powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Hunter husband wants Copenhagen office? Is this Impossible?
laurabarajas
January 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My hunter husband loves the Copenhagen look and modern look. He wants his office to look put together but I think this is impossible. He's willing to put somethings in garage but is pretty attached to displaying the bear somehow. He also has family firefighting framed pictures. So we need help. The carpet is going we would love wood floors and I love the darker floors. This is the first room in a whole house face lift. 1) does the desk /could the desk work? 2) does the floor in the office need to match our master bedroom floor? They are at the end of the same hallway, I will provide picture. 3) paint colors need suggestions and or inspiration photos. 4) I believe the safe is staying its maroon 5) between the dbl closet, window and dbl doors wall space is limited, how do I deal wit that?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
laurabarajas
This is the end of a downstairs hallway. Small hallway to left I exit through garage, office straight ahead master to right
January 24, 2013 at 12:20pm   
laurabarajas
This is the end of the hallway, office straight ahead master to right ( which is next in the list of makeovers) question is do the floors in the master and office need to match? I love the dark wood look. Would it be to much to have the same floor in hallway and both bedrooms?
January 24, 2013 at 12:23pm   
laurabarajas
The desk
January 24, 2013 at 12:28pm     
laurabarajas
Fan has an industrial look which we like
January 24, 2013 at 12:30pm   
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
It would not only be alright to have the same wood flooring in the two bedrooms and the hallway, it is the preferred way to do it. But be careful about how dark you go with the wood flooring as really dark wood floors are kind of like black rugs, they show EVERYTHING!

Hunter hubby is going to have to clean up his act if he wants a more modern look in his office. I would edit his deer heads down to whatever will fit in the area above the door into the room That way hub can see them, but you won't view them from the hall..

Then I would remove everything that is hanging on the left (closet) wall, including the shelves. Hang whatever flat items (pictures and hides) he wants on the right hand wall.

Leave the gun safe, the desk and chairs on the floor. Remove everything else! I'd like you to paint the window wall and the closet wall an accent color. I'm thinking a nice green which should go well with
Cabela maroon. Take a look at Sherwin-Williams Koi Pond SW7727. Tell hub it looks like pond scum. A hunter should be able to relate to that. :)
January 24, 2013 at 3:01pm   
laurabarajas
Thank u for the input. It's been a great debate between the two of us about the floor matching. Yea I win! What the best way to go about finding the right color floor? By the furniture first or pick the floor And match the furniture ?
January 24, 2013 at 6:50pm   
PRO
The furniture and the floor should not match but should be friendly with one another. Take a look at a bunch of houzz photos of hardwood floors. The only time I truly try to find something boring is when I'm looking for hardwood flooring. Then I try to find a medium brown that is not too red and not too yellow. Actually a walnut color is great. I also like hickory pecan flooring because it has such an array of different colors in it that it will go with almost any other wood finish.

