Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Peninsula vs Island
kab11
January 23, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Small kitchen needs more counter and storage. Any suggestions?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Place a Sleekline narrow refrigetor thats used for small apts in DC. I'd also consider placing a 12" wall cabinets on the floor (add toe kick under cabinets to look like a base cabinet). I'd place this along the wall / from the white door to glass sliding doors with new countertop. If you are replacing the entire kitchen cabinets and countertop - I'd place then new cabinets 2" away from the wall by putting 2x4s behind them. This would give you extra countertop sq ft. also.

There is a narrow frig under our Trends - Appliance Trends tab on our website http://tgmcabinets.weebly.com
January 23, 2013 at 5:55pm   
lionnessone
What is behind the door?
January 23, 2013 at 6:01pm   
kab11
It's a pantry. 12" deep cabinets by slider might be an option.
January 23, 2013 at 6:08pm   
ccwatters
Are you wanting to work with the cabinetry you have, or replace everything? Countertops?
January 23, 2013 at 6:25pm   
kab11
Replace everything- Ideas- wall cabinets to ceiling, left of sink lazy Susan and wall easy reach. New counters... Stainless appliances already installed.
January 23, 2013 at 6:32pm   
PRO
Dytecture
I would opt for an island since you will need to access the pantry regularly and the peninsula is in the way.
January 23, 2013 at 6:41pm     
ccwatters
How wide are the interior walls of your pantry? And did you say you have your "stainless appliances already installed"? If so, where are they installed? In your new layout you attached, or the other real-kitchen photos? I have a couple of thoughts, I am just trying to understand what can actually be changed
January 24, 2013 at 5:12am   
PRO
Joseph I. Mycyk Architects, Inc.
I suggest an island would work best. Your dishwasher location can remain. Leave 3' min. between dishwasher and island. Island would run perpendicular to dishwasher wall. Your island basecabinets will be of more usefull dimensions eliminating those useless 12" wide cabinets. How many spice rack cabinets does one need? Be sure to overhang the island counter for more work space and so someone can sit at the island with their knees under the counter.
January 24, 2013 at 5:30am     
kab11
The layout is an idea from a designer, new appliances are in respective locations in the real photos, the pantry is @ 24"x27, the kitchen measurements are accurate 123"x104" , the table area is about the same space.

Solid Cabinet island or open island with shelf?
Thanks
January 24, 2013 at 8:10am   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
It looks to me that an island would work best.
January 24, 2013 at 8:13am   
Matthew Haraminac
I agree with what seems to be the consensus; go with an island. If you are keeping your current cabinets you can even do a contrasting cabinet on the island which is easier than matching the cabinets to do a peninsula. If you search contrasting island on Houzz you'll find many examples of this. Also, as Dytecture said, a peninsula would make for an awkward traffic pattern.
January 24, 2013 at 8:39am     
Tarey Cullen
It appears the entry path from (garage ) or front door would justify the island as a landing zone on an island. An island will make convenient access to the sliding glass door ( patio, outdoor cooking, ). Your lifestyle will dictate if you prefer to use this area as a social gathering space, with pull up seating at the island. I'm guessing that the exterior wall returns where the "pantry is located -or there is an exterior storage unit on the outside of that wall .
January 24, 2013 at 10:01am     
ccwatters
I would consider replacing the current pantry with cabinetry that would allow for your microwave to be integrated into it. See below for an example. This way, you can get a real hood over your stove. Ventilation is so important, duct to the outside.
I would change your sink cabinet to a 30" cabinet, keep a super susan in the corner base, with a matching top-to-bottom door (no drawer) 11" cabinet next to it (to left of sink). This cabinet, with the supersusan cab door next to it will appear to be one cabinet (hardware knobs at top inside corners).

Keep dishwasher where it is, and definitely no peninsula.

Also, by changing your pantry to cabinetry, you will get a far more streamlined look in kitchen. This will also help visually for if you want to take TGM Cabinets great suggestion of 12" base cabinetry along that wall with a countertop on top. Not sure, however, how much space you have on the other side of the kitchen that isn't shown...so just make sure you have 3' of walking room in between that and "dining" table / island
By having cabinetry run the whole lenth of that wall, you can create a larger island that becomes your main seating in lieu of a dining table. The length of the island can run the same direction as sink wall, and will not be forced to stop at former pantry door for aesthetic reasons. This could be a standard island with all cabinetry underneath, or a combination of cabinetry and table legs underneath if you want it to be more reminiscent of a table....which would be nice in your space if done the right scale. Examples below.

Leave at least 42" between the island end and your stove so that you are not cramped trying to get things in/out of the oven.

And always use drawers in the kitchen wherever possible in place of base cabinets.

That's just my two cents. Have fun :)

[houzz=White Small Kitchen]
[houzz=West Hills, CA Renovation: Kitchen]
[houzz=island]
[houzz=Hale Aina By The Sea]
[houzz=Kevin Quinlan Architect LLC | Portfolio]
January 24, 2013 at 7:47pm