Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
FOYER HELP PLEASE :)
Susan Wiliams
January 23, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Our home was flooded last September and we are done with the bedrooms and bath finally. BUT I really need help with the entry foyer. I would like to make it seem like a separate room but being careful because it is a 8 ft x 8 1/2 ft. area. As you can see with the pics, the contractor is doing wall repair before painting it. I would LOVE to put some kind of molding across top and maybe small 1/2 columns? But want to be careful not to "overload" the entry area. I also have included the piece of art ( 45" x 34") that I will be using on the wall directly when guests are coming in or on one of the 2 side walls. My friend that has been helping me suggested that I send this to you for suggestions. The color will be toned down to a lighter yellow honey tone ( Valspar Signature Beeswax paint). RIght now it is more of a mustard so ignore the paint in the pic. I do have a bench (40"x20"x21") that I have taken a pic of too that had been in there. I am not saying it has to stay but thought i would include for your review. Last, this chandelier in the pix is what I had put up which I love but am now thinking it would be better in my DR due to the size. Is it too large for that foyer? I am thinking a sofa table on one wall with a mirror over it and maybe a sconce on each side. Other wall adjacent would be bench with a wall of different size family photos. Had round medallion type rug on the wood floor. We are having wood floors put down again. One more thing: I am now into painting our ceilings in our rooms. Never had done this before and LOVE IT. Got the idea from this site. Would you suggest monochromatic with paint on wall and ceiling or could I do a contrast ceiling color that would pull from the artwork or a rug. And what type rug would you suggest? Round, square, rectangular? The one I had I am putting in a diff room. This is a 1750 sq town home built in 2006. THANK YOU so very much :)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
You need to post photos of ALL the walls in this area. We only see the front door here.
2 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 2:22PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I always suggest painted ceilings..but it is almost always ignored.
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 2:24PM
PRO
TRAM Construction
You really do need to post more pictures to see all walls and entrances also a picture of the ceiling is necessary for any suggestions.
2 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 2:30PM
Susan Wiliams
The side walls of the foyer are 61" and 92" with 9 foot ceilings. Wall with pix there is setting is 69". The wall that is 61" is the wall with the hall closet. I am considering decorative molding around the ceiling and/or corners leading from the foyer into the other room. I have taken a few pics of the ceiling and crown that is up there now.
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 3:08PM
Susan Wiliams
here is a close up of the art and the front of the house and a few other shots. Wondering about black ceiling with white medallion around pendant type chandelier? foyer opens up to kitchen/great room on one side and hall to bedrooms and laundry room on the other side of wall
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 3:41PM
PRO
TRAM Construction
I think all of your ideas are great, color scheme works too. Just a couple of suggestions if they can be done The light is beautiful but the light it gives off doesn't add drama to the space. If possible I would install some Mini Recessed Spots and then have the chandelier at candlelight on a dimmer. WAC lighting has some beautiful old work cans that would fit up into the ceiling. Also in the picture I have attached is a substantial crown molding. Your crown has good size but you could make it appear to be larger by adding an additional piece of either picture rail or bed molding about 4 or 5 inches down from your existing crown, then you paint the ceiling some bold but warm color, the crown along with the new piece of molding and the space between the two moldings gets painted your trim color then the walls finish it out with the yellow honey tone. Also in the picture we installed a very simple panel molding around the room so you could always do that too. I do like the idea of half columns but I am picturing they are on the two corners of the 61" wall going from floor to to the bottom of the crown molding. I would have them return on the sides also to create a wall stuck in between these two columns and make it appear they are structural.
2 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 3:50PM
Susan Wiliams
wow, just excellent suggestions...so grateful to you:) We have just replaced the other rooms with 5 1/4 baseboard and my first thought was it makes the crown look sorta small. I am going to incorporate that in all my rooms now with the thick molding. Makes a huge difference in this pic you sent. Maybe 1/2 wall molding around the 2 side walls and by the door. Then on the 61" wall, just the columns. Okay so about the ceiling-I am really enjoying my bedrooms having the ceiling painted. I have never done that before and it just changes the room. Your ideas? I have done a contrast maybe 3-4 shades lighter in 2 of the bedrooms and in the master, I put a warm cranberry on the trey ceiling and it is stunning. So I am wanting now to do my foyer as well. Not to mention the LR and DR when we start that reconstruct. Another ? I had someone suggest painting the back of the door black because it sets off the honey creamy gold paint which I think would be awesome. Could I do that if I put up the panel molding? I promise this is the last ?, well at least for tonight. lol I had wanted to have some type of ceiling thick molding at the top of the ceiling that goes from the entry to the short hall. Hard to describe where to you. As I stand at the front door and look in. it would be at the top of the wall/ceiling going that joins the 2 side walls-does that make sense. I will try to attach a pic here. You have been such a huge help!
