Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
What should I put over this headboard??
breakout2012
January 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My ceilings are 13 ft tall My room is narrow but long. What would look good over this headboard in the way of artwork, pictures etc.? The ceiling is a tray ceiling. The walls are honeybee yellow. I want something contemporary or modern on the walls. The wall beside the bed is about 16 ft long and I will need some artwork on it too. I am stumped!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
AMN
Is the room 13 feet in the tray? The walls don't appear 13' in this pic, but I'm not there so...

I'm inclined to say put nothing over the bed. The headboard is your artwork.

I suggest putting a lot of thought into the bedside lamps and artwork to the side. With such a long wall, it sounds like the horizontal aspect may be more important. I like rooms that acknowledges that humans live in it--therefore keeping the eye at a more human-level.

Not this exact artwork and lamp selection, but I like the layout.
Fiorella Design

These guys went with big dressers instead of tall lamps. That allowed them to use cute, small, jeweled lamps. Architectural and Interior Photography

Another
New Master Bedroom-area

Another
White Wing Master Bedroom

^ this one makes me think that instead of putting something above doing the wall in an amazing wallpaper.

If you decide to put something above, consider these configurations. They look okay, but I think they'll come off as very traditional.
4 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 1:59PM
Genevieve
I don't have a high ceiling but if I did I would go with an oval , the picture on the top left isn't really doing much for that room, the lamps are too tall and they cover the pictures ,so either opt for shorter lamps or remove those pictures . Also add complimentary pillows on you bed to take the eyes away from the walls ,. You could have an electricain install some wall mounted lights type , Gas lights with a crystal shade
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 2:15PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Ditto to AMN, my thoughts exactly. Another idea, paint the bed wall 1-2 shades deeper than honeybee, depending on the jump-up of color tones. It still has a smooth flow for your eye and accents your bed wall which is the focal wall in the room. Note the darker bed wall color vs the upper wall color.

Be sure to mouse-over the photo!

1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 2:39PM
breakout2012
Thanks y'all! Good ideas. There is 4 more feet of ceiling where you see the beginning of the white. I guess that is called a tray and the white slants back toward the center of the room but the very upper ceiling is flat. I will try to post a better picture. Thanks for all the great ideas! Be back in a sec when I can post a better picture that shows the ceiling better.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 2:41PM
breakout2012
My son is an electrician so he could add lights easily for me. Here is a picture of the ceiling. Ignore the tiny little lamp and side table if it shows. Its just temporary. I purposely didn't buy matching bedside tables so as not to be so matchy matchy. The table in the corner that I will use is smaller than the other and fits the space better. I will paint it black. I am looking for some really outstanding lamps but how tall should they be and should they match? THe table on the right in the corner isn't large enough to have a big lamp but a skinny tall one would work...or a skinny short one. :)
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 2:52PM
PRO
LB Interiors
You could also run a chair rail moulding (wainscott) horizontally around the room and paint the color of your moldings. This extends the eye around the room and visually makes the room appear wider than it actually is.

0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 3:00PM
intoit
AMN posted some good ideas for you. Like that you don't want the matching lamps and would suggest that you make the lamps tall enough so that you can read in bed. Always been a pet peeve of mine when the lamps were too short to cast light properly. Think the lamps in the last picture (Bethany Beach) are are just right. Wonderful bed frame you have to work with and it will be a lovely room.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 3:18PM
breakout2012
Good ideas! Yes, I definitely read in bed. The lamp I am using now goes in my guest bedroom...palm tree and gold but it looks really good against the honey bee wall color. I will use it in the guest bedroom though! I was something less soft to my eye. Edgier...squarer to play against the curves of the bed..or maybe I could reflect the curves of the headboard? I may try different things til I get it just right! Putting up wainscotting might be a little industrious for me but I have a friend who paints and does that type work...so its a possibility! Thanks y'all!
When I get it done, I will post some pics!
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 3:27PM
PRO
LB Interiors
In my opinion, the end tables can match OR be different, but MUST be the same height. One end table should not be bulky and the other one too skimpy or delicate. It's a better balance for the overall grouping. Center the bed on the wall, use equal space on the sides of the bed for tables. I think the tables should be close to the same width if they are different from one another. Better balance for the overall grouping.

