Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Dated fireplace needs help!
valcaro
January 23, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am having trouble figuring out how to update my fireplace. It needs a mantle or brick painting or something, but the awkward layout/corner makes it asymetrical and difficult to plan around. The brick wraps around to a second corner (as shown in the photos). Please help!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Ironwood Builders
I think the best you can do is float a shelf out and maybe veneer over the brick with stone.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 9:36PM
lfordnh
I've been seeing a lot of beautiful painted brick fireplaces on this website, thinking of doing it myself. all white i think for mine or a dk gray can't really see the other colors in your room
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 9:57PM
ossiander
If you are handy you can make a box around that fireplace and trim with crown molding and it can make a nice fireplace mantel. You can paint the brick too if you want to crate a solid color.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 10:00PM
lefty47
HI -- Short of taking the whole thing out , I would paint it and add a big beam mantel and have it angled to fit corner .You could also have the firebox framed with some granite or cut flat stone . Then get a round mirror . The mirror there now is not helping things at all.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 10:09PM
Darzy
It's not an ugly brick like some. I like the white "blotches' in the brick and the corner niche could be really neat. What style is your house? Where is it located? Can you show the entire space to give you ideas? Depending...wooden row bow "oars" could be cool here..
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 10:11PM
onthefence
I totally agree with Darzy. in fact, I think the brick you have is pretty great.

I think the mirror or whatever you put there needs to be in a different frame. Something either white, very dark charcoal or the same metal as your fireplace tools to work more with the brick. Also, consider changing your fireplace screen to something that sits flush against the fireplace.

I'm not really sure about a mantle. If you have art, a mantle, a screen and tools on half the wall and nothing on the other side, it's going to seem very out of balance to me.
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 10:23PM
Karen Brenner
I agree with onthefence mostly....the only thing I would advise differently is to get rid of the screen and do some decorative glass doors ( an insert) that go with the style of your decor and definately a better mirror! The mantle would only make the side wall of brick look out of place. "Keep it simple", I say.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 10:34PM
valcaro
Here are some pictures of the exterior of the house. My home is in New England, south of Boston. Style is a mix between rustic and contemporary I guess (Restoration Hardware?)--- simple lines, neutral colors, anti-clutter! Thanks for the great ideas. I agree with the mirror and screen 100%. That can happen today!
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 3:21AM