Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with the kitchen design
idearama
January 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
we have a sunroom (15 x 11) behind the kitchen (15 x 11). I want to remodel my kitchen and add a gas range. I am thinking of breaking the wall between the sunroom and kitchen to expand the same, however would still keep part of this room as sunroom (15 x6 ) and add about 5 feet to the kitchen making it (15 * 17).
1) I am attaching current kitchen measurements
2) the sunroom is just 15 x11 space (non insulated) with windows.

My dilemma is, is it a good idea to break the wall to expand the kitchen, secondly, what would it cost to complete such a project?

The first picture is my current kitchen, the second design is what we can do to add gas range by moving the cooking area from current island to back wall of the kitchen.

Appreciate any expert advice.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jean Tuck
Love design , but just like my own kitchen....have to get rid of clutter on counters n floors.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 6:37AM
PRO
Dytecture
And where is the sun room relative to the kitchen ?
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 8:07AM
idearama
Thank you for the reply. If you can see the double oven in the picture, there is a door next to it (cut out of the picture) to the sunroom, essentially sunroom is right behind that wall. So the idea was to get rid of the wall that holds the double oven all the way to the corner pantry ( which is next to the desk in the picture).
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 9:01AM
idearama
LOL Jean, I try to, I wish the picture was taken after declutter :D :D
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 9:02AM
PRO
Art Palette
Hello, May I suggest you to look into doing something special for your kitchen back splash by checking the designs shown on http://www.artpalette.net . Or just go to my link at Houzz and see some of my work. I am sure you can think of something beautiful for your back splash.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 9:09AM
idearama
Thanks for the back splash info, I am still looking into design dilemma for now.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 9:45AM
idearama
The current kitchen is not continuous , relocating the gas rantetop from island to the back wall is the simplest design, additional design was to break the corner pantry and create a L shaped kitchen, however the idea of expanding the kitchen appeals to me but not sure if it is worth the effort and money?
thanks,
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 6:29AM
ksfirefightermom
First, you need to make sure the wall is not load bearing. If it is, its another expense to put in a beam to support the load. I would suggest taking out the wal and making it one open space. You could also have sliding glass doors inbetween the kitchen and sunroom. That would make it open visually and still close it for energy.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 6:40AM
idearama
Ksfirefightermom, it is a load bearing wall. When you enter the sunroom, that wall has siding on it.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 6:48AM
Dar Eckert
The corner sink is a big hog of space as is the frig in the corner. (I'm assuming it's a frig, too small to read), Cutting the corners makes the room seem too tight and you loose a lot of counter space.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:20AM
wmpj
Are you replacing all of your cabinets, appliances and the flooring in the kitchen? If so, it depends on where you live. I use to work for a residential remodeling company in Northern Virginia and a remodel like this could cost around $100K. It will depend on what brand of cabinets and appliances you go with. Moving the wall is a huge factor too.
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 7:37AM
idearama
Thanks wmpj
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 9:47AM
idearama
Thanks for all the reply, without breaking the wall, how can I make this kitchen more efficient and functional. Currently the island doesn't have its double door, the doors of the base cabinet of the kitchen sink needs to be replaced and the hardwood floor polished.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 12:47PM
wmpj
I see you have two doors in the kitchen that are on angled walls. One is the pantry, what is the other? Do you really use the desk area or is it just a catch all for clutter? One option would be, if possibe, to move the fridge to the desk area and extending the countertop from the sink to where the fridge currently is (this includes installing an upper and lower cabinet there). You can then move the cooktop to the area over by the oven. If you like having the island, then keep it otherwise remove it. You would have to replace your flooring or see if a flooring company and match the wood.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 3:08PM
idearama
The other door is to the garage. I was going to move my double oven to the desk area. Thanks all
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 2:54PM
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Don't be afraid make the double ovens 2 base cabinets with base ovens or one double base ovens. This allows you to place them more strategically and gives you more countertop space. I think it also brings the kitchen out of the 80's with less tall cabinets blocking or taking countertop. It's important that the kitchen is centered around bringing people into the room since it is the hub of the home and with the ability to place ovens in the base then you can arrange the kitchen in such a way that the pieces will work with the flow as opposed to be stuck with where and how the ovens are placed. See the Appliances trends under Trends on my site http://tgmcabinets.weebly.com
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 8:44AM
idearama
Loved the murals and trends TGM cabinets.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 3:03PM
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
idearama, Thank you. That was very nice to let me know that.
0 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 3:22PM
More Discussions
Ideas please.... We have NO room for a table
We are re-furbishing our farm house. We plan a 33...
I am bored with my room. It's a rental what else can I do?
I love color but bored with my rental the space doesn't...
What do I do with this GAUDY Rococo Bedroom Set? Help
So, very good friends of mine moved to the Yucatan....
Art on my wall is making me stall!
Do the dimensions of my stand- in painting work for...
New living room
These are pictures of my new living room. I'd like...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.