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 6:17PM
jannielee
I like to have a hall table or console on at least one side in a foyer. Nice to have somewhere to place keys, hang a mirror place a console lamp or two. Not sure of your style, but consider something like this http://www.homefurnitureshowroom.com/entry-tables/powell-502-515-black-demilune-console-entry-table_g415860.html?isku=3961792&linkloc=cataLogProductItemsImage

It would look great with a starburst mirror above it similar to
http://www.claytongrayhome.com/item/Liz-Silver-Leaf-Starburst-Mirror/2779

As for family photos, they can tend to look busy or cluttery unless you make them cohesive via like frames and mats. I tend to like black & white photos 5 x 7 or smaller with large white mats.

If you use a backless bench in your foyer, be sure to add some pillows to make it look like an inviting comfortable spot.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 6:43PM
PRO
TRAM Construction
No problem, I like to at least try and help. Honestly, all of my ceilings and a lot of my clients ceilings have some statement. So going a few shades lighter or darker is great but it doesn't always have to be monochromatic. It can also have different textures such as a ceiling we did that we fauxed to have the look of tan leather. (Picture below) And yes, a black door would work with the panel mold or with your honey creamy paint if you decide not to do the panels,but I would paint it in an Epoxy to get a beautiful gloss to it, don't do it in flat or semi-gloss. The door is always a statement so it will work but just the door, if you do the trim and panels around the door you will end up with a black hole with no definition. I do understand the step down of ceilings and your idea of something to trim that area out. That's a tough one because it needs to have rhyme and reason and it gets into that fussy how does this thing work issue. Let me think about it and I will get back to you tomorrow.
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 6:56PM
Susan Wiliams
Question for Tram: when you said you see the columns on the 61" wall, I just wanna make sure we are talking about the same wall. The 61" wall is the wall with th closet.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 1:49PM
PRO
TRAM Construction
Sorry my mistake, the wall I was referring to is the picture that is top left of the four that you uploaded after we asked for more shots. I am not sure but I thought that is what you see as you enter the front door. Could you post a picture from the front door looking into the space as you enter your home. Now this may get a little complicated but I will try and get it right from the orientation of the photos to one another. When you enter your home you have the closet wall to the right, directly in front of me I would see that dropped ceiling that you had wanted some solution to and just beyond that you have a blank wall that has crown on top. So I need to know what is on the left side wall directly opposite the corner of the wall that has the closet on it. Does it have a corner in line with the corner of the closet wall? Below is a sketch of the overhead of your foyer as I envision it, is this right?
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 7:28PM
Susan Wiliams
Thank you much for your continued help. I will take a pic in the am. Your picture looks very accurate. I could not read the writing as it is small. The left hand wall (opposite of the closet wall) is about 4 inches shorter in length than the right side wall. I will try my best to get a couple of decent shots so you can perhaps see what I am saying. The drop of that ceiling is approx. 8" from the base of the crown. I did not even realize that both walls were not the same length until this week when foyer work began. Why the builder did that I have no clue. Finding lots of those things though in this process :) you sure have a great eye to be able to draw out my foyer from those very amateur pics! Lol. I will post some photos tomorrow am when it is light. Thanks again!
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 3:07PM
Susan Wiliams
By the way, I want to make my description of the 2 side walls a bit clearer. The 61" wall was not including the closet. It was confusing how I measured-sorry. Like I said above, the corners are about 4" different in length. Sounds clear as mud with how I am describing all of this.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 3:14PM
Susan Wiliams
Tram, I just caught a few pics of rooms that have black ceilings, either flat or eggshell. Have you seen this done? It makes a statement for sure, especially with white thick crown and baseboards. And thinking that honey would pop with it. I have started the last 5 years doing color all over the house and just got done with an office is dark gray and it is beautiful. Just talking out loud....if black is too much, maybe a chocolate? Guess I am taking your advice and doing something other than 3-4 shades lighter or darker. Black is about as bold as it gets!