My preference, I think the lamps should match. Whatever you choose should be the same height. I agree with "intoit" regarding tall enough to read in bed. Lamps can overlap artwork on the wall behind them, but slightly.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 8:13PM
breakout2012
Thanks LB Interiors. The smallest table is the same height and is 1/3 smaller in width than the larger table. The bed isn't precisely centered on that wall because the room is narrow and it wouldn't leave enough room to walk between the end of the bed and the dresser. I may put the bed on the long wall and the dresser on the wall that the bed is on now. Its worth a try to see how it looks and I would have room for another bedside table exactly like the one I have...or one similar but same size and color. I don't have a chest of drawers but can easily get one which would be more storage space. My cousin owns the furniture store where I buy all my furniture...so he can pretty much get what I need. Thanks again.
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 7:42AM
jillmeng
You have the ceiling space the elegant headboard get yourself some fabulous fabric and do a canopy. Weston Residence
Enchanted Oaks These are just two I found that quickly by putting in canopy headboard under browse bedrooms. It would be beautiful and in keeping with the style of furniture too!
2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 8:07AM
wellerval
I like the idea of using three small plates/prints/objects, etc. in a triangular pattern following the curves of the headboard.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 8:29AM
jillmeng
Opps I read your want for contemporary after I grabbed those pictures. All you do is chose a contemporary fabric and look for a style to hang it...So much fun using fabric as art. Also do contemporary lamps and art on each side of the bed.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 8:45AM
Martha Woods
What if you cut out a piece of plywood to fit the lower portion of the headboard, pad it, cover it with a lighter toned fabric and mount it to the bed with lots of heavy-duty velcro? This would show off the beautiful details of the headboard. I say velcro rather than drilling holes because of devaluing the headboard for future use. Also, no one has mentioned that the dark bedspread is not enough contrast to the dark headboard. This headboard is your accent piece in your room - - play it up as much as possible. Good luck.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 9:07AM
aniluap2
How about using a really fabulous contemporary wallpaper that reflects a traditional design in navy and white ( to match your bedspread) behind the bed and 2 large mercury glass table lamps or swing arm lamps in nickel attached to the wall. If you want to keep the yellow in the walls do a yellow and ehite print and pick up the yellow in pillows on the bed or throw. This would blend the old with the new and give you a modern, fun, eclectic vibe
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 9:44AM
I find the color of the wood bed and the color of the wall too much contrast. I agree that possibly a deeper value on that one wall and proper reading lamps that work for YOU. Maybe lamps a little larger in width and a touch of sparkle on the nightstands. Brighten the bedding with one or two contrasting wheat colored pillows or shams accented with the blue tones in classic contemporary pattern. A "restful" contemporary print could be hung over the headboard. RELAXING is the goal - Enjoy!!
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 9:49AM
breakout2012
Wow! Wonderful Ideas! I now agree that the bed cover is too dark with the dark wood. I am thinking of a gold/mustard tone print coverlet and just fold the dark one at the end of the bed. This picture was made when I first moved in 2 months ago and was made with my cell phone. The only light in the room is with a ceiling fan. It is a beautiful ceiling fan but the glass shade is mustard yellow and doesn't let much light come thru. There is one window with wood blinds. I need to get more light in the room but I also want it to be able to be dark for sleeping. Thank you all for the great ideas! I love the idea of a canopy...may do that!
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 1:02PM
janiehburton
I think I would use a neutral and much litter in color comforter/bed linens. Your bed is stunning and I feel it should be THE focus and a lighter color for the bedding, I think would help achieve the desired effect.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 1:13PM
PRO
MirrorWindows.com
You could add some elevation on either side of the bed above the night stands. This mahogany Mirror Window picture was taken with a very similar style bedroom set.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 4:43PM
breakout2012
Yes MirrorWindows, good idea. I am getting some great suggestions from you all! Thanks!
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 5:11PM
darleneellen
I agree. I think plates/small pictures that follow the curve of the headboard.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 1:50PM
breakout2012
I LOVE plate walls!
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 3:07PM
PRO
LB Interiors
If the wall above the headboard is left empty, the bed takes center stage, and it's so pretty and has lots of style and character. Too many individual objects in this space will look like clutter..
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 3:18PM
Madi
Go with some simple black and white photography
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 3:22PM
breakout2012
I have some black and white prints I had planned on using somewhere in the room.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 5:06PM
breakout2012
Thanks LB Interiors! I love the bed and the dresser is just as beautiful!
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 5:08PM
Susan
I think wall paper on the wall with the headboard would really set off the amazing shape and style of the bed. Match the paint for the other walls to the background colour of the wall paper. I am very happy with the way mine turned out.
Are you keeping the black bedding? I suggest something a little more relaxed and cozy.

Susan
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 2:36PM
breakout2012
Susan, your room is gorgeous! I am going to fold the black comforter back to the foot of the bed and use a pretty creamy yellow and white print coverlet to lighten it up. I think that will look good because I have no footboard...could have bought the bed with the footboard and have plenty room but have arthritis and I am continually bumping into things and falling! However, I am looking for a bench for the end of the bed to put my pillows and extra cover on at night. I hate throwing them on the floor.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 4:49PM
Susan
Thanks. I run a B&B and let out this room. I love your bed, it would suit my room. Those are black and white photos beside the bed. I think the creamy coverlet will be nice and You don't need a foot board, they get in the way when making the bed. Try a blanket box left open with extra blanket and you can toss extra pillows there. And you can place it anywhere in the room.
How many windows in your room and what's covering them? I have dark wood trim throughout the house, but covered the window trim here with panel drapes. That's the wooden door showing on the right. I painted the end wall with the same flowers as in the wallpaper.
Depending on how many windows to cover, I like the idea of a drape behind the headboard as canopy (as mentioned by another). It would add warmth as well as set off the bed. Would have to be hung just below the change to white ceiling.

Good luck. Hope to see the finished product.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 9:06PM
centaurita
I really love, love, love the idea from jillmeng of the "Enchanted Oaks" room. Matching the bedskirt to the panel behind the headboard really shows that the bed is the focal point of the room and also highlights the beautiful headboard by framing it. If you can sew, it is a fairly easy DIY, and if not, you might be able to find a pretty matching skirt and curtains to use from your local department store.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 10:03PM
breakout2012
Susan, there is only one window and it is covered with white wood blinds. No curtain yet. Not sure if I even want one. Centaurita, yes I can sew and have a high end embroidery machine to boot! I am planning on doing some monogrammed throw pillows. I can make curtains, bed skirts etc. too. I am a tad lazy though and may just buy what I want/need. I do plan on a bench or blanket box at the end of the bed. I have a black trunk that I could use that has bronze buckles and nail heads etc. that might look really good there. I am using it in the living room but need the space it is in for something else.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 10:23PM
PRO
LB Interiors
breakout 2012, You're welcome!
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 10:52AM
More Discussions
How can I make this miniscule space functional?
Looking to see if I can create a function for this...
SIDING ON A BUDGET
Siding on a budget. Is it ok to just do the front...
Need Ideas for my Industrial Chandelier
I am working on building an industrial chandelier for...
Need advice for door color
I am wanting to add some color to the front of my house....
Color help white
Can't find the right white
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.