere. Maybe reorganizing the storage that you do have would help. I think I would remove everything, sorting it into boxes (throw away, donate, keep, store, etc. Get the surfaces cleared. Only then will you know what you really need and where you have to put it. Ikea has 12 1/2" deep base cabinets. I hope I don't sound too brutal, but sometimes we can't see the forest for the trees.
January 23, 2013 at 12:39pm     
PRO
Dura Supreme Cabinetry
Jeri - Looks like you beat me to it, on posting about a breakfast nook! LOL
January 23, 2013 at 12:41pm   
victorianbungalowranch
I would suggest excess canned goods and such in the garage, or maybe even the closet. Narrow shelves just below or above eye level work well--too deep and too low or too high makes it too hard to figure out what you have. My mother used to keep all the canned goods on some shelves by the basement stairs.

I live in snow country and it is nice to have some extra for when it is hard to get to the market, or for when the power goes out and other emergencies. I do rotate my "emergency" stock about once a year so that nothing is too old, and periodically try to eat out of the freezer and cupboard so the excess doesn't build up and I don't waste too much food.

I have some similar storage issues and keep the most frequently used pantry items in the easiest to reach places, and rotate in stuff from the harder to reach places as things are used, about once a week before I shop, or if I have a little time while something is cooking.

My kitchen dates from 1962 with site-built non-adjustable cabinets and blind corners. So shelf organizers and bins help a great deal. I put some bins on some lower shelves to hold cereal on one shelf and baking stuff on another--much easier to pull out to see what you got than digging around on your hands and knees. I retrofitted half of another cabinet for cookie sheets and pans, stored vertically. I use dishpans under the sink for the cleaning supplies, and some coffee cans in some deep drawers in a similar manner to store small items.

I too have too many pots and pans and such because I like to cook--purging some did help. In the past I used thin plastic stacking shelves for the plastic containers--one drawer for lids and the other for the bowls, and separated the round from the rectangular. Unfortunately my present kitchen (less than 8 x 10) is so small I no longer have room for that, I invested in new multi-purpose glass storage containers that stack to save on the plastic container mess, and purged the rest to only a few.

I also put a pegboard on the wall next to the fridge to help store pans with awkward handles, which also keeps them conveniently at hand. I have about 6" which allows me to reach in to grab a pan, and in the past used that space for the brooms and whatnot--which are now hanging in the hallway. Little shelves and a rail system on the backsplash have helped as well.
January 23, 2013 at 1:18pm     
bygeorgi
Ah ha ... I knew you were a baker, me too .... then why not display like I said , what you use daily or often at least. Large glass canisters with cute scoops for sugar and flour, I always have a couple cute aprons hanging... create storage for all the things that aren't pretty , like the food dehydrator,I got one too and make pretty storage for those you need to have out, group like things that function together .... a ceramic vase for those everyday cooking utensils. Besides the butcher block having a stone solid surface counter top is also great , quartz is easy to keep up.Don't forget lighting and introducing a soft surface like panel curtains or a pretty fabric on a breakfast nook as suggested.... your kitchen can be a haven and not just a storage facility... think about what make you happy to guide the redesign.
January 23, 2013 at 1:26pm     
PRO
Dura Supreme Cabinetry
victorianbungalowranch - I agree with your canned goods comment. If you have standard cabinets this is very true, you lose track of what you already have, forget to use up old food because it’s sitting in the back, or stop storing items in your cabinets because it’s difficult to dig them out. However, add some pull-outs and you will now have access to your goods including the ones all the way in the back. Like these examples… With the amount of pantry goods tcalderon stores, I’d highly recommend a tall pull-out like this last shot and one or more short ones for her lower cabinets.

Urban Loft - Storage Solutions 1
Urban Loft - Storage Solutions 2
Urban Loft - Storage Solutions 3

Toward the beginning of this video after the pan roll-out, you can see me pulling out the tall pull-out. I’m about 5’ tall and I can see everything at eyelevel easily with this high of a cabinet. I can also see the foods from both sides. I can guarantee right now there is a lot of dead or non-functional space in her current cabinets that are causing her items to flow to the counters. For someone who packs their cabinetry tight this is a wonderful helper!

January 23, 2013 at 1:42pm   
nvcowgirl
Please update us as you go along. I have some of the same challenges regarding space/storage in my 1930s era kitchen so am interested in seeing what solutions you adopt.
January 23, 2013 at 1:48pm     
yvonnecmartin
I don't know how much space you have in the eating area, but you could use a banquette bench-type seating that has lots of storage under the bench. Most of your appliances would fit in there. You might also have room for one or two corner cabinets in that area. They hold an amazing amount of stuff.

Of course, paring down can also help. When I lived with a tiny kitchen I refused gifts of such things as electric can openers, rice cookers, etc because there was no place to keep them. I also stored big things that are used infrequently in the basement, covered in plastic of course. Our overflow pantry was also in the basement. Only what I needed that day was upstairs. Note: after we moved from that house to a larger ranch I gained ten pounds because I didn't need to do the stairs so often!
January 23, 2013 at 2:00pm     
apple_pie_order
tcalderon: Thank you for posting the measurements. You have a galley kitchen with 9 feet on either side, including fridge, and a 9 or 10 foot dining area. You are a baker, so baking space and equipment is high priority for you. Your baking, measuring and shelf construction indicate you are comfortable with numbers, so here it is. You have 50% more on your counters than could possibly fit in your cabinets. The dining area shelves are already full and then some. It's probably fair to say that most of the things on the counters are actually getting used fairly frequently, and the things in the cabinets are not getting used as much. So clearing off the counters means finding new places for things you use a lot and getting rid of things you don't use. You need to get rid of at least 30% of your stuff.

Let's go with the baking as a goal. I suggest you sit down at the table with some coffee and imagine how you would bake if you had space to work in the kitchen. Collect the baking supplies on the table. Then decide which cabinets are best for baking supplies. Start by getting rid of excess things, as recommended by so many posters, in those cabinets. When you have emptied those cabinets, put your baking supplies such as bowls and cake pans and so forth in there. Put the flour in the fridge, not on the counter, the fridge keeps flour fresher. If your fridge is full, you need to do a fridge purge. Often the bulkiest stuff in the kitchen is plastic: plastic Tupperware, plastic bags, plastic bins, plastic bottles and plastic cups. Match up the pieces and discard the rest.

There are good pull out shelves you can buy online for $30-$60 each. Two of them might be perfect for the cabinets under the cooktop. You can also use plastic trays instead of pull out shelves. They are much cheaper, see http://www.amazon.com/Fast-Food-Tray-Slate-Blue/dp/B0018OVG1E

I agree with other posters that floor to ceiling closed cabinets in the dining area where you have the wire rack, the cart, and the custom made 8-foot shelves would be an excellent use of space. Canned stuff can be kept on shelves that are waist-level to eye-level. Ikea Billy bookcases are fine, and you can buy them in white with doors.

I also agree that a great investment of $100 or so would be a couple of hours with a professional organizer.
January 23, 2013 at 2:32pm     
tcalderon
The kitchen is an approximate 9' by 10'. I have raised my children, and if I were to stay here then one day there may be grandkids running around. If I sell then the new owners would probably be raising a family also since the area has great school, etc. I would like to do more cooking and baking. Last year I just bought more baking supplies and are in one of the cabinets. I have another cabinet full of more baking supplies above and below the built in oven. I use a lot of spices. I haven't had time to put the new flour in the refrig yet, and have purged a few items out of the refrig and shelves recently. I haven't used Tupperware in a long time but those bins on the floor near the microwave are full of Tupperware including those two baskets on the shelves. I got rid of many plastic bottles, and have plastic cups that my boyfriend tells me to get rid of and just use glass, which is a good idea and suppose to be healthier.

Over the years I have put in pull out baskets in many of the shelves in the cabinets which I bought at The Container Store. That did make it easier to find things much quicker and without a hassle. I'm also an artsy fartsy type of person so like some art or creative things around. I am also a very functional type of person, and like things organized though you couldn't tell by this kitchen. I know where everything is at least.

If I get a new stove/oven that eliminates those shelves. If I get a pantry somewhere that eliminates the canned goods, tea, etc. on the metal rack. Where do the pots/pans, small appliances, and other things go, I'm wondering.

I do love some of these ideas. It's the budget I'm thinking about. Years ago I had a designer come in and he suggested that dinette set and the serving cart which was not used in the dining room much at all. It just ended up staying where it is right now.

How much space does a kitchen usually need? Is it by the number of people living in the place? This house has three bedrooms and a possible one downstairs.

I do know that the patio door is a pain. I don't really use the second door. It's only there for light and drafts that come through both doors.
January 23, 2013 at 5:46pm     
apple_pie_order
You asked "How much space does a kitchen usually need? Is it by the number of people living in the place?"

A 9 by 10 foot kitchen with a separate dining area is plenty of space for four people, IME, when cooking is done every day.

I think your budget would be best served by bringing in a professional organizer for a couple of hours.
January 23, 2013 at 6:25pm     
tcalderon
9 1/2' by 10' kitchen and a 9' by 10' dinette area are correct. This house could have potentially 6 to 8 people when I think about it.

If I have windows on one wall and the patio doors on the other, what type of built in seating would be a good solution if I chose to go that way?

If I had a wall of cabinets, should there be a space for a desk or not?

I'm not the type for a creamer, sugar bowl, napkin holder, etc. I like to keep things in the refrig, or sealed very tight.

I remember one neighbor refused a microwave above the cooktop/oven because the new vent he chose was easier to clean rather than the bottom of the microwave. So, he kept his small microwave on the counter. He has a beautiful big vent that goes to the ceiling and looks like he's got more space because of it. His kids are grown, and grandkids are getting older as in high school senior year.

There is another issue I have thought about, and that is lower back pain which I get occasionally so the built in oven is nice to have but a range/oven stand alone saves space.

Keep those ideas coming since it all helps.
January 23, 2013 at 6:50pm     
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Email me. I did a rendering of the space.. g(dot)em(at)usa(dot)com I want to hear your thoughts
January 23, 2013 at 8:35pm   
tcalderon
I measured the space from the windows to the wall; left is 21 1/2" and the same on the right.
The space on the right and left of the patio doors; from immovable door to the wall with the windows is
19 1/2" and the other side is 13 1/8" approximately of course.
January 23, 2013 at 8:58pm     
gillianlf
Is your breakfast area essencial or could you use a separate dining room instead, and use the breakfast room space to extend the kitchen work and storage space. Also, Its hard to tell from your drawing and pictures, but I'm assuming there is not enough space for an island even if you removed the peninsula and the breakfast nook. Just a couple things to think about. Good luck
January 23, 2013 at 9:00pm   
tcalderon
I have a separate dining room. People with islands use stools and the island for eating. The subdivision I am located in didn't really design that in the kitchen many years ago. Most people still have a similar design they started out with.
January 23, 2013 at 9:12pm     
tcalderon
The opening going into the kitchen has some dimensions. On the built in oven side is 31 1/2" and on the other side by the refrigerator is 47 1/2" from the prospective walls.
January 23, 2013 at 9:18pm     
tcalderon
The opening to walk into the kitchen is only 42 1/4".
January 23, 2013 at 9:26pm   
nikitasmom
I like that you are considering everything. Do you really need a desk area? If so then perhaps you can have one of the cabinent doors made to open down and become a desktop. That way everything can stay tucked away and if you don't end up using it then it can be used for additional storage for your baking supplies.
I replaced my double oven with one oven and a microwave/confection unit on top. It is all metal and cleans very easily. But then I don't have to stand on a stool to clean it. That could be another post for you make if you decide to change your cabinets and replace the appliances. At 5' 1" tall I know I would not care to lift hot liquids down towards my face. It would be interesting to hear from others what their experiences have been. So many great ideas from others for you to work with. I did find two links on using cabinets to build banquets that might interest you. http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/article/0%2C%2C20159107%2C00.html
and http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to-build-window-seat-from-wall-cabinets/index.html
January 23, 2013 at 10:52pm   
tcalderon
.I didn't know they made a microwave/confection oven combination. Very interesting.
January 23, 2013 at 11:36pm     
PRO
Dura Supreme Cabinetry
I think you have plenty of room along the wall by the can rack and cart. I would add a desk like this along with floor to ceiling cabinets to each side which one side can hold your pantry items and the other side could hold your appliances and misc items. Appliances that you don't use often could be placed above the desk.

With this desk, you can tuck a stool under the desk when you have guests to make space. Plus you will still have storage above and below. The Apothecary drawers will help you keep clutter off the best, but easy to reach. You'll also have a small dedicated space for photos and art on the shelf. I also find a bulletin board as the backspash to a desk helps me keep organized as well. Plus it could display family photos and christmas cards too!

January 24, 2013 at 6:50am   
nvcowgirl
In my last house, I installed a micro/convection combination. I love that microwave -- it was smarter than me! If I redo my kitchen, I will spend the $$ for that one again. It's not quite the same as having double ovens, but it's close.
January 24, 2013 at 6:55am     
Sharyn
I had to come back..this post kept me up last night ..thinking.
You have two options:
1) hire a contractor and gut this kitchen from wall to wall. Expect to spend $60K+ for moving walls, new cabinets, flooring appliances, furniture etc. If you plan on staying here and can afford it, go for this option.

2) Re-organize and make some changes yourself. I would recommend getting rid of your storage wall with the open shelving and racks. Replace with wall to wall cabinets and pantry cabinets. (Home Depot has a good basic affordable option, or buy wall units as MOLLIETHECOLLIE did above pictured) All that stuff should be behind doors, not exposed. Dedicate a weekend and REMOVE EVERYTHING from your cabinets and counters. Good time for a good cleaning. Re-assign your cabinet storage. ONE set of dishes (8), glasses, coffee cups nearest the dishwasher. Dry food/boxed items in another, can goods in another. Spices and baking supplies in another. Another for bowls and serving pieces. Lower cabinets should hold pots and pans, baking sheets. Under the sink should hold a garbage can (if it will fit) and cleaning supplies. Drawers should hold silverware, utensils, napkins and linens. No Junk drawers! Any remaining space should be used for your absolutely used weekly items. Put the wire shelf rack in the garage and use to store paper towels and rarely used appliances. Go to Wal-mart and buy some CLEAR shoebox type bins for flour, sugar, brown sugar, oats, rice etc. label them - avoid stock piling extra supplies. If you install the cabinet wall - the storage is unlimited with options. Just stay organized and prioritize.
Your counters should be have just a coffee maker and maybe a decorative bowl for fruit.
Prioritize your belongings - "Do I use it" "Do I really need it" "Can I store it somewhere else"
Once done with that - repaint your cabinets. Since the new cabinet wall won't match the existing, paint another color for interest or the same as the existing, it's your choice. Install new laminate counters since they are much cheaper than granite and in the future if you want to gut the kitchen, you wont feel bad tossing out the expensive granite. Remove the hanging pot rack, you wont need it.
Treat yourself to a new dinette set. Also new window treatments. You don't have to have top of the line - you'd be surprised what the big box stores have available without breaking the budget. If you keep the double oven, find some appliance paint and paint it. Buy a smaller counter micro, less than $100 (On sale around July August for those college bound kids!)
Your own labor is free, the purging and organizing will feel awesome. With a clean slate your creative juices will flow and make cooking/baking fun again.
Also, if you plan on selling - if a prospective buyer comes in and see's your lack of storage issues, they won't buy the house. You might as well make the changes now, enjoy them and then think of selling if you wish. YOU CAN DO IT!!!
January 24, 2013 at 7:24am     
PRO
Granite Transformations
I'd have to agree with the need to deal with your storage issue. I'd consider adding a pantry on the wall were your shelving and cans are now. I've attached a picture for you to look at, you might consider working with a designer to create something for your kitchen.

