Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Livingroom: Need help choosing rug and chair
AMN
January 23, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are in the process of refreshing this livingroom.

We need ideas for a rug to pull the room together and a chair to replace the green upholstered chair near the fireplace.

Couch, Barcelona chair/ottoman, coffee table, and window seat cushion are staying.

Decorative pillow changes can be made too. Those are from the old couch we just replaced.

(You may notice the rolled up rug off to the side. It was only a shade or two off of the couch, and it didn't look right in the room. Too bad cuz the sample looked great!)

I look forward to seeing your ideas for a rug and chair!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Lkristine
With everything being so neutral, possibilities are absolutely endless for rug/chair. Maybe you could share what styles you like, and if you care for any particular color for an accent? As your room is now it looks somewhat transitional, but as though you may be wanting the hint to be more toward the modern side????
January 23, 2013 at 6:24PM   
Darzy
Something like this may work. A sagey green, with curves like your coffee table and a bit modern looking. The curtains look a soft green? It would be nice to pick up the blue also from the area rug here. Plus, there is a bit a rust like your toss pillows.

January 23, 2013 at 6:35PM     
AMN
Our style might be described as "soft modern" or "natural modern."
January 23, 2013 at 6:58PM   
Jayme H.
Did someone say "rug"....Oh my Gosh...I have a rug fascination!
January 23, 2013 at 8:00PM     
Jayme H.
Now let me see.....Jazz it up with a wide chevron or the wiggly pattern ...
January 23, 2013 at 8:08PM     
PRO
Staged for Perfection
More pictures please
January 23, 2013 at 8:09PM   
Darzy
I'm thinking... I see you like modern yet the house in more traditional. Sooo...how about a "modern rug that looks traditional" Something like this would add color, juxtapostion your modern barcelona chairs yet complement the sofa/FP and curtains.

January 23, 2013 at 8:12PM     
Darzy
BTW..I like your green chair by the fireplace. I think I'd just swap the positions. Put the barcelona chair/ottoman table/lamp by the fireplace. Then put the other chair in the corner with a wood side table and lamp in the corner.
January 23, 2013 at 8:16PM     
PRO
Just Jill! Interiors
You never mentioned whether or not you were allowed to paint...
January 23, 2013 at 8:27PM   
PRO
Teri Fotheringham Photography
I have some great rugs for sale at cost! Here are a few ideas. T248 is Indian - 9 x 12 and the new price is $1,399.00. T347 is Indian - 9'3" x 12'1" and $1,350.00. T494 is Tibetan wool/silk - 6' x 9' and $4,000.00. Please go to www.terifotheringhaminteriors.com and click on Specials to see all of the rugs that I have left.
January 23, 2013 at 8:27PM   
margenek
I think you need a few more pieces of furniture to create a cozy sitting area. Looking a bit bare in there. Then choose a rug and accessories. What a beautiful room. I like the colors so far...so crisp and clean. It just seems so sparse when it comes to furnishings.
January 23, 2013 at 10:54PM   
Manon Floreat
Nice room and great light! This rug from West Elm, with it's soft colors and neutral palette looks like it would fit right in. I like your green chair as well and looks to be in good condition. It also works well with the paint color an the accessories on your shelves. What don't you like about it?
January 23, 2013 at 11:58PM     
Jayme H.
Or maybe more subdued
January 24, 2013 at 5:29AM     
Jean Tuck
Jayme hobbs blue flowered rug in this rmm and , centre sofa under window, table centered in front of sofa, the rug pulls in color of drapes and other items in you light colored rm.Chair placement ok, flower should be in 1 corner lamp should be near arm chair for reading or close work crafting(knitting/crocte) and both windows to have same color drapes.I'd like to see some leafy patterned extra cushions as well as the cinnamon ones that are currently there sort of in keeping with wood floor color. Just my humble opinion.
January 24, 2013 at 5:42AM   
Jayme H.
I was in a wild mood last night when I posted the wild rugs...calmed down this morning...lol!
January 24, 2013 at 5:45AM     
Jean Tuck
Jayme , yes sometimes if I am doing my home renos mood does affect finish so best to go inexpensive for easy changeout till you discover one that appeals ost to you and offers a good feeling when you enter the rm.
January 24, 2013 at 5:49AM     
PRO
Staged for Perfection
From the picture that you posted it does not look like a cozy living room. I am inclined to suggest that you place the couch in line with the window with an open area behind it. (this will mean that you do not inlucde the windowseat in your area. Thus the furniture will be closer to the fireplace. It looks like the chairs could be placed on either side of the couch then but I would love to see more pictures
January 24, 2013 at 5:59AM   
Jayme H.
I agree the furniture could be arranged differently also...I think I would try to get the sofa either as just previously suggested or I would maybe try to get it closer to FP at an angle.
January 24, 2013 at 6:22AM   
AMN
Thank you for all the suggs so far! Love hearing what other people think.

