Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
need help filling a vacant space/wall in a family room
audrey50
January 23, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We recently donated our family piano to a local high school. Now I can't decide what to do to fill the space and create balance in the area left behind. We also removed paneling and painted the room, so I welcome any suggestions for wall hangings or pictures. I really need help to complete the room. THANKS!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
neitz
I think a tall white bookcase (not too deep) would look nice there next to the "reading" chair. You could fill it with books and decorative objects.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 6:38PM
oneofeleven
My suggestion would be to start with something simple like rearranging the furniture you have and if you find something missing look around in other parts of the house to see what other possibilities there are. A nice tall palm plant might be nice too.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 6:42PM
PRO
Dytecture
Perhaps a desk area.

0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 6:45PM
Darzy
I think a little console table with benches would be pretty, and add a couple extra seating for two.

1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 6:51PM
donnag631
a small scroll top desk?
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 6:51PM
donnag631
I like what Darzy just posted - nice.
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 6:52PM
audrey50
Thanks for the suggestions. I had considered a writing desk or console table with benches. The idea of a mirror over the console table would be a nice addition to the room. You probably noticed that the television doesn't have a console, yet. It will sit on the other side of the reading chair. Is that too much around that chair?
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 7:30PM
PRO
karen paul interiors
There are so many options for this space. Something with height to off-set the fireplace makes sense from a standpoint of balance. Every piece in the room must make sense from a utilitarian standpoint as well as to fulfill the aesthetics. What needs do you have at the moment that have not been addressed.? If there is something specifically you need, then it can be decided how to accomplish that both practically and aesthetically.
2 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 7:36PM
PRO
Designs by Susan
A media/ bookcase unit would be a recommendation. I see you flat screen sitting low. Place this unit on a higher shelf for all around viewing. Love the arrangements on the mantel. Find a nice metal art to go between on the wall over the fireplace.
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 7:42PM
audrey50
Thanks. I felt I needed something tall to create balance in the room. What you can't see from the photographs are two inset bookshelves flanking the fireplace. The room currently feels lopsided. The ideas to select something both tall and flush against the wall are all appealling. There is also something a little odd about the room.....the walkway from the kitchen to the foyer is the diagonal path just in front of the reading chair. Somewhat cuts off the room.
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 7:51PM
audrey50
Would anyone suggest adding a floor lamp behind the chair? Or is that idea not suitable for the room style?
1 Like   January 23, 2013 at 7:53PM
Darzy
I like your idea audrey50 of a floor lamp by the chair. Not the tall skinny halogen kind (these are the worst light shining up). Something like this...or a drum shade, or "reading" style light. Just not one of those halogen "bowls" shining up.

0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 8:01PM
audrey50
Thanks Darzy. That's good advice. One more question for you. If I select the console table, ottoman and mirror for the largest vacant wall, would you recommend a lower TV console for the wall on the other side of the chair. The chair would have two "console" like tables on both sides
0 Likes   January 23, 2013 at 8:16PM
audrey50
Susan,
Do you have any images or suggestions for retailers who sell metal art
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 7:34PM
Darzy
Can you show a picture of the tv console? No, I wouldn't want two similar consoles next to each other. But, if one is heaftier, or different style it would work.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 9:25PM
Darzy
The space is pretty narrow on the blank wall. More of a sofa table width would fit best.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 9:27PM
Darzy
Since your tv is not massive (thank goodness)...I think this would be perfect for your space for the tv. It will be hidden beautifully and not take away from your fireplace. Then, the console table on the blank wall.

0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 9:31PM
Darzy
By the way, you've done a great job remodeling! The paint and removing the paneling was a great idea. The furnishings look great and the curtains are very pretty.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 9:33PM
Jean Tuck
I like the idea of a bookcase either side of the fireplace and a reading chair.. The bare wall ight be a place to add a wall wire desgn and some family photos . The media stand from the old style cupboard is quite nice.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 10:14PM
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
Paint a square or rectangle of a darker color and use photos with lighter frames to display inside the rectangle.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 10:25PM