powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Stuck in the 60's...need help with TV room makeover.
ConnieQ
January 23, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My husband and I now own his parents house that was built in 1965. We also inherited all the furnishings. Slowly, we are making the house be more reflective of us. Although, I do tend to like traditional, transitional and mid century design, I would like to see this room lightened up and more welcoming! My husband builds wooden boats, so I thought perhaps a large photo or mural of the boats would look great on the wall... I go back and forth on the wood paneling, paint it? whitewash it? make it look like wainscoting?...and the flame shag area rug on the floor? It's so old, I think it may be cool again! I welcome any suggestions. Thank you!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
joan settina
Without knowing your budget, I suggest removing/painting/covering the panelling first. But not until you have a plan about what to do about the fireplace.
Assuming your husband has the necessary carpentry skills, the fireplace could be updated by painting the brick white and adding a solid wood mantel that is atleast 10" deep. If possible eliminate the lower fireplace shelf, expand the opening, add a hearth and invest in a wood-burning stove.
Floor to ceiling shelves on both sides of the fireplace would offer a solution to containing some of the clutter as well as creating an opportunity to display favorite books and collections.
Lose the shag rug and ceiling fan.....you can do better . Best of luck!!
January 23, 2013 at 4:19PM     
carole
hello Connie,hope this pic. helps you visualize what painting the fireplace and changing the wall could do,and would it be poss. to change the stand for the fishtanks to white or maybe put doors in front in white??i agree that the rug needs to go,the colours are very strong.you could keep the smaller wall as it is if you really feel that taken all the panelling out is to drastic,once the big wall is changed that might be enough to brighten up the room
January 23, 2013 at 5:18PM     
ConnieQ
jsettina and carole, thanks so much for your suggestions! I forgot to mention that the fish tanks will be gone...and hoping for some type of built in cabinet/shelving units in their place. Also, the blue carpenter tape was recently applied by my husband to cover the holes in the fireplace doors. It is a temporary measure to check heat loss from the chimney. I will post a couple more pics of the room...
January 23, 2013 at 5:43PM   
mlondon17
here i was going to tell you about my ideas, then reading the other posts realized i didn't need to because those two have said exactly what was on my mind! I think painting the brick a nice white with the wood mantel would just be beautiful!
January 23, 2013 at 5:56PM     
carole
thanks!! now that i have seen the whole room,i really think you should get the carpet out,at the moment it RULES everything,and then group the chairs closer to the firplace,without the occasional table in between,once the fishtanks are gone you could place the tv on the left side of the fireplace(so the light from the window wont give glare)tthis way you can walk around the outside of the room and use the shelvingunit that is already there,and it would free up that wall for the painting you want to give your husband..
January 23, 2013 at 6:07PM     
ConnieQ
Thanks, carole! My thought about those chairs...or, as I refer to them, "Reclinerland"...is to replace them with a small sectional. And, then maybe add a swivel chair or two. That shelving unit hiding over in the corner has been measured and would actually fit along the right side of the fireplace. So, once those tanks are gone, I'd like to see how that looks. Thanks again for all your help!
January 23, 2013 at 6:23PM     
ConnieQ
Just for fun, I'll attach a pic of my husband's handiwork; two of his wood strip built boats. He rows the rowboat, I paddle the kayak! I would love to create this room so that it reflects his love of building boats and our love of spending time on the water in them!
January 23, 2013 at 6:53PM     
carole
wauw!!they are gorgeous,and what a nice way to spend time out and about.i have been kayaking only 3 times,but love it!!we live about 1hr away from the Dordogne river(france)no rapids but a lovely way to spend a summersday...back to the room;moving the unit and the tv will certainly give the room some space,will you post pics when that is done?/ i am curious now to see it all changed ;-)
January 24, 2013 at 7:21AM     
decoenthusiaste
Painting the paneling is an involved process of multiple steps and you may not be happy with the look as the vertical 'stripes" will still be there. Covering them is more complication, so you may want to remove it and drywall the room. Post when you do a bit of moving, so we can see how it is working out.
January 24, 2013 at 7:27AM     
carole
,i agree it is time consuming job but there are some good product out there to fill it in and Connie,your husband must be perfect in sanding!!!! it may not need to be all the walls that have to change,maybe after moving the furniture and moving out some other pieces,it might not be neccesary at all,the walls seem to all be in good shape, with more colour and new sectional and that big art on the one wall!!! lets wait and see what the new pics. will show?
January 24, 2013 at 7:39AM     
PRO
Oak & Broad
Those boats are beautiful. Your husband is a craftsman and an artist. I think with all this good advice you will be successful in your endeavor.
January 24, 2013 at 7:41AM     
maureenindk
Absolutely beautiful boats!!
January 24, 2013 at 7:47AM     
tinksama
The brick fireplace would look great painted, but that rock on the fireplace has to stay. The room's color should complement or be based on that green/gray. Also, use that window! It's a fantastic size, make sure to take advantage of it.
One problem you will have is the TV/fireplace focal point battle. We had the same problem, and hid a projector screen in our mantel. The projectors are down to $350-$400 at this point, and can be ceiling mounted or hidden on a coffee table shelf. Here's a link to our mantel if helpful :)
http://6826freemanridge.wordpress.com/2011/12/12/transformer-mantel/
January 24, 2013 at 8:56AM     
mcbriec
I agree that paneling should be dumped and the brick painted. If your husband makes smaller model boats (the real boats were gorgeous!), one could be hung over the fireplace and various boat-making paraphernalia could be displayed in built-ins on either side of the fireplace. If you have a sectional as someone else suggested, part of it could face the wall where the tv currently resides which would look much better with a flat screen tv and something attractive underneath it.
January 24, 2013 at 9:15AM     
carole
hi connie,these pict. show our paintings and our livingroom,as you can see we have the tv fireplace and the dogsbed all in the one corner,we have plenty space in the room,but no matter how many times i rearrange the furniture in winter we always seem to end up around the fire and the tv,and i think that is oke,a house is to live in!!
January 24, 2013 at 12:51PM     
bollmansct
Given your husband's considerable boatmaking talents, I would ask him to create a model, or rather a half-model, mount it and hang it above the fireplace, If you can put a spot in the ceiling to light it....even better. It will create a unique piece of art and conversation piece, not to mention showcasing his talent! I agree with comments about painting the paneling and adding a wood mantle surround to your fireplace. The large bluestone mantel and hearth may have to stay as it may be too difficult to remove without damaging the brick. If so, paint the brick a taupe/gray shade that blends. The attached photo shows 3/4 inch, tongue & groove knotting pine paneling that was "whitewashed" with limed oak. I don't advise staining unless you have really good, thick wood....not large panels that look like tongue & groove. Paint that type of paneling or remove it and replace with wall board. Found a photo example of a mounted boat model....general idea.
January 24, 2013 at 1:34PM     
leneh
I think you can have the wall like it is if you want to, but then you have to Get the rest of the room more light. Your floor should be change. I think and in my head it looks cool if you keep the wall and do the rest og the room in light colours:)
I dont have any pictures, but on the photo i show you, you can see what i mean with the wall:)
January 24, 2013 at 1:54PM     
Walter Frazier
Think twice about painting the brick. Definitely clean the brick and replacing the screen will help.
January 24, 2013 at 2:11PM     
ConnieQ
Thanks SO much, everyone! I really appreciate your input! And, I am sharing your responses with my husband, especially in regard to his wood boats! The wood paneling is a higher end product, but still not a thick wood and sounds like nothing is behind it when we tap on the walls. If we do paint it, I don't think I'd mind the vertical lines of the paneling still showing, in my mind it might give it a cottage look. We've looked at products online that can be used to stain bricks and lighten their color to offwhite. The cost seems to be about the same as refacing though, which in the end, I think would look better. (attaching a pic of the style I like) I agree that the fireplace needs a more substantial mantel. The one it has is a long, narrow piece of some kind of stone, maybe granite? Perhaps my husband could encase the current stone mantel with a nice wood mantel. I agree with you, tinksama, about the room needing to speak to the color of the stone/slate on the hearth; green/gray. I am drawn to teal, turquoise, gray, soft yellow,coral, lime green. Thanks for sharing your pics of your fireplace, tinksama, we're thinking we'd like the tv in a corner wall to left of fireplace...similar to the Houzz idea attached.

