Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Chimney hood yes or no?
johannak002
January 23, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am updating our kitchen with new appliances, floor, counter, etc. but keeping the cabinets for now (as well as the soffit). I ordered a beautiful chimney hood but am now wondering if it will be too big/ tall for the space? It's not the biggest kitchen either and I am afraid it will look out of place and off scale. Does anyone think an under cabinet hood would work better? Pics are of kitchen currently and the hood we purchased.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Kind of a challenge isn't it? Need to take down the upper cabinet where the hood duct runs and add more tile, I think.
January 23, 2013 at 9:28PM   
lefty47
HI -- Yes, what Ironwood said and did you even measure the width ? The new rangehood looks big ! Just putting in a new range hoodfan is the easier thing to do BUT that new hood would update the kitchen a lot .A bit of work but it will be worth it .So the upper cabinet and sofit will have to be removed and the remaining sofit ends finished off and then atiled backsplash will be needed to the ceiling . Are you wanting to do that much work for the new range hood . Get some prices from a few contractors to see how much and decide from there.
January 23, 2013 at 9:44PM   
johannak002
The hood and stove are both 30" so yes, it should fit. I do not plan on removing the soffit, which I suppose is why I asked this question. There is no problem taking out the cabinet/ tiling. With the amount of work we are doing it's relatively a minor project.
So I am thinking I measure vertically and see how I like it... The neck may be on the shorter side. Not sure if that is weird or not...
January 23, 2013 at 11:20PM   
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Most local codes require the hood to be no more than 36" above the cooktop. Your hood manufacturer most likely makes a flue extension to make up the difference between your ceiling and the bottom of the hood. The hood is actually engineered to work optimally at the code height! Go online to the manufacturers web site and look up your hood and the accessories for it. Get the part number you need to the place you purchased the hood and get that extension shipped! Best of luck!
January 24, 2013 at 9:01AM   
Jayme H.
This one looks ok.
January 24, 2013 at 9:12AM   
PRO
Art Palette
Hello Johanna, since you are remodeling your kitchen now and it is not something that we dwell on too often, this may be the time for you to check your back splash options as well. Have you considered doing some beautiful mural behind the cook top or rest of the back splash. You may want to check some of the designs on my houzz profile by checking my profile photograph link.
January 24, 2013 at 9:20AM   
johannak002
Thanks everyone. I spoke to my appliance guy and he is certain that it will be fine- he has ordered a "low profile" hood, whatever that means. Now if only my counter tops / backsplash would come together! That is for another post...
January 24, 2013 at 5:48PM     
Ron
I'm planning on redoing my kitchen totally (remove the wall between dining room and kitchen, adding recessed lighting, etc.). The one thing I SWEAR I will do is get the same type of hood you have, or larger. I love my steamed seafood but I don't love smelling it all over the house for a week. I wish I had the ground, I would add an enclosed free standing building for a kitchen and bring the food in. I saw this at Williamsburg, VA and the guide informed us that if your kitchen was inside your house back in colonial times, you would be considered to be poor. There might be some logic to this in that in a lot of the old mansions here in Delaware, the kitchen seems to be built under the living quaters with the servants bringing the food upstairs to be eaten. Even in some of the older homes in Wilmington, DE that are not mansions, there were back "porches" with stoves and refrigerators. I built an outdoor uncovered "kitchen" complete with grill and hot and cold running water sink with granite countertop and I LOVE it. No smells inside the house (if the windows are closed).
April 2, 2014 at 6:25AM