Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Can I keep this mirror????
carolfiorello
January 23, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I bought this mirror because the colors will work with my furniture so far. My concern is that it will limit my choices for rugs and pictures, etc. HELP!! Do I keep it or bring it back??
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
anitajoyce
Can you post a picture of the whole room? Will it go above the fireplace?
January 23, 2013 at 5:16PM   
carolfiorello
Room not close to done but will post sofa, chair, coffee table ( ordered end table to match)and fabric for chair I am having made
January 23, 2013 at 5:24PM   
carolfiorello
Yes above fireplace.
January 23, 2013 at 5:25PM   
carole
this is a great mirror,you can mix it with any style yoy like!!but like anitajoyce i would like to see more,do you have any more pictures?
January 23, 2013 at 5:30PM   
dmerrill
Yes, horizontal above fireplace, vertical and you're going to need some serious sconce action or a lot of clutter to make that work... too small above sofa unless in a grouping. You did well choosing the right size though! Another option? Looks like you have a round end table - with the rounded edges of the furniture you may want a round mirror above the fireplace to echo. Up to you, but if in doubt you could try a round mirror above the mantle and see what you think.
January 23, 2013 at 5:33PM     
lionnessone
If you love this mirror then keep it.
January 23, 2013 at 5:36PM     
dmerrill
I agree, if you love it - keep it and it will work no matter what! The color and size are right for the room!
January 23, 2013 at 5:38PM   
carolfiorello
Waiting for chair and end table. Would like a patterned rug but not sure with the mirror which would go above fireplace. Took it down to return then remembered Houzz!!
January 23, 2013 at 5:46PM   
anitajoyce
Yes! the mirror will work with the furniture. It will be a nice accent piece above the fireplace.
January 23, 2013 at 5:58PM   
carolfiorello
Can I put a patterned rug ,pictures with it and still have it work. I get nervous mixing
January 23, 2013 at 6:01PM   
carolfiorello
The TV will be beside fireplace, nowhere else to put it. So should I keep mirror horizontal??? And what else on mantel with it?
January 23, 2013 at 6:05PM   
shoncey
I love your color scheme... I was wondering about balance. The fire place with the high mirror flanked by the television and the slim side table. Seems awkward and unsettling to the eye.
I hope I don't sound critical. I really love your furniture.
January 23, 2013 at 8:02PM   
njgardengal
Love the mirror! Did you paint the walls to pick up a color from the mirror or serendipitously find the mirror after painting?
January 23, 2013 at 8:09PM   
PRO
Staged for Perfection
Keep that mirror and go back to where you bought it and ask them to help you finish up your look!
January 23, 2013 at 8:10PM     
carolfiorello
Table is just there because needed to put a lamp in room. Waiting for more furniture to be delivered and making do with whatever we have. Chair may go there not sure. Opened to ideas. Have lots more to buy. Black TV console coming soon. Thank you
January 23, 2013 at 8:12PM   
carolfiorello
Found mirror after I painted. Any suggestions for lamp to go on copper and glass end table. Matches picture if coffee table
January 23, 2013 at 8:14PM   
pawsandpurrs
I would do a flat screen over the mantel,pick up colors from mirror for accessories,put mirror over couch,which is very nice.lose sm table else where and use a lg glass vase with, a lighted branch
They have out now and battery operated candles on either side of mirror,like the paint on walls too!
January 24, 2013 at 3:25AM   
Cynthia Marasco
put the tv over the mantel, enclose it in a cabinet and make the mirror part of the door on the cabinet.
January 24, 2013 at 4:01AM     
creeser
Love your mirror! I would keep it!
January 24, 2013 at 4:10AM   
carolfiorello
Like ideas but not a fan if TV's over mantels. So it has to go beside it. The new media console will put it 1/2 way up beside fireplace. Then mirror on fireplace. So should should mirror be horizontal or vertical like TV??
January 24, 2013 at 6:05AM     
srobert2
What I see here is an imbalance--the fireplace is weightier than the adjacent TV wall; I think you want to treat that area on both walls almost like a continuous arrangement....carry the theme of the mirror over to the other side...