I think your existing cabinetry is fine, but I'd consider updating the hardware. Maybe a brushed nickel or copper, depending on the style you choose.

It would be helpful for you to make the decision on whether your remodeling to sell or stay though. If you're planning to move, you don't need to invest as much into your remodel. Here are a few helpful tips on kitchen remodeling from our site- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/services/kitchen-remodeling/

If you're planning to stay my recommendation would be matching stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, natural slate tile for the floor, new paint (either a grey or blue from Benjamin Moore- I like pewter), a mosaic tile backsplash, new pantry and new breakfast nook. I'll attach a few pictures for inspiration.

Good luck on your remodel! Would love to help if you have questions with design, pricing, etc.
January 24, 2013 at 7:29am     
nikitasmom
The mystery of the blue bins has been solved. Two bins filled with Tupperware that you never use. Use it or Sell it on craigslist or ebay. Spread it out on the table and let your kids pick, donate to charity whatever is left over. If you can't bear to part with them then at least put them in the garage but keep them in mind when you have the cabinets installed and make sure you will have room for them. Do the same with the baskets on the floor and the top shelf, or you can move them to the closets and use them to hold rolled up towels, mittens and scarfs, etc. I have a couple in my spare bedrooms holding guest towels, small shampoos, lotions etc. Now what is in the cardboard boxes? If it isn't kitchen related then find a new home for them. As well a for whatever you have stored in the cabinet that holds the microwave.
January 24, 2013 at 8:33am     
tcalderon
I like the idea of the tall cabinets; one for a desk and the other for a small appliance area or even a coffee/smoothie area and both would need an outlet nearby if free standing cabinets. I'm a book person also so have several recipe books. I'm working on the healthiest diet, but I tend to stray at times.

The area from the wall to the window is 21 1/2" and these cabinets might be bigger. The countertop I have near the stove is 24" and a little extra for the countertop. Would these cabinets be able to fit within that 21 1/2" space?

Thinking about the microwave/convection oven combination, I had a TV/VCR combo and it was tough to fix. I had no success with it. I'm wondering if that is a problem where it can't be fixed and then you have to get a new one. That also makes me question let's say this free standing oven with a convection combination using one oven. Any thoughts on this?

The box has paper plates, a microwave cornpopper, and napkins in it. The bags have a lot of coffee stuff for those coffee machines, and baking goods that are about to be used soon.

I hear you all. I need to start getting rid of things in one way or another.
January 24, 2013 at 9:57am     
Marilyn Wilkie
Sharyn said it all. Consider iKea cabinets. We did this whole kitchen for $22,000 including the appliances. We had some some outside labor on removing the wall, hanging drywall and a skylight, joining the butcher block for the island and installing the counters. . We did the rest ourselves..removing 3 closets, assembling and installing the cabinets, porcelain floor, glass tile backsplash, hanging the fan, electrical, plumbing, etc. Friends and family members can be a great resource. I went with laminate counters. I like them very much. The next owner in a couple of years can install granite if they want it. I didn't.
January 24, 2013 at 10:34am     
tcalderon
I do have plastic containers for salt, sugar, brown sugar, flour on the counter as you can see. Also notice the intercom/radio, and the old phone still on the wall. I use plastic containers for pasta as you can see.

I am about to go through a lot of my cleaning supplies and if I don't need them then get rid of them. I am on the organic route, but that little voice in my head says use it and then don't buy any more.

I decided to go through the pots a few weeks ago, and found two I didn't need. I put them in the recycle bin and then thought maybe I could use them for something else so put them in the garage. This is my problem. I acquired this habit from my mother who threw away nothing until it couldn't be salvaged. She used to even darn socks. I know this is a problem but it can only be done a little at a time. Maybe I should wish for a tornado and then wouldn't have to worry about it.

I must admit with the help of my boyfriend very recently we got rid of very old VCRs and a combo TV which he sold for parts. He is also working to get rid of a karoki machine which was a gift and a few boxes of other items for me. I'll tell you one thing. If anyone needs something, I probably have it from shoe horns to soap.

Incidentally, those boxes near the entry way are not kitchen stuff and need to be put in the basement. They are house supplies that are extra. We were looking for parts to fix something.
January 24, 2013 at 11:18am     
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
I didn't agree with the 60k on the project. Yes, it is possible to reach that number if you are not cautious, prudent and wise. But on the flip side, I don't agree with IKEA either. I am looking at your latest pictures and have no idea your location but we can talk about what is possible with your project and see the alternative solutions. Once you are thrilled and we've come to the decided end results...we'll post for everyone to see what you plan to do. That will beat 60k and IKEA results. (sorry guys who posted them...really. I know you mean well. But we've got alternatives.)
January 24, 2013 at 11:32am     
nikitasmom
You don't have to get a combo unit. Just an oven with a shelf above to hold the other will work. Honestly, we got lucky as I wanted a double oven look but we were limited to 27" width and the pickings were both slim and pricey. Finally found the kitchenaid combo on craigslist for $500 because the guy was remodeling and going larger. It has been 2 years and everything is working perfectly. I have included a picture of ours which shows we needed to add a shelf to the opening above the microwave. The other is just an idea of what to do with two different units. And I am going to pitch my fold down desk theory one more time as I think you could use the extra storage option it gives. The image is just to show the concept.
January 24, 2013 at 11:39am     
tcalderon
The kitchen looks very nice. I am in Darien, IL. I have to also say I am a wood lover. I love wood. I love to see the grain. The cost has to be kept down quite low. I don't know if the soffits have any ducts in them. Off hand I would guess and say no. They are probably filled with new insulation that got put in a little over a year or so. I don't know how much all that would cost to remove the soffits. Many people like the cabinets, and I had the idea a long time ago to just clean and sand them, and restain/wash them again probably with the same color, and put them back. But my boyfriend says they are old style and outdated. Someone told me that they don't make those T-hinges I have any more when I was asking about the cabinets. You would think they would have standardized hinges so you don't have to spend a lot of money to redo a cabinet at some point.
January 24, 2013 at 11:50am   
tcalderon
I don't have a problem with any of the hinges I might add. This is a lot to think about as you might think. I haven't redone a kitchen like this at all. I like the idea of the microwave above and out of the way also. I also like it where there is a space to put the dish or cup nearby. I honestly don't know what is the best place for a microwave in a kitchen. All I know is that I have to take several steps to get to mine, back and forth all the time.
January 24, 2013 at 11:58am     
Marilyn Wilkie
TGM Cabinets, did she hire you to do this? You make it sound like she did already. And I assume you don't like Ikea (25 year warranty) cabinets because you don't sell them?
January 24, 2013 at 12:01pm     
tcalderon
I also might add I have 3 drawers of utencils and one of them is the big drawer just below the cooktop. I have an organized drawer for the knives and another for the flatware. I have a lot of spices, cups, organic supplements, dishes, bowls, a drawer of miscellaneous items, etc. This whole thing started when my boyfriend wanted to get me a new faucet and looked at it and said he couldn't put a new faucet on that sink. Then, he expanded it to the countertop, cooktop, cabinets, etc. As you can tell my head was spinning and still is.
January 24, 2013 at 12:08pm     
Sigrid
It's worth noting that by standards of European apartments, that's a huge kitchen with tons of storage. The problem is you have enough stuff for a designer's dream of a kitchen and you have a pretty average one. I've lived in plenty of apartments with smaller kitchens.
January 24, 2013 at 12:09pm     
sstarr
IKEA cabinets are very good quality, and affordable compared to many other options. I put in an entire IKEA kitchen in 2005, in a house I was selling; the kitchen ended up being the most attractive feature to buyers. So I wouldn't rule them out at all, depending on your budget. You can design the layout yourself, or hire someone to do it. You can also install a few cabinets now (like on your kitchenette wall), and more later.
January 24, 2013 at 12:59pm     
PRO
Dura Supreme Cabinetry
Dura Supreme is backed by LIFETIME warranty! ;) It is custom and semi-custom allowing you to do more and affordable as well.
January 24, 2013 at 1:21pm     
bygeorgi
I must agree with Marilyn Wilkie..... check out I kea, great prices and quality which I know surprises people... It's so not necessary to spend 60k on a kitchen remodel... and if you want to spend alot less and you are up to the DIY or have some help from family it is still possible to have a pretty and functional kitchen on a tight budget .These pics are before and after photos ...total spent about $1400. that includes two new appliances, every surface has been redone, granite counter tops, new lighting, farmhouse sink, tile floors, etc.... Sorry can't seem to find a clear one of the after, but you can see the difference......
January 24, 2013 at 1:53pm     
tcalderon
I'm thinking you meant $14000 with granite counter and more. I love your sink with lots of room. My double sink is a pain to deal with since big items don't fit in them. Looks nice for sure.

There is no way anyone is going to pay $60,000 for a new kitchen. That is way out of line in a budget for a kitchen unless you are buying top of the line everything, and you are a professional chef. That is how I am thinking. I would love to cook more and be comfortable in a redone kitchen but I am only on step one.
January 24, 2013 at 2:05pm     
PRO
Dura Supreme Cabinetry
I agree, you don't need to spend $60k for a kitchen. I would find a good kitchen designer and have them work with your budget to meet your needs.
January 24, 2013 at 2:08pm   
nikitasmom
Thanks. It isn't a dream kitchen but sometime one has to work within their budget. I too have a difficult time of letting things go. Either they are sentimental, or I could need/use them in the future, or I know their value and felt like I was throwing away my hard earned money. I filled 3 long shelves in my garage with items I thought to sell on Ebay. After sitting on those shelves for over a year I had my husband take them to Goodwill and all I felt was freedom. They are filled again and this time I can't wait to get them emptied.

I live in California. To have a contractor come in and redo an entire kitchen your size, including new appliances and floors would cost anywhere from 30,000 and up. Updating/upgrading a kitchen like yours should also increase the value of the house. You would be without use of the kitchen for approximately one month or longer. But that is in California. Where you are the costs could be much lower.
January 24, 2013 at 2:15pm     
Sharyn
You'd be surprised how fast the money adds up in a kitchen redo, especially if you are gutting it. I priced out new cabinets from Cabinets To Go (I have 24 cabinet units total) It came to $24,000 materials only! (I don't know what install would have cost me) New counters were $6k for granite, $2500 for laminate. Now add in a backsplash, new sink, faucet, appliances, decor, furniture, lighting and flooring = 5-10K+ If you're hiring a contractor to move walls, reinstall drywall, paint and trim add another 8-15k. This was my redo estimate, I about died!!
January 24, 2013 at 2:27pm     
sstarr
Our IKEA kitchen came to just over $20,000, which included new black granite countertop and wide peninsula, extending solid hardwood through the kitchen, all new SS appliances (except refrig), some glass front units, interesting lighting throughout. The nearest estimate we got from a kitchen guy was $40,000 for much less. Not saying this was easy... we hired an installer who required management, but got luckier with the plumber and electrician.
January 24, 2013 at 2:44pm     
bygeorgi
No... Fourteen hundred dollars...not 14k.... And done in southern CA -$0 on labor this is dIY... granite yards in El Monte will cut for you if you supply the measurements, two 9 ft slabs were about $400.. good part of the budget, granite is actually easy to install done in an afternoon and took only the strength of two ladies to do this... appliances are dirt cheap but new and stainless steel, craigslist....farmhouse sink and faucet both from Ikea, sink $185, faucet 50... large flooring tiles on sale home depot about $ . 68 a sq ft... some paints and glass for shelves and doors cut from old windows , cheap back splash tile, pulls from habitat for Humanity, and a couple cans from the depot etc etc....Its not a high end kitchen because we kept the original groovy cabinets but certainly nice. I'm not saying this is for everyone, you really need some better than average DIY skills and willing to bust your butt haha.... but most folks can save a bundle on renos if they just shop around, go to the source of products ,do some of the work themselves and plan, plan plan.......
January 24, 2013 at 2:54pm     
tcalderon
That sounds wonderful and well within my budget as anyone's. I'm not big on tile, and want a red oak floor in the kitchen, dinette, and foyer including closet to match the rest of the house. You are my kind of person; interested to do a project, creative, handy, looking for the best deal, and like to research and find what you are looking for. Plus you do like to get it all done the way you feel it should be. Very nice, indeed.
January 24, 2013 at 8:48pm     
apple_pie_order
The red oak floor would be beautiful in the kitchen.

I second the suggestion of flylady for getting our kitchens in shape.
http://www.flylady.net/d/getting-started/31-beginner-babysteps/
January 25, 2013 at 7:33am     
bygeorgi
Tcalderon... Did you say there are wood floors running through the adjoining rooms? This is why I would suggest a tile... other wise you need to match up using the same exact or extremely close flooring, Hopefully...that is available, better check on that before you make other choices... Flooring companies make slight changes in what looks like the same thing other than the finish... the thickness should match , width and length of the planks also...btw don't get caught up just in the design of the kitchen.... technical things like the flooring match, placement of outlets,electrical, plumbing etc are really important in the overall out come...and cost! Lots of people are giving good advice on finishes and making it pretty and functional but there is more to remodeling a kitchen than that.
I would invest in matching up that flooring, new counter tops, back splash and the addition of cabinetry in the dining area... DIY on the cabinet faces and doors, unless new is in the budget ,you'll find cabinetry is the most costly upgrade... and shop around for the wall oven cook top replacements. Gee..I wish you were in Ca I could save you a bundle...
January 25, 2013 at 9:40am     
tcalderon
Heh! I wish I was in CA also. It's getting colder here in IL. It snowed today a bit. I would love for you to help me. I see where you are coming from since cabinets seem to be quite expensive. Every day there is more input and research to be done. I have never done this before and most of what I have done before is usually always based on price or budget, and love to put some of my creativeness into anything to make it a part of your own. When people design something for you or chose something for you and if you really don't think about it, you either don't feel that comfortable with the selection or tend to take awhile to make it feel like it's your own. It's also a consideration whether you are going to take a big project and get really involved or let someone else do more of it based on a number of factors. Everyone on this site has had such good suggestioins, and I am taking it all in and thinking about it all. It's even based on how creative or whether you love doing this type of project including which part of the project you want to do, and how well you can do it and create a quality result so that someone will want to buy the home whenever it gets sold. There is a lot to consider. I love your determination and persistence to accomplish the great kitchen you created. Love your work!
January 25, 2013 at 4:45pm     
tcalderon
Yes, all the floors are red oak with just a protective shellac and was put in when the house was built. I really would like the oak floors in as many places as possible. I was even thinking about extending it in the bathrooms. I just happen to love wood. I'm not big on tile on the floor or where you have to clean, and that is because it gets dirty and it's hard to clean. A lot of things grow on grout. The only grout color that doesn't show dirt is grey since it looks dirty to begin with. Any comments on this? I do have a half bath off the foyer, and I am wanting to redo the floor in the foyer, hall closet, kitchen, and dinette area.