The reason I usually go for boring in hardwood flooring is for longevity. Look at the wood in 50 and 100 year old houses. That's what you want! No one hated it and pulled it out. It's still around and looking great.
January 24, 2013 at 7:01pm   
laurabarajas
Here are some of the photos that caught my eye in houzz we have a white Copenhagen couch in formal lv room and a dark brown couch in family room also dark bedroom furniture as u can see in previous pic. I know that's getting away from the office but If the floors are going to be the same through out house I need to decide now.
January 24, 2013 at 7:27pm   
laurabarajas
More
January 24, 2013 at 7:28pm   
PRO
I like the flooring in the kitchen above. It's a nice neutral brown. The others look lovely but also appear to be a cleaning nightmare.
January 24, 2013 at 7:38pm   
putter2
The Copenhagen look spells bleached floors and light furniture to me.....maybe a glass-top desk on distressed wood or metal supports. Just have an arranged plan for the animals. Maybe cream grasscloth in the walls.
January 24, 2013 at 7:44pm     
laurabarajas
okay cleaning has come up many times recently. definently somethiing to think about. do u have any ideas of other routes we can explore and keep a modern look? the commenters always seem to find pictures that i havent seen before on houzz. im frutstrated and need ideas. im not 100% commited to wood either although it would be wonderful we do have a 9&15year and a american bulldog. wood may just not be smart?
January 24, 2013 at 7:45pm   
putter2
.....and a thin striped rug....
January 24, 2013 at 7:45pm   
laurabarajas
also we had considered stained concrete but the few we have seen in friends homes looks weird and unevenly done
January 24, 2013 at 7:47pm   
laurabarajas
i love the grass cloth in the pics that ive seen, if its what im thinking it is and would love to put some texture in the room with it. do you have any links or photos for examples?
January 24, 2013 at 7:49pm   
laurabarajas
i reallly like this lighter floor is this still considered modern?
January 24, 2013 at 8:12pm   
putter2
Check out grasscloth samples at a wallpaper store.....the animals would look good on it, and it would be masculine.
January 24, 2013 at 9:06pm   
mveasey
I love the floor you have pictured!
I will attach some photos of rooms/offices that are fairly modern, that could all have the taxidermy displayed in it, or do have some.
What is your husbands more specific understanding of "copenhagen"? The wood? Certain type of chair? Colour? That would help to narrow it down. The other question is, if this is just an office for himself, or does he see clients at your home as well? I see two chairs in front of the desk...
January 24, 2013 at 10:10pm   
Jean Tuck
Lower left is good with bookcases and desk, can live without anything that has animal carcasses in it. Guess thats because I not a sporty hunter.
January 24, 2013 at 10:20pm   
laurabarajas
No clients office just for personal use, the chairs were hand me downs from MIL, they are mismatched, I think I see a garage sale in their future. Okay so I say Copenhagen because we've gone there for our furniture but to narrow it down, brushed nickel, black and grays but im trying to get him to warm it up, i don't like the sterile look, straight lines, unique looks. Umm, I'll show pick of bedroom furniture from there.
January 25, 2013 at 5:06am   
PRO
Here's what grasscloth looks like. Texture is a necessary ingredient in the contemporary look. It isn't just the blacks and grays and stainless steel. You can and should add texture, such as grasscloth on the walls, or a single wall. It will warm up the space nicely.