carole, loved your pics! did you do the artwork, the paintings? I also loved seeing your living room. The rock on the walls is beautiful. so rustic and charming! I like your idea of waiting to see what happens when furniture is moved and changed, before jumping in with painting the walls...and maybe not painting all the walls. We have a guy here now who is interested in taking away the fish tanks...so hopefully, we can move forward with improving the room! YAY!

As far as the floor goes, it is a product called Torginol. It is original to the home and VERY durable. So, for now, I think changing out the current shag area rug for a larger non-shag area rug makes sense. Especially if we decide not to paint the wood paneling, I would want to keep the floor a light color and not wood. The Torginol in that room is yellow with brown flecks...reminds me of beach sand. :)

lenah, I like your idea of keeping the room light, if the walls remain dark. I'm keeping that in mind as I shop for furniture.
January 24, 2013 at 5:19PM     
sacapuntaslapioz
ConnieQ, i think if you carefully edit the house you could end up with a stunning house in midcentury style. this is what I would do:
1.- remove the fan.
2.- leave the fireplace alone. I love the wood and brick together. leave the wood in that wall
3.- remove the wood in the walls with the doors. (if not in budget then paint it.
5.- take everything out of the room. I mean all, fixtures, furniture, pictures, window treatments, carpet. the time to do this would be when you get your sectional.
6.- one thing at a time, get furniture in and assess. First get the sectional. then the furniture that will house the TV.
7.- any of the little side tables that comes back in will have to be painted in the same color to unify them.
8.- keep walls spare and knick-knacks grouped in 1 selected place.
9.- hang all pictures in a tight group
10.- paint the room
11.- buy a carpet o clean and bring back the shag ;-)

houzz=Global Living / Bluefish Home - Showroom][houzz=My little apartment][houzz=Living Room Built Ins][houzz=Designer Goes Retro][houzz=Laurelhurst House][houzz=Carmel Mid-Century LEED 1][houzz=Carmel Mid-Century LEED 2][houzz=Mountain Cabin][houzz=Sitting room in 1958 Irwin Stein Home][houzz=Mercer Island - Midcentury Modern][houzz=Contemporary Living Room][houzz=William Hefner Architecture Interiors & Landscape][houzz=Farmhouse Living Room]
POST PICTURES AS YOU GO.
January 24, 2013 at 5:45PM        Thanked by ConnieQ
PRO
Promethean Remodeling, LLC
Ditch the paneling and perhaps integrate some shelving to create a family use. Paint the brick or go over it with cuture stone veneer or simple stone surround
January 24, 2013 at 5:58PM     
susie77q
I would white wash or completely paint out the brick and the panelling. It would look like a sea side cottage back home! If the Mantle top is wood, tape it off and try to keep it natural, put of boat on top of that fireplace! Avoid murals they lose their charm quickly...find some nice rope, buoys, anything nautical that you can lean against the fireplace. Love to see some after shots when you do something!
January 24, 2013 at 6:25PM     
ConnieQ
Thanks, susie77q, for your ideas!
January 24, 2013 at 6:46PM     
ConnieQ
Sacapuntaslapioz, thanks for your thoughtful comments. I think I've already selected some of the pics you shared in my Houzz ideabook! So, we must be thinking along the same lines!