Also, no one is commenting on my idea about using half of the hall closet as a storage. Any comments about this?
January 25, 2013 at 5:10pm   
tcalderon
One neighbor had his floors sanded down when he was adding flooring (red oak) to an adjacent area. I am thinking that this is not a good idea. I thought they had some product or solution to redo a floor without losing a portion of the wood. I do have places that need to be redone where the tacking strips were nailed near the trim. I'm thinking there is a way to improve that in all the rooms without having to sand the red oak floor. I had pulled the carpet up in the last year or so in all the rooms that had the oak flooring. I need suggestions on this topic also. I appreciate all the comments with all the questions I have.
January 25, 2013 at 5:16pm   
bygeorgi
Thanks...I know how you feel ... the renos I have done were rentals and flips, not my personal taste. I love your old kitchen cabinets their my style But yep it's hard figuring this all out.... My best suggestion is really shopping around with measurements in hand you may find some in stock cabinetry at a good price or a super deal on flooring that will unable you to do all the things you want... the not so fun part is that kitchens sell houses so its best not to make them personal but stay classic. Btw I did a reno in Ohio and had to stop because the house wasn't ready for the heating system yet..... burrrrr.
January 25, 2013 at 5:25pm   
tcalderon
I'm really listening to your advice. I'm guessing you mean classic type of cabinets or what is showing in the magazines or online. Is that what you mean by classic?
January 25, 2013 at 5:49pm   
PRO
EZ~Honey Do Kitchens
Just thought I would chime in...got this far trying to see the floor plan to get a better idea of the space. Would you mind showing a floor plan of the kitchen and the adjoining rooms so we could get a feel for traffic flow? Also, have you thought about making a list of 'must haves' for your new kitchen based on your current use? Even as a designer, I sometimes find I am wanting the space to work harder than possible when less but efficient is sometimes better.
January 25, 2013 at 5:49pm   
tcalderon
I can do a traffic flow floor plan, but it will take some time. I haven't gotten to the point of must haves, but I can work on that also. Let me think about this and get back to you.
January 25, 2013 at 6:30pm   
bygeorgi
Tcalderon , By classic I mean styles that are not just "in " for a decade....no oak with arches... or more true to the era of the home.
White cabinets with a dark counter tops or a wood tone with a light counter top, wood floors...contrast is good... classic door styles like shaker , Kitchens that are less busy feel clean and fresh to new home buyers easier for them to see it work for them. Most folks appreciate these looks with modern up dates...like the one with dark shaker cabinetry below... it has an updated style due to the mosaic backsplash.
January 25, 2013 at 6:41pm     
Marti Lindsey
Go to IKEA...use their kitchen planner.
January 25, 2013 at 6:51pm     
bygeorgi
Heres a few more to dream about,... all classic with modern updates... I really love the one with painted pale grey cabinetry, grey is a hip color and classic. I wanna wake up to sunshine n have my coffee in that kitchen. Hope something inspires you.....
January 25, 2013 at 7:35pm   
PRO
Norm Walters Construction Inc.
Don't forget upgrading the electrical, a 1970's house is definately out date with respect to the electrical. You should have 8 separate circuits just for the kitchen, that's eight breakers. Two separate outlet circuits (GFCI'd), a separate circuit for each of these items: the range, over the range microwave, disposal, refrigerator, dishwasher, and lighting. Chances are you don't have enough room in the electrical panel and you would have to either install a new larger panel, or add a sub panel. Not as exciting as new cabinets I know. 8-)
January 25, 2013 at 7:41pm     
tcalderon
Well, my preference is the flat panel or anything with clean lines which would be more the shaker style or something similar to that style. I do like unique so the light grey doors are interesting. If I was a grey person which I am not the light would be preferred over a medium or dark grey. I love to see wood and the grain.

The silver small tile lines in the white/dark brown kitchen really catches my eye. It looks nice. I do like some glitziness in the kitchen, but again am not big on tile. I like something easier to clean and maintain than tile that has grout.

The trim in the house is this chocolate burgandy with some gold tones, so a medium brown stain is what I would go for to blend in with the trim with a red oak floor which is light with the contrasting medium brown color. So, I am headed in the right direction based on my personal preferences and what would probably go in the house.

At some point in my life I have wanted a big kitchen with a lot of space, but still haven't had one.... yet.
I do like the openness in any floor plan, which is a relatively important preference if and when I buy another house.

I actually do not like arches, but prefer straight clean lines.
January 26, 2013 at 1:43am   
tcalderon
I never thought about the electrical at all, and appreciate the comment regarding what would be needed.
January 26, 2013 at 1:47am   
Marilyn Wilkie
January 26, 2013 at 9:42am     
bygeorgi
Tcalderon.... sounds like You are figuring things out , thats great... like I said plan, plan....and its sounds like you are gonna have a kitchen that suits your style and great for resale.
January 26, 2013 at 10:01am   
PRO
EZ~Honey Do Kitchens
Ikea really gets great Kudos I see. I have actually never seen it in person but being a frameless cabinet line it sure makes sense to consider, given you will get more interior storage. However, they are not the only frameless cabinet available so you may want to shop around for the best price. I sell a frameless line that compares, just not sure on pricing differences. They are called Bellmont Cabinets and you may have a dealer in your area so you can see the quality. They just changed there shipping policy so you may be able to be able to get a better deal from an online retailer.
January 26, 2013 at 10:12am     
feeny
I have not used IKEA cabinetry, but I've been very impressed with the look of IKEA kitchens. For the price range they fit into, the details of styling are, IMO, much nicer than many of the comparably priced lines at, say, Home Depot or Lowes.
January 26, 2013 at 11:01am     
Sharyn
Look at Cabinets to Go (they are in the chicago area) online for ideas. http://www.cabinetstogo.com/kitchen_cabinets.asp One thing I was sold on was deep drawers for the lower cabinets. They have a beautiful affordable selection. They are a division of Lumber Liquidators.
January 26, 2013 at 11:15am   
PRO
EZ~Honey Do Kitchens
Interesting. I didn't know they were affiliated. Lumber liquidators sell one of my lines too. However, I can't endorse one of the line I have seen at Cabinets To Go. It has an all in one finish that is prone to flake off. FYI
January 26, 2013 at 11:52am   
Anita Bloom
Number one thing I suggest is find out how much you can spend and go from there.

I recommend Ikea, just flipped a house and turned an original 50's kitchen into the house's showpiece. It sold the house. Please see before and after. Entire kitchen soup to nuts, 10' x 12', was $12,000.
January 26, 2013 at 11:56am     
tcalderon
Well, I got some boxes from the garage and decided to start filling them up with things to redirect as I go along. Those two pots from the garage are going into one of the boxes to start. I'm starting on the counters first. The box they are going in will be the crafts/possible useables box. Remember I am a creative person (and need to do those types of things). I'll have a box for selling, one for donating, and another for needs to be fixed.

I posted one item on Craigslist and have a response already so need to talk to that person. I also have a posting on Freecycle.org to get rid of some old flour. Yes, the new flour is in the refrig along with some other flour I had in there. People can use it for crafts, making paper paste, etc.

I love the fact that I have a computer and the internet to help with these problems/issues/concerns. I have looked online at consumer reports and they suggest Lumber Liquidators so we will go there soon to see what they have and probably IKEA also. I think we will go to a Habitat for Humanity Store also since I know of one in the area. I checked Bellmont Cabinets online and there is no one within 50 miles of me so the computer said. I am hoping someone local will have a really low price once we figure all of this out.

I have found a place that buys metals in my area so have them on my list of possibilities. Any suggestion I will track down and consider, so I value your information and comments truly.

One interesting thing is that the new dishwasher is playing an important role in this endeavor. It makes me feel like I need to get things cleaned up, make things sparkle, and be mindful of the items I do have which leads into thinking about items I should probably get rid of; maybe some chipped dishes, plastic cups which everyone seems to be indicating I need to get rid of those even though they look pretty good, I imagine.

I did read the first step of flylady's babysteps and need to clean the sink. That would be a good idea even though the sink is considered one thing that needs replacing. I am learning a lot with this project, but it all can't be done in a few days. There is a lot to think about.

Over the years I do have some contact information of local handy people via Freecycle and neighbors. I am starting which is the main decision. After all these years maybe this will be the year I tackle some of my hindering habits, procrastinating ways at times, forgotten priorities of having more organization while maintaining those priorities and what all that entails. I have done some purges in the past and now it's time to start another one.

It's also interesting how just one item starts you to think of how that one item can be used. It has so many uses. You can tell I'm big on recycle, and community. Love to read more ideas, directed websites to view, email addresses I can contact you, etc.
January 26, 2013 at 12:00pm     
tcalderon
That's a very nice redo, and I see how it would sell the house; very nice.
January 26, 2013 at 12:01pm   
tcalderon
I have one location for Cabinets To Go, and need to find out what type of cabinets they sell.
January 26, 2013 at 12:56pm   
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
You are going to need to read the fine print and check the warranty on which cabinets they have. They will have the manufacturer in their name of the cabinet. They don't hide the name of the cabinet and they should also provide the specs/constriction. Despite that... most of the warranty according to their website is against their discretion. A warranty on 1-3 years is about what you'll get and I'd expect the cabients to last that long. Take that into consideration when dealing with these companies.
January 26, 2013 at 1:18pm   
PRO
EZ~Honey Do Kitchens
I am wondering if anyone on this thread would be interested in hearing about what to look for and places to buy kitchen cabinets from people in the trade. I know I am more off a techey person but not sure if anyone really cares about that when considering a purchase. Just curious.
January 26, 2013 at 1:45pm   
Marilyn Wilkie
tcalderon, I commend you for starting this process now. It is so easy to put it off, but so gratifying when you can see the difference. My husband has spent the afternoon doing the same thing in our garage. He wants to get a headstart on staging our home for sale in the not-too-distant future. Kudos to you!
January 26, 2013 at 1:48pm     
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Ez-Honey do,

I will share the same one I shared with Terri (the lady here asking for help) Brandom.com. I will share because you have already seen it on Extreme Home Makeover, HGTV and other cable shows. It's featured on my website http://tgmcabinets.weebly.com Brandom has a lifetime limited warranty. FYi: anything that says lifetime should read to see what they will uphold on any product. Unless it says the # of years then Lifetime warranty strictly noted is only held up by Federal Law 7 Years (that is a lifetime or OT Pentateuch lifetime )

Brandom's warranty states Lifetime for what the owners own the cabinets. Great unless you are selling right away. Then I'd request that the warranty be transferred to the new owners (make the request if you are selling and remodeling only for this reason).

I also suggested that Terri forego tearing down walls and place a semi-custom line that would allow her 27-30" deep cabinets on the base, 15" cabinets on the wall and place 2 pantry cabinets also extra deep. In her picture you can see the 96" long shelves on the other side of the peninsula. She has a long wall. She also has the ability to add depth. This places the burden of her expense on finding the right cabinets that will do what she needs. Give her extra depth to take up hiding everything she needs to hide.

Brandom could compete with Cabinet to go on price considering she is upgraded to extra depth and getting about double the cabinets if she utilizes the full length of that wall and getting a better warranty.

As an industry minded disclosing the cabinets of choice...I sell more than Brandom but it is the best alternative for Terri. It gives her the depth she needs and stock lines just won't have this option. At a low price so that she isn't swallowed up in making the transition to upgrades by cost and it's featured on DIY networks respectively. I have other cabinets on my website at http://tgmcabinets.weebly.com if anyone wants to see that.
January 26, 2013 at 2:20pm   
PRO
Linda
IKEA cabinets are not cheap. They are reasonable quality, if assembled well, kept dry and not moved.

We're redoing a foreclosure property with an existing IKEA kitchen. We're trying to rework the kitchen layout to avoid having cabinets in front of windows. We're also changing from a 36 inch apron front sink to a 60 inch stainless steel sink. So, we had a 36 inch sink base with open space above the doors. Ikea uses two 18 inch drawer fronts at the top of their sink cabinets for hiding the sink. Their price was $70 for the two drawer fronts and $8 for the hardware to hold them in place. Yikes!. I found a couple of drawer fronts in the as is section for $1 each and I'll just put a darker finish on them to come closer to matching the doors. If that doesn't look right, I'll figure out something else but it will be less than $78.
January 26, 2013 at 8:01pm     
lepstein
Two problems with floor to ceiling storage: I am an out-of-sight-out-of-mind person (as is our poster who forgets the canned goods placed below). If I put stuff up high, it could stay there for months, even years, only remembered when I am cleaning upper cupboards...which brings me to problem #2: I am short, and reaching items up top becomes a major operation (no way to store a nearby tall ladder, so it is a footstool to the counter and a dangerous reach). Tall cabinets are not always practical except for little used items.
January 27, 2013 at 9:37am   
xmascarol11
I was overwhelmed by the number of posts concerning your tiny kitchen! I think the very first thing you need to do is to decide what activities you want to do in your kitchen! Because I think you are a baker and actually cook, I am wondering if the desk and craft activities can be moved to another room of the house. (Do you have a spare bedroom because your children are grown? Perhaps that can be an office/guest room now?)

I am also overwhelmed by the number of items you keep in your kitchen! Try to get rid of about half of that stuff. Most small appliances are worthless. I agree with the person who uses a hand can opener. If you need electric, screw it to the bottom of a cabinet.

Don't overspend on your kitchen when you are at a time of life that you need your money for retirement. That said, spend your money wisely. You might be able to recoup most of the money spent on a remodel when/if you sell your house, but for now houses aren't selling.