It's funny, @Manon Floreat, we have that exact rug in our guest room.

We've tried a few different furniture arrangements, but it is difficult with the all the entrances on the room and the thoroughfare that runs through it. Here's a rough floorplan.

Reasons we want to get rid of the green chair. It's faded from its original color, the cats have scratched it a bit, and we don't like how tall it looked compared to the Barcelona when we tried to create a conversation cluster with the chairs. The chairs looked like Horace and Jasper from 101 Dalmations next to each other.

This is our kitchen. We like things on the spare side, as you can probably tell.

January 24, 2013 at 9:18AM     
Darzy
Hi AMN...I think this would look great. It's "soft and natural modern". How about a sisal rug, then layer a cowhide on top? Maybe a cowhide with a little more "pattern" than this one.

January 24, 2013 at 10:26AM   
January 24, 2013 at 10:30AM     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I agree with Darzy to move the Barcelona chair & ottoman to where the green chair is located. A large table and lamp to go with it. I would purchase a pair of patterned (small pattern if rug is bold and large pattern if rug is subdued) slipper chairs or swoop chairs to be grouped together starting to the right corner wall of the window and the second in front of window edge. Keep the chairs close together with a small glass table between. Yes, move the sofa from the corner toward the dining area, end table with large & tall lamp on the right side of sofa. Your drapery rod is perfect, spread the panels wider or add an additional panel. Also add same rod over front window and hang same panels on the sides. Maybe a large framed mirror hung vertically over the fireplace. Large artwork on walls, maybe a large grouping on one. And obviously new pillows on sofa..but choose them last.
January 24, 2013 at 10:52AM     
Darzy
btw..great house! It's going to look perfect with your final touches.
January 24, 2013 at 11:13AM     
AMN
The Parlour is similar in shape to what we've been eyeing. I'll show that to DH too in case it's not already on the list.

Thanks!
January 24, 2013 at 11:24AM   
PRO
nFORMAL design
I kind of like the idea of getting something different for another chair. This one--Pumpkin by Ligne Roset--comes in solid colors or multi-colored all of the same shade (think red to pink or blue to powder blue). There is nothing plain or neutral about it! Also, I would think busy small patterned rugs. Here are two from BoConcept...the cowskin squares that fade is one of my favorites of all time.
January 24, 2013 at 11:35AM   
Lkristine
It seems as though you really love neutral and no fuss. I think getting a chair in the same color, with similar style would be best. And keeping the rug relatively neutral will go perfectly with your kitchen. Aside from that, if you ever decided you wanted to add a pop of color, detailed patterns, and/or change/add colorful accessories, it would make it so much easier. So, that being said, here are a couple of ideas that look like they may be a possibility for what you are looking for based on the pictures you have shown. http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Rialto-Black-Bonded-Leather-Chair/5749774/product.html http://www.wayfair.com/KAS-Oriental-Rugs-Eternity-Ivory-Waves-Rug-ETE1085-KG7291.html http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Christopher-Knight-Home-Modern-Black-Leather-Chair/6444201/product.html http://www.ebay.com/itm/Modern-Shag-Shaggy-Area-Rug-5-3-x-8-White-Carpet-/150983564252?pt=US_Area_Rugs&hash=item2327525bdc
January 24, 2013 at 5:57PM   
PRO
nFORMAL design
Lkristine has a great take as well. You don't always have to have a "pop" of color or something busy to break up the space. It really depends on what mood you are going for in your room. I personally think that very neutral and solid rooms are some of the most striking rooms aesthetically. I'd err more on the browns/tans/white...too much blacks and grays (cool grays) will make your space seem cold.
January 25, 2013 at 6:11AM