powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with color of banister stair rail.
corndelorn
January 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
The Tall Wall Behind is stacked stone - the railing is a little orange looking. Ideas please on color????
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
you have a lot going on here three wood tones and a white base, plus the stone wall.

the railing needs to be pulled together with one of the other woods. one idea is to use lacquer to spray the railing to being to look as the stairs. or to paint the rail the base white
January 24, 2013 at 9:33am     
corndelorn
I'm not sure about white - I agree with pulling it all together - pull from stone wall or pull from the stair wood color???? I'm looking to brighten not more brown - what about cinnamon???
January 24, 2013 at 9:43am   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
white that matches you base is the best solution to your issue of brightening as well as pulling two surfaces together. the base and the verticals of the hand rail should match
January 24, 2013 at 9:50am   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
then darken the handrail cap with a tone to match the stairs
January 24, 2013 at 9:51am     
corndelorn
oh like two colors - I guess I could do the white base and if I don't like it change it, right???
January 24, 2013 at 11:22am   
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I think it would look stunning painted all black..too many wood shades..if fearful..paint it trim color white.
January 24, 2013 at 12:02pm   
mpoulsom
I think I would do something different here..love the stacked stone wall...I would paint the railing a medium to charcoal gray for something different rather than black!
January 24, 2013 at 12:09pm   
Susan Flowers
Oh my, iron spindles would look fantastic.....hard to say without seeing more of your decor....why are the stair treads so dark...is that direction you are moving toward, as opposed to the lighter floor? Love the stone.
January 24, 2013 at 12:11pm   
Judy M
January 24, 2013 at 12:18pm     
PRO
Doreen Schweitzer Interiors, Ltd.
I agree with Gary-too many shades of wood. Paint the spindles white like the base trim. This would be in keeping with the traditional style and seperate the floor color from the railing color. The railing will be easier to maintain if it remanis stained. Metal spindles would be OK if you are going for a
Tuscan style but would add greatly to the cost of the project. The stone wall does go towards the Tuscan style. Either option is OK based on your budget and what style you want to project.
January 24, 2013 at 12:30pm   
Jayme H.
Example
January 24, 2013 at 12:55pm     
corndelorn
Thank you to eveyone for all the great advise - I'm gettig closer and closer. I will post a after photo.
January 24, 2013 at 2:41pm     
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
Combos of black, dark gray and toupe. It would both draw from and accent that awesome stone.
January 24, 2013 at 3:17pm   
corndelorn
Yes I agree - the base looks white in the photo but it is toupe/bisque. sooooo I'm torn as to how I approach all these different colors. . . . . . .
January 24, 2013 at 8:38pm   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
I told you the other night the best is to match the verticals to the base trim and the hand rail to the stairs...the unfortunate thing here is the two wood floor finishes (stairs dont match the lower floor)
January 25, 2013 at 8:33am     
corndelorn
Hi Gary - true the stairs and floor do not match but I'm upgrading the flooring to tile. My question is; the base color is bisque. One suggestion was grey & black??? I'm not going to use black but grey sounds interesting.
January 25, 2013 at 8:38am   
Linda Coolen
I would go Black if you like it to look more modern and a nice clean off white like Benjamin Moores AF 20 Mascapone.
January 25, 2013 at 8:41am     
aniluap2
I think Gary Finely is right on target with his advice. Less is more. Don't introduce too many colors on the wood surfaces use accessories or walls to introduce more color...they're easier to change.
January 25, 2013 at 9:06am   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
and for that matter....why is color so important at this point?
January 25, 2013 at 9:33am   
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
it might be worth a meeting with a floor finisher to see what the cost of changing the stair color would be for you
January 25, 2013 at 9:34am   
amjadjor
درابزين
March 23, 2013 at 2:44am   
apennameandthata
Should you not wait until you have changed the floor tiles? Floor tiles come in a limited number of colours, but you can get any coloured paint you want.

Too, when they say "white", they probably don't mean white white.
March 23, 2013 at 5:01am   
More Discussions
Concrete countertops
Does anybody have any advice or opinions about concrete...
Need help with juliet balcony waterproofing (decorative railing)
I have a bay window and I would like to install a decorative...
Borrowing home decorating ideas from the internet?
If you see something on Houzz or Pinterest or elsewhere...
What kind of faucet?
I have bone corian counter tops and slate floors My...
Has anyone installed LG Viatera Rococo?
I am thinking about using LG Viatera Rococo in my kitchen,...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.