1. remove the fan. We don't really ever use it anyway...but, what type of light fixture do you think you'd replace it with? Something flush mount I'm assuming, since the ceiling is only 7.5 ft.
Here's one I pinned to my TV ROOM board on pinterest...
January 24, 2013 at 7:39PM     
ConnieQ
Promethean Remodeling, LLC, thanks for your help! I like the photos you attached for ideas.
January 24, 2013 at 7:56PM   
PRO
Promethean Remodeling, LLC
Something else I have done in the past is to use white cement and plaster over the brick and then scratch off the cement to reveal the brick beneath while leaving just enough white cement to give it a weathered old-world look. It lightens up the fireplace without making it look too formal. Attached is a fireplace using grey cement.
January 25, 2013 at 4:43AM     
carole
thank you,the paintings were made by a dear friend,unfortunatly he is no longer with us,but i am sure this kind of art is being done by others too.the walls in our cottage are mostly like that downstairs,some parts were so bad we had to fill and paint off-white,then i decided the fireplace could be done like that too,it is a late 17th century small farmhouse,we have tried to keep as much of the original features,it is by no means finished but the livingroom is almost as we would like it.now...back to your house,you are right the floor does have that beach feel and with the theme and the colors you are picking in the ideabook it is coming together!!hope the guy took the tanks away today!!bet you cant wait to get started...
January 25, 2013 at 5:40AM     
carole
on www.fineartamerica i found this artist,very similar its called rocks of grosmorne by karen richardson
January 25, 2013 at 4:28PM     
dmbrenker
I had a den with nice paneling. I used kilz and then painted the wall. Kept up beautifully. I have done the same with brick too.
January 25, 2013 at 4:35PM     
ConnieQ
Carole, I checked out Karen Richardson. LOVE her work! One painting of hers would be perfect for our room. I'll attach it here, so you can see what I mean.
January 26, 2013 at 11:48PM     
carole
beautifull choice,Connie,love it. .....are the fishtanks gone???????
January 27, 2013 at 1:17AM   
ConnieQ
One fishtank gone, one to go! It sure makes the room look and feel larger already!
January 27, 2013 at 10:28AM     
carole
it certainly does!!!!and is the rug out too?really shows the room much better now,thanks for the pict of the fireplace in more detail,it looks great " less is more" !!the stonework is well done,maybe not get the paintbrush out just yet!!either of the walls is just right for the painting!!;-)nice to see it changing,pls keep us updated...
January 27, 2013 at 11:07AM     
PRO
Oak-Land Custom Fireplaces, Inc.
I wouldn't paint the brick that basically ruins the brick, because you'll never be able to remove the paint. i would take off the brick and put up a casual slate and rustic mantle. Like this:http://www.oaklandfireplaces.com/images/480_slate-cute.jpg
January 27, 2013 at 11:29AM   
ConnieQ
Oak-Land Custom Fireplaces, Inc., we actually brought home some samples of slate tile (very similar to your photo) from Home Depot and I like the look a lot. The slate blends well with the gray-green stone on the hearth.
January 27, 2013 at 12:39PM     
ConnieQ
Here is a photo I took in Whistler, B.C. Canada of a slate fireplace using the same slate tile I found at Home Depot...my only concern with slate tile is it could make the room darker than just keeping the brick.
January 27, 2013 at 9:15PM     
ConnieQ
Carole, currently the bright shag rug is rolled up and tucked behind the chairs...we'll see if it finds it's way back into the center of the room, or finds a new owner!!!
January 27, 2013 at 10:09PM   
Susanna
My two cents worth: It is more affordable than I thought to put stone veneer over a brick fireplace. Many stone options to choose from too. I had a hard time choosing! One afternoon and it was done. Something to consider.

Your husband's boats are stunningly beautiful! I would take advantage of his artistry and build the units mentioned earlier on both sides of the fireplace. Mantel too.

