Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Finishing touches needed
niktay
January 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I still need to add some finishing touches - I need to find some items to fill the shelves. I just can't decide what since the shelves are narrow (3,4&5 inches)
Those are actually 2 chairs together which I can either leave together for a couch look or pull apart. I also am putting the ottoman shown in picture in the room. The ottoman is 24" by 15" inches high.

I think I am adding the side table that I attached.... Just for some texture.

But I feel like it's still lacking maybe? I don't know if a large plant would help or what else I can do. The room is only 12x12... and yes, I realize the piano doesn't quite fit with the style but it's there for sentimental reasons.

I'm on the fence with window treatments...
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sacapuntaslapioz
What is the room used for? I love the dark grey and white chairs.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 12:19PM
niktay
It's one of those rooms... Not used for much (except piano and occasional guitar playing) But it's the first room you see when you enter the house so I want it to look fantastic.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 12:22PM
PRO
Oriental Weavers
Love this wall color! Very handsome! Any pattern would help add a little zest to the space, whether by window treatment or a large angled rug with subtle pattern (as to not interfere with ottoman). Also, don't be afraid of mirrors! (Think large framed vertical standing mirror leaning against wall) Dark, small spaces can really benefit from reflective surfaces, and would tie in nicely with the accessories you posted.

P.S. The piano is timeless and fabulous!
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 12:38PM
elklaker
My first thought is that the shelves are simply too small for such a large dramatic wall. Some fabulous, contemporary artwork would be more appropriate.
Please post a photo of the space with the table and ottoman in it. Some color and texture should be introduced somehow. Rug? Curtains? Pillows?
Great start!
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 12:39PM
niktay
I have a large picture hanging over the piano, maybe a table under the shelves would help?

Maybe looking for rugs or curtains will help. Yes, Pillows are in the works, just can't decide what color.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 12:44PM
PRO
Abigail Stopper
I agree about the shelves, they are too small! Especially on that dramatic dark wall. I would either:
1. Put a large scale piece of art on the wall with the shelves. Perhaps something with some vivid color
2. Do a gallery wall of a mix of art. You could tie in some more traditional frames to pull in the piano. Here is a link to some ideas for gallery wall configurations: http://pinterest.com/pin/235102043019615080/

Also, I would absolutely pull in window treatments. Make the classic and simple. I envision a pale blue solid, like the vase on the piano.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 12:47PM
elklaker
The table is a good idea. Maybe add some buffet lamps on it. Perhaps a glass top with a metal base. Another wood may take away from the piano.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 12:51PM
niktay
I probably need to work around the shelves, I bought them and hubby got anxious and hung them. Do you think I could add frames around the shelves and put a frame two on the shelves to start tying it all together?
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 12:51PM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would put up a Decorative rod going across all the windows and put 2 decorative drapery panels 24'' on either sides to frame the window. The rod should be mounted 6'' above frame and panels to be just sitting on the floor.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/drapery-toronto/panels.html
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 12:55PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
Love the wall color. I like the drapery panel idea, but use full panels, one on each end and one each between the windows (4 panels), in a simple ready made natural fabric such as linen like. The shelves are WAY TOO WIMPY. Move them to another place..a very narrow lower wall..maybe in another room if necessary. On the wall use 4, very large, framed the same (plain black with white mats) photographs preferably in color..but each one should be at least 30 x 30 or 30 x 20 framed. A console table on that wall, with a large colorful bowl, a tall green plant to the right corner. Pull the chairs to the left a little and add a glass table with tall lamp on the right. To the right of the window add angled to room larger leather chair with ottoman... in black or very dark brown leather. Love the accessory items in your pictures.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 1:25PM
niktay
Thank you- I guess I better start looking for some items to make the room look more complete.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 1:33PM
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
show us the finished product..it is a great room.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 2:32PM
sacapuntaslapioz
great. It is a music room then. very exciting. I think you need to think bigger. this is what I would do:
1.- a rug in appropiate size in a zebra pattern or oriental pattern
2.- either 2 red leather chairs in an interesting pattern or a white sofa (you could make it a sofa bed for extra sleeping space for guests. or you could add 2 more chairs
3.get a chandelier with some bling
4.- I would go for a large b/W photo of a favorite musician

[houzz=
]
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 2:41PM
sacapuntaslapioz
more pics
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 2:42PM
sacapuntaslapioz
and some more.my last. the shelves are way too small. no curtains.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 3:00PM
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
Big art, large reflective mirrors and frames and high tech lamps!
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 3:09PM
PRO
Oak-Land Custom Fireplaces, Inc.
I would add interest to that wall, this is silly, but shows my idea :-)
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 3:17PM
Greg the PAINT-IT! guy
HOLY, MOLY! That's the most incredible show of artistic tallent I've ever seen! Just stunning!!! Add some light that refelcts and you've got the worlds biggest new winner on your hands. STUNNINGLY FRESH! OH, YES!
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 3:22PM
niktay
These are all great ideas. I just wish I had more of an eye for these touches that really make a room!
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 3:22PM
PRO
Design & Decor By Shelley
I love the colour in this space. Mixes well with almost any colour you choose. I have attached a piece of art as an example to add some zest to the room. I agree the hanging wall baskets are too small for this wall..Possibly move them to a narrower wall? Whichever colour you choose to accent this space make sure you add touches of the colour ie..cushions, sofa throw blanket..
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 3:25PM
PRO
Dezign Studio Inc
How does the 4th wall look. Can you post a picture of the wall or view opposite the shelves?.
May be you can reposition the Piano.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 3:33PM