Professionals
Users
Foyer question
Robyn Buxton
January 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
What do I need in this space.
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Manon Floreat
I think it's calling for a much larger and more substantial chandelier. You could also consider painting the ceiling a darker color to bring it down to scale.

January 24, 2013 at 4:05pm     
dmerrill
This is what me and the hubby think:
Buy a massive ceiling medallion pronto.
Add 16" min. layered crown molding.
Chandelier is too small.
Add picture frame wainscoting to the walls to break up the space.
Tall, thin trees where the mirror is currently with bench on the same wall. Installing sconces would also work if placed on either side of a mirror in this area.
Carpet runner the length of the hall.
Good luck!
January 24, 2013 at 4:06pm     
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
Yes, Manon has it right. Paint the walls lighter and the ceiling darker to balance the proportions. Then, the light fixture you have is too delicate to hold the space look for something to balance the visual weight of the doors.
January 24, 2013 at 4:08pm     
Robyn Buxton
Only problem is this space extends into our great room. So changing the color is not an option. But these walls are 20ft high. So what can we do besides crown and runners? What about a feature furniture piece
January 24, 2013 at 4:14pm   
Robyn Buxton
Here are more views of the space
January 24, 2013 at 4:24pm   
PRO
Winward Designs
A mirrored console table on the right wall with a lamp, and tall mirror with some flowers in a coral color would help define the space. We like mirrored so it will actually make the space wider. I would love to see daytime pictures to get a feel for how much light I'd coming in.
January 24, 2013 at 7:47pm     
Jayme H.
pics
January 24, 2013 at 8:07pm     
PRO
Hannah Gould
lighten the side walls at least(full sunlight and the room still looks dark) and make the door a focal point, i agree with the suggestion of a bigger pendant, maybe something that cascades down quite a bit, you definately have the height for it.
January 24, 2013 at 8:45pm     
PRO
Arbutus Interiors
The problem with this room is that the proportions make it feel like you are in a silo. To fight this feeling you should follow the suggestions to add more substantial light fixture I would choose a darker bronze or iron piece which would work well with the stairrailings, the one on the left above is very nice. Also paint the ceiling a darker tan colour. I also think that beefing up the door surround mouldings on the three doors will help bring some more white into the lower half of the room. The addition of an oversize mirror ( minimum 3'x6' ) on the right wall and a beautiful persian style area rug to keep the visual interest. Good luck with your decorating!
January 24, 2013 at 9:07pm     
PRO
NexTrend Design
I'm on the same wavelength as Winward & Jayme with a console table & mirror & some well chosen accessories. When looking for a new much larger chandelier, try to find something that forces the light to shine downward instead of upward. This will make your ceiling look darker without having to paint it. Small shades over each bulb that are very narrow on top and wide on the bottom should do the trick. The small shades also add bulk to the chandelier & make it seem even larger.

The existing small chandelier would look awesome hanging down from the ceiling above the console table beside & slightly above the mirror (providing it mixes well with your new large chandelier). An electrician that isn't afraid of heights would need to rewire it to the right location OR... a handyman could extend the chain by quite a bit & swing it over to the right wall above the console table & hang it on a hook in the ceiling (not quite as ideal as the 1st option but I can visualize it working).
January 24, 2013 at 9:54pm     
shaynak
Who makes the chandelier on the left from the post above?
January 25, 2013 at 9:47am     
Robyn Buxton
Jayme, I can really see my house with the pic on the left with the wrought iron table. Those features are throughout my home. Where did you find it?
January 25, 2013 at 10:13am   
PRO
Hannah Gould
@shaynak it's from Woodbridge. http://www.woodbridgelighting.com/ProductDetail.aspx?SKU=12514BLK-UTA888 but i initially found it on lighting direct
January 25, 2013 at 4:30pm   
Jayme H.
I have been attempting to locate this table..no name/website on pic..so far have not locate it...sorry..
January 25, 2013 at 4:41pm   
A tapestry or hooked rug would look nice on the large wall and would also cover a lot of space. Lovely home .
January 25, 2013 at 4:54pm   
Jayme H.
Still looking....I feel bad that u like it and I cannot find it!
January 25, 2013 at 6:53pm     
Jayme H.
I traced the console table to homesdecorter.com. However, it did not give me specific product information...they do have a pic of the table on their site and may be able to offer info on where it can be purchased.
January 26, 2013 at 8:38pm     
Jayme H.
I saw something similar at "Nieman Marcus" (Ouch..$)... ..but wasn't curved...the original pic of the table that I saw was a "pinterest" post someone had posted. Good luck on your lovely home!!
January 27, 2013 at 7:43am     
More Discussions
Cocktail Table Search
Where can I find a table similar to this one? Square...
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Upstairs, downstairs, stairs flooring
I recently upgraded upstairs floor to dark brown high...
what color should I paint my wall of the staircase in my lobby
I have 7 sitter sofa set of cofee color in d center...
Should sidelights on a front door be the same height as the door?
Imagine a horizontal plank door in the middle. This...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.