I would suggest taking the color palette from your boat picture. The trees, that strip of gorgeous water blue, the gray etc. It works with the stone pictures you like. I have to say, I have never liked painted paneling because you always know it's painted paneling. I vote keep it as is or drywall.
January 27, 2013 at 10:59PM     
Judit
please remove that paneling your room looks like a wooden box, it will make a HUGE difference
January 28, 2013 at 12:20AM   
PRO
Promethium, like this? This is a picture of one of our fireplaces in our showroom.
January 28, 2013 at 9:35AM   
PRO
If you're looking for light, I would go with a cluttered stacks tone.....but whatever you do, best to take the brick down. Rather than covering it. For our crew it's two hours.....and most of that time is spent hanging up plastic to keep dust from spreading, and hauling it to the truck to dump, just make sure whoever knows what they are doing. The row if bricks directly above opening are there for a purpose.
January 28, 2013 at 9:39AM   
ConnieQ
I'm not sure it would work to remove the bricks. Husband says the bricks ARE the fireplace...removing them would surely be a HUGE mess.
January 28, 2013 at 11:14AM   
carole
no need to take it out,how about the idea you posted for someonelse's dilemma(cant remember the name) and put on a mantel??
January 28, 2013 at 12:12PM     
carole
hi connieQ,how are the changes coming along????is the other fishtank gone too???
February 21, 2013 at 1:58PM   
ConnieQ
Hi Carole, not much has changed. The other fishtank is still here. We moved it to the other side of the fireplace and then moved the tv into the left side corner. Just that little change already feels better to me. I'm still unsure about painting the paneling, and refacing the fireplace. The only thing I'm sure about is I want a comfortable couch (or sectional), and a swivel recliner. I'll be sure to add more pics as things change. Thanks for asking!
February 21, 2013 at 6:17PM   
carole
youre welcome!!!!could not stop myself!!!more pict.............
February 22, 2013 at 5:13AM   
aebj
Have you considered painting the ceiling white? I think that would brighten your room quite a bit. I like the look of painted panelling as it gives texture to your walls. Something to consider.
February 22, 2013 at 5:38AM   
ConnieQ
aebj, the ceiling is white. I just need to muster some nerve and paint the walls. It took awhile before my husband would consent to painting them...now that he has, it's me that's afraid! :)
February 22, 2013 at 8:07AM     
amh57
Go for it, you won't regret it! Our dark family room came to life when we painted our paneled walls. The vertical lines give it texture, and now I'm glad we didn't tear it all out and drywall.
February 22, 2013 at 8:22AM     
blrussell
I have painted paneling in the past...I liked the look. It was in a lake region vacation home. It does look cottage/country style when done so if you are looking for something more formal it will
Need to come down.
February 22, 2013 at 8:24AM     
aebj
We just painted our 1970s house's "white" ceiling. The fresh coat of paint really brightened up the whole house. Over the years, the ceiling gets kinda dingy and you (general everybody "you") don't even notice or realize it. We have the popcorn ceiling, so the paint had to be sprayed instead of brushed or rolled on. But, to make it more modern, you could consider scraping it if yours is the same.
February 22, 2013 at 9:47AM   
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
I'd be careful the fire in the firplace didn't throw out a hot spark and start you off with everything new! Would hate for that to happen. Start shopping!!
February 22, 2013 at 9:52AM   
studio10001
Connie , you posted a photo early on that may help solve some questions that came up after. The pic of the corner TV cabinet included a good solution to overhead lighting in a low ceiling, dark room. Recessed light, coupled with mid-century standing lamps will cost a bit ,but will pay you back tenfold in the long run. Also, the scale of the fireplace seems at odds with the room, so I don't think you should feel scared to re-color anything/everything to get it back under control. That said, if you are painting the panelling you might start with JUST the fireplace wall as a test - poor results can be hidden by the shelving area you are planning in front of it, or by refacing the entire area, again, as shown in your photo. If you have the budget, What would you think about using your slate tile choice across that whole wall as well as the fireplace, and then painting the other three walls to complement? It would neutralize the odd dimensions of the fireplace, add texture, and draw the torginal back into the design( all hail the Torgenal!), as well as lighten the room overall if you can't afford to rewire the overhead area. I think your painting choice is charming - as is your photo of hubby's handiwork. (kinkos will blow up photos to 36". If you have a shot that would look well in black and white, you can attach it to a backer and frame in reclaimed/ driftwood). I think once you have resolved the wall issues, you will quickly see that you have moved beyond the shag - or at least that particular shag. Someone on Cragslist will be thrilled to buy it!
February 22, 2013 at 11:16AM     
amh57
I don't think painted paneling has to look "country" if you use a contemporary color and furnish accordingly. Our family room is "transitional" with a contemporary feel. Very comfortable, but not the least bit cottage/country. I wish I could include a picture, but don't have the camera or skill.
February 22, 2013 at 11:57AM     
Johanne True
painting the fireplace that is dated and add paint to the panel and it would add drama and it will update your area and clear the area of non needed items to make the room seem spacious
February 22, 2013 at 12:12PM   
ConnieQ
Thanks, carole for the pics of possible furniture! I have some of the same pieces on the "TV ROOM" board on Pinterest! There's one couch or sectional I have my eye on at a local Macy's. The Kenton. I'll see if I can attach a photo to show you.

aebj~all the ceilings in this house are thankfully NOT the popcorn style. My in-laws were smart when they had the house built in 1965 and instead have a textured ceiling. When/if I decide to paint the paneling, I may decide to go ahead and paint the ceiling too. Right now, it's a bright white, so not at the top of my list of re-do's! :)

Greg the PAINT-IT! guy~it's been a process to change out anything in this house since it was my husband's parents' house and my husband has sentimental attachment to everything....yes, even the bright flame shag rug and those old recliners! ugh. But, believe me, I have spent many hours looking at furniture, rugs, light fixtures, window treatments, and how-to paint wood paneling sites!!! Sometimes I wish I could just hire Candice Olsen from HGTV to come over and take over! :)
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/kenton-fabric-sofa-88w-x-38d-x-33h?ID=683437&CategoryID=29391&RVI=PDP_6
http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/fud/3613522597.html
http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/fud/3633853043.html
http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/blair-leather-sofa-86w-x-38d-x-36h?ID=255918&CategoryID=29391&panel=furniture_4_product-pool

