Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Entry Hall - Any rules on lighting?
nickerpicker
January 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This is my first home and i have never decorated before. :)

I am aiming for a modern feel with a subtle rustic element (on a budget - this home is by no means an architectural masterpiece). Walls will be Dulux Antique White USA. Floor tiles are Euphoria Cement.

I have quite a long entry hall and would like to install some feature lighting.
There are only two ceiling light points in the hall - one between the entry door and first bulkhead, and another between the first and second bulkhead (see photo).

I want to keep this very simple, so my thoughts are to use an LED downlight in the first light point, and in the second hang a feature pendant (see photo).

I feel that this would give a good visual impact when entering, but wonder if it would look out of balance?????
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
mcbride2304
How does the white of the shade match the white of your walls.?
January 24, 2013 at 3:46pm   
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
I think repetition would serve you well here. By choosing one piece and repeating it in the second area the eye will visually connect the two and draw your eye down the hall leading you in to the space beyond. I would prefer something flush mount of semi flush mount but I am guessing at your ceiling height.
January 24, 2013 at 3:47pm   
yfuoco
It looks like you might still be under renovation have you thought about pot lights and perhaps a couple of sconces? Since this is the entrance to your home you might want to think about a console to drop off mail etc...perhaps with art or mirror above flanked by a couple of sconces. The pot lights will help with light distribution instead of just one single source which might be quite dark given the length on the hall.
January 24, 2013 at 4:00pm   
nickerpicker
Thank you everyone for the prompt responses!

mcbride2304 - this pendant is an example of the style I hope to use, but to be honest I haven't yet checked to see if it would work with the walls. I am not entirely sure of the rules of matching whites but believe warm and cool whites together should be avoided. Would you agree??

Judith - Ceiling height is 2400mm, and I was concerned a pendant like this may hang too low also. Maybe my need for a lovely pendant should be directed towards my dining area.

yfuoco - Unfortunately the photo is about a month and a half old now. This is the first home my partner and i have had built, and in hindsight there are many things we wish we would have considered prior to construction! ie sufficient lighting in the hall! As inexperienced first home buyers, everything looks different on paper. :)
January 24, 2013 at 4:35pm   
mcbride2304
Have you asked the electrician about ceiling pot lights? It might not be too late. I agree that a console table in the hall would be great, especially with a lamp or maybe two for lighting but you would need to have an outlet. Maybe this can still be done. It might give you more flexibility.
January 24, 2013 at 4:45pm   
Manon Floreat
I agree with repeating the light fixtures down the hall and believe that semi or flush mount will best for your ceiling height.

January 24, 2013 at 4:48pm   
PRO
Deborah Vanderzel Designs
I like the continuity also, I found these modern style fixtures you may like
Good Luck
January 24, 2013 at 8:01pm   
More Discussions
Do you believe that some houses have "bad energy?"
Do you believe that there is just something about some...
I will NEVER have _____ in my home!
What's the one thing (or a few things) you refuse to...
Please help! How can I make my bedroom look cosy and just better!
Hi I'm a teenager and would love some advice on how...
Bathroom Walls
Hello everyone, I would like to ask what can of paint...
Jignesh
I need to help for repar my house perapit. kindly...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.