And with hardwood floors, area rugs are another way to add texture. You said you wanted dark wood floors, but have you considered light ones instead, such as maple? Oatmeal Grasscloth Wallpaper Maple Engineered Floor
January 25, 2013 at 7:00am   
laurabarajas
now leaning towards stained concrete, would grasscloth still be an option?
here are my ideas:
1) hallway and remainder of downstairs flooring of wood or stained concrete. Office and bedroom stained concrete flooring that would be modern, same in both rooms. Adding rugs for texture and color
2) find a desk that works better, possibly one that is "L" shaped and could run the wall and out into the room. Hubby requires that he looks out not to a wall or out the window. OR find a sleak modern desk and storage as in the picture above with the arragment of heads and the storage place under the window??
3) framed picture on the window wall?
4) does the window need curtains/panels???
5) do the closet doors need to be left white or painted?
January 25, 2013 at 12:47pm   
mveasey
Personally, I would stay away from concrete. I don't know what climate you live in, but it is cold and hard. I would stay with wood floors. There was an idea book today that showed the Wegner wishbone chairs. They come in black as well.very Scandinavian and would fit his colour scheme.
January 25, 2013 at 1:07pm   
laurabarajas
we are in az, so cool is a good thing. I'll look for those chairs too
January 25, 2013 at 1:09pm   
PRO
Twisted Minds Custom Designs
Concrete is anything but cold and hard, it is actually very warm and inviting. Concrete in the traditional thinking of sidewalks and driveways is vastly different from what a skilled concrete artisan can produce on a finished floor. There are many options to choose from, can be installed textured to glass smooth, colored, or stained in an endless array of styles to achieve any look you can imagine. And due to concretes thermal abilities it can cool in the day and warm in the evening by transfering the earths energy through its mass evenly and comfortably. There should be plenty of skilled contractors in your area that would gladly meet with and discuss all the wonderful options concrete can provide. In addition, for your hunter husband, images or favorite outddor decals could be placed on the fllor as a centerpiece. If you decide to go with tile, you could also do something similar to the tile inlay I created for another hunter's hearth. More pictures on my home page. I hope this gives youi a better insight on concretes use in the home.
January 25, 2013 at 1:53pm   
stormyroses
Needs to be brighter in there
January 25, 2013 at 2:10pm   
PRO
I'm in Austin, Texas, where a client was telling me this afternoon how much she loved walking around on her smooth, cool concrete floors.
January 25, 2013 at 2:52pm     
PRO
If you're trying to go contemporary, you'll need to change all of your doors and probably your door hardware to a more contemporary look. You may also want to change your baseboards and the trim around your doors and windows. We really need to see the exterior of your home and more of the inside in order to properly advise you on the feasibility of a big change. In fact, you should probably seek the advice of a local interior designer to assist you.
January 25, 2013 at 2:57pm   
laurabarajas
I can take pictures soon of exterior. And i agree the hardware will definently be changed. As far as changing doors what would u suggest. Can I get "sleeker" doors? Where?
January 25, 2013 at 3:00pm   
PRO
Laura, here are three doors, the first of which is the most contemporary. It's a simple slab style door. The next door has 5 shaker style panels, and the third one has two shaker style panels. You can usually buy doors through a good lumber yard or a store specializing in doors. Online, you can look at doors at www.supadoor.com
Super Door by Lualdi Porte Traditional Bedroom A Playful Palette
January 25, 2013 at 3:14pm     
putter2
Stained concrete sounds cold and cemetery-like........warm the room up with the texture of grasscloth as I mentioned yesterday.
January 25, 2013 at 3:21pm   
laurabarajas
I really like the third one for the dbl door( and I'm assuming that we will need another set for the master) and that lead me to some great links for the closet doors. Will need to replace those also. Thank u for pointing me in the right direction. I was thinking if I put my effort into some nice closet doors and address one wall with grasscloth then the other 3 walls can stay a neutral lighter gray tone. What do u think?
January 25, 2013 at 3:24pm   
PRO
I would not recommend changing just those doors. I think if you want to go contemporary, you should be making a commitment to change ALL the doors in the house, and change them all to the same style.
January 25, 2013 at 4:34pm   
laurabarajas
Right, I thought about that after posting at least the downstairs for now. 8 doors for now.
January 25, 2013 at 5:59pm   
PRO
Okay, the downstairs is a good start. I'll be eager to see the exterior photos.
January 25, 2013 at 7:56pm   
laurabarajas
I'll try to take tomorrow , I'm not home today. I've posted other Delimas here also kitchen and family room. If u can find them u can see other parts of the house.
January 25, 2013 at 8:37pm   
Jay Van Daley
Go with the sit/stand desk from Copenhagen. I love mine.
January 25, 2013 at 8:53pm   
laurabarajas
So wouldn't you know it's pouring here today but to my surprise the picture worked out. We are at the end of a cul de sac. The lot sold us in a world were your window often now sits 10 ft from your neighbors window. I also found these unique doors, are they modern? I want to explore putting sliding doors on a exterior track for the closet doors. I'm not sure how much space I need or if its doable.
January 26, 2013 at 7:07am   
PRO
Thanks, Laura, for going out in the rain to get this picture of your lovely home. Yes, you should be able to give this home a more contemporary look on the interior. I like that the doors above have a single panel, but if you'll go back to the Supa Door website, I'd prefer that you select a very similar door with "S" sticking and the "F2" panel, which is a really clean shaker door style. It's less fussy around the panel than the one above.
January 26, 2013 at 7:28am   
PRO
Laura, where are you located?
January 26, 2013 at 7:29am   
laurabarajas
Az, Phoenix
January 26, 2013 at 7:42am   
laurabarajas
what is "s" sticking and F2?
January 26, 2013 at 3:37pm   
Jam and Bread
I would suggest to Hubby that he abandon the "caveman" look altogether! This is 2013. There are so many gorgeous looks you could go for and you want to carry a theme throughout your home. Houzz has thousands of ideas to choose from. It could be rather unsettling for guests to see dead animals around the room.
January 26, 2013 at 3:55pm   
groveraxle
An idea for your closet doors: an Ikea hack. I did it in my laundry room to hide the washer/dryer/water heater/utility sink. Here are the instructions: http://www.ikeahackers.net/2012/04/pax-closet-doors-no-bottom-rail.html
January 26, 2013 at 4:20pm     
PRO
The F2 panel and S sticking are the technical identifications of the the type door I think you need and might like from Supa Door. Otherwise you might end up with something quite different from what I think you want.
January 26, 2013 at 4:27pm   
inkwitch
Maybe I"m the only one that considers this, but concrete floors sound interesting, but drop something breakable, andyou can kiss it goodbye. Do you have children? A fall could be more painful. I'm just not too keen on concrete floors where there's a choice.