I think horizontal for the mirror...and do some kind of a grouping with not-too-small items--maybe including a smaller framed mirror in the grouping--over the TV, picking up the colors in the mirror frame...a couple of big chunky candles on one side of the mantel and one good-size piece of pottery -- kind of weighty on the bottom--maybe a coppery finish--on the other.....not matchy pieces but related enough to carry the colors over to the adjoining wall. Take the little table with the little lamp away from the right side of the fireplace and use a floor lamp--not too skinny and delicate-looking--on the side of the fireplace. Balance it with a big firewood basket (maybe birch logs in a copper vessel) on the left of the fireplace.

I'd still like to see the TV wall-mounted; if it can't go over the fireplace, use a nice heavy console table below it and echo the tones in the fireplace. If you do that then I'd use just one smaller wall piece on either side of the TV to carry the colors over from the mirror.
January 24, 2013 at 6:20AM     
dburns2661
I love the mirror. I would hang it horizontal. My choice to accompany the mirror would be some colorful sconces. If you feel more daring I would pick up some decorative mardi gras masks to hang beside the mirror. Would make a spectacular focal point for the room.
January 24, 2013 at 6:31AM   
carolfiorello
I have a 36 inch black console coming. TV is 42 inch. Makes it 25 inches high. Mantel 54 inches high. Can I make it work with mirror or rerturn console????? I don't feel good about a lighter colored console with the rest if my furniture. My husband does not want TV hung on wall. This will put top of TV at about 64 inches beside fireplace. So hard to picture this before I bring new console home. Then back to store. ?????
January 24, 2013 at 6:39AM   
carolfiorello
I have a mask I bought in Venice, haven't figured where to put it. Is this what you're thinking?
January 24, 2013 at 6:42AM   
Melissa Jane
put the tv over the mantle, then put the mirror horizontally over the couch, add some other decorative pieces on each side of the mirror, as mentioned by others here,find a patterned rug with complementary colors and get some throw pillows to match it for the couch,Add a comfy throw blanket to one end of the couch.Don,t be afraid to mix patterns as long as the colors go well.Get some high and low lighting the area is pretty dark.
January 24, 2013 at 6:43AM   
alwaysdesigning
Personally, a rug that I love is what I pull colors from. The mirror seems very limiting, but if it complements the rest of your decor, keep it. Or use it in the hallway or bathroom. Good luck
January 24, 2013 at 6:45AM     
Melissa Jane
Also , furniture does not have to be pushed up against the wall.try "floating the couch in front of the large open space, or moving the ottomen to one side so it doesnt take up half the room.
January 24, 2013 at 6:47AM   
Melissa Jane
make sure the area rug is not too small.
January 24, 2013 at 6:48AM   
carolfiorello
Melissa Jane.... Like the ideas but I'm very short and TV over mantel is just too high for me. How do you feel about the console picture and the height sizes? Can I work it in??? If not, I don't have to pick it up at store. Been looking forever for a console
January 24, 2013 at 6:50AM     
Natalie
Hi---Love the mirror---would like to see more color in the chair fabric and/or pillows,---larger design/pattern or no pattern---paprika, raspberry, bright sweet potato color... Your color palette is muted/dull compared to the mirror. A rug with texture and subtle tone on tone color, rather than a busy pattern or several colors would be ideal because your room is open---LARGE art for walls.... Pics for inspiration...
Hope this is helpful. It's a beautiful space and your current furniture and that mirror are Great! Good Luck!
[houzz=Vienna][houzz=Living Room]
January 24, 2013 at 6:52AM     
carolfiorello
Always Designing... That is my concern, love mirror but will limit other decorating. Nowhere else to put it. It can be returned, I rather have it sit here awhile then wish I had bought it , then it's gone. The TV has to go next to fireplace. Don't want over mantel so we are hoping black console will work
January 24, 2013 at 6:56AM   
dburns2661
That is exactly the type of mask I am talking about. With the slope of your wall being higher on the left I would put the mask to the left of your mirror. On the right I would suggest small stairstep grouping of some small florals to compliment the colors in the mirror or perhaps black and white floral prints with colorful ribbons connecting the prints.
January 24, 2013 at 6:58AM   
chantelle1
The console will help give height and weight to the TV area. Rug choices are limitless. Remember that the mirror isn't a permanent fixture in the mix so you don't have to be matchy matchy to the mirror. It's an accent. Focus the rug more toward the furniture, and the surrounding light and floor coloring. I'd go lighter rather than darker. I would maybe pull the shapes off of the mirror and reflect a monochromatic design in the rug in similar shapes to bring dimension and texture to the room. The only texture going on right now is the fabric on the chair. I wouldn't go too far with too many smaller filler pieces on and surrounding things. Doesn't seem like the wall space is all that much except behind the couch. So I'd stick with larger pieces to fill the wall space accordingly. Definitely mirror over the Mantle horizontal with nothing around it. The wall color works perfect for the lighting in the room .
