Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
My First Home What Can I Do With It?
wvintila79
January 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I am moving into my very own, very first home but have no idea what to do with it specially, since I'm on a bit of a budget...

Feel free to drop down ANY ideas you have for how you might decorate my new living room! All would be greatly appreciated as I have no idea where to start.

Many Many Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
elklaker
Do you have furniture? What is your style? A little more information will help to get you started.
Congratulations on your new home.
January 24, 2013 at 4:14pm   
Jayme H.
And do you want to repaint?
January 24, 2013 at 4:19pm   
PRO
Creations Nadia Interior Design
First,I would choose the colour. I don't think that two tones are right for that place( cuts it in half and makes the ceillings look too low). After that - for sure - pick up your style. Would you be able to provide some more info? Best regards.
January 24, 2013 at 4:24pm     
Jayme H.
In that large, sunny room you could do many colors!
January 24, 2013 at 4:33pm   
PRO
Judith Taylor Designs
You can do anything you want with this blank slate. How about giving us some direction about your lifestyle and what functions you want this space to provide. Is it your entertaining space? Do you watch television here?
January 24, 2013 at 4:37pm     
wvintila79
since this is my first home I'm basically starting from scratch... I have an old black leather sofa, an oak dinning room set, a nice bedroom set and a flat screen tv... lol
I don't have a "style" but I would like it to be comfortable and inviting.
January 24, 2013 at 6:00pm   
Jayme H.
pics
January 24, 2013 at 6:59pm     
PRO
Do you have to put your TV in this room or there is other room for that? Is it open consept or your Lving Room and Dining Room are separated?
January 24, 2013 at 7:00pm   
PRO
some ideas
January 24, 2013 at 7:19pm     
wvintila79
Unfortunately the living room and kitchen are together. Thanks for the advice about reprinting I was just going to leave it that way.
January 24, 2013 at 9:24pm   
nikitasmom
Try taking several more pics. One from the window at the end of your living room. One from the opposite end into the Living Room, One from the patio door to the dining room or whatever that is I see to the right in your panoramic shot. Is the wall curved? or is it the panoramic shot? Showing the entire space will help them to advise you on a great plan. Congrats on your new home. Mine was quite horrid with shag green carpet everywhere.
January 24, 2013 at 9:50pm   
wvintila79
It looks curved because its a panoramic pic... Thanks, I got lucky with this home it doesn't need much...
January 24, 2013 at 10:01pm   
Jean Tuck
Congrats on your new home. Area rug for centre flooring , love flooring, this rug would be the area I would put my seating area. A nice sofa color to be whatever color pulled from color in patternd drapes . A plant/tree in corner by an electric fireplace, end tables same color as wood floors and Tv stand.Tall lamp by easy chair for ready or knitting. Small bookcases either side of fireplace same color as white fireplace. Throw cushions to match lower color on walls.Just my opinion.
January 24, 2013 at 10:29pm   
Jennifer Hogan
I am guessing you do have a style. You just don't own furniture.

Start by looking in your closet and at the things you own that you love.

You want your home to reflect your personality. Are you a blue jean and t-shirt gal or crushed velvet and lace? Does your closet contain a rainbow of jewel tone colors or muted greens and tans? Do you wear big clunky jewelry or delicate jewelry? How do you envision yourself spending time in your home? Does your 5 or 10 year plan include children or pets?

Many of the magazines have beautiful pictures of designer white rooms, but most of us don't live white lives. When your looking at pictures of rooms don't just look at the picture, place yourself in the room - does it make you feel comfortable?

Once you know what style you want then you can move on to color. Again, I suggest looking in your closet. Pick out a few colors make your heart sing. Use those colors to build a pallet for your home.
January 24, 2013 at 11:07pm   
PRO
FurnitureNYC
Hi! Congratulations on your new home. If you need any furniture, please contact us. We have a great selection of home furniture and accessories. http://www.furniturenyc.net
January 25, 2013 at 1:42am   
wvintila79
definitely a jeans and t-shirt girl. closet has lots of purples, reds and browns. i prefer small jewelry, nothing to big or flashy. time at home with my daughter and lots of family gatherings. Thanks for the advice.
January 25, 2013 at 12:24pm   
elklaker
If you are keeping your black sofa then I would recommend looking for a rug to anchor the room. From there you can choose a paint color. I agree with one of the posts that the wall color needs to be the same on the top and bottom. That will then get you started on choosing the rest of your furnishings. I would stick with a warm neutral for the wall color and add pops of your favorite colors with artwork and accessories. Have fun.
January 25, 2013 at 12:56pm   
Jennifer Hogan
I just looked at your ideas book and you are a lot like me! I have a ton of Reds and Purples in my winter wardrobe. My summer wardrobe is fun - Lyme greens and clear yellows and hot pink. Used my winter pallet for my house. :-)

Attached is a picture of my family room couch with the arm covers from my two recliners and a paint pallet that I was playing with. I also attached some before and after painting with deep red and a purple brown. Not everyone likes things this bold, but it works for me.
January 25, 2013 at 4:12pm   
Jennifer Hogan
Realized I haven't taken pictures with curtains, art and new counter stools.
January 25, 2013 at 4:21pm   
Jayme H.
Brown rooms and rooms with brown. Red could be added in to any of these color schemes.
January 25, 2013 at 4:26pm   
wvintila79
wow! you are so spot on with the summer & winter colors!!! I went to home depot last night and bought a bucket of "summer sandcastle" to redo those walls. The black sofa is only here while I decide what sofa i want.
January 25, 2013 at 5:58pm     
Jennifer Hogan
Don't rush it . Live with the black until you find your inspiration. Look for an area carpet, couch or picture that speaks to you. Go to some art shows or a poster store at the mall. Never know where you will find "it", but when you do everything else will fall in place.

Will be watching for updates!
January 25, 2013 at 6:36pm   
Jennifer Hogan
I fell in love with frog tape when I painted - keeps the lines so crisp!
January 25, 2013 at 6:45pm     
wvintila79
Jennifer, I just saw the picture you posted and the color I ended up painting my walls is just a shade lighter than that... lol (pictures comming soon)
February 5, 2013 at 6:24pm   
wvintila79
this is the new color furniture to follow
February 6, 2013 at 12:07pm