Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Family room furniture dilemma
gmossing
January 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I love the openness of our family room, but the furniture layout is not working. I want it to feel more conversational. I am willing to buy some pieces to make it work.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
judianna20
I think this picture could be used for inspiration. Invest in a more interesting piece for under the t v; add an area rug; buy another chair and ottoman and coffee table. Not crazy about the chair with the wooden arms. Try arranging your furniture like the picture, pulling your sofa in closer to the fireplace.
Kinsman Signature Home
Latitude Grellow Low Dresser CB2
January 24, 2013 at 10:35am   
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
You will feel better about it if you snuggle you pieces around the fireplace focal , TV and the view, if there is one. Is there a wall behind the armchair or does that open to a dining space? We could use pics taken from each corner of the space, to really help more. Float the furniture in the center. I'd get a large area rug to anchor the space. Use the colors in your piece of art to select it. Pull the chair and footstool around and closer to the window on more of an angle and put the side table with it. Pull the sofa perpendicular to the smaller window by the TV. The front feet of the sofa and armchair should be on the area rug. Get an oval coffee table to repeat the curve of your sofa, and a round side table for the armchair in the same finish that is on its arms. Don't try to match up the tables. Get some substantial stools for the bar. Put woven roman shades on the windows (inside mount) and drapery panels at each end, hung floor to ceiling (even at the small window.) To make it appear larger, you can get the shades long enough to hang them a few inches above the window, so they apprae to hang at the same level as the ones in the large triple window. With the panels on each side, your treatment will look more uniform all the way around the room.
January 24, 2013 at 10:52am