January 24, 2013 at 7:17AM     
debbieiw
Try antiquing the mirror, or buying and insert that "masks" the TV, and able to watch TV with a nice frame around it, and when TV is off, the mirror is there. 2 in 1...good luck!
January 24, 2013 at 7:55AM   
dburns2661
Why on earth would anyone want to antique such a beautiful mirror. I think you just need to play around with some of the ideas you have already gotten. I always lay out a plain sheet and play with my arrangements until I find what makes me happy. By all means if you chose not to keep the mirror I would love to take it off your hands. I am in the process of redecorating my own living room and dining room. The chair covering you have chosen will be highlighted by the mirror.
January 24, 2013 at 8:05AM     
pawsandpurrs
Thank you for saying that ,do not antique that mirror jeez! What were they thinking!
January 24, 2013 at 8:26AM     
dburns2661
They were not thinking nor were they listening to what she was saying!
January 24, 2013 at 8:28AM     
Kathy Wilcox
I would find some accent pillows that pick up the colors in the mirror and use them on the leather furniture- they will bring those lovely bright colors all around the room and balance it out, I think it will go great with the fabric in the chair you are having made- don't worry about being "matchy- matchy". Natalie's suggestions are great! mix up patterns like stripes with that print you have. Get some large pillows to match the scale of your furniture. Solids are great, too. Be Bold and Brave, but keep your receipts, and if you can't live with something after a few days, return it!
January 24, 2013 at 8:32AM     
Melissa Jane
DON'T ANTIQUE THE MIRROR!!!
January 24, 2013 at 8:33AM     
Prince Todd
I had two chairs made with that same fabric. It's very durable, ask my cat!
January 24, 2013 at 8:56AM   
Prince Todd
Oh yeah, keep the mirror. Where did you find it?
January 24, 2013 at 8:57AM   
stixsl
I think the mirror is very pretty. Keep it. I would use it on another wall and group it with other items (like sconces or other wall art), and mount the TV above the fireplace. It detracts from the beauty of the room by being next to the fireplace. I would also use throw pillows on the furniture, picking up colors from the rug you choose as well as the colors in the mirror. Just tie it all together and you'll have a beautiful room!
January 24, 2013 at 9:05AM   
carolfiorello
Pier One. Just love the colors but was afraid of it being too much and limiting me. Looks like everybody's ideas will help me pull everything together. Thanks.
January 24, 2013 at 9:06AM   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I might use that mirror in a powder room where I could design the whole room around it. But I would not use it in the living room.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
January 24, 2013 at 9:19AM     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I would hang the mirror vertically above the fireplace. I would also get a higher console for the TV. It is a high ceiling and the TV & unit should also be higher. You cannot go less than half way up the tall walls. I agree with Natalie about large art, I would look at four quite large, framed the same, piece in a square above sofa. To the right of the fireplace, a grand torcher lamp and a green plant. The fabulous mask on the small wall to right of kitchen opening. Maybe get a plain empty black frame several inches larger on all sides of the mask, and hang frame around mask, makes a bigger statement. All lamps should be large, hefty & tall. I would look for a really large rug from sofa front legs (on rug) to the far side of the fireplace. If this is impossible then a rug that is smaller that runs from the front legs past the coffee table, but not include the chair. Because of the chair pattern & mirror, the rug should be a colorful, contemporary, stripe(narrow or wide). Again large art on the wall to the right of the sofa. Bold pillows.
January 24, 2013 at 9:23AM     
katpur24
Yes - I like the mirror too! I've been "around" for a long time, and over many years have been given so many things from family and friends - and I keep them all if I can. And I have accumulated things myself- new and antique pieces that I cannot part with. I'm planning on building a house in the near future, and can't wait to decorate with my eclectic accumulation of prized possesions. I love living with all my "stuff" - only a few things match, including furniture woods, upholstery, etc., and everyone loves to come to my house and check it out. I have found that the pieces I really like, I never get tired of and always find a place for them.
January 24, 2013 at 9:28AM   
Aja Mazin
The mirror is great, but it will become your worst decorating nightmare.