Don't let people who have something to sell to you put any pressure on you about what you should or should not have!

Remember that you cannot organize clutter. But yourself a really good book on organization... or better yet, borrow one from the library.

Spend your money on items you really USE and WANT and not on something someone else thinks you should own.

I care.
January 27, 2013 at 10:04am     
xmascarol11
Visit flylady.net
January 27, 2013 at 10:06am     
Marilyn Wilkie
xmascarol11, good post. I too am amazed at this thread's popularity. I agree with just about everything you said except flylady.net. I went to that site and it was silly and frustrating. You had to keep going back to the beginning and then it would be the same thing and on and on. I felt like she was playing with me and I didn't like it.
January 27, 2013 at 10:14am     
Susan Flowers
Hope this isn't a repeat...couldn't read all the comments...it appears you have an entire wall of storage....I would NOT add cabinetry to that wall...cabinetry is expensive, inflexible. What I did was to add 96" high bifold doors across one wall and put in wire shelving...holds a ton of stuff, even my toaster which we use in the closet..I have plastic bins to hold items by category/small stuff...the other thing I did was to build in banquet seating...my large summer/holiday stuff is under the seats.....at least in my house...I like to minimize kitchen cabinetry...it is sooooo expensive and takes such a beating...my next home will definitely be walk in pantry with lower kitchen cabinetry only. I keep a stepstool in my closet...food is from knee high to shoulder height....pet food, bucket, stepstool on floor...top shelves spare casseroles, cake pans, summer paper supplies...I keep the baking supplies I use daily in cabinets...duplicates, less seldom used...up above...AND purge unused items
January 27, 2013 at 10:23am   
PRO
EZ~Honey Do Kitchens
Marilyn,

Thanks for the heads up on the flylady thing! :) Would have been tempted to peek. The term you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink keeps popping up in my head.

Who is to say what another person deems valuable or not. Who is to say what one person deems as clutter when another does not. In my experience a man who is the primary cook has very little "clutter" on the counters whereby a woman who does the primary cooking wants everything at had or at least close at hand and likes displaying a lived in kitchen. Just a matter of preference.

Regarding the comment about people trying to sell something to this person may not be entirely true and besides that...one can only lead - hopefully in good faith.
January 27, 2013 at 10:27am   
Susan Flowers
My under $500 solution (not including wall oven)....this wall had stove, 3' counter with cabinets, and tiny 24" mop broom closet...wanted wall oven, storage space...put cooktop on other side of kitchen, oven where closet was...pantry where oven and useless 3' counter/cabinet was..did it myself...kids in college, needed cheap solution
January 27, 2013 at 10:39am     
tcalderon
I redid a spare bedroom several years ago and it now has in it still the bedroom set (excluding the bed), organizers for shoes which I do like and it keeps everything organized, and a workout area with weights and one of those machines that uses weights. So, it's a storage, closet and workout area, but the stationery bike is somewhere else.

I have contacted several resale shops last week, and am working on a side project to get rid of some clothes since I started this posting. I have four boxes in the hallway; fix it, donate, crafts or reuse, and sell. Those two pots are now in one of the boxes.

My lawnmower died while doing the last cutting for the Fall after many years, and I just posted it on Craigslist. My boyfriend is talking to that person so I can get rid of that. Incidentally, there is a place not too far from me that buys metal; copper, aluminum, etc. We thought about selling it to them. He is checking into that since I have some other metal that needs to be sold. I think it's worth a car trip to not only get rid of things but to get some extra money. We took down the outside cable wires that I am not using and have those to get rid of. A neighbor suggested that place. We talked about it and just putting it to the curb came up, but I am not a person to just put it so someone that I don't know or comes from another area that will get it, so I kept it in the garage hoping to sell it for parts. My boyfriend had several ideas and that's the one I chose to do. Hopefully, it will get sold.

I have done donations to Amvets, St. Vincent DePaul, and now we have more in our area that keep sending postcards. I have given away many things to Freecyclers in my area and have gotten from others through that site, but that was several years ago.

Everything you have costs money. Everything you have has multiple uses. It's amazing what you can create with just one item either as a part or make it into something useful or even for crafts. The question is do you want take the time to create this that you have in your mind and use the item for something else, keep it for another day, sell it or donate it. It's hard to let things go that you spent your hard earned money for. I used to donate things that were not too useful to me, but now since I have reviewed what I like to do or want to do, I can easily say I may use this or that going forward, and there are times I'm just not sure if I will use it, so you say I'll keep it and wait. I might use it one day. I had a discussion in a store with a very young man who is a salesman, and he says he's the same way. He can't part with things either. We all seem to have that problem in our lives at times. Everyone is looking to get a bargain even if they have to pay some money for it. I agree that it's time to watch those pennies and dollars with everything.

So, you see this blog is helping me a lot. People have such good ideas and are willing to share them with others. My boyfriend says work on the inside in the winter and tackle the garage when it gets warmer.

The other two bedrooms have beds in them. There is a den downstairs but that needs to be cleaned out also. I think in these times it's better to sell as much as you can. Over the years I have donated a lot of things to several organizations and given away a bunch of things to Freecyclers, but now it's time to get some money for this stuff which I paid hard earned money for. It all depends if anyone wants to buy it. Prices will probably still keep going up and it's a real consideration when you have something you want to get rid of.
January 27, 2013 at 10:56am     
tcalderon
I love this idea of the shelves and the doors for an easy access pantry. You even have the toaster plugged in! It's a wonderful cost saving solution.
January 27, 2013 at 11:02am   
tcalderon
What is banquet seating?
January 27, 2013 at 11:05am   
clarejames
compared to my current kitchen, this is large! my kitchen is 7'9 x 7'7, and is extremely well organised, AND includes a slimline dishwasher and a washing machine with enough worktop space for baking (which I also love!). We have lived with it like this for 14 years - courtesy of a very good kitchen designer - which I would definitely recommend. My sister's kitchen was much bigger but she ended up with less storage. I do think twice before buying stuff - asking "where will it go?" before I spend my money on it... and often have "store cupboard" supper weeks in order to take down the number of items in the cupboards - as you like cooking it gets quite exciting to come up with new things to make out of what is already there. We're currently in the middle of extending the house, and the kitchen will now become a utility room, but we have managed quite nicely. If you are about to remodel your kitchen then you will need to take everything out anyway, so you may as well start with that... good luck, sounds like you're on a great journey!
January 27, 2013 at 11:08am   
feeny
Banquette seating is like a booth in a restaurant--either built in or like this:

January 27, 2013 at 11:10am     
Susan Flowers
My mom recently died...my parents were supremely organized but kept a lot...it's a shame they held on to a lot of the stuff that someone could have used, but was now useless..tons of kids books...lets face it 1960's books are mostly waaaay out of date..shocked how politically incorrect my old bobsey twins, etc are today.....crock pots with liners that can't be removed...can get a nicer one for $20. Caulk and glues...even well sealed, deteriorate....yard tools...some would be handy, but I don't have space for stuff I " might use sometime"..... I did a major purge at my home to give stuff away while it was still useable....made a few mistakes, and wish I had a couple of the things back...but oh well. Also decided to start using some quilts that my great grandmother made....I have 2 sons...they have no memories of the objects or people..and likely the quilts, not in great shape, would be disposed of on my death, so when I redo the family room they will be throws...used and loved, then disposed of.
January 27, 2013 at 11:12am   
tcalderon
I do have a desk in the spare bedroom which I do use almost every day. Crafts or projects are usually done in the kitchen dinette, basement, patio, or garage, weather permitting.
January 27, 2013 at 11:14am   
onthefence
To add to what Feeny posted about the banquette seating, many times the built ins have hinged lids under the seat cushions or doors that allow the bench part to be used for storage.

January 27, 2013 at 11:16am   
tcalderon
So, my yellow dinette set is banquet seating. OK!

My mother passed in 2008, and I have some things of hers also. More of those considerations will be done at a later time. I have to focus on a few things. I like the way you think on how to use now and later with older items.
January 27, 2013 at 11:19am   
Susan Flowers
L shaped banquet done many years ago and due for redo....lid lifts for storage...will hinge lid on redo....very easy
January 27, 2013 at 11:22am     
tcalderon
As you can hopefully tell in the photos my dinette set is that L shaped banquet with no storage. It also has a metal piece to keep the two benches together which I don't use so it is easier to move around. That is a consideration when cleaning. My set is from 1979. How can it be outdated when so many people have it and use it?
January 27, 2013 at 12:18pm   
tcalderon
Here is the traffic pattern chart.
January 27, 2013 at 12:30pm     
PRO
EZ~Honey Do Kitchens
Thanks! I have some ideas if you are interested.
January 27, 2013 at 12:37pm   
tcalderon
Yes, I am interested in all ideas.
January 27, 2013 at 2:36pm   
sjkingston
I know all the advice about decluttering can be overwhelming. Try thinking "if this was my vacation house" what are the bare necessities I would put it in to have a fully functioning kitchen without all the extras I keep around because I might use them "someday." When I furnished our vacation kitchen, I stuck to the necessities and was amazed it needed about 1/4 the things I'd accumulated in our main home. For example, I have four good knives (chef, paring, tomato and bread) versus twelve at home. And five key pots/pans versus fifteen. It was liberating to have just what I needed in the quality I wanted but no more. I look at all the accumulated stuff that gets used once a year and wonder how liberating it would be to let half of it go.
January 27, 2013 at 3:32pm     
tcalderon
Today, I looked at a few things; plastic cups, mugs. Several are in the recycle bag, and some in the donation box. I got rid of the plastic items that just were not that appealing, I didn't use or want to use, had some bad memories with like spilling coffee all over me in the car, etc. Even if I do one or two things a day I should be getting something done. I think that is the best thing to do. I need time to think about these items. I'm feeling good about having these items where I put them.
January 27, 2013 at 4:19pm     
PRO
EZ~Honey Do Kitchens
I bet you can tell I have time on my hands...LOL Anyway, here is the basic idea done with some guesstimate sizes. Let me know your thoughts.
January 27, 2013 at 4:37pm     
mdacmac
I would get rid of the penninsula and carry the cabinets all the way across into dining area.
January 27, 2013 at 4:44pm   
nononanna
You're crazy if you spend a dime on new anything until you get rid of all the junk you have sitting around. It must be driving you nuts! What differnce does it make what the counters look like - you sure can't see them! All those beautiful pictures from Dura cabinets only make sense if you keep them neat like they are in the pictures - if you over fill them,they look just like the old ones you already have.

Clean out the stuff! Given the way it's stored, I'm sure you don't use much of it anyway. If you clean it up, you might find that you like it the way it is.
January 27, 2013 at 5:02pm     
feeny
What a model of tact!
January 27, 2013 at 5:10pm     
nononanna
Oh phooey. She asked. And you have to admit that it's an extreme case...
January 27, 2013 at 5:15pm     
Jayme H.
She asked for advice ... not a piece of her ...blank....chewed off.
January 27, 2013 at 5:27pm     
n247080
You seem like a person who enjoys cooking and tries to do a lot of it. My kitchen is equally lacking in storage space.and I'm not willing to give up my food preparation stuff and wide range of ingredients. Something i found helpful was to take the coat closet in the hall outside the kitchen and convert it into a pantry. I added hooks in the hall for coats and keep off season outerwear in the bedroom closet. I also have multiple sets of dishes. I keep the ones i use most in the kitchen and the others in a closed armoir in another room to be used for those special moments. I have a girlfriend who is in the same boat but in addition to 2 kids and a small kitchen, she collects antique china and glassware. She ultimately created a pantry and storage area in the basement. Although a bit of treck, it works for her and the kitchen counters are left clear for food preparation.

I know it's overwhelming, but you need to take a few days, take everything out and decide what exactly you absolutely want at the ready from day to day, determine what can be stored elsewhere for infrequent use and donate anything you haven't had reason to use in the past 2 years with no immediate use for it in the next 6 months. We don't all have huge budgets. Once you know what you really want handy day to day, you'll have a better idea what kind of storage to add.

just my humble opinion.
January 27, 2013 at 5:34pm     
tcalderon
Wow! That's a good design. I might change a few things, but over all you have considered a number of functionalities. I had several thoughts earlier in the evening before I even viewed your design, but not sure how that would change what you have so far.
January 27, 2013 at 7:56pm   
tcalderon
I'm thinking that -
It might be better to have a free standing slide in double oven range since it's probably cheaper.
A microwave may be better in another area either up or on the counter for ease of cleaning of a vent
rather than the bottom of the microwave.
It might be nice to have that warming drawer also.
I might need more counter space near the range and oven area.
I was also thinking that that it might be better to have it more open above the burners with a vent and no cabinet above the vent.
The same may be above the sink also. Leave it more open for some nice lighting, art work, or something else on the wall.
I was thinking of this earlier today; to have a little more openness to the area.
I am not to the point of knowing how much space I really need since I just started looking at what to get rid of just recently.
I was thinking of a large sink with one bowl since the current sink is hard to work with.

I also thought about having more lower cabinets and putting some floating cabinets to give it more openness, and still retain those shelves I put up years ago. I didn't know how that would look like.
Maybe even put up more shelves. I don't know how that would work. I was considering what one woman preferred and that was lower cabinets and a walk in pantry. I was thinking of more openness and artsy with clean lines.

After seeing what you created in design with moving the refrig and moving the oven, creating a small appliance or coffee area which could accomodate a nearby microwave also, I think there are many good possibilities with this kitchen.

The patio door opens right on that left side so the chair area is a consideration near that patio door.
Would you be suggesting a table and more chairs in that open area or not?

I am thinking I would probably prefer a more squared off section rather than the rounded bookcase shelves. I'm wondering what type of drawer or space would be in the that lower cabinet on the right of the sink.

I didin't really know that what could be possible unless you see a rendering of someone's creative ideas. Thank you for posting these designs.

I do like hanging pots and pans though people are trying to change that and shove them in a cabinet. That is just what I am used to, I guess.

Well, this kitchen takes a lot of thought and I appreciate what you have done. It's a good design.
January 27, 2013 at 8:28pm   
tcalderon
I'm also assuming you have taken the soffits out of the kitchen. Am I right or wrong?
January 27, 2013 at 8:36pm   
tcalderon
I would like to see a portion of the design that I can't see with the chair in the way; the area with the stove and refrig, drawers or door on the right side of the stove, etc. Thank you.
January 27, 2013 at 8:45pm   
onthefence
tcalderon, in terms of ovens - there are a couple that I know of that are double oven ranges. The 2nd oven could serve as a warming drawer unless you were preparing a really big meal. I totally agree with moving the microwave somewhere. Since you're a serious baker, on the countertop probably isn't your best location since you'll need every available prep space you have (at least I do when I bake!)

