Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Early 90s kitchen needs update
lahmiller
January 23, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Our quarter-sawn oak cabinets are nice, ample, and well-organized, but they seem dated especially paired with the dull, uncomfortable tile flooring. Any suggestions as to how to bring our kitchen into this decade and the next would be appreciated. The colors in the photo are a little off as they were taken on a dreary day.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sandkshouse
There have been a number of discussions in design dilemma and before & after with homeowners using cabinet restoration products with spectacular results. Adding a tiled backsplash would help, too. No matter what you do, I'd take down the wavy valance over the window.
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 2:05PM
sandkshouse
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 2:07PM
jccbaker
I also had tile in a previous kitchen and it was hard on the feet. I hated it. Getting rid of the tile and putting down a good grade of congoleum would be nice. (I agree about the wavy valance.)
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 2:10PM
PRO
Tee'scapes
try putting down cork its easy clean and very good on you feet and back
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 2:13PM
0825sam
Without knowing budget, some suggestions would be to remove wavy valance over window, update counter/bar stools with something more contemporary, paint cabinets white, paint walls something more neutral like a light grey (or cabinets grey and walls white). I can't really tell what color or material your countertops are, but if they are saying and they are more of a cream or tan, I would adjust the grey/white suggestions to take on some of that tone. For the floor, I like a warm wide plank hardwood floor - then you could work some wood into the kitchen if you paint over the cabinets. We just did a moroccan walnut in our kitchen. I also like the more contemporary 12x24 wood or cement look porcelain tiles. A white subway tile backsplash is pretty budget friendly.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 2:17PM
PRO
Tee'scapes
although budget friendly subway tile is a little blah.....you can get tile on sale at any hardware store or kitchen and bathroom store...just ask the manager or owner what tiles they have in the back to be returned due to lack of sale and you may find something that you really like....its always great to try different and budget savvy
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 5:10AM
Nancy Hehmann
The window over the sink is beautiful! I would take down the wavy cornice and you will see it better. I would get more modern hardware for the cabinets and more modern bars tools. I would get an area rug for the kitchen in a nice modern print. NO ROOSTERS. I would not look for one in the kitchen section.
WHat about a brown zebra print. Mine in the kitchen is not washable but we have a Hoover steam cleaner so I can easily clean it whenever I want. I also have one of their cleaners for tile and hardwoods.

I am a huge granite fan and would take a drawer to more than one granite shop and choose a granite that compliments the wood in your kithchen. I would visit more than one store b/c prices and what they carry vary. I would be sure take take the sample back to my kitchen if I were you b/c lighting can change the look of things.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 7:13AM
lahmiller
Thanks for your suggestions, Tee'scapes and Carolina Photo! Yes, my inherited roosters really have to go.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 11:02AM
PRO
Stuart Nordin Design
Painting the cabinets white would help to brighten the space and bring it up to date, and it's something you can do yourself!
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 12:59PM