I like the mid century type furniture, but it's not always as comfortable as the more cushioned arm furniture.
February 22, 2013 at 12:26PM     
sooneralumom
Painted paneling and fireplace (keep stone slab on mantel) use cues from the beautiful wood of your husband's boat. A coastal cottage look can look fresh and up to date without looking "country".
February 22, 2013 at 12:46PM     
Kevin Retired Decorator
I agree with the majority paint the paneling because it's not high quality. The painted paneling with the groves in it could go nautical , traditional or industrial in looks. I would stain the brick a light grey. There are concrete stains on the market. They leave more texture once finished than paint. I would then add a weathered gray meaty wood mantle. I would look for seating that has legs on the sofa or chairs so you visually show off the floor space that would make the ceilings look higher and the room bigger. Grays and Aquas would be beautiful with a touch of lemon yellow. Your husband could build a boat book case for the room and show his talents to hold the aquarium. I would put down a hand scraped walnut color faux wood laminate down on the floors with a nice large area rug to anchor the seating area. I would use recessed lighting if possible due to the low ceilings, or small halogen track lighting in white to match the ceiling. Have fun !
February 22, 2013 at 1:05PM     
handymam
I might be getting in on this late, but here's my two cents!

Since it was your husband's parent's house and he is resistant to change...Paint the panaeling. If you don't like it, you can rip it out later. I painted ours when my husband was out of town once. Without telling him. He was pleasantly surprised! Paint it something neutral until you know what else you are going to do it there. Now when he has to go to a conference or something, he always wants to know what project I am doing while he is gone. (I have done this about 5 times to him...)

Sometimes, if you go with the more boxy looking as opposed to rounded looking, you could still have that mid-century look for your couches. (Like carole posted above.)
February 22, 2013 at 1:13PM     
carole
wow,loads new comments!!!i really like the margereth,the color is BEACHY!!and i think that you will be able to mix that with lots of different colors over the years!!had a white leathersofa for many years,i find leather cold,but my husband never had the problem,so that is just personal preference!!!and you have a point the new furniture is not always as comfy,it can be more about the look than comfort!!
February 22, 2013 at 2:23PM     
libradesigneye
The boat model over the mantel is a great idea. You may be able to put hangers on one long wall to hang your gorgeous kayak inside in off season.

For the sophisticated cottage look you seek, definitely paint paneling and split brick but not stone hearth or mantel of gray stone. Your split brick is so gorgeous a profile both for cottage and for mid-century - wait and live with it painted a while before you jump to some other stone profile. It will grow on you when the colors are right in here. Here are some color ideas to achieve the look you love.

#1. Try painting your walls a greige with a green undertone to pick up the tones in the mantel and hearthstone (will look really expensive / is really expensive today / will be amazing once room is painted properly). This is not really a gray but a really amazing neutral that will advance your favorite color scheme a lot. http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6170-techno-gray/

#2. Try painting the brick and any doors/trim a beige-y / creamy off-white. http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7010-white-duck/
That kind of white will play off the other tones better than a stark white and echo your floor well since you want to keep it. They have special formulation paints for masonry when you buy paint for the brick so it can breathe - otherwise the latex will peel.

#3. Try this color for the built in shelf / magazine rack - wood painted out in the same color family but two shades deeper to coordinate - resemble high-end painted furniture color. See http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6172-hardware/ or you can go off white here, but it won't be as beachfront / cottage appropriate - more of a traditional home look to paint this like trim.

This paint work will instantly produce a classic, sophisticated backdrop for the cottage room you want. All the other natural toned wood furnishings you use will look amazing in your room.

Bring a sample pots of these colors home and paint some big pieces of cardboard and move around the room to see how it plays off the mantle stone and the light. Color is my thing - but you have to see it in your light. Put something in your favorite aqua blue and white next to it and see it all sing!
You will have to use a primer on all the wood until it doesn't bleed through any more - then put two coats of eggshell on the walls, and high gloss on the trim/ doors/ built-ins/fireplace brick / but you will love the result.

Wait and watch and save your $ for real stone veneer on your fireplace if you don't love them painted. I would spend that instead looking at the vinyl wood plank products that look like whitewashed wood floors - they look expensive but they are not - it will update and warm but wear as well as your old sheet vinyl and you could put it all through the house for continuity / more cottage / beach cottage.

In summer you can take out the fireplace insert / door that has holes and paint out the brass with high heat black spray paint after you mask the glass. You may be able to use glass adhesive / silicon to fix it so you don't need the tape. You may also be able to get a flue retrofitted that you can close to help the problem.
February 22, 2013 at 6:22PM     
ConnieQ
libradesigneye~wow, thank you for your thoughtful suggestions. I like your paint color ideas...and great idea to paint samples on cardboard! My husband & are leaning towards going ahead with painting the paneling and staining the brick, then if we don't like it, eventually, removing both. I love the idea of using grey. My only concern is if it would be too gloomy as we see a lot of grey skies up here in the Pacific Northwest! But, I'm sure I could still liven things up with accent pillows, rug, etc.

The floor is not sheet vinyl, but a product called Torginol. http://torginol.com/ It's lasted 48 years and still looks new! Never need to wax it, always looks shiny...so, I'm fine keeping it and just finding a more suitable area rug.

