Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Bathroom update
lareneb
January 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is the master bathroom that I just moved in to. I would re-do everything if I could but for now I can live with the tile (off white almost a hint of pink with purple shells that have gold accents and a touch of blue) So I was thinking of going with purple and gold. Good idea?

I will tile the bathroom floor and paint the walls and replace the window covering.

I was thinking of starting off with a dark purple curtian with gold sash. Comments?

Maybe a very light gold tone for the walls?

What should the floor be?

Also, should I paint or stain the cabinets?

All and any ideas and comments are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
Lillian's Paintbrush
DEFINITELY paint the cabinet. Paint it white to blend in or go bold and Gold leaf the entire thing! Purple walls or metallic gold walls would be nice. Lusterstone would work for you, playing off the brass.
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 12:58PM
lareneb
I don't think I'm feeling bold enough to gold leaf the cabinets.
I could do white though.
White cabinets, gold lusterstone walls and purple curtain and towels.
Any ideas for the floor?

Thanks!!
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 5:21PM
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
The shiny brass is very distracting in what appears to be a very nice bathroom although I can't see the floor very well. If it was my bathroom the brass would have to go.
2 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 11:23PM
Marti Lindsey
I'd also paint the cabinets white and add some interesting knobs to the drawers and doors. Change the window covering. Plantation shutter in white if you can swing it or a roman shade to compliment your towels and mats.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 11:33PM
Manon Floreat
I actually like the brass. How about purple, brass and grey?

I think a white vanity, white walls that have a bit of grey in them and a white honeycomb floor with grey Greek key border would be a simple but strong foundation for a dusty plum accent - or any color you choose. I'd go for a simple white Roman shade for the window, with perhaps a Greek key trim.

The below photo shows the white honeycomb tile with the Greek key trim. In your situation, the hardware would be brass. I think it's a classic look.

0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 11:52PM
Walter Frazier
I'd paint the cabinets white. Remove the brass shower door and use a nice curtain and replace the gold/brass towel bar with something either neutral/chrome/stainless. Use a neutral flooring. I guess purple is because you are working with the color in the tile you already have rather than it being a color you prefer? Then I might suggest using purple towels and rugs since they are easy to change out if you do a tile redo. There is also epoxy tile paint.
2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 2:09AM
lareneb
Yes, purple is the chosen color because it is already in the tile and replacing those tiles sounds like a lot of work and money. I don't like the brass, but thought if I go with purple and gold, the brass could pass for gold and tie it all in. maybe? I feel like purple brass and grey would be too conflicting. There is also gold in the tile that you can't see in the picture. I'm torn about the cabinets. I like the idea of white, but perhaps I should try sussana Suggestion of painting the wall first and see if that ties them in better. A shower curtain and replacing all the brass would work for me too. I could see a white plantation shutter or roman shade on the window. The floor is currently tan carpet so it will definitely go! If I paint the cabinets white, I could do white tile? All white with purple accents. Or if I leave them dark with purple or gold walls I could do the floor in??

Thanks for all of your comments and suggestions!!!
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 10:13AM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would recommend staying away from a real wood blinds in the washroom. It will warp and chip from the humidity in the washroom . However they do make Fauxwood blinds in the same colors to match which is a much better idea it will last you a long time and it will not warp or chip.
Hampton Bay (Home Depots brand) has a great selection at a great price.

http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto.html
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 10:39AM
Danielle B
You are in luck Iareneb! Mauves, pinks and brass are all in these days. You get to save money on this project. All you need is an updated colour scheme on the walls and accessories to match. For wall paint, check out Candice Olsen's palette for Benjamin Moore. My suggestions: Tempest, Sanctuary and Amazon Soil. These would go perfectly in your space. Keep the brass, wall tile, and cabinet colour as they are if they are in good shape. For a more current look, you could replace the stained glass inserts in your cabinet doors with frosted glass. Dark purple might be a tad dramatic for this space; a muted shade of purple would be more elegant.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 6:58PM
ktiquet
Wondering. What style your house is? I think that the floor could be any shade of white or even cararra it's a timeless look. I would also take the stained glass out unless you love it. If you did the tile yourself you would have enough $ to do the shower. Try going to a stone store and make friends there ask about defect stone and remnants. You can save 75% . Good luck remember any money put in your bath will up the value of your house better to get it done and be happy then waiting and living through a second redo.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:36PM
PRO
Shades IN Place
A Plantation shutter for your window with 3.5" louvers would give an open feeling to the room. You also could order the hinges on the same color as the other hardware / accessories and have a match : gold / brass / stainless steel / black or even keep the hinges white if you may prefer
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 4:23AM
More Discussions
Need source for architect desk lamp
Looking for an architect lamp to set on credenza. ...
Need help updating living room
We are working on decorating our living room. Looking...
Grout color
I need help deciding on grout color!!! There are 4...
Hanging a Wreath on an outside Custom wood door
I would love to hang a wreath for the Christmas season....but...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.