Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help for my kitchen!
carolinakids
January 23, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We have a home that is 7 months old. We built it imagining a big eat in kitchen at our large island. We have ended up with seating for 3 and we need seating for 5. My husband and I usually pull up our extra 2 bar stools to the ends of the island with our legs are squished in the sides of the cabinets. Ugh. We need a better kitchen design to include seating for at least 5 with lots of counter space still. We have lots of space there, we just don't know how to design it. (We know we will be removing the carpet in the adjoining family room to make the space flow a little better). Any design thoughts are greatly appreciated!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
apple_pie_order
How about two additional pieces on each side of the island that flip up when you want to eat and flip down when not in use?
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 11:00AM
PRO
Hawkins Cabinetry and Design
What if the island was oriented lengthwise and you were to add an additional piece that was open underneath? I don't know the dimensions so I am not sure this would work it might as long as you were able to keep safe and proper distance from sink/fridge.
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 11:09AM
PRO
Sarah Bernardy Design
I think that Apple_pie_order has a good suggestion for a quick fix, but if you are looking for something more permanant then that may not be the right solution. I'm sorry to hear that your home is so new and yet doesn't fullfill your needs. You can either start from scratch and build a whole new island, which will be expensive, but if well planned worth it. Or you can try to build off of your exisitng by expanding the top out towards the now carpeted area. Replacing the granite won't be inexpensive either, but may be the proper solution. You can extend the top out another two feet to accomadate two more stools on the sides, just know you will have to have legs to support the weight of the top. Consult with your local granite/countertop showroom as they can work with you on options and shapes that best fit your space and needs.
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 11:13AM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
You could add a curved glass top to your existing island. You have plenty of room and the curve will accommodate the extra stools. The glass can float above your existing granite top. They use metal stand offs that go through the granite and glass. Here is a picture of one that is not curved but you will get the idea.
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 11:23AM
PRO
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 12:36PM
PRO
Hawkins Cabinetry and Design
or you could do something like we have done here... depending on what you do with the ends...have seating both sides of the center.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 12:38PM
PRO
Risner Cabinetry
We run into space issues all the time, especially in a condo. I suggest designing an island with a hidden table. This works great and magic always keeps people smiling! The sample photo shows a smaller island, but you will get the point. Good luck with your project!
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 1:01PM