As a side note, congratulations on all the things you've been sorting and getting rid of. I know from personal experience that isn't an easy process. You're moving along at a steady pace and obviously putting a lot of thought into what you're doing. Can't wait to see you get your dream kitchen!
January 27, 2013 at 9:44pm   
tcalderon
It's interesting what motivates. I read a numerology report saying this was my year to deal with all my demons, right the wrongs, stop procrastinating, and all those sorts of things. So, I am embracing it all and working on it every day. I think it's time to really let go of many of the old things, old ways, and take a fresh look at life.

There is another consideration in this design and that is a design that is for all age groups; young as in children, adults, and then the senior/older group, which many designs ignore. I think when you design a space it should be for anyone who may live in the home. It's also better economics to have a home your entire life where you don't have to keep moving. Saves on money. Many people I know have had their parents live with them as I have, and I may end up staying here since moving or staying has not been determined.

I am used to doing prep work near the stove, and it's good to have more countertop space.

My kitchen as it is presently doesn't really work for me so this is all a good process, and people have such good ideas.
January 27, 2013 at 10:46pm     
PRO
EZ~Honey Do Kitchens
So glad you liked the design! It's a start and you bring up some very solid questions. Since budget will answer a few of these questions, your next step would be to do some shopping for appliances and sinks to get an idea of how much of the budget that will take up. It is true that a free standing range is less expensive but you had mentioned you had back problems which may continue with age but you would know better than me.

One of the things I noticed about your floor plan is the kitchen is undersized for the size of the home. This makes having a separate full size breakfast area, like you have now, even more of a squeeze. Keep in mind I didn't have the actual dimensions to work with so this is not accurate. Treating this space to function more for kitchen than dining is a choice you will have to make but it really is an either or scenario because of the space constraints.

This is where making a 'must have' list will help you set up priorities based on your current life style and the near future. As an older adult myself, I can tell you from experience, a home with stairs is out of the question so I wouldn't worry too much about making your kitchen handicap friendly unless this is something you may need to consider for yourself.

My final suggestion...if possible, send me the actual measurements of the room and finalize your appliance choices so I can narrow down the design possibilities. Attached is a how to measure tool I found online that may be helpful.
January 28, 2013 at 5:09am     
Molly
Tcalderon, I'm hoping you're getting a GIANT pat on the back for this!! It's not easy to sort through overwhelming piles of things. Especially when its on such a personal level. I just hope that while you're sorting over everything you don't feel guilty, you feel strong!
January 28, 2013 at 5:32am     
tcalderon
I didn't see the attachment that you mentioned.
January 28, 2013 at 5:44am   
PRO
EZ~Honey Do Kitchens
It may not go through but will try again.
January 28, 2013 at 5:45am     
PRO
EZ~Honey Do Kitchens
Another try.
January 28, 2013 at 5:52am     
Susan Flowers
Think about fuels also...don't know what you have, but bakers usually prefer an electric oven, and cooks a gas range. Today you can get a dual fuel stove, but that's why I went with electric double wall oven and gas cooktop....I would never be without a double oven again...or you could do the oven/micro/convection combo, thereby not needing separate space for micro....my only concern with that would be a micro has statistically shortest lifespan at 8 yrs and usually can't be repaired.....so if it is part of a wall oven combo, where the oven should last many years, what happens when micro dies?
January 28, 2013 at 8:23am     
tcalderon
I actually like even an electric cooktop also, but then would need a 220 line. I am reminded by
people that gas is less costly. I saw a combo range; gas/electric/convection and you know that is pricey so not doable. It only had one gas burner also.

I hear you about the microwave. I am thinking about that also. I am wondering what size of microwave is the best. You can tell I haven't really looked at appliances much. Does this design allowing for a 30 or 36 inch cooktop area or the double oven? I am wondering what you are thinking in your design so far. I know it can be changed. I have to say I have an old microwave and it's still working. You can see it in one of the photos. It's big and is probably around 20 years old, which is a guess at this point.
It certainly hasn't been over used for the past 11 years, and only had been repaired once where the entire panel needed to be replaced. I guess they don't make small appliances like they did before. I'm guessing they are made off shore now.

Actually, I am thinking that this would not be my dream kitchen since I would like an even bigger kitchen and more open to other rooms. So, this floor plan would not be in my dream home. There is a consideration of really moving into more of a ranch style with a lower level. I have considered many times over the years to move, and would have loved to move before now, but for various reasons it didn't happen.

I mentioned to someone that I had placed some plastic cups in the donate box, and she gave me an idea to use them as planters for an herb garden, so have to move those to the create box..... maybe. I'm sure I'll hear about that soon from someone.

I guess you would use the countertop as a desk area and not put in a desk of sorts like a pull out space for reading or whatever. That would be redudant in the design, I imagine.

I need to see another view of the cabinets that have the refrig, cooktop, etc. if you would be so kind.

I like the "Measure Your Space" attachment. That is helpful also.
January 28, 2013 at 5:23pm   
PRO
EZ~Honey Do Kitchens
I was thinking a free standing slant top desk in the corner and make the area with across from the patio door a coffee/juice bar along with extra storage for the items you don't use everyday. I hope this is the image you are looking for and of course everything is up for modification. You may want to have some varied heights but leave most of it open for collectibles. What is nice with this plan is you can have double ovens and a microwave. They aren't that big a deal to maintain and are quite affordable. The cabinets on each side of the cook-top can be for small appliances you use often. Just some thoughts.
January 28, 2013 at 5:38pm     
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Ez Honey, Other than the window is on the far left where you placed a pantry cabinet and the depth is going to block the window. You also moved the frig to the other side. I again suggest no double oven so that you can have more pantry and place the base ovens so that there is more or the same countertop. More pantry is needed to hide everything she has. The more open the space the more we bring the kitchen to 2013. She desperately needs one large and one small pantry with as much items as she has and that means the double oven is just too much. Maybe with your design you change the double oven to a pantry add 2 base ovens. take the far left pantry in front of the window and make it a transitional cabinet and a 12" depth right next to the window.

Terri, saw was this cooktop under Appliance Trends at http://tgmcabinets.weebly.com there are others that is one design. So, if you find an appliance store you can see the difference and what else is available. Look for a high end store that has all of the different varieties. You can always look around for price difference after you determine what you need.
January 29, 2013 at 8:25am   
PRO
EZ~Honey Do Kitchens
TGM I admire your zealousness and I am sure no two designers will design in the same fashion. However, one thing I have learned is it isn't what we think is better for the buyer but what the buyer thinks is better for the buyer. Our job is to suggest and guide, combining our expertise with there budget and lifestyle within the confines of what we are working with. Honestly, until a measurement is done all of this is speculation but I would be interested in what you may come up with too.
January 29, 2013 at 8:42am   
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
EZ-Honey, Yes. It is important to listen and take into consideration their needs which is what I have done in the scope of what is essential to her needs. I do tend to break from the mold more than another designer and lead the client out the 1980s which is important since we are in 2013 and she'd sell in the 2000 teens or 20's. I suppose that I see more that way then where we have been.

If we don't push the envelope and show them new things...they won't know if it is possible or what they will like or if it's a consideration to what they thought they wanted and change their mind. For instance, if Terri had not of seen the combined cooktop- she wouldn't have known she wanted it. It was me who showed this...If she hadn't had the same suggestion of base ovens at the same time - she wouldn't have known it was or wasn't what she wanted. The technology in appliances is so far advanced to what the client knows it out there...I suggested both to her because it made more sense to design against a low budget this way with her need of extra storage then not...add extra pantry and a double oven - you are taking a lot of countertop. However, it is in my assessment that Terri is not just choosing what works for her based on the new ideas brought out but is more inclined to listen to the masses than most. So, we're in agreement. I introduced and have shared my designs. However, I am not placing my design up here. She has seen it. I did post my ideas and explained here above in other posts.

I just wanted to remind you that she has measured the depth to the window and although she isn't a professional I would assume that was truth and your design is currently blocking that window. I was wondering how you would change the design after knowing this.
January 29, 2013 at 9:31am   
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Also, in consideration of keeping the budget low and in my knowledge based on the cabinet lines I carry- direct from the manufacturers and even the green lines, it does cost more to get a double wall oven cabinet then two base oven cabinets. Depending on which base ovens she chooses (a 36" is ultra expensive to buy) she would be saving on cost of that appliance then the double wall. And based on her need to get extra storage and needs two pantry, one 30" at least and one 15" the double oven is an excess of taking up more countertop. It's a thought I threw out not just in that the design is old school for the double oven and less 2013 but also the logic behind switching to this thinking does save money not just in cabinets but in the appliance...if chosen right.
January 29, 2013 at 9:37am   
bygeorgi
You know what would really be great, a designer that shops around for their client to get the best deals to actually stay in their budget and plans around that . So glad I can plan my own kitchen and not hire "pros".
January 29, 2013 at 10:53am   
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Bygeorgi,

That would be me....Ask my friends, as my references.
January 29, 2013 at 11:50am     
bygeorgi
I know know you guys " pros" mean well and I'm glad to hear you do that for your clients. I just see so much advice from pros where the budget is soo inflated... and very unrealistic especially when it comes to kitchen remodels in older homes. No one ever mentions how you can open a huge can a worms sometimes just doing a simple update. I would advise any kitchen designer to help a contractor for a couple weeks , yes... doing the manual labor... it's good experience and a reality check...not to mention fun.
January 29, 2013 at 12:10pm   
PRO
EZ~Honey Do Kitchens
Not sure about being fun!!!! Educational...yes!
January 29, 2013 at 12:16pm     
bygeorgi
Ok, I'm strange maybe....there's nothing more gratifying than taking a sledge hammer to some avocado counter tops...lol
January 29, 2013 at 12:24pm     
tcalderon
Well, I am big on recycling, reuse, selling to people that are going to really use the item, so hopefully no one will be smashing my avocado counter top. I might sell the whole thing to someone who needs this type of kitchen. Who knows right now?

If anyone wants to submit a design or need more information to give me or get from me, my email address is territalktome@yahoo.com. Everyone has good ideas, and they are done for different reasons within a time span. When it comes to appliances I'm not clear yet what I want or rather the best thing to buy within a budget restriction. I like both designs, and need to know some estimated costs which you can email me.

In the creative process there are many steps, and it's best to have an open mind. Cost is a big factor in this project along with the quality of the product. How to create a space or two to get the best results for me or anyone who lives in this house is the goal. I like the fact of doing something a bit different if the buget allows it. I'm thinking a lot of things; one day it's this and the next day it's that. So, I accept any ideas and designs. I respect anyone's ideas because everyone has a different prespective. We are all different in how we look at something. That's one thing that makes us unique.
January 29, 2013 at 2:06pm   
tcalderon
Thanks for posting the other view for me to look at.
January 29, 2013 at 2:10pm   
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
bygeorgi,

I'm game on taking the sledgehammer. Also, there is a fine balance between managing a budget that is not just realistic in what the client wants and what is important and everyone is loosing what is truly important. And it is also a fine balance in understanding that the budget is to keep your portfolio and property at the value or increase the value of the home. The kitchen is the key place to remodel aggressively on a budget where the budget makes common sense in managing and locating what can be scaled down in cost. Sales price on versus MSRP is huge on managing a budget. Locating items that can be 'not obvious" to your bank or realtors is the key to remodeling the kitchen...No one knows you go the neighbor to do that little part of the project. No one knows there was a clearance sale. MSRP on cabinet/countertop and find a sale or a person who sales below it...keeps the 10-20% of the homes value on the budget but not on the pocket book.

The reason the "pros" want the budget isn't just because they want to make money. We do or we wouldn't be in business but our focus for budget it about our pocket it is how is supposed to be done. Everyone watched, What was your house worth on HGTV and you'd see that how your remodel increase / decreases your investment. That's your money. We also understand that you need to know where to locate what can be a savings but not for reason of decreasing the value of your home or spending unwisely on what should be an investment. It's a great place to store money and a safe place to spend it...nothing else you shop for is going to be there later to get back. Reports show in our current market across the USA that kitchen remodeled that are 15 yrs or older is a 90-125% return on investment when following the budget. The budget set there to increase the value of your home and not have you overspend...It is not set there to get people to spend. It's a guideline to increase the value of property.

Anyone wanting to redo a kitchen 5 years or less - just remodeled just diy. It is not going to get a return on investment. That is a great place to play with diy without messing up the space, too. Older kitchens need to be done with some pro techniques at hand. Now, if you install...or a neighbor, family or friend assist by painting or tiling...all the better. But that counts for labor in the budget but a savings on the pocket. Finding a lamp/chandelior and redoing it. Not a big thing for a new owner later to want to replace and it is minimal on how it would affect the home's value. That's where you save money. But it isn't about negating the budget that is set by those who will place a value on your home.
I find it it a tad frustrating that we all are whining about the economy and the best place we can assist is in our our own portfolio's and property and to increase the value of property is to invest in your kitchen and bathrooms when we remodel. Where we buy notebooks, computers, ipads, iphones, entertainment, go out to eat, clothes and we threw money down the drain. It's not essential to save money on the kitchen remodel to spend money where it can be thrown down the drain and that decreases the value of your home and essentially you....

Putting money in the kitchen and bathrooms reasonably - that is the key...reasonably and the right way...is assisting your ability to take out a larger loan, refinance your home, boosts your local economy, etc. Everyone understanding this - that boosting the local economy gets more jobs, pay raises and the trickling dominoe affect could be large. Remodeling isn't just about how to save money...it's about adding value to your investment. It has to be managed right. It does affect the economy. It's property value. Yet, we are worried about getting a ipad when we should be boosting the economy so everyone can get an ipad.

Thus, stating that 5-10% budget of your cabinets in a kitchen remodel of your home's value is NOT about the designers looking for a way to boost their pocket. Designers are not car sales people. They are trained to manage your portfolio and help you increase your investment in you and your home. They don't make the rules they just understand that there is an important reason why they do what they do. Most designers are not trained to "sell." They are trained to do right by you for very serious reasons. Some how it's been lost that that designers are your homes' shrink looking to make it better...not get you to "spend money."
January 29, 2013 at 3:05pm   
tcalderon
I see what you are saying about whether it should be about the kitchen or a gathering place.

The two chairs in the design may not fit because of the wall cabinet. It may only hold one chair in that space.

My current refrig opens from left to right so placing the refrig on the other side doesn't hurt based on how the refrig opens.

There is an outlet behind the refrig obviously.

Currently, the space I have on the right side of the cooktop is too small for me to utilize. I usually put a lid holder there to hold pot lids while I am stirring while cooking. How much space should be on either side of a cooktop so you can utilize that space well? As I mentioned before is that I like to do my prep work near the cooktop area.

