Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Curved staircase help!
mopaski
January 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Just bought a 30 year old house that needs major updating!!! Which I am regreting because I have two kids until two and I can't get anything done!!!! So my wonderful husband is doing most of it on days off and after work. This is a curved staircase that we fell in love with...well the vision we have for it anyways. The railing needs to be replaced...it shakes and the carpet has to go! So my question is.... Any ideas?? Carpet on stairs??? Wainscotting?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Get Back JoJo
I am a huge fan of dramatics especially when it is the first thing you see whenyou step inside a home. Paint, carpeting really makes a difference! AND having it done right is very important. The image I atteched looked a bit like yours now before I got my hands on it!
January 24, 2013 at 7:30am     
Shawn Lagemann
You may not have as much work to do as you think. The treads of the stairs look like wood too. If you take up the carpet, depending on how it was installed, glued or stapled, you may only have some refinishing work. You can shore up the handrail so it doesn't shake and paint the spindles for a fresh look. You can also paint the risers on the stairs and leave the treads stained. If you choose to put carpet down, think about making it turned under at the sides in a runner pattern, installed waterfall style. Its a nice look and cheaper to install than having the upholstery charge of a standard stair installation, plus you get to see the wood at the sides of the tread and riser.
January 24, 2013 at 7:36am     
Judy M
I would check to see if staircase can be repaired before replacing but this would be my inspiration. Paint or restain the railings dark, paint the risers white, and add wainscoting along the curved wall. The only difference from this picture I would add a runner, with 2 kids it will be quieter and softer and much easier to keep clean. Bare stair treads are noisy and get dusty.

January 24, 2013 at 7:41am     
defever
What a great opportunity to be able to turn that fabulous staircase into a WOW! factor. You can get some good ideas by searching Houzz's database for "circular staircase". Lots of great inspiration! Good luck!
January 24, 2013 at 7:45am     
PRO
A. Peltier Interiors
Those are great pictures and suggestions, and I too think it is just a repair job. The painted white spindles with the black railing will look really beautiful and yes with kids, put a runner, it will be much easier for everyone to go up and down these stairs. What a fun project and good luck! Post pictures when your finished!
January 24, 2013 at 7:46am   
mopaski
Great ideas! We were planning on adding 3 white box newells and a half one on the wall at the bottom and wainscotting down the curved wall. We are thinking replacing the carpet with new carpet. Suggestions? This was the look I was going for
January 24, 2013 at 7:48am   
Lisa Smith
I would replace your railing with iron. nothing crazy elaborate. Stain risers a dark walnut color and paint the toe kick and area below stairs a really clean white. Will look really good with your wall color.
January 24, 2013 at 8:00am   
Judy M
You're on the right track. You can really transform this staircase into a real WOW. Add a great chandelier.
January 24, 2013 at 8:20am