My husband closed off the chimney so I've now removed the blue painter's tape on the fireplace screen! :) When we can, we plan to purchase a damper to be able to shut off the chimney and prevent heat loss. Ideally, we'd love to bring gas into the room and have a gas insert...less messy and more heat efficient.

I like the idea of hanging my kayak, but I'm pretty sure it is too long for any of the walls. I have thought of perhaps hanging a pair of weathered oars or paddles. I also have a large (2.5' x 4.5') Puget Sound water ways map. It is sand and pale blue in color. I'd like to have it framed and up on one wall.
February 22, 2013 at 9:41PM     
libradesigneye
Glad this painted a picture you can envision. Know what you mean about gloom and rain, but know that these earth tone based greiges actually warm a space - trust nature to make you feel cozy! Show us your updates!
February 23, 2013 at 1:46AM   
carole
hi ConnieQ,just gone past all the comments and pict again,and the margereth is very much like the style pict you send about 4 weeks ago!!i still think you should not paint or rebrick anything just yet,get the new furniture and i think you will have got a trendy pad!! painted the inside of my chimney just before x-mas and its already showing wear,its the heat that causes the problem,so i think i having given myself more work every season to keep it looking nice,now your stonework,if i had that i would NOT paint it,but as always it is great to see lots of people coming up with new ideas and i am really curious to see your tv-room as it is coming along....
February 23, 2013 at 1:47AM     
hoot_owl
FYI, I painted my paneling recently and love how it turned out..
February 23, 2013 at 7:31AM     
ConnieQ
hoot_owl~yes, it does look nice! I think you started out with much nicer wood paneling than we have.
February 23, 2013 at 8:19AM     
PRO
Toni Sabatino
I think hoot_owls's paneling looks great, too. Here is some more painted knotty pine from one of my jobs.
February 23, 2013 at 12:21PM     
ConnieQ
Toni Sabatino~your painted paneling looks great...especially love the wood boat mosaics! Thanks for sharing!
February 23, 2013 at 1:43PM     
PRO
Toni Sabatino
Connie Q- Thanks so much!
February 23, 2013 at 1:54PM   
PRO
Toni Sabatino
Connie....here is a link about the remodel of that room. http://tonisab.com/2012/02/01/kitchen-for-a-sunny-seaside-retreat/ We also remodeled the dining and living rooms. We used some mid century modern teak furniture she was ready to throw out and had it reupholstered and added some bookshelves with nautical books and model boats...it all really looks great....have fun with your project.....
February 23, 2013 at 2:00PM     
ConnieQ
Toni~just looked at your sunny seaside retreat remodel...good inspiration there for me!! Thank you!
February 23, 2013 at 2:13PM     
PRO
Toni Sabatino
You are welcome...
February 23, 2013 at 3:00PM   
carole
hi ConnieQ,its been a while, wondered how you are??
April 28, 2013 at 2:02PM   
PRO
Murals by Katya Kompaneyets
What about painting the wood panels light color? I've done it in one house, using light mint color and it looked great.
April 28, 2013 at 7:51PM   
alleykat6093
The paneling in our family room is painted a light tan color. I love the way it looks. If you can't remove the paneling then paint it a light color. It will make a huge difference in your room. I think you should get new doors for the fireplace but I would not paint the brick.
April 28, 2013 at 8:10PM   
ConnieQ
Hi Carole, thanks for checking in! Two months later and not much has changed. I bought a can of Kilz oil based primer for the wood paneling, but haven't started painting yet. Still having doubts about painting it. I am narrowing the search for a swivel recliner chair and comfy couch. I'm hoping I can make the room feel better with new furniture and lighting and rug! I promise I will update with photos as soon as something happens! How are things for you?
April 28, 2013 at 8:47PM   
ConnieQ
Thanks also to Katya and Alleykat for your comments! If I do end up painting, it will be a light color. Then, either paint the trim or leave it...it's mahogany. My long range goal is to have a gas insert for the inefficient fireplace!
April 28, 2013 at 8:50PM   
PRO
Murals by Katya Kompaneyets
Connie, I can also do a painting of water and boats, which will bring more space and a feeling of outdoors to the space.
April 28, 2013 at 10:34PM   
carole
i think you are right in waiting with painting the panelling untill you have found the furniture you want,here mostly the same,not much work has been done inside,have painted but am not happy with the color. ;-(... and now that its spring the garden takes up a lot of time and energie,but nice to get out!!
April 29, 2013 at 2:48AM     
PRO
Go Nautical Collections
Here another idea decorating with wooden oars, large selection of decorative wooden oars http://gonautical.com/wooden-oars-c-2_99.html
April 29, 2013 at 6:01AM     
ConnieQ
So, it's been a year since I began this discussion. What has changed? Both turtle tanks and stands are gone. The TV has been moved to the left corner. We never did try the bookshelf on the right side of the fireplace because I decided I liked the less cluttered look in that corner. I bought a can of kilz primer for the paneled walls. Then, chickened out, and took it back to Home Depot. We recently found a cognac leather sofa and loveseat on Craigslist. The door had to be removed to get them into the room! The loveseat might go to our niece...leaving us with the sofa and one or possibly two swivel-rocker-recliners. I had thought I wanted a mid-century modern sofa, but after sitting on them, decided they really aren't that comfortable. I still want to honor my husband's boat making skills. He has said he will build a wood strip coffee table for the room, and perhaps a skin-on-frame row boat model! We also have a HUGE nautical map of the area we live in and would like to frame it and have it up on the wall. http://www.sobaymaps.com/shop/puget-sound-san-juan-chart/
January 29, 2014 at 2:04PM     
Janelle
Love it! Yes, paint he walls and use the rug..
January 29, 2014 at 2:07PM      Thanked by ConnieQ
Janelle
Our living room was carpeted, wood panel walls... This is it painted. Just do it:)
January 29, 2014 at 6:13PM     
ConnieQ