The last design posted here looks like you have the left most cabinet less than 24" which would possibly fit in that area. I know that the measurements and scale is off but it's the ideas that are important.

I would probably make the appliance and coffee area larger to hold all the appliances needed for that area and have a larger counter space. Maybe this could be a prep area also?
January 29, 2013 at 9:42pm     
Susan Flowers
I am new to houzz, and I wish in these discussions people would post a tentative budget range and if they are "do it yourself er's"....as in this convo, suggestions range from $1000 to $60000...and this is common in threads...would also like idea of overall house...for example we live in rural area...4 bed/3 bath house worth 180,000....we need to update kitchen and deck to sell....but won't get any money from the redo....(just if we don't the house will sit on the market forever)....so we will do kitchen ourselves with a $5000 budget (we have new appliances already).
January 30, 2013 at 8:15am   
PRO
EZ~Honey Do Kitchens
Good Point Susan. Prices for cabinets range from about $125.00 to $175.00 a linear foot depending upon style and how tall the upper cabinets will be. Counter tops can be really cheap or rather expensive depending upon the material used. You can get post form tops from Home Depot for next to nothing but you may want solid surface for that price range home. A good rule of thumb is to keep your overall cost for materials at about 5% to 8% of the home value to recoup your money. Hopefully these estimates will give you an idea of what project might cost.
January 30, 2013 at 8:36am   
tcalderon
Very good idea if it helps.
According to zillow.com the home is valued at ~$287,500, 3 bed/2.5 bath possible 4th bedroom, need to update kitchen, hallway, all bathrooms, family room, 2 sets of bedroom windows, 2 sets of family room windows, maybe the kitchen window and patio door, and the den including the window. A little bit of work is needed on the roof/chimney. There will be some plumber expenses to deal with also. We need to update the kitchen and bathrooms minimum to sell, which is Frank's first thought. We have talked about a possible range of $0 - $15000 to do the kitchen and hallway which includes new red oak flooring in the foyer, hall closet, and kitchen including dinette space. The lower the price the better and still have a quality product and look. There are a number of projects to deal with so keeping costs reasonable is expected. Looking for a package deal on new appliances; refrig is rather new and dishwasher is brand new. It's best we can do the updating being quite cost conscious because one person is retired and another has only temp jobs at present. We can do some of the work ourselves; paint, take down cabinets, possibly some electric changes or adding lights, and more depending on what it is. Currently, looking into friends and relatives to help in some way either for a discount doing some of the labor work or some other help. The house is in a suburban area in a western suburb outside of Chicago and there are many, many homes in the Chicagoland area. This home is up to code.
January 30, 2013 at 8:53am   
tcalderon
In this kitchen there has always been a lack of storage, countertop space on both sides, kitchen sink was always too small and because of that do not like the double sink at all, always needed a higher faucet for big pots, patio door is too drafty but love the light from the door and windows in the dinette area.

The two neighbors that redid their kitchens put in free standing ranges; one has a double oven and the other does not. The one that does not has a microwave above the burners, and the other neighbor has a counter microwave. I like the double oven free standing range because of the cost factor, but if I had a bigger budget I would go for the built in double ovens where I don't have to bend at all. I don't know of the particulars of built ins versus a free standing range in the burner area and which is cheaper. I'm guessing the one stand alone unit is less expensive. Recently looking, I have also come across refurbished appliances that cost less. As I said before this subdivision and there were many done by this builder all have the same problem; storage space in the entire house and countertop space.

Also, one figure that was thrown around was say $2000 for new appliances. I have seen an outlet strip under the cabinet in a photo on houzz and liked that idea since sometimes not enough outlets in one area.

If I ever move I will insist on a bigger kitchen more open to the other rooms.
January 30, 2013 at 9:50am   
angela428
I could not believe the amount of comments Wow, so here is another one,

Get one of those storage truck bags/boxes they send to your house and put everything in it that you have in the kitchen.
Clean it out and organize in the storage truck,soup, dry foods, laundry stuff, etc.
Any appliance or item not touched or used in a year throw out, or giant tag sale.
Once you have,everything out take another photo,and send in. I think there is more space here than we can see. In Spain, this is an entire apartment.

I was thinking a built in bench with storage underneath and a table in front. The pedestal of the table can open for storage similar to boats where every inch is used, other side of table could be another bench on the side wall and open in the front. - 115.00. Bench 325.00 An L shape bench built in with table. You can pick up cushions at world market for 10.00 and now you have seating,

Kitchen Not all kitchens have to be the same.If you could build in shelving floor to ceiling, home depot sells 8 panel 28" wide doors with glass for 200. Two next to one another and painted white will give you lots of storage. And where what looks like a view to the table you could do the same there, just stop at 42" and build your shelving. Above this a simple 1/2 of what you have display of pots and pans would work. Keep it simple. As you turn right there should be one cabinet and this could be from a auction location with a pair of end tables maybe in a Chinese design. Or a serpentine chest and you can put the sink in it, the concept here is ti be a little different and it will be stunning.

A stove. 500.00 in black . Great as is a black fridge. I just redid my kitchen and used all
black appliances, I am tired of fingerprints on stainless doors.

Floors you mentioned red oak, this is one of the hardest woods and most expensive. If you search you will find ceramic or porcelain that looks like wood and costs. 1/2 the price.
Try builders direct.
Bathrooms are 10,000 for a low end. You can do it for less if you are smart about it.
Pick 4 colors for the house. base cream/ivory, color that goes with this and gives transition
Chocolate/ another /color to work with both white has its place and your final color black.
Let-s go back to the kitchen .
The floors are cream maybe travertine with a border of white or chocolate. Check out happy -floors .com. or daltile.com, they have some fun boarders with circles with all these colors.
Bench white, seat black and chocolate stripe? Or white and chocolate
Your homemade storage cabinets inside painted chocolates outside door white, lighting and the color will pop your dishes out to see.
Countertops, we just purchased for a small kitchnetter a look like granite surface with black, brown and bright white cabinets.

I think a'black Asian piece would make a great place to hold a sink and a small 4,drawer cabinet 15" wide, black and here I might cut in a butcher block top. Always scrub it down and once a week light sandpaper it and clean it well so NO Bacteria grows. If too much work to commit to stay with laminate.
Back splash Travertine and here and there a vertical rowof dots, cut the travertine to
6" x 18" and do a vertical pattern .
This. Is a start feedback would be good for all these wonderful people who have taken time to write in, Wow what an amazing group.

I still think you need to empty the space amd sit back and view the space, write down how many linear feet for soup or pots and pans or whatever you keep. How many drawers for silverware.
There are all sorta of pricing check out cabimaxinfo.com and greendemoliti.com and Bull St Auctions.com,

I recently read a report that was so interesting, because my generation was brought up to believe that our home was an investment and we found out just how wrong that was people younger are changing their minds on their purchases and renovations.
They stated that in a study in the Northeast people are re doing their existing home, not selling and NOT doing it for resale with granite and rutt, subzero etc, but doing it for themselves and thinking much more green.

The resale may or may not happen, but what is happening will please them 100%.
I found this very interesting. And have been thinking in different materials, mixing different materials etc, I think it was the NY Times or one of those types of papers, but it definitely had an effect.
Enjoy whatever you decide to do, but try. To lessen the load. And see the view.
January 30, 2013 at 10:02am   
angela428
I just re read this thread and it sound to me like everyone is pushing to sell their cabinets or someone's cabinets.

I am going to make a suggestion that will cost you 100.00 go to Home Depot or Lowes a friend just did an amazing full of storage your size kitchen for 11,000 in cabinets Elkay look them up on line, they make many cabinets. Then go to Lowes ans pay 100.00 and they will both give you designs pricing financing etc.
But, you will have a measure you will be surprised how talented they are and polite.
There is still floors, 3,000 , backslash 800 +, electrical upgrades - scary old house I do not know your wiring. Plumbing, hot water heaters, etc. Etc.Yes, the rage is heat the floor for a few thousand, if money is worrusome, by socks and slippers.
Lumber Liquidators I just put St. John Chimney Laminate in my sons room, after 30 years in the business still
Am blown away.

Once you clean out and collect your drawings and you hire a contractor do yourself a giant favor before you start. Get a good inspection and appraisal. Why, no one wants a surprise when you open a wall, nor do you want to start and find out you have asbestos or no insulation or something else,

I started one project to add on a mud room and found carpenter ants ugh

Approach this as you would if you were buying the home. See how much you can spend and what you will get back should you sell, what is the mortgage, rates are low time to refinance and redo the entire back area and build yourself the dream baking kitchen or do you bake enough to sell to small coffee cafes? Dream your dreams and maybe make them happen if there are some we do not know about.

Or just re do the kitchen and spend what you can.
Check out some of the places I gave you, but do not be swayed to spend more than you should or want to.
Take care dear baker.
January 30, 2013 at 10:42am     
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Flowers and Angela
Flowers, you can see the recommended budgets that the Realtor association, those who determine your home's value, National Kitchen and Bath association and others recommend to follow in doing your kitchen properly - just like you have codes or need permit LSee http://tgmcabinets.weebly.com under the What uneed 2 know and then under budgeting tabs... Like we follow the FDA on what is supposed to be the right nutrients. Most designers are certified trained to get your home healthy and understand that and that is why the budget was put there on your kitchen. The other things (minus the bathroom) that you would need to fix in your home are on a as need basis or a splurge that you want in your home. Things need kept up but the budget on them is as important as nothing. It's just it cost money to do it. And you can find a deal or not.

Angela Lovely name and thanks for sharing. There is a right way and a wrong way. Your Dr keeps your health after going thru a lot of school. I don't think anyone is pushing cabinets...isn't my point, anyways It's not more pushing anything that a Dr who you go to get your health fixed and he pushes a recommended procedure and drugs. If that is what you consider pushing...then my hearts entirely in the wrong place. My heart is that you do have reasons why the budget has been told and it is important to follow to do right by your home's value, your propetry's value, that affects your communities value and raises or decrease the growing economies.
I do help clients by discounting and finding sales but showing the the MSRP that is needed to keep your budget in line. If the value of the object meets the way the budget is intended to increase your homes' value...then you have a deal and you did it the right way. If you buy it wrong...you devalued your home, your bank account and threw money away because it felt good to do it that way.
January 30, 2013 at 11:05am   
mollythecollie
TGM cabinets, I just looked at your site. I just wanted to tell you that you have lots of very useful information!! It will be a definite help to me, when we remodel our kitchen in a couple of years.
January 30, 2013 at 2:02pm   
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Mollythecollie, Thank you. If you need anything - Let me know. I am the queen of research and finding those bottom dollar prices/sales. I am glad to help up until the point of abusive and then I bill back by the hour. LOL!
January 30, 2013 at 2:20pm   
tcalderon
I thought the site had a lot of information also. Also, I liked your design.

I am wondering if a stand alone range is better then two lower built ins.
January 31, 2013 at 5:19pm     
kathynance
How far are you from the store? Do you really need that large of a supply of can goods? Let the grocery store be your storage. Get rid of everything you do not need that you have doubles of. Store items low that you rarely use, extra big pots, and plastic containers (see comment below) and then put can goods behind closed doors in upper cabinets. Put plates, bowls, glasses that you use often on the open shelves. What ever you are storing in the large tubs put in smaller ones that will slide into the lower cabinets. I could organize this kitchen easily but I would have to scale down and let go of some of the stuff . Then you could get away with buying just one piece of furniture. The cabinet from Ikea as suggested above.
January 31, 2013 at 5:44pm   
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Terri, You can get a stand alone with two separate ovens. I think the best thing to do is find a boutique and/or large appliance place. Look in yellowbook.com for what is close. Then tell me the appliance name, model number and I'll locate one that is on sale and let you know what I find.
January 31, 2013 at 6:28pm   
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Don't go to IKEA
January 31, 2013 at 6:29pm   
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Angela, Comment-I don't c it. "took u2 ?"

IKEAs particle board. Cheaply made. Investigate your local dealers. Keep looking until you find someone who will work with you and if you can't find a local dealer selling USA Made cabinets in all wood at a competitive price...Then find a contractor and tell them to contact me to get the cabinet line to you. My url is my number and it's always ringing. But I'll walk him thru who and what he needs to have and which lines he wants in his arsenal and he'll be the hottest thing in your town because if you dont' have one now there...it will be the only one there. And it will take him no time at all to open that account for you to get a USA made cabinet in all wood (not IKEA import that isn't assembled with a local small business guy and giving back to your community, IKEA's Min wage jobs don't count).
January 31, 2013 at 10:28pm   
angela428
TGM Cabinets I must disagree here.

IKEA has great product, 25 year warranty, brilliant web site and more. And
as a designer Cardinal Rule 1 never ever tell a client where not to go, it is abhorrent to ,and anyone I know would not do that, but you are young and will learn this.

We want all of you to visit as many locations as possible, we are here simply to assist or,mention places.
TC Please excuse this and please do visit IKEA you will enjoy not only the product , but the staff. - each and everyone there is pleasant. AND a bonus on how well trained they are in their discipline. Great store product and people

Thank you
COC
January 31, 2013 at 10:53pm     
tcalderon
I think several people commenting know that I am a real wood person. I love real wood.
January 31, 2013 at 11:08pm     
PRO
EZ~Honey Do Kitchens
Angela,

I am wondering if you have or use Pro Source in your area for your clients. Here in Houston they are going big in the cabinet industry and I wonder if that holds true all over.
February 1, 2013 at 3:46am   
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Angela428 I almost took a job with their #1 and only installers on the East Coast. I went thru a series of interviews and was hired, when some inside secrets came out about IKEA kitchen cabinets I did not take the job. Also, I am heavily and most reliably a very USA MAde product minded person. For myself and my clients, I ask one important question, for anything stamped USA Made, how much of that is USA Made. I've one product that is stamped 99.9% USA Made. And if it is not USA Made - Is it local manufactured and headquartered. So I stand on IKEA being a most emphasized NO, Thank you. Go another route and get all wood from a USA product manufactured USA and money returned USA. Dont' understand this check out http://independentwestand.org and see how much money would be and affects your economy and the USA if we all put more value on the point. And so locally minded...my food is local http://localharvest.org and get your food from a local farmer less than organic that is not processed. It'll map anywhere in the USA. Check out what $100 spent locally on Valentine's day can do to your community http://www.independentwestand.org/valentines-impact/
February 1, 2013 at 5:32am   
PRO
EZ~Honey Do Kitchens
As a cabinet business we often get request for reviews on cabinet lines. We sell both imports and American made. Better is really relevant to what the consumer is trying to accomplish isn't it? I imagine many here have an abundance of imported products in your home that you deem acceptable for there purpose. Not because they are imported but because they meet your needs - Right?