Actually, a warm light gray sounds like a good color for the office, with a maroon safe, and maybe pops of yellow, orange, or cobalt blue. "Manly" doesn't have to be predictable. What colors are you using in the rest of the house? Do you have a color palette yet? It helps minimize errors and repainting (or frustration) by making a planning board/book; paint chips (don't expect it to look the same on your walls so test), photos of curtains, furniture, rugs, accessories; fabric swatches (furniture stores will usually provide them) of sofa, chairs. It will keep you focused, but as your choices change, so can the book/board.

Hub may love his trophies, and they have cropped up as decorative items lately, but agree with whoever suggested they be hung on "inside" wall of hall door so that he can enjoy them, but they aren't visible casually.

Modern is sleek and minimalist accessories. DOesn't sound as if that's going to work with family memorabelia, etc. Have you considered turning one of the closets into a shelved alcove for all that? Small carpentry would make it look original and built-in. Lower portion would provide storage space (for extra heads?)

Good luck. DOn't rush it. It will come together.
January 26, 2013 at 4:34pm   
PRO
I hesitate to say this as I know bad luck could shower down upon my head, but if you drop a breakable object, it IS likely to break whether it falls upon concrete or whatever. I think that Laura has some design challenges ahead of her which might be best met by hiring a local interior designer. Not that we are not happy to throw in our own opinions. We definitely are, but an on site designer could rapidly sum up for Laura what needs to be done and how.
January 26, 2013 at 5:16pm   
PRO
Twisted Minds Custom Designs
If this is hubby's office, and if he and your circle of friends are of the same social scene, whereas his trophies are the norm, let him display as he enjoys, the door is there to close if you have company over that it may offend. I don't see how concrete can seem cold and cemetary like, yet a majority of people clamour over granite as a high end classy home improvement. Also, concrete is of the same density as ceramic and porcelain tiled floors, and hardwood is not far behind, drop something breakable on most surfaces and it will break, hence the term breakable, a child falling on any of the same surfaces is also not going to think the concrete one is any worse. I don't want to sound mean-spirited but alot of the conversations I see on this site about concrete are just misinformed and it doesn't give the material and the talented experts that work with it a fair shake.
January 26, 2013 at 5:20pm   
laurabarajas
groveraxle _yes yes i just found that site today ikea hackers!! and yes i was thinking about the same thing for the closet doors. took measurements and the wall is 14' long. 1'5" wall-4'11" closet opening-1'7" wall- 4'11" closet opening- 1'1" wall

i'm lovin the barn door concept and would prefer to attempt that but how? i don't think the doors could overlap, i would need more wall?? OR i would just replace the current doors with ikea doors? would need to replace the tracks also i'm assuming. it doesn't sound to bad??
January 26, 2013 at 7:29pm   
laurabarajas
@inkwitch- there's neutral paint on ALL downstairs walls, we have not painted at all yet. family room and nook area have some reds (red chairs and such), living room dining room black and white so far. have held off with the "pop of color choice" until we can decide on the permanent stuff like floors and cabinet colors. didn't want to by decor only to replace later. I will take some pics with my phone, but keep in mind we plan on replacing floor and kitchen cabinets. the office is first though.

Carolynn's been a great help, although it seems like it going slow but i feel i'm making progress. i'm ready to take down these knick nacks and rip up the carpet to see the condition of the concrete.
i would like to figure out these closet doors, wondering if the middle 1'7" wall section needs to be removed? i think that depends on the style of doors i can find.
January 26, 2013 at 7:41pm   
laurabarajas
The little we have so far, formal living and dining ( I dream of dark floors underneath the white sectional and a fluffy rug, pop of color house TBD), the red chairs in the nook and family room. Floor to be changed kitchen to be changed. And another shot of the closet doors. Would they be considered the "focal point" ?
January 26, 2013 at 7:49pm   
laurabarajas
just want to say thanks again for all your help with the office, i wil post pics as we progress. I'm glad i at least now have a good direction to go. for anybody that is interested I would love your opionion on my kids playroom http://www.houzz.com/discussions/324263/Kids--9-15--upstairs-playroom--media-room
i have in another thread. I want to paint and hang curtians and make it a cool teen area.
thanks again!
January 28, 2013 at 5:22pm   
PRO
It's been a pleasure to help you as you were always handy with a response and that keeps us thinking about your dilemma. Thanks for making it so easy!
January 28, 2013 at 5:52pm   
laurabarajas
you've been great carolynn, and i hope i make you proud with the end result!
January 28, 2013 at 6:00pm     
PRO
I bet you will, Laura!
January 28, 2013 at 6:21pm   
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.