Yes, I agree...painting the paneling will definitely brighten up the room. My daughter keeps threatening to do it while I'm out of the house sometime! ha!
January 29, 2014 at 6:24PM   
Janelle
Ha ha yes... You guys would love it.. With your style I'd go white. Not creme.. White kilz it and then paint :)
January 29, 2014 at 6:26PM     
mainstreetschool
Now that you have the comfy sofa, give the love seat to your niece and find a couple mid-century chairs to match a bright color in the rug. There are many cool mid-century accent pieces out there to show that style. I can see orange vases on the mantle and hearth. You need larger art above the mantle. Perhaps string are in the colors of the rug. (Think The Brady Bunch) Hang the framed map on another wall where people could get a close look at it. Window coverings could pick up the rug colors. Have fun finishing your room. The boat model and c
Handmade coffee table will go with this look.
January 29, 2014 at 6:32PM     
carole
looks great already!!like the new sofas and the rug together ;-)
January 30, 2014 at 12:18AM      Thanked by ConnieQ
ConnieQ
Thanks, Carole...it's not done yet...but, I'm liking it more and more.
January 30, 2014 at 12:20AM     
carole
its never ending,but thats part of the fun,i think....just look how much your room has changed ;-) and i still like the panelling,are you sure you want to paint it?
January 30, 2014 at 12:35AM     
ConnieQ
My daughter is expecting a baby boy this Spring, so I'm hoping to get things kind of ready by then.
January 30, 2014 at 12:42AM     
ConnieQ
No....hahaha...I am not sure about painting the paneling...I am very indecisive about that.
January 30, 2014 at 12:44AM   
carole
congratulations x
January 30, 2014 at 12:56AM        Thanked by ConnieQ
ConnieQ
Accurato - I love those rocking chairs!! So Cute!
January 31, 2014 at 1:55PM   
jamiemichaels
Wow, You have a lot of great information here. You are getting professional interior designer's input, gratis, for free . . . nice. The place has great bones and we all would agree on several points. The most important is to lighten the paneling and replacing that ugly ceiling fan. The vintage carpet could be cool if it wasn't harboring critters/poisons (you don't want to know). Google I.A.Q. before you paint or do any major changes like flooring. Tearing out the paneling should not be an option. The mess and rehab of the walls underneath would be a waste of resources. A wash (not necessarily white) would keep the interest of the wood grain without the overwhelming dark CAVE LIKE feeling. Your husband could work some magic in the room and I would love to help with some outside the box ideas. My good friend here in Alameda hand-makes kayaks and paddles the centuries old way without any glues or modern fasteners. My company is simpleFLOORS Oakland. I'm an Interior Designer that specializes in "Healthy Homes" with over 30 years experience. Lighting and some modern touches will make this room sparkle without taking away from the great MC look. Jamie
February 6, 2014 at 4:26PM      Thanked by ConnieQ
jamiemichaels
I didn't see that it's a rug not wall to wall carpet so if it's wool it's worth cleaning naturally. There are some great rugs out there though, it is a major point of interest and setting the whole color palette for the room so . . .
February 6, 2014 at 4:34PM   
jamiemichaels
One idea, the most comfortable recliner in the world is from Norway. A company called Ekornes. They make the streamlined Stressless recliner. The ergonomics are unparalleled
and the styles haven't changed much in the last half century. REAL MC Modern. They are available from a small store in Alameda called Danish Interiors .net. Expensive but well worth it. I gave one to life-long friend for a wedding present 30 years ago, still their favorite piece of furniture today. Open and airy the style is perfect for 'lightening' a rooms look. You might get lucky on CL looking for a used one. Many sizes so find the one or two that fits you exactly. Just one man's opinion.
February 6, 2014 at 4:49PM   
ConnieQ
Thank you, jamiemichaels for taking the time to post your comments on our TV room project! I have seen the Ekornes Stressless chairs. I like the look of them, but for grandbaby rocking comfort, I will choose a different swivel rocker recliner. Also, I used to agree with you about the ceiling fan, until last summer...between the heat wave and my hot flashes, I developed a new appreciation for that "ugly" ceiling fan. ;)
February 7, 2014 at 3:37PM     
ConnieQ
The area rug is a high quality wool shag. It has been professionally cleaned and still looks nice, so it stays for now.
February 7, 2014 at 3:38PM     
jamiemichaels
The ceiling fan is a great invention and has come a long way since the 60's. They can be reasonably priced, with much more efficiency than older ones. It costs you pennies a day to cool you directly. Ceiling fans are an electrical appliance. You wouldn't have a 50 year old refrigerator in your home, safety. One of the things that a warm and comfy room should have is a well thought out lighting plan. Soft ambient lighting, up lighting, splash lighting, task lighting and in none of these are there light bulbs staring at you from above your head in the middle of the room. Look at the movie "Casablanca" sexy, cooling ceiling fans overhead not a one has light bulbs hanging in your face.
I am not very smart about a lot of things in life but home furnishings and interior design, is where I'm an idiot savant. My grandmother and mother owned furniture stores starting in the thirties and they liked to say, " if a piece of furniture does two things it doesn't do either of them well". Case in point, there is no "sleeper" sofa that sits like a fine sofa and we know how they sleep ! Love to talk to you on the phone when you have moment,
February 7, 2014 at 4:08PM   
jamiemichaels
That being said your fan is not as ugly as many others. This room should be all about comfort. The look and lighting make it more comfortable for the users. 70% of the time you are in this room there will be no babies there. COMFORT. I said the Stressless was the most comfortable recliner on the planet, it swivels but is comfortable to sit in, COMFORT. There is room for a rocker, also. A nice rocker that doesn't recline. Lower back support and seat depth on both of these chairs is imperative.

