Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Suggestions on bamboo shades?
danioma
January 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I love the look of bamboo shades with curtains. But I have a few questions: If I have tans/beige walls will it look too monotone? Also, we happen to have cherry cabinets in the kitchen which is attached to the DR - should these match the finish of the shades? Lastly, what is everyones thoughts on if I have them in one room on the first floor, should all the windows on the first floor have them too so it looks consisten on the outside?

My apologies if these seem like stupid questions.....I'd love your thoughts! I am attaching a pic of my LR and DR (which are in process of a revamp in 2013!) Thank you in advance!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mpoulsom
Idon't believe that you HAVE to have them all the same on the same floor if they are not connected by being a totally open floorplan.
Levolor and Bali make some beautiful woven shades in many colors including darker colors and cherry like in color. If it were me, I would go to lowe's or somewhere and buy a couple in different colors and see what you think looks best in your room. Then take them back after you decide whether to go more cherry in color or medium or light! Then order or buy what you want! You may find that woven or bamboo type is too casual for your room, on the other hand???? Me personally, I think the living area could pull off the woven blinds, not sure about the dining area though. May need to reconsider something different for that room like plantation shutters or something???
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 12:22PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
I love the idea of woven woods in formal areas with drapes. But first of all your drapery rods are TOO short in both rooms, extend them and spread out the panels and have just a side hem cover the window frame. For woven woods, I personally like the bamboo that is separated by a single reed strip the best, but in the natural colorings, they will also darken with age. Then add large artwork. The chair in the corner of the dining room does not work. On the end wall you could have matching narrow cabinets (wood tone color of table). Place a vertical mirror..tallish.. over them. On one, place a tray with glasses, and or liquor bottles and use as a bar. The other for serving items. Don't know if I like the fabric on the chair in a room with the drapery shade. Also the light fixture just doesn't look right. I think maybe something in a rubbed dark bronze, not so "swoopy".
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 12:50PM
Susanna
I agree with Barbara's comments. I would add this as my 2-cents worth: Right now the eye goes to the light fixture because the table is like a dark runway. Kim Seybert makes stunning beaded tablerunners, as does Neiman Marcus and Horchow. They cost from 400-500 dollars each. The happy surprise is that Pier One sells one very, very similar in your colors for $37.00. I think it would help to accent your beautiful dining set. They have several designs. Hope this helps!
http://demandware.edgesuite.net/sits_pod13/dw/image/v2/AAID_PRD/on/demandware.static/Sites-pier1_us-Site/Sites-pier1_master/default/v1359029391836/images/2633295/2633295_1.jpg?sw=1500&sh=1500
2 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 1:43PM
decoenthusiaste
If it is large enough I'd like to see you try your living room carpet under the dining table, but it must be 4' wider and longer than the table. Your long FP surround and the dentil molding across the front of it lead the eye in a very linear direction. Then your furniture lined up in front of it continues the linearity. I would pull the sofa around to face the TV and be perpendicular to the FP. Then bring the chair and footstool directly in front of the FP opening. Bring the rocker from the DR and put it by the floor lamp. I think you can move the TV a bit to the left then. Hang the one large picture directly above the FP opening and remove all the square and rectangular shapes accessories and pictures from the mantel and shelves. You need to re think and rework them. Check the tutorials at Houzz for styling shelves. I'm not sure you can do what Barbara suggests with your drapes because the one window is so near the FP. Is there a matching one on the other end of the FP? You desperately need color in the living room though. Does it open to the DR or are they separate spaces? We really need more pics to help you. Consider fabric roman shades. and think about bringing the green drapes into the LR, hanging a pair at the end window and then splitting a pair to use at the FP windows if there are two at the FP. That way you'd not have one panel crowded into the FP. The green would be a lovely color to work throughout both rooms in pillows, throws, rug, chair seats, etc. Check into drum chandeliers for that dining room.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 2:37PM
PRO
Audra's Draperies, Inc
I love woven shades, they are beautiful! I like the uniform look from outside, especially if it's the front of the house. If you are considering a combination, I would go with lighter color woven shades and focus on more interest with the draperies in terms of color and design. Check out the pic. It's from Horizons. It's a great product with an affordable price tag:)

Good luck and I hope it's was helpful.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 3:36PM
mainstreetschool
I love this green! Using it myself. I agree with above posts about re-working drapes to tie the rooms together. Also turning the sofa and moving chair and ottoman to face the fireplace. You could use bamboo woven shades from Lowes without it being too casual. Use the paisley for accents in the living room to tie the rooms together, even on the rocker when you move it to balance the tv stand. Perhaps a round mirror above the built-ins to break up the squareness. Add a couple soft pillows in the green for the family to relax on. Either change the chandelier, or add more of the silvery color throughout the room, ie: platters on the wall. (Big Lots has silver chargers). Post pics when you are finished. Grab some floor sliders to put under your furniture while you move it around to try the different looks. Easy on the back and the hubby.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 5:57AM
putter2
I think your walls would be great in the same green as your curtains, to stand up to the dark table. Use dark wood poles that go beyond the window frames for the curtains, and matching decorative mirrors on either side of the end window to break up the green. Your living room would be better with the bamboo blinds and poles, as the colors in there are warmer......but again, longer poles, so your curtains aren't covering the windows.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 6:27AM
putter2
Change the light fixture to a simple glass chandelier to compliment the mirrors and give a little formality to the room.....
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 6:32AM
swooz1042
If you go to most online companies who carry woven shades at a discount, they will send you samples, free of charge. I had mine in a couple of days. Then hold them up next to your wall color and drapes and pick the one you like. You can pick your own options...which side the controls are on, lined or unlined and so on. I'm glad you asked this question. My formal rooms are on the end of the house and I really wanted woven shades but needed blinds in the street side for light control. Wasn't sure I could mix the two. Now...I think I will!!
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 7:44AM