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 3:24PM
PRO
TRAM Construction
Please do not do black, that is more for a restaurant, gym or nightclub. We have done this application but only in commercial spaces. It's ok to go dark, browns, greens or greys in either a brown or green family not in the strictly grey family, again too commercial. I look forward to your updated photos for your space and I will look through some of our projects to try and find the techniques of the columns and their effect on their space.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 5:59PM
PRO
TRAM Construction
Susan, if you roll over the image I drew it will appear larger so you would be able to read it on an IPad or computer but not on an iPhone or droid
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 5:14AM
Aja Mazin
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 5:34AM
Susan Wiliams
Here are some other shots of the foyer-this hopefully shows the 2 upper corners of the foyer wall where I would like to put something across it, whatever that looks like i.e.: build out a small arch connecting the right and left side or put some type of molding up. Or if there are the 2 columns on the wall facing the door, maybe that would define the area enough. If I need to get a diff angle, just let me know :) THANKS!!!
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 1:13PM
Susan Wiliams
a few more I had taken
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 1:19PM
Susan Wiliams
Tram, thank you so much for helping me understand how to enlarge the diagram. And you have drawn out perfectly where my mind is going. Just now have to see if it makes sense like you had said about having a rhyme and reason to it. It is sure obvious you have lots of experience-cant believe you could draw out what you did.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 1:25PM
Susan Wiliams
Just thinking if something like this would work? Not as chunky given the size of my foyer/walls. Or maybe this would close it in and make it look smaller. http://www.houzz.com/discussions/314594/Please-help-me-enclose-my-office-without
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 1:48PM
PRO
TRAM Construction
Hi Sally, I am finally able to get back to you. I have done a few sketches and a photo of a panel so you have an idea of what I am am talking about. Thank you for your kind words about me being able to pick out how your foyer lays out but believe me the photos did it all. The idea of the header like the one you sent in the link, let's drop it, it is too heavy for your space and from the photo, their header is way out of balance with the legs of the side legs. You can work with what you already have without closing down the entrance itself. First off, what doesn't really help with that type of header is the fact your two walls do not line up, one is a few inches longer, so that makes it complicated. Let's go back to the original suggestion of picture mold 3 or 4" below the existing crown in the foyer and painting the space in between the same color to create the illusion it is a larger crown. Now with that extra piece of trim in place around the perimeter, at the area that has the step down ceiling there probably will be 1, 2 or 3 inches left under the new trim. This is a good thing. You could paint that the trim color also and that will give the visualization of a header. Now moving down to the bottom of the crown on the step down ceiling, that will be the top of your corner columns on both sides. So it will appear that the columns are holding up the crown. I would add the fake columns on the wall that you faces you from the front door but they are not necessary. The key with the columns is to use simple 1x trim and a series of bed and scotia molding to create this illusion of a corner column. If you need more details please feel free to call me, my number is on my HOUZZ page, and I will go over the details with you.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 1:28PM
PRO
TRAM Construction
Here is a picture of a fake corner column we did on a barn in Martha's Vineyard. You could add a band or scotia in the panels but the owner opted to leave it as is. He wanted clean lines and not much detail
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 1:35PM
Sher Sc
Susan, you hit the jackpot when TRAM came on board!!! He really knows what he's talking about, very experienced. I would paint the foyer ceiling off white or any light neutral color since you are working with a small space. The glossy black door & warm honey color on walls with white framing will be beautiful but don't box it in with a dark ceiling. Just keep in mind, it is a small space. Adding a very small narrow table with drawer or cabinet (will give you extra storage for keys & such) with a sunburst distressed metal or gold mirror & a plant on it would look nice. No sconces since you'll have the columns, you don't want to clutter. A small rug with just a small amount of black & gold in it. I like your framed picture, the colors will look nice with your choice of paint. But hang it away from front door, on other end of foyer. I agree with you about the chandelier, too big for foyer. Sounds like it would work for your bedroom. You might want to purchase a smaller fixture made for the foyer. Looks like your focal point will be the black door, so now you need to draw attention to what your guest will see coming in. My best to YOU!
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 1:50PM
Susan Wiliams
I feel like I have hit the jackpot too with all Trams help:). Just incredibly blessed! I am so anxious to post " after pictures" of my foyer. Construction is held up now for a few days due to the flu but hopefully within 7-10 days, I will have new images to share.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 2:00PM