powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Do not know how to decorate this OUTDATED dry bar!
tktorre1
January 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am moving into an older apartment that has a mirrored dry bar taking up one wall of the living room walls. I feel like it cheapens the apartment by making it look outdated. There is SO much counter and shelf space. If the mirror were not behind it It wouldnt feel so old. Even if I used it to stock some of my wine bottles and some wine glasses there is SO much more space to be used. Decorations? frames? I am a college student and open to fun or sophisticated ideas.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
TanCalGal
Here R some photos http://www.houzz.com/photos/living/dry-bar-

I wouldn't change the outdated dry bar. You'll be out of there in 4 years. If U spend too much time re-decorating, though, U might find yourself on the 6 year plan.... ;)
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 5:30PM
collettec
Perhaps one possibility would be to use a starched fabric as a "removable wallpaper" on the back of the shelving unit. Some info about that: http://www.thethriftress.com/2011/03/how-not-to-apply-fabric-wallcovering.html
Another option would be to use the shelving as gallery wall shelves to place eg: framed black and white or color prints, photos, etc, along the walls next to each other. Can even stagger by shelf. Eg bar accesssories on base, light books on second shelf, framed prints on top, etc. As well, you might want to look on houzz under shelf decor for ideas.
2 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 5:53PM
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
I have a similar bar in my condo in FL. I bought some cool Art Deco bar sets.Mixed in really great stemware and Crystal bar glasses. Add to that a good selection of top shelf spirits. Put in a wine rack for those good bottles. Then invite over some friends!
3 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 6:08PM
PRO
Nest Design Inc.
House Beautiful featured 10 Home Bar Decor display ideas. You might find this helpful. http://www.housebeautiful.com/photos/beach-basket-bar#slide-2
I think I would take off the glass shelves and display the bar items (wine, glasses, etc.) in a tray or basket on the countertop. (CB2 has super cool silver trays) Then buy two large vases (in a fun color to match your decor) and go with a symmetrical design approach for height with willow branches, they dry a nice dark brown. No water required. If you own artwork I would overlap the artwork in a grouping of three each being a different size. Lean the artwork against the mirror (centered).
Have fun shopping!
2 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 6:33PM
PRO
Nest Design Inc.
Here is an example of the artwork layered look.
3 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 6:39PM
tktorre1
Thank you ALL for your great ideas! i dont feel doomed :)
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 5:09PM
PRO
Scott Design, Inc.
Consider removing the glass shelves and the mirror. Paint wall with accent color. Replace with randomly positioned floating shelves of various lengths on hidden brackets and include a shelf with a stemware rack like attached photo. Place wine bottles, frames, books, artwork, etc. on the shelves.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 6:43PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Purchase 2 or 4 wine racks like those in the photo. They have them in a tray style. Place on shelves, symetrically, on each side put 2 on each side, on glass shelves. Place your wine, oops no wine, candles etc. on counter top. Add your candles, books, tree and vases ---- but don't clutter - they're nice. Leave some bare space. Other shelving for large personal treasures and use a shelf for cookbooks or reading books. Inexpensive way to change the function and appearance. Might get at Target or Bed Bath n Beyond, JC Penney, Discount stores.

2 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:09PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Another inexpensive idea
or ..... If you like these, buy stick-on decals in choice and place in a center section only, top to bottom. don't put anything in front of decals, top to bottom.

0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:31PM
mveasey
I love the bar. It looks as though it belongs there. Can you paint the cupboards? I think intentional decorating is the way to go!
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 7:52PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Also can add 3 art pieces above the mirror to help balance the weight of the dark cabinets. Colored frames would be fun.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 8:01PM
PRO
LB Interiors
I have a thing for beautiful covered boxes and containers. Nate Berkus and I agree. May use a couple in the arrangement. You can hide anything in them. Beautiful colors, wild patterns, sophisticated fabrics and on and on. Metal or glass are great too.
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 8:19PM
PRO
hoot n' anny home
Great ideas!
If you want to save money...I suggest you either take the mirror down and paint a fun/elegant chalkboard wall, perhaps frame it out. OR if you keep the mirror, I would take the shelves down and replace with chunky salvaged wood shelves OR (the most inexpensive) take the glass shelves down and cover the old strip bracket with two long pieces of interesting artwork and keep the mirror in tact. OR I liked that idea of tall vases and willow branches to cover those old brackets as well! Good luck!!
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 8:24PM
PRO
sarah
if u want it sophisticated bar and fun at the same time than make the wood off white and than alot of the other accessories as i like to call them u can have turqiuse .i did it for one of my clients because they hhad the same proble.m . and they loved it y the way go on my post its a really important question
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 8:31PM
PRO
LB Interiors
My statement above was - I have a thing for beautiful covered boxes and containers. Nate Berkus and I agree. May use a couple in the arrangement. You can hide anything in them. Beautiful colors, wild patterns, sophisticated fabrics and on and on. Metal or glass are great too.

This one's fun, adds brightness, energy and color to dark hall space.

2 Likes   January 29, 2013 at 11:55PM
PRO
LB Interiors
Have Fun with the project!
1 Like   January 29, 2013 at 11:57PM
PRO
LB Interiors
A couple of containers on the shelves and for storage.
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 7:46PM
yvonnecmartin
You could cut foamboard to it the open spaces, paint it or cover it with either with print fabric or wall paper. Then you could use the shelves for your books, photographs, and boxes. When you move, you will just take the foamboard with you or toss it. Is there room for your tv on the bottom shelf?
0 Likes   January 31, 2013 at 8:04PM
collettec
Really like LB Interior's box idea - it's so fun and vibrant!
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 7:32AM
PRO
LB Interiors
Thanks emcz
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 9:31AM
sjkingston
Since this is rental, you must restore it to the original condition unless you have your landlord's permission. Do not try to take the mirror down as if you are successful, you'd have to store it and it is huge and heavy. If it was glued on (common for the '70s era) it is dangerous to remove if you are not experienced. If the glass shelves are not fixed, then you can slide them forward and put the foam board behind as previously suggested and you could paint, stencil, wallpaper or cover with fabric. Then place your books, etc back on the shelves and treat it as a built in. Another option would be to get a thin board cut to size and use chalkboard paint to create something you could write on between the stored glasses and wine bottles. While it would be great to paint the wood out, again it's the landlord's call and it's doubtful he/she would allow, so working with the color of the wood rather than fighting it is the best option. (Landloords will work with long term renters, but tend to be strict with student tenants due to turnover and sometimes bizarre painting ideas or quality of paint job.)
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 10:31AM
little01jk
turn it into a coffee car. get a great coffee machine mugs and a tray. like a mini cafe
2 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 10:42AM
tktorre1
LB Interiors thanks! Love nate Burkus!!
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 11:05AM
tktorre1
Yvonne C Martin yes there is room for a t.v but I would like to hang it on the wall :) I love the foam board Idea!! thank you
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 11:09AM
tktorre1
little01jk love the coffee bar idea!!
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 11:09AM
More Discussions
What to do in foyer?
This is the foyer in our front entrance. We typically...
Grout Questions ?
If anyone has some grout questions I would be happy...
Picture Going Up Stairs
I have a picture that I would like to hang on the landing...
AMORE placement
I have 10' ceilings and need help with AMORE signage...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.