Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Help with new wood floor for sale prep.
cosmera
January 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am getting ready to sell my home and need to install new floors. It is going in the kitchen, living and dining rooms. I have honey oak cabinets and trim.
I also have a dog and two boys, so I don't want to go with anything too dark that will show every scuff and mark. Do I stay with a light oak or is that too matchy matchy???

Help
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Distinguished Flooring LLC
Light oak is possibly the best color based on your comment. Also, you may want to explore laminate flooring due to your active household.
January 24, 2013 at 3:58PM     
elklaker
If you are selling it, speak to some realtors in the area to see what their clients are looking for. In many areas, a darker stain is preferable. The cabinets may be painted or replaced but few people want to take on restaining or replacing flooring. Get some local opinions.
January 24, 2013 at 4:03PM     
Jayme H.
May I ask why you are putting in hardwood if you are selling?
January 24, 2013 at 4:16PM   
stitzcrew
I agree about cabinets. Oak cabs scream dated with the very grainy look. Painting a neutral color will help. Even though I despise oak for cabinets and furniture, it will work really well with floors. I would find a stain somewhere in the middle of too dark and too light. Also I would highly recommend buying a matching range to go with the other nice looking appliances. Painted cabinets and new countertops (inexpensive depending on what is in surrounding homes) will make a kitchen feel new. Spend money on the things that will return and you will get it back easy and sell your house faster. If you are a DIYer you could add a simple backsplash too which will always look appealing if not too funky. Goodluck
January 24, 2013 at 4:23PM   
cosmera
I am putting in replacing the hardwood that is already in the rest of the area aside from the kitchen, it was the engineered wood, put in at it's infancy and wore really poor. So, since the linoleum must go we decided to take the wood into the kitchen too,
January 24, 2013 at 4:26PM     
PRO
Cancork Floor Inc.
How 'bout a click-together stone floor? Yep. Same install as laminate, but with the full "show" of slate or mica?

Cork is also a beautiful choice. So long as the dog's is medium sized and has trimmed up nails, there should be very little problem with scratching.
January 24, 2013 at 4:29PM     
cosmera
I will be replacing the stove and the counters once the flooring is done. I intend to do a tan granite or quartz counter. I have already tiled the bathrooms since they had linoleum and painted much of the house already. I don't have the budget to paint the cabinets too. Do you think a darker oak, like almost a walnut would look ok or should I go more towards a solid, less grainy look?
January 24, 2013 at 4:30PM   
stitzcrew
i would go a little darker b/c the grain usually soaks up stain and will always look darker depending on the cut of the flooring. Do some samples and see what will go best with the rest of the kitchen and home. If you have wood trim instead of white that may dictate stain color as well. Painting should not eat up much money but will eat up your time. I would do quartz which is usually a little cheaper and non porous compared to granite. If you are going to spend the money on the countertops it would be best to update the cabinets somehow if you can find time to paint. Most people will see the nice countertops which will only make your cabinets look more dated. I feel that wood floors in a kitchen look best when there is a contrasting cabinet color that is not wood tone. Avoid any laminate if you can since you are looking at putting in a higher end countertop. Although good for pets it will not likely win favor with buyers. Granite/Quartz countertops and laminate floors should not go together. If you go with a slightly less expense granit/quartz and use that for cabinet update it will net your a greater return. Sounds like you are doing many good things catch the buyers eyes.
January 24, 2013 at 4:59PM     
Jayme H.
I think oak color like the cabinets would be too much. I think darker/or a different material would be better.
January 24, 2013 at 5:15PM   
cosmera
I love the laminate idea, but I already have tile in the laundry, a different tile in the entry, and matching tile in both main floor bathrooms. I have a ranch/rambler so it is all on one level.
January 24, 2013 at 6:12PM   
cosmera
The top sample is the same color as my cabinets and trims. What is the verdict for the best choice for flooring?
January 24, 2013 at 6:21PM   
Jayme H.
Afraid to comment since the samples are so small and it is difficult to visualize it on a large scale. .however, I have been googling pics and it does appear that in pics with similar cabinets in tone and style as yours, a closer match looked better than a distinctly different color.
January 24, 2013 at 6:30PM   
stitzcrew
I myself would avoid the two that are on the top and top right b/c they really show the grain. The other three are more subtle and don't have really heavy tiger stripe grain. I would avoid matching the cabinets so you can have contrast with the floor. Your 4 new samples are a pretty good for darkness. I would say you could match if your cabinets had a more updated style of wood. If you search butcher block countertops you can see good pics where they contrast two different wood colors...same with flooring.
January 24, 2013 at 7:14PM   
Jayme H.
I suggest you "google" wood floor with wood cabinets and look at the pictures. Some have similar tones and some do not. Try to find the ones with cabinets close to your color of stain. Then at least u can have some idea what things look like on a larger scale.
January 24, 2013 at 7:17PM   
cosmera
Hey Jayme, I did google before I made this post,. Seems most of it has light (usually painted) cabinets with dark floor. Or light oak floor with dark cabinets, but no light oak cabinets with dark floors. What I found looks mostly like oak cabs and matching floors.....
January 24, 2013 at 7:24PM   
stitzcrew
put this in your houzz search "CCFF BEFORE & AFTERS" there are good examples of before and afters of oak kitchens. It is hard to find good examples of light wood cabinets and wood floors.
January 24, 2013 at 7:34PM     
PRO
Eagledzines
If you decide not to paint the cabinets, then stay away from the stains that have red in them and go with the browns.
January 24, 2013 at 7:38PM   
Jayme H.
pics of what look like lighter floors with lighter cabinets
January 24, 2013 at 8:22PM   
Jayme H.
sorry two the same
January 24, 2013 at 8:23PM   
Jayme H.
and two more of similar tone/the one to the right has light and dark mixed
January 24, 2013 at 8:27PM   
Jayme H.
These look like darker floors
January 24, 2013 at 8:31PM   
yvonnecmartin
One thing that will update the kitchen is to remove the scalloped wood over the sink.
January 24, 2013 at 11:01PM     
Marti Lindsey
The darker the better. It seems the trend is dark floors.
January 24, 2013 at 11:04PM