I am all for keeping jobs in the States but I hate to break it to you...that ship sailed a long time ago. We have imported lines that are just as good and some are better than our Made in America brands. However, some do want to support our own products but honestly...knowing what I know...I would rather buy the quality that suits my needs even if it means I am supporting workers in other countries. Is that really such a bad thing? I would really like your input on this subject.
February 1, 2013 at 7:01am   
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Was it ABC that did a show in 2012? and redid everything in the house and took out everything and replaced it with all USA products. The response was HUGE. We also have imports and I have to say that we have them because it is the client requesting it. But we get them from a local small business who lives here and hires local guys and assembles them. Shipped might have sailed doesnt' mean it won't and can't change. Take a stand THere's 600 plus cabinet manufacturers in the USA. Certainly, we can locate competitive all USA that is quality.

And who said "there generation was taught renovations added value and the young are redoing" I take offense. : l - I am still in the young category or at least young enough I don't say "my generation". Oy. And regardless of what "the young" are doing the reports still reflect it and the investors still look at this. Nor is any one training the young that are getting certified that this is different. I believe HGTV's My home is Worth What? still taped and aired 2012 - have not looked this last month. They are great a what is realistic in renovating the right way and the wrong way.
February 1, 2013 at 8:15am   
tcalderon
I loved those site pages. I am big on the local farm stand in the growing season we have open in the summer. I have been interested in the local produce for years. We are also big on buying USA made. Frank always checks the labels to see where everything is made, and will not buy items if not made in the USA most of the time. I even considered going to the Amish to see what they could do, but their items are usually expensive. We have some Amish furniture stores in the area. I'm wondering what the Amish do for cabinets now that I am thinking about it.

Some items I have are from other lands and consider them unique to what I have. I buy things whenever I travel and have many items from the USA. I'm big on economics and how things impact one another. I have been a student of economics for many years. It is one subject I studied, so know of what you are writing about. I'm sure there are many quality items made in the USA that can be of fine use to the people of America. I'm for that! This is also one way the American people will be able to sustain themselves. This is an important factor in buying anything especially these days.

Thinking of a non USA product would be bamboo. I've seen it and it's not that strong as you would imagine. It has some interesting texture, but in the long run I would rather have something from the USA with a great look and pattern. You can always add a small item of bamboo for a decoration. I do think at times the American people need to be a bit more creative and offer more unique looking items to expand their line of goods if possible.

I love the fact that this is a consideration and talked about here to help me with my problem.
February 1, 2013 at 8:45am     
tcalderon
I would love to see that program on ABC.
February 1, 2013 at 8:49am   
Bonnie
I don't want to sound unkind... This is a constructive comment. You have too much stuff. Your kitchen is not that small. You need to go through and get rid of things you don't use. I have read tips on getting rid of things that recommends you go through everything and create piles... 1) the definite give away or trash pile, 2) the I use it everyday and I am going to keep it pile and the 3) I don't really use but am unsure what to do pile. Take pile number 3 --- put everything in a box. Stick it in a garage or basement for six months. During that time period if you had to go back into the box to retrieve something you use then you keep it--- everything else gets donated. Try checking out the book "Shedding Your Stuff" and other books of that type so you can streamline. As long as you have this much stuff, your room will never look right and it won't feel good. Best of luck!
February 1, 2013 at 8:58am   
PRO
Dura Supreme Cabinetry
tcalderon - That is great that you stick to US Made products! I personally do the same thing. I grew up in a household where my mother sold her goods at the farmers market, we grew and canned most the food we ate and sold the extras, and purchased other goods at the farmers market. We’ve always bought American made products and goods whenever possible.

I even make sure that where I work offers American made products and services and have good ethics. I wouldn’t feel good about myself if I worked for a place that shipped most of the work overseas. That’s why I work at Dura Supreme Cabinetry.

Dura Supreme makes sure that our products are American made and built by people, not machines. It is a privately owned, semi-custom and custom cabinetry company based out of Minnesota, USA. We also don’t sell our cabinetry to big name corporations like Home Depot, Lowes, etc. We make sure that our dealers are local design and build shops in your neighborhoods. I’m sure if you look around you’ll find more all American companies with hearts like Dura Supreme. ;)

– Mandi @ Dura
http://www.durasupreme.com/about-us
February 1, 2013 at 11:14am   
Susan Flowers
In my area, you can take a photo of cabinet style you like and drive out to the Amish and they will make them...they prefer to work in solid cherry here in PA....usually about 1/2 the cost
February 1, 2013 at 11:30am   
tcalderon
Around here I think they use oak most of the time in and around IL, and IN.

I mentioned to Frank about the dishwasher being moved to the other side which I would probably prefer but his comment was that would cost money to change the plumbing. I do like the refrig on the other side or where it's at. I used to have a double door refrig and it would never open on the freezer side to my satisfaction because of the wall. It was a pain to roll it out and in all the time. So, I bought this refrig to open from left to right so the doors open all the way. I just have to hang onto what's in my hands to get it to the counter, and that's all right also. If the refrig door can open fully on the other side that would be okay. I need it to open fully to clean out the bins and shelves, and have full access to the entire refrig. I hope that's not too much to ask; function, clean lines.

As you can tell Frank and I are different to what we would prefer. I like more contemporary, transitional, modern with contemporary being near the top. He is more traditional in what he likes. I love color and he is not into that too much. I am more of a maximist and he is more of a minimalist when it comes to having stuff all over. I am a collector of things and he is not. On this project I have the final say so, since it's my place we are redoing.
February 1, 2013 at 1:09pm   
robbonao
The first thing you have to do is buy another house. Then you'll be fine.. Also get a Cleaning lady
February 1, 2013 at 4:17pm     
tcalderon
I wonder if there is a range out there that has a combo stove and a broiler that when you flip a switch it's a convection oven or you flip it the other way and it's a gas oven, and then it also has a warming drawer on the bottom also. I am also interested in a convection microwave over the burners that vents up and out. I need to look at an appliance store, and get more ideas.
February 2, 2013 at 8:07am   
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Susan...sometimes those Amish prices...OY. Gotta haggles sometimes. I am very close to the Mennonites (almost married one) I get special prices for Amish cabinets to sell to my clients. Great connections help.
February 2, 2013 at 11:26am   
PRO
EZ~Honey Do Kitchens
Tcalderon,

A convection oven has a fan in the back so I am guessing having it be gas wouldn't be available but there are double oven ranges and you might find that combo that way.
February 3, 2013 at 9:57am   
feeny
Our gas range has a convection option. You just flip the switch and the convection fan in the oven goes on.
February 3, 2013 at 10:57am     
tcalderon
There is an electrical outlet in the back on the wall where the stove would go, so that's good. Also, there is the regulator for the cooktop now, and you need that, so I like the idea of convection and the gas combination. I really like it.
http://www.homedepot.com/Appliances-Cooking-Ranges-Gas-Ranges-Double-Oven-Gas-Ranges/GE/h_d1/N-5yc1vZc3nlZloZ1z141mn/R-202970652/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051&superSkuId=203023701

It just went off sale, and it's a convection oven with the warming drawer, but I would rather have the
convection oven have that switch. It's probably more money, but maybe there is a deal out there.

Feeny - What is manufacturer and model of the stove you have? Maybe I can look it up online.
February 4, 2013 at 10:18am   
PRO
Cabinets To Go
We love kitchen makeovers! It's important to install high quality cabinets that are going to last but NOBODY wants to spend an arm and a leg on something like kitchen cabinets do they? For anyone considering new cabinets, Cabinets To Go is definitely worth checking out--we do bathroom vanities too :) http://www.cabinetstogo.com/
July 11, 2013 at 1:52pm   
PRO
Rococo & Taupe, Inc.
Here is a great tip... stop over buying at Costco! Start by empty the room completely and only put back in the cabinets the things that you need and actually fit... the rest call the local soup kitchen.. I'm sure they would love all the extra cans of food!
July 11, 2013 at 2:00pm   
Jeannie Nguyen
Hi tcalderon! Have you made any updates/changes yet? Would love to see the progress.
July 12, 2013 at 11:29am     
tcalderon
Hi there! The kitchen was put on hold for awhile, but I did get rid of some things in the kitchen. I even went through the cabinets once. I don't know what to do with all the tupperware I have. I probably should keep a few items, but haven't listed them for sale. Many are in excellent condition. Anything that doesn't look salable gets donated.

Other things have progressed such as starting to get rid of things, cleaning out the garage (still working on that), posting things for sale, hauling chemicals to the household hazardous waste recycle center, sold a car, bought a new used car, bought a new computer, working temp jobs, redoing taxes for the past prior 3 years, pulling out the old clothes from the closet which relates to vintage clothing if you get my drift, and more. I wanted to build a web site to sell the vintage clothing, but probably need help. My family really didn't give away too much over the years. Know anyone?

To help with everything I have to do I got a lawn service that has cut the grass several times so no one has to do it, and I can concentrate on getting things done in the house. It's a lot of work. What colors should I paint the bedrooms. Currently, one is gold, another purple, and the last one is an orangey color that goes real well with teak wood.

We went looking around at some homes in several communities and I got real motivated after that, and attacked that garage head-on. The idea is to sell this house and the other place and get something new. So, I at the last discussion about some of the work was to get it as low as possible since the house will probably be sold, and there are other things that need to be fixed in the house. I got a chimney guy out here and said the chimney was just fine, but there are other things needed to be redone in the house that will cost some money.

I have been keeping my eyes and ears open for anything that relates to redoing the kitchen. I have realized that you can probably sell anything online even old cabinets instead of just giving them away or donating them. I still have in my mind medium to dark wood cabinets to match the trim wood in the house. The countertop is up for grabs since any color will probably do. I still want the oak floor to match the rest of the floor on that level.

Two opinions from people that came to the house was to not build cabinets in the kitchen dinette area. One person was willing to do it and thought it was probably a good idea. I even saw another home in my development area that did just that but only say 12" deep cabinets. If I can find the photo I will try and post it. The house is selling in my area.
July 12, 2013 at 8:02pm     
bygeorgi
wow... going to sell now.. hmmmm...I would tile in the kitchen, not use the wood. A nice light neutral with dark cabinets will look very updated and of course paint those bedrooms all a fresh neutral too...Swiss Coffee by Behr I think it is... is a color that goes with just about everything. No need to add cabinetry in the kitchen table area if you are selling, someone else may just want to have a larger table there. I do suggest you make the kitchen as pretty as possible , stage it, as well as the rest of the house.
July 12, 2013 at 8:17pm     
apple_pie_order
You've accomplished a lot in the last five months. Thank you for the update. I agree with Bygeorgi that Swiss Coffee is a great versatile paint color, excellent as a neutral for selling.

For your vintage clothing sale, it's easy to sell through eBay.

A common price for fairly new goods at yard sales is 10% of the purchase price. $20 Tupperware can be priced at $2.

Any new photos?
July 13, 2013 at 6:12am     
moonblue
Don't take any clutter with you!
July 13, 2013 at 6:34am     
PRO
Rococo & Taupe, Inc.
If your selling I wouldn't put in any new cabinets. Your not likely to know what the next owner will want.

Just clean everything out of the space. Rent a storage space if you need to but empty the house.. I can imagine this isn't the only area of the house with lack of space for your things. Don't let a potential buyer think there isn't any room or storage by your mess.

A fresh coat of paint would be the most I would do thru out the house ( your not a flipper don't get cutesy with trying to renovate to make an extra few bucks because you won't it will only cost you more than the lower selling price of not having a renovated kitchen)

Remove all window treatments thru out except for some basic blinds and all excess furniture and any accessory that personalizes your home. No wall of pictures of your wedding .. Baby photos etc. make it as neutral of a canvas for a potential buyer to envision their things in the house.
July 13, 2013 at 9:02am     
tcalderon
I had already donated my old monitors and TVs to Amvets one Sunday. That took 4 trips to the local drop-off Amvets truck. I still have a real old TV in a heavy wood console. The TV needs to be disassembled for anyone to move the cabinet. It would make a nice table if redone. Then, I got most of the printers together and those are going to go in a separate garage sale. I still have an old xerox machine and a few other items that need to be gotten rid of. I just found another VCR in the basement. I already sold 4 VCRs a combo TV/VCR to a local place that fixes those types of things. They didn't want the older TVs. I just started requesting estimates for selling items online and taking photos of all the items this past week. This takes a long time to do. There are many things one might have that are very re-saleable online even.

I also had already taken photos of all the vintage clothing I want to sell. That took awhile also since the clothes rack broke once when someone touched it, and then the second new one broke while just putting items on it to hang. They don't make the same thing the way they did years ago. So, now have a new rack that seems to be holding pretty good. Time will tell. I have all the photos just need to build a website and get online traffic to that site. This will take awhile.

This seems to be a long process. I took 6 half days to start cleaning out the garage. 3 half days for already organized areas; some of that is just old sports equipment that could be sold and some things kept for me to use. The other 3 half days were in the area that really needed a going through. Most half days were 6 hours or more. I spent hours going through old items such as old auto repair tools, all sorts of nails & screws, electrical things like an old trimmer, that you find in garages, some really unusable camping items like a cracked lantern but still cute, all sorts of car/ household/lawn chemicals even old cement, asphalt mix, and plaster. I sorted everything into metals, donations, garbage, and hazardous waste.

I also went through the laundry cabinets and created two boxes of hazardous chemicals. I had 7 or 8 boxes plus 4 heavy bags of hazardous waste from the garage. Also, gave them 3 containers of old windshield wiper fluid, old oil, old cans of sprays that I never want to use again (spraying will kill you), and made two trips to the recycle center. I made 4 trips to a Second Chance store with donations, and 5 trips to the dumpster. For three weeks I had a load of recycle stuff at the curb; one week with a whole bin of just old cut wood, and another week two bins with carpet, wood, old hose which they didn't take, old wood birdhouse, so many plant containers in the plastic bins with other plastic items, etc. My three recycle bins were overflowing. I still have many boxes of all the metal stuff in the garage, which has to be re-gone though again and sorted into aluminum, steel, copper, etc. Some things have to disassembled to get the metal out and the rest discarded.

In the mean time, I am trying to sell some things on Craigslist: toboggans, knee board that goes behind a boat, brand new freezer still in the box (never used), twin headboards, saxophone, 5 pc. drum set with 3 cymbals, and more. I still haven't had time to start pricing for a garage sale. One of my neighbors has already had a garage sale but I dared not go over there. I just want to get rid of things I don't need or use. All this was in the past 5 months also.

I still am cutting shrubs which I did a bit this morning and continue to do everything I need to do. I will be cutting shrubs very early for the next few days until they are trimmed. Oh, I meant to say Frank hired someone for cutting the lawn; not me.

