Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
need help decorating my living room.
nal caan
January 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi, i need help decorating my living room. i live in a small appartment and i don't have any storage space at all.. my living room is also a playroom for my 2 toddlers... any suggestions would be great..

thanks
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
decoenthusiaste
Do you plan to continue with the carpet squares, or is that just a way to cover the hardwoods due to the playroom use of the space?
January 24, 2013 at 1:03PM   
carole
the alcove with the playhouse in it,would be a great space to have storage,and maybe a consoletable(the one in the pict. is extendeable) with a boxseat,on the wall where the little chairs are,it will be a good place to store the smaller toys and you can also use it as a desk and the kids ,once they are a little bigger can use that too!!the carpetsquares are a very good idea,maybe put a colorfull rug over them,you are right in wanting to protect your kids and the floor.
January 24, 2013 at 1:31PM     
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
Is the alcove intended for dining? Do you have a table to eat in another room? If so that area would be a great place for some closed storage. I really prefer closed storage in a situation like this with maybe some open cubbies for toys. It keeps the cluttered look under control. The square floor pads are a great way to protect little ones who are just getting stability. It likely isn't your long term look but I get it. Look for furniture pieces that will contain everything in a style you can enjoy for now and add some interest through posters or artwork as well as some side panels to soften the window wall.
January 24, 2013 at 1:40PM   
carole
something i think your house needs is more personal items,was thinking maybe a photowall (or the kids drawings)on the wall straight ahead,it could hold a cabinet or shoerack(a.i.pict)and as the kids get older they will have more places to go and you will be the one taken them and picking them up and so on,how about a chalkboard on the wall inbetween the 2 doors to keep track (and to see where you have 5 minutes to yourself!!)
put a small table underneath so you have keys, phonenumbers/adresses and such all in the one place
i chose the mirrored furniture because of your chandelier,but not sure if that would be what you like..
January 25, 2013 at 6:39AM   
Jayme H.
A large area rug, and a big storage ottoman
January 25, 2013 at 7:32AM     
Jayme H.
And a storage unit in the alcove...would try for one with some closures/not all open so u can put all the toys and stuff in there.
January 25, 2013 at 7:55AM   
Dar Eckert

Storage in the alcove as Carole suggested. Use the foam flooring in that area and get a screen to put infront of the alcove when you want an adult living room. A large ottoman and large rug so that it can define the seating area as Jayme suggested. Rotate your sofa to face the window and put the TV on the short wall next to the windows. Get another small chair for the wall to the left of the window and maybe a pouf or stool for extra seating next to the coffee table on the right.
January 25, 2013 at 7:59AM   
PRO
Activated Decor Inc.
First thing to go is the TV Cabinet. Everyone gets stuck in a rut with those things. Take your TV and have it come OUT of the cabinet. This will give you even more space to hide things and keep the cords all hidden away keeping the room safe.

Good Luck with it.
January 25, 2013 at 12:42PM