How tall are you ? Are your feet flat on the floor ? I know that the Stressless is expensive but if you sat up in "the one that fits you" for thirty minutes then compare it to any "rocker/ recliner/swivel" you find. With your eyes closed feel the "all over" support - lower back, leg, shoulders, neck and head support as you sit up or recline.

One more thing, have you ever owned a chair that after sitting for less than an hour your back is in pain ? Constantly adjusting trying to get comfortable. Most furniture does not take ergonomics seriously. Just one man's opinion. Style is important but remember that as my mom used to say, "buy art with your eyes buy a chair with your backside".
February 7, 2014 at 4:31PM   
jamiemichaels
I love the idea of kayak or row boat coffee table. Most important thing is not to fill up the floor space with a big table. My opinion is make a very small (outside measures 48 to 52 long, no more than 32 inches deep). My thoughts would be to have a half finished kayak or row boat that is not as bulky and shows the hand work inside and out, show the frame work inside with a stretched leather top. Glass is so not cool with a little one , shows dust, finger prints etc.
February 7, 2014 at 4:43PM   
jamiemichaels
Sorry about the Stressless spouting just be careful about comfort. Those two chairs you are about to buy are the MOST important purchases in your home except your mattress and some good shoes. Lol
February 7, 2014 at 4:46PM     
jamiemichaels
I reread my comments and it sounded preachy, sorry. It is a very cool room and has great potential. Love to see pictures of the canoe coffee table when your hubbie does that.
February 8, 2014 at 9:15AM     
jamiemichaels
libradesigneye had some great color choices and overall a great sense of the look. I was sure you should paint the paneling now I'm rethinking that. The creamy green would look amazing but . . . Please if you do paint be aware of the VOC's is many paints. Very strong outgassing for decades to come. No VOC's paint are available. I had made a the frame work only of a kayak model that was only 4 feet long. Showing the skeleton of the vessel with a spot light on it hung from the ceiling right over the mantle the shadows of the frame casting a cool design on the ceiling.
February 8, 2014 at 9:34AM   
ConnieQ
Jamiemichaels, thanks again for your interest and suggestions. I agree that the room has great potential. Right now, the changes are contingent on the cost of those changes. So, progress is rather slow. The ceiling fan was purchased just a few years ago (by my husband, not me)...it has the option of just running the fan, and not the overhead light. Perhaps, at some point I may replace it with a more classy fan with no light, but it is nice to be able to flick on the light when needing to cross through that room in the evening. We have a store nearby that carries the Stressless chairs, I'll go sit in them again and give them some more thought. I agree on the VOC's in paint! Don't want to add any harmful ingredients to our home, especially as we had a lot of work done last summer to tighten up the leaks, and added insulation to upper and lower portions. Also, great minds think alike! Your idea of the kayak frame work model with light behind it for the wall is something my husband has also thought about!
February 8, 2014 at 10:32AM     
Cristina Rivera
Connie I love the orange rug! Did you sell it? I am interested. :) riveras831@cox.net
March 16, 2014 at 7:18PM   
repowers2
Just wanted to chime in that it's great that you didn't paint the fireplace - that would have been a huge mistake IMO. Brick and mortar are "natural" materials - akin to stone in their texture - and they don't "want" to be painted. Painting brick can't be undone, and will never look as good as the brick in its raw state. Even the most well-done paint job over brick looks like it's trying to hide something. It's a beautiful fireplace, with lovely Roman brick, and the room should respond to it positively! The changes you did make look great and really celebrate the room's style.

I'd say the same thing to a lesser degree about painting the wood paneling. Wood can certainly be painted, especially if it's cheaper wood, but it's not the ideal state. If you really want a painted wall surface or brighter room, plain old drywall's the way to go - it's made to be painted.
June 25, 2014 at 8:14AM      Thanked by ConnieQ
ConnieQ
Christina Rivera, no we did not sell the rug...still have it on the floor. I guess I'm still "Stuck in the 60's"! Ha!
June 25, 2014 at 9:56AM   
ConnieQ
Here's a photo to show you the room as it is right now...the large framed picture above the fireplace looks much better than the smaller framed art I had before. I bought the "new" one for $15 at a flea market! It's a bit "moody", but it has 2 boats and matches the color of the hearth. Oh, and the coffee table came from Goodwill for $4.99! It needs sanding and a coat of finish, but I like the design.
June 25, 2014 at 5:13PM     
Cristina Rivera
Remember me if you want to sell that carpet Connie! My whole house is orange practically. When I was little I had an orange and yellow carpet. I am going back to my childhood. Let me know. My phone number is 619-808-2992 Thanks!
June 26, 2014 at 7:52AM     
Cristina Rivera
Ps the painting is cute! Yay for Goodwill!
June 26, 2014 at 7:54AM