Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Bedroom update
Kristen Lobbes
January 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Need help with updating my bedroom! New lamp? Drapes? Any ideas? Artwork?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I would like to see a large (36" or so diameter) round tray placed about 12" above the bed, and since I found the wonderful Moroccan one below, I might continue that theme elsewhere in the room. It looks like you read in bed, given the stacks of books at bedside, so I can't suggest Moroccan lanterns there. They don't give enough light. I would definitely provide larger lamps there that are better for reading.

But I'm hoping that there is a corner of the bedroom where you can have a lovely chaise, or just a humble chair. What would elevate the romance quotient of either one would be two or three Moroccan lanterns, hung from above and glowing with a small amount of light, just for atmosphere.

For your bedding, I would select a simple cream colored cotton quilt. Then I'd place kilim pillows in front of the bed pillows you actually use. Across the foot of the bed would be a hand knitted throw in the color of your beautiful wall.

On the floor you'll need an antique kilim rug such as you see below. And on the window I see a burnt bamboo shade.
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID Moroccan Tray VivaTerra Moroccan Hanging Lamp Hand Embroidered Turkish Antique Kilim Pillow Cover by sukan PB Found Vintage Kilim Rugs Kilim Pillow
January 24, 2013 at 6:10pm     
putter2
I agree, larger lamps, or swing arm lamps on either side.....White shades. Move the bed and both side chests down to the left (as I look at picture), so that one on right isn't in front of window. The round tray would be nice, or a long rectangular print.
January 24, 2013 at 8:39pm   
2dogssashatess
Yes, larger lamps and with shades with a bit more color, let us make them pop a bit
January 24, 2013 at 9:58pm   
Leanne Lovie
I agree that with the angle of the ceiling something round would be ideal over the bed. I was thinking a large round mirror, defiantly something large curvy.

I'd look for lamps that are 50% taller than the ones you are using now. Currently the similarity in height to your headboard are making the furniture feel boxed in and separate from the rest of the room, particularly all that ceiling space overhead. Something taller would break up the visual line and feel less cramped.
January 24, 2013 at 10:29pm     
Jean Tuck
Large curvy mirror at head of bed with curvy iron work trim would be nice and lighter drapes unless you work nights, then you may prefer lined light drapes with gold curly design in the pattern if you know what I mean. I might like lamp bases to be gold or brass with white shades. I might as well say I would add a small trunk or storage hassock with gold cusion on it for that luxurious look. Just my opinion.
Maybe some oval bedside rugs for comforts sake .
3 mixed colors cushions for bed. Some times a cheap pillow you have can be an old pillow with covers from the dollar stores as they offer many colors and desgns that are quite rich looking.!
January 24, 2013 at 10:45pm   
yvonnecmartin
Better reading lamps definitely. They (or one long one) could be mounted on the wall to give you more space on the nightstands.

I'd like to see something to carry the bed toward the ceiling. It could be framed wallpaper, a small quilt or mounted fabric almost the width of the bed and 2/3 of the way up the wall incorporating brown and white and perhaps a hint of the wall color or some of the blue accent color.
January 24, 2013 at 10:47pm   
nysnh
Nice wall color. The height of the headboard is relatively low. Wonder if you could do anything to make it higher. The bed is relatively small to the size of the room. I found a picture for you. A half moon shape wall decor and an area rug under the bed could make a big difference to the room.

January 25, 2013 at 1:22am     
nysnh
Another option, if you could place the bed against the right side of the wall with highest ceiling on the picture, the flow of the room would be better. The following two pictures showing the same bedroom with sloping ceiling would be a good reference.
Urrutia Design 1
Urrutia Design 2
January 25, 2013 at 1:34am     
PRO
Eye to Eye Interiors, LLC
Everybody has some great ideas here. I agree with putter2 - definitely move away from the window a bit. I played a little and came up with a few ideas too. I started with the fan (didn't have time to photoshop your old one out - sorry). Replace it with something that ties into the wood in your existing furniture and provides a little flair to the room, too. This one is a Hunter fan - about $250. Consider changing the hardware on your nightstands to something slightly more contemporary. The sheer curtain is from Crate & Barrel - something that will let light in but give you some privacy too. Lamps should be heftier to match the weight of your furniture. Add a coverlet with some color - light green will contrast the beautiful rust of your walls, then add some pillows to reflect your personality. I added an area rug to frame your bed - completely optional - but remember to keep the area under and around your bed clear - an uncluttered bedroom is good feng shui. Consider adding some shelves to store the books on your nightstands. And top it all off with a wide framed print in colors you like. Best of luck to you and be sure to post afters once you update!
January 25, 2013 at 4:29am     
michigammemom
I like the warm terra cotