Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
How do I finish staging my Family room?
daryajoon
January 23, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My home is a Mediterranean style but our style is more modern/transitional. This space is very awkward and tough to stage. The main wall is so large and I really want to use the space effectively. I am thinking about putting a large rustic coffee table and may even considered bay seating under the window and also need to decide on decorative (not functional) window treatment design but it has to be a style that would work with the sliding door in the nook area adjacent to the TV room which I have also included a photo of.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Dytecture
I would find a theme and run with it, which in your case is quite minimum and contemporary.

January 23, 2013 at 3:00PM   
daryajoon
I like the above room. What do you specifically recommend for that wall...wall unit/shelf/photos?
January 23, 2013 at 3:04PM   
PRO
The Staging Fashionista
My suggestion would be is to create a setting around the fireplace which you started. I would actually move the sofa table against the large wall farther down the wall and move a chair into that space at an angle to create more of a conversation area. Place a coffee table or a large ottoman in front of sofa and create a nice cozy area. I would add alarge starburst mirror or colorful artwork above the sofa table that you moved further down the wall to fill up that large wall space so it doesn't look awkward.
January 23, 2013 at 3:07PM     
mmilos
I would put a very long console table on that wall and large scale art above. Flank the art with a pair of cool, modern looking lamps.
January 23, 2013 at 3:08PM     
PRO
MirrorWindows.com
Home stagers have used Mirror Windows to expand the feeling of space and the impression of added architural elements.
January 23, 2013 at 3:26PM     
PRO
MirrorWindows.com
Whoops "Architectural"
January 23, 2013 at 3:30PM   
carole
would you consider a more colorfull rug??and since you have so much wallspace,maybe put the tv on a consul along he wall and hang art or a big clock on the mantel?
January 23, 2013 at 4:17PM     
janishill
Hang the drapes high and wide as illustrated. In the family room area you may wish to hang drapery panels between the windows to help absorb sound and make the space feel fininshed.

The rug under the table is not large enough. The one from the family room looks like it might work better in that space.

I would move the sofa toward the fireplace and put the console table behind it. I would buy a mirrored coffee table and two upholstered chairs to go at each end.

A large book shelf on the long wall will break it up. You may want to add an ottman or two for extra seating.
January 23, 2013 at 4:20PM     
daryajoon
Thanks for all the detailed comments. I am trying to buy the least amount of furniture at this point.

There was suggestion about moving the chair to create conversation area or moving the TV to the wall with shelves around it! (pic1) I could add a low ikea (pic) 2

I could paint or tile the fireplace wall and put a mirror or art on the fireplace (pic 4)

I have looked at getting 2 arm chairs but the price is almost the same as getting a new L shape couch with recliners which i may eventually do. thats why i thought if i add bay seating for now i could always use those. not sure about the cost though. may not be necessary!

As far as window panels I could either put them between each window (4panels+2 for nook) or on both sides of the wall. also i could do straight down or it was suggested to do think panels on each side and pull them back with a tie! may cause problem with bay seating!

will rustic or wood COFFEE TABLE not look good? (Pic 3)

i have purchased a WALL ORGANIZER wider than the ladder that could go on the right side of the wall or I do a couple of shelves with family photos frames above them.

Any other suggestions?
January 23, 2013 at 7:37PM   
PRO
karen paul interiors
Are you staging you home to sell?
January 23, 2013 at 7:41PM   
pcmom1
Rug under the dining table is too small. Chairs are hanging off. Try the living room rug under the table. The chairs should be on the rug with room to pull in and out.

The ceiling is such a white expanse. Consider painting it the same tone as the walls, only a lighter shade.
January 23, 2013 at 7:45PM   
PRO
Designs by Susan
Actually staging to sell, the theme is "less is more." Prospective clients wants to see the benefits of the structure for their own furnishings. Show them space and features and not so much your furniture. I would move in the sofa and glass top end table closer to the fireplace. The rug seems a bit weak in color. You could use a pop of color in the rug to draw attention to the corner fireplace.
January 23, 2013 at 7:49PM   
daryajoon
YES. We plan to sell this home in the next 2 years depending on the job situation!

Here is the wall unit i have bought and the idea of family photos on a shelf that I liked.

Pic 3 is what i was planing to do if I kept everything where it is.
4th picture is another idea for that wall if I were to move the TV but the couch is on the carpet line and cant be turned to face that wall!
January 23, 2013 at 7:56PM   
PRO
JUL313 Gallery
I like the idea of staggering shelves on the wall. Make one of them lower to the ground and place a painting on it.. Lean it against the wall. Place minimal decor on remaining shelves.
January 23, 2013 at 9:18PM   
daryajoon
Are you suggesting leaving the console table there with shelves or move the TV with shelves?
January 23, 2013 at 9:54PM   
PRO
JUL313 Gallery
From the photo it appears to be a large room--I would leave the TV there,, scootch the couch forward a bit, place the console behind it. Find a large unique containter that you can put really tall bamboo or twigs in-sit it next to the fireplace. Place the shelves on the wall next to the container (like the ones in your first photo). Find a really large painting with some pop (about 36 x 60 I can provide that LOL) and place it on a lower shelf). I also like the idea someone suggested of long panels on the windows. My house is also contemporary and I resisted curtains at first. But I found these really neat rods--they are about 12 inches. I placed them in between my windows and hung a solid panel from them. Looks great. It will add just enough substanance to the room. I am an artist but also a realtor so don't spend a lot of money on expensive built in's that someone else may not appreciate,, especially if you are planning on moving in a few years. Pop it all out with a fun color here and there like teal. BTW love your dining room furniture.
January 24, 2013 at 6:16AM