Do not build your LR around.
Relocate it to another room if you keep.
January 24, 2013 at 9:42AM   
carolfiorello
Am planning fabric chair to go on left wall by sofa with rectangular copper and glass table like the coffee table. How does that sound. Think we almost have this room done!!!
January 24, 2013 at 10:10AM     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Wish you the best..just go for it.
January 24, 2013 at 10:23AM     
carolfiorello
Thanks!!! Can you tell I'm afraid of it?
January 24, 2013 at 10:27AM   
cornwelll
OK, so send ME the mirror, I'll make it work. Colors much like my own! Seriously, keep working with it, and it all will become clear.
January 24, 2013 at 10:32AM   
dburns2661
The mirror will only limit you if you let it. Not many people today want a room that is sterile with no life in it. This mirror adds life to the room. People are trying to design this persons entire room and they only asked for opinions on her mirror (which she obviously loves). I stand by my original statement lay your pieces out on a sheet and try different arrangements. You may find you love something totally different from all these opinions put together. Only you know what looks right for you.

Thanks for the tip on Pier One, I found the mirror!
January 24, 2013 at 10:33AM     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Don't be afraid..go with YOUR instincts..be bold.
January 24, 2013 at 10:33AM     
Caroline Wise
I brought an area rug that really picked up the colors in a wall hanging I liked. Amazing the rug really pulled everything together in a coordinated way by picking up a few of the shades in the wall decoration
January 24, 2013 at 3:44PM     
PRO
Staged for Perfection
Keep the mirror as it is and hang it horizontally over the fireplace or above the couch. There is always more than one solution for everything. Leave the TV on the console. I do not like a Tv as focal point in a living room
January 26, 2013 at 4:34AM   
Danielle B
I love the mirror. The colors are cheerful and it can work in a mature, art deco room, a hippie chic girl's room, an over the top powder room... Use it as your jumping off point and draw from it to choose fabrics. On the other hand, the upholstery fabric you posted is in a totally different colour scheme. The question is: which do you prefer between the mirror and the upholstery? If you choose to keep both, I predict that you will end up relocating the mirror elsewhere in your home... because it's easier than moving the sofa :-)
January 26, 2013 at 5:05AM   
PRO
Design Mode
I would relocate the mirror to your entry way. A gal needs to check herself out when leaving and upon arrival and this should do the trick. The colours suggest what is to come in your living room, and the mirror can really stand on its own. A gathering shelf or small entry table could go below.
January 26, 2013 at 5:09AM     
Tiffany
I know that Carved Bouquet mirror...and the Lansdowne media stand...and the Anywhere Pedestal Table! I actually work at a Pier 1 Imports, so your style is after my own heart.

My first thought is that having the TV and console beside the fireplace takes away from the beauty of the fireplace. When you're sitting around the fireplace, you want to be able to enjoy just the fireplace and not have the TV right there whispering "watch me!". You should consider shifting the TV to the wall that's beside the couch. You'll be able to watch some cooking shows from the kitchen that way, too.

I LOVE this mirror. It's one of my top recommendations to customers that have a fun sense of style. I think that it would be better suited hanging horizontally over the fireplace mantle. I feel like it would be too close to the ceiling hanging vertically. It wouldn't have any "breathing room".

As far as a rug goes, I think you'd be completely fine going with a patterned rug. However, I'd stick with a simple geometric pattern with only one or two colors. You don't have to pick a color(s) that matches the mirror's colors exactly. You seem to have a warm color pallet, so just stick with that, and you're golden. Pier 1 has a newer rug called the Cabana Geometric Rug in a red shade. I'm thinking something with that general idea.

Hope some of this helps.
January 26, 2013 at 9:52PM     
carolfiorello
I wish I could put TV by sofa but not enough space to comfortably watch if you are on sofa. Kind if stuck with it on wall by TV
January 27, 2013 at 6:50AM   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.