Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Sitting area behind headboard in master BR
Robert Burns
January 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
The area behind the headboard is 8'x12' and I'd like to have a sitting area with a few chairs and a settee. There are two night stands--so you're looking at the back of them when sitting. Do you suggest a shoji screen? Thanks--from a single male with no design acumen
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Coby Smit
I would put the bed against the wall with side night stands and have a nice cosy sitting area opposite your large big doors...
January 24, 2013 at 5:51AM     
flgrandma
I totally agree with Coby Smit.
January 24, 2013 at 5:58AM   
Robert Burns
Thanks! That's how I had it set up. The room is 22x30, and there was no coziness---trying to create a space behind the bed...
January 24, 2013 at 6:01AM   
Robert Burns
The original setup...
January 24, 2013 at 6:04AM   
michigammemom
Robert, Great spacious room! I prefer the original set up with a seating area at the foot of the bed. If you wish to float the bed in the room you might consider a bookcase unit to act as a half wall to conceal the unfinished backs of your night stands. Do a houzz search of "free standing bed" for ideas.
January 24, 2013 at 6:08AM     
wmpj
You can also add coziness by painting the walls and ceiling a darker color.
January 24, 2013 at 6:09AM     
Robert Burns
And this sitting room is 6 feet from the foot of the bed--I should have provided this context earlier...
January 24, 2013 at 6:23AM   
PRO
Staged for Perfection
If you have a lot of space you can use larger furniture i.e 2 chaises or add ottomans to use with the chairs. What about a table with a lamp on it?
January 24, 2013 at 6:28AM   
michigammemom
It looks like your large bedroom is also blessed with a lovely view. Browse "large bedrooms" on houzz to get ideas for seating/multi purpose ideas. You obviously have space for a fully furnished sitting area or an office space in your room.
January 24, 2013 at 6:40AM     
Jayme H.
Anywhere you could add in some built ins? Or a seating area with a fireplace would be to die for!!!! And in a room like this you could get away with a massive bed..
January 24, 2013 at 6:46AM     
Jayme H.
Some big beds...The room needs a focal point and/or one in each area.
January 24, 2013 at 6:57AM   
PRO
Design & Decor By Shelley
Hi Robert, You are very lucky indeed to have such a great space for your bedroom. Great natural light to allow for new paint colour too..
Our bedrooms are our sanctuary, this space should be cozy and where we can't wait at the end of a hard day to relax unwind and feel stress free.
I would like to suggest placing your bed floating angled so when you walk through the door entering this space you see the foot of your bed..
I have attached an image for you as an example of creating your sitting area at the foot..You need to pull your focal point to the center so to speak which is your bed and seating.
I would also like to see a warm colour on the walls to create the mood. (can help with that if you request)
A large area rug rather than scattered smaller ones..Shag is the new cozy..Nice drapery panels on the windows.
You need to place dressers along walls, they shouldn't be floating in the middle of the floor..
January 24, 2013 at 6:58AM     
Jayme H.
One didn't come through
January 24, 2013 at 7:00AM   
orangecamera
I was going to post the same picture that michigammemom did. I like your room :)
January 24, 2013 at 7:10AM   
E Klo
What a great space. I agree with some of the previous posters - if you want to "float" the bed in the middle of the room - then I think you need to define the two spaces a bit more. Put a bookcase that runs the entire length of the bed & night stands and faces the sitting area so it looks intentional. Or, hire a carpenter to build you something - so it's a bookcase on one side, and a headboard with built in night stands on the other side. Here are some examples:

[houzz=Modern Bedroom]
[houzz=Urban Fusion]
[houzz=A.P. House]

Post an "after" pic so we can see what the final space looks like! Good Luck-
January 24, 2013 at 7:20AM     
Norma Sassone
I agree that the bed should go back against the wall and the sitting area could have a love seat and two chairs in the nice window area. To me, a bed floating in the middle of the room has a less cozy aspect, even with the shelves behind it. You could put a love seat at the foot of the bed with the two comfy wing chairs facing it. I think a bedroom really needs floor to ceiling drapes in a geometric pattern to cozy it up as well, but ones you can pull completely back during the day for that nice view.
January 24, 2013 at 8:10AM     
Robert Burns
I put the bed against the wall and I am working on a sitting area. Thanks!
February 17, 2013 at 10:49AM     
PRO
Show us a picture of the bed against the wall..
February 17, 2013 at 11:09AM   
Robert Burns
I am now working on the master bath, so this is not going to be completed for a month or so. What would you think would look great over the bed?
February 17, 2013 at 11:23AM     
PRO
Hello Robert Burns, I attached a few pictures to inspire you with some colour..not sure what your plans for paint colour are or if you want to leave the walls as is?
It would be nice to see warmth in this space as it seems quite grand in size..
February 17, 2013 at 3:17PM     
PRO
Hummingbird Designs
I like the set up that Shelly suggested as for over the bed find a large picture that inspires you .....,,. Take one of the colours from that painting and bring it through out your room ie pillows bedding and a different shade of that same colour on the walls. :)
February 17, 2013 at 3:30PM   
Robert Burns
Thank you! It's a huge master suite. Including the sunroom, bedroom space, two large walk-in closets and the master bath, it's over 1400sf behind the door. It's a renovated farmhouse, that originated as a16x24 cabin built in 1860. The cabin with original floors on two stories and exposed beams is still the center of the house. It's now over 4000sf.....so I was considering using one of the old barn doors, old, weathered, grey wood that I've kept in the shed as a headboard. Have you seen something like this work effectively?
February 17, 2013 at 4:57PM     
kwistina
I realize Im new to this posting, and I haven't had a chance yet to read all of your responses-so I'll cut to the chase. One of your posters' has a picture of the chairs at the end of the bed (as you had placed them later on). I would do one better. Get a bench with arms and place THAT at the end of the bed with the two chairs in their original spot by the doors, and a large ottoman in the center between them. Or, if you prefer, a nice tufted couch in place of the bench. There is nothing wrong with a couch at the end of a bed, and with a nice area rug, you now have bed, seating area, and cozy wrapped in one!
February 17, 2013 at 5:19PM     
caitsgrden
I think an old bard door would make a beautiful headboard...look at pinterest! I have seen old dog-eared redwood fence made into a headboard and it was beautiful
February 17, 2013 at 5:33PM