When I did go through the kitchen cabinets I did put some old pots, dishes, water bottles in boxes to be gotten rid of/donated/sold and they are still there. A few things I did take out and donated some items already from those boxes.

I have to admit that I did stop at a second hand shop and bought a few bowls and plates for my cooking needs to replace some of what I got rid of. I even bought a refrigerator BPA free container for cold water and put aside the old one for now.

So, I have been progressing little by little. The trick is to not buy anything and keep at the goal of getting rid of things in one way or another. During the process it's good to keep an eye on what you like and don't, what you may do in the future so not to get rid of those needed things until you realize you don't need them any longer, and have time to wonder how you would like your life to be life going forward; things you would like different, things you would like to change, things you would like to do, and change of colors you want to surround you. It's a long and interesting process with a lot of work involved.
July 13, 2013 at 9:29am     
pattiegoode
If you are selling, you must get everything out of that kitchen, clean it til you can't clean it anymore - then strategically stage it. Here's a quote from a real estate site: "Alphabetize your spices. Turn all coffee cup handles facing the same direction. Buyers will notice and think you are meticulous about the rest of the home, too." That's how detailed you must be & how far your first pix are from achieving that. Why have skillets in 4 sizes when one will do? Simplify, simplify, simplify!

July 13, 2013 at 9:36am     
tcalderon
I still like the wood for the kitchen and dinette; oak to match the rest of that level. I am not really wanting the extra cabinets just for the reason of the cost involved. It was my first thought months ago just to some how do the cabinets myself without really looking into what was involved. The kitchen is already a neutral color and may just need to be repainted with some new type of paint or color. I am not real keen on having that section of cabinets jutting out if I get new ones in there. It adds more cabinet space but you get tired of walking around it all the time.

My neighbor gave me a 5 pc dinette set and it's all natural oak that really goes with the floors. It's only 2 years old and used a little. She always has it covered with a table cloth. What I have in there now is metal benches and two chairs since 1979 or 1980. Should I get rid of the metal and put in the wood or not? The wood is quite early American and the bench set is more contemporary and garden like feeling.

I have blinds in most of the house, but they are old. I have bright yellow blinds that go above the wood trim of the kitchen dinette windows at least 6-8 inches on both the windows and the patio doors. These are 1" metal blinds. What type of blinds should I put there, what size, color, and where should they be mounted?
July 13, 2013 at 10:23am   
tcalderon
Should all the blinds in the whole house be the same?
July 13, 2013 at 10:28am     
PRO
Rococo & Taupe, Inc.
Yes ... Try to make the house feel as one flowing space.

They have nice 2" wide faux wood blinds in white at lowes and Home Depot that they will cut to size for you... Not expensive and they look substantial.
Keep it simple!
July 13, 2013 at 10:39am     
apple_pie_order
If you have photos of the oak floors and new dinette set, that would probably get some responses to your question.

1" metal blinds are not in fashion at the moment. Don't spend good money on new ones. Take them down when you start to paint.

A good time to put up simple panel curtains would be when you are finished painting, a couple weeks before the "for sale" sign goes up.
July 13, 2013 at 10:42am   
alisonheppell
People have too much stuff,work on the premis if something comes in the house something must go out ,people dont need a myriad of pans ,less is more!
July 13, 2013 at 10:51am   
tcalderon
Oak floors in living room which I would like in the kitchen and dinette area. Table and 4 chairs from the neighbor.
July 13, 2013 at 11:14am   
samjallaq
Can anyone take a look at a discussion I posted? I need some input !
July 13, 2013 at 11:15am   
PRO
Rococo & Taupe, Inc.
samjallaq...is your question about the new house your building?
July 13, 2013 at 11:37am   
apple_pie_order
Thanks for posting the photos. The new dinette set is attractive. The oak floors look very nice. I think it's time to sell or donate the older yellow dinette furniture.
July 13, 2013 at 11:51am     
bygeorgi
The base board color is very pretty......it would be nice to see that shade of wood in your kitchen also. And the floors are so nice, great selling point I would for sure play those up.
July 13, 2013 at 12:01pm   
mollythecollie
I agree with apple_ pie ! I also want to congratulate you on all of the work you have been accomplishing during these last five months. You are doing fantastic.
July 13, 2013 at 12:03pm     
hazeldazel
When you're ready to put the house on the market, keep in mind that when you're showing the house (or taking the pictures), you must have everything pretty much packed up already. The house has to be completely free of any and all clutter, nothing on the counters, no photos on walls, only a couple pieces of furniture in a room. And of course, neutral paint on walls, nice and clean everywhere, yard maintained. Luckily, the housing market has really picked up across the country, so this is good timing.
July 13, 2013 at 12:30pm   
tcalderon
How would I do the kitchen cabinets myself to a darker stain? Any suggestions on what to do like where to get them sanded or not, etc.?
July 13, 2013 at 12:56pm     
tcalderon
That trim is the color I want for the kitchen cabinets and with the oak flooring. I know it looks nice! Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate receiving them.

The problem with putting in a new window is that the less expensive ones are white, and my old windows were wood with the same color stain and looks good with the trim naturally.

I think I would put in the darker colored blinds and probably 2" also in most places in the house, but then I waiver and think maybe only in the kitchen dinette area. Is it necessary to have the same blinds everywhere? I only have 3 bedrooms upstairs and a den downstairs. You can see the shades in the living room in the photos.
You can tell I am indecisive many times. I need help and ideas.
July 13, 2013 at 1:02pm   
PRO
Rococo & Taupe, Inc.
Just clean the house, put it on the market, and move already... your way over thinking it.
July 13, 2013 at 1:31pm     
pattiegoode
TC, are you procrastinating? Have a living estate sale where someone comes in & does the work for a percentage. I don't want to be morbid, but my mother passed away and it was extremely stressful for my sisters & I to have to clean out her home. I have made a promise to myself that I will not do that to my sons! Now is the time to simplify your life & your home. Simplify.
July 14, 2013 at 12:01am     
tcalderon
That was happened to me. My mother passed and she lived with me, and it is more than stressful. She saved everything.
July 14, 2013 at 8:08am   
apple_pie_order
Tcalderon: how long have you lived in the house?
July 14, 2013 at 8:32am     
tcalderon
I have lived in this house since 1979. When I went through the garage I didn't think about anything when I was going through the items. I just sorted things in boxes and tried to go through everything as fast as possible. I found tricycle parts from my children's tricycle that I replaced when they were probably 3 or 4. I found a box of their drawings from that age also. I found crochet and knitting mags from my mother and one of her sisters. I found old phonograph records from the 60s and 70s which are mine. I found old tools that can be replaced by Craftsman. I tried not to think of anything. If it was a box of things that needed me to really look at it, then I set it aside for later, but am not lingering on everything in the box. I will keep some of the drawings of my kids but not all of them. I will let them see them and let them decide if they want to keep any after I choose the ones I want since I will put together a book for each of them. I have been a single parent since my youngest was 2 and was separated 1.5 years prior.
July 14, 2013 at 9:09am   
pattiegoode
Trust me, you will feel so much lighter and liberated when you let go of all this "stuff." You (and I!) have memories. We were there. We lived it! We don't need the baggage of all this stuff dragging us down. Two of my sisters have lived through house fires where they lost practically every thing from their past. They were glad to survive & move on. Be brave! You can do it! Call someone to do a sale for you! At least you could check on it. Good luck to you!
July 14, 2013 at 9:36am     
apple_pie_order
Thank you for the information on how long you have lived there. It's a long time since 1979. As a single mother, there would not have been a lot of free time for yourself.

I like Pattiegoode's idea of calling someone who does estate sales. Then you will know how they work and what kind of time they'd need to prepare. You've done a huge amount in the last five months.

Are there things your boyfriend can do that would help you prepare the house for sale? Perhaps post things on ebay or drive back and forth to disposal and charity drop-offs? Make phone calls?
July 14, 2013 at 9:49am     
tcalderon
Right now Frank is going to be selling the printers and a few other machines I had in his garage sale or online.
He has to wait until his association gives him the word that the garage sale is an ok since they are checking to see if other people want to join in on the sale.

Would you believe it! My mother has new stainless steel carving sets from around 1978, and have never been used. I will be working on those later on to list them or get a price. I have also a cake plate that spins from when I was a baby. I know. I have to be sentimental with some things.

I have to set up a web site with all the vintage clothing and am going to start working on that this afternoon. This takes some thought and effort on my part. I finished cutting the shrubs this morning with only a few little things to do and that can probably wait even till the Fall. That took 9 hours over 3 mornings, and me sweating all the time. It's even warm at 6:30 or 7 am when I would start.

I broke my ankle in 3 places on Jan 31, 2012 and re-cooperated a long time. I haven't started walking that much or running like I used to but am considering to do more of that to give myself more energy. I did take a bike down from the rafters, took it to a bike shop for a tune-up, and now have it back. I want get back into riding for some exercise. This helps me get more motivated. When I saw a few communities that were nice to live in that was the big motivation that got me really moving into action. I was sort of putzin' along before that.
July 15, 2013 at 12:34pm     
tcalderon
I'm wondering if Frank will hire someone to help me do this type of sale. Right now, I am posting on Craigslist. I'm guessing either the toboggons or the freezer will go first.
July 15, 2013 at 12:35pm   
Vivian
I have posted this before so some may have seen it but when we retired I really had to downsize. First is to really admit and sort out everything that you have not used in the past year. As for the kitchen. Bottom shelves are for stuff you use everyday, second shelf is once a week and third shelf, once a month. Everything else need to be determined by yearly or good intentions. You will be surprised by how much space you can create. Example: if you have dishes for entertaining but don't do it daily or weekly, move it up. I had a whole cabinet of baking pans and casserole dishes that seldom get used anymore, but was taking up space that my canned goods needed.
Tubs are for keepsakes that can be stored and looked at on sentimental days. You can use some of these for your displays in your new home. If you have kids (we had a six kid blended family) get them to take as much as possible in the category of "I really don't want to part with this but do not have room for" and go to their house and look at it. Give them their keepsakes while you are still alive:)
July 15, 2013 at 1:32pm     
tcalderon
I still have all the house and garage clutter on my mind. Recently, I have sold a drawing table from the garage,
a large bunch of books at a half price bookstore, have 10 bids on vintage clothing on ebay, have some people interested to buy a saxophone, vintage bicycle, golf bag (hardshell), and some books. I also sold 6 pieces of vintage clothing to a vintage shop owner who gears her sales to young kids. I made one mistake with some books and ended up giving them away instead of holding on to them for sale on craigslist. Darn! I had just gotten rid of the books the day before. I should have stuck to my original plan and not changed it at the book store.

Other than that I have postings on ebay and craigslist and am trying to talk to some shop owners in the area. Still no garage sale yet and summer is coming to an end soon. I will probably continue to post on these sites and see what else I can sell per season. Next year may be a good time for a garage sale after I sell some more items. People tell me that the sites are better to sell things than a garage sale. I think probably so, if you have the patience to keep renewing the items on a weekly basis someone will find something sooner or later.
Even the bigger items are worth selling on the sites rather than a garage sale so I have been told. So that is the plan for now.
August 15, 2013 at 6:33pm   
pluckygirl
Have you looked into setting up a store on Etsy?
August 15, 2013 at 6:59pm   
debbiconti
Ur kitchen looks like mine; )
August 15, 2013 at 7:01pm   
debbiconti
Even the garbage bag on the door!
August 15, 2013 at 7:03pm   
tcalderon
I will look into Etsy since I don't know what it is.
I still have the brown bags on the floor for recycle items; one for paper and the other for everything else like cans. I also have recycle bins in the front of the house behind some shrubs. I can't put the fresh recycle things out there except for paper since the raccoons tend to go through the bin if they smell something that might be food. I have found tuna cans on the driveway in the mornings, so I decided to dry cans out in the kitchen before putting them outside. Many times those items get put in the bin the night before garbage pick-up to avoid the raccoons getting cut on the cans or me having to retrieve them.

I have plastic bags on the drawers for a few reasons. One is to recycle the plastic bags at the Jewel/Osco. Another bag is to recycle batteries. Another one is for something else, and you get the idea. It's almost like you have a mini recycle thing going on like Best Buy when you walk into their front door.

I also did give away several items to my older daughter. She has more boxes to go through which is her stuff from school. That is for another day. I also saved some items for my younger daughter but will probably end up storing those things until she is ready for them. Those things didn't put much of a dent in all the things that need to be sold, but at least those pieces are gone from my dwelling.

If my kitchen looks like yours then we must be on parallel planes trying to get rid of things or at least thinking about it. It took some time to start to decide on what to get rid of first. Currently, I am working on papers to get more organized. Everyone has to do that every month or so. I seem to even procrastinate that and that is a bad habit. That has to be remedied.

I am reading this book by Deepak Chopra and it's about finding and reinventing one's soul. Well, I need that, so am studying it, and am only half way through it. First, you have to know what the soul is and if you can get in touch with it with practice. I would say these bad habits I have need to be addressed at the soul level. I'm working on it.
August 15, 2013 at 8:07pm     
Ra Prem
Use cupboards with more small doors don't use big doors it occupies space have organized racks for cans and stuffs use hydraulic upward going doors ..customize use 1-2 big giant draws and use the big rail for pulling out the drawslittle more out so u can use the inside space...Organize things and keep clean
August 18, 2013 at 2:39am   
Take out the soffit & take cabinets to ceiling. Use butt doors, add pull out shelves to cabinets for can goods, replace some cabinets with large drawers for more and easier to see storage.
August 18, 2013 at 6:31am     
apple_pie_order
@tcalderon: Starting a new thread would probably get helpful comments related to your current plans instead of the old dilemma from 7 months ago. I'm impressed that you have carried out so many of the things you decided to do: listing and selling vintage clothes, giving things to family members, donating to charity.

How funny you should mention raccoons and recycling. I gave up my compost heap in the yard because it attracted raccoons searching for kitchen vegetable scraps. Now we use only covered recycling bins and covered trash cans that the raccoons can't get into. Voila, no more raccoon problem.
August 18, 2013 at 7:31am   
brickln
If you're staying long term, place a pantry style cabinet floor to ceiling where the peninsula is, since your storage needs are paramount. All cabinetry should go to the ceiling. Extend similar 12,15 or 18" deep stock cabinetry along the wall where your shelving is, the largest size that will fit without disturbing the window. You've proven you can live without that floor space! Leave a section open in the middle for a countertop like Molly's pic above (closed shelving above, though). Have outlets installed so you can run small appliances there.
If you're going to move, the current floor plan is best if there is no other eating area in the home. New cabinets should extend to the ceiling to correct the storage problem. If you have a dining room, narrow hutch style cabinetry along the open wall would be a good improvement, but leave the peninsula for more counter space in the work area.
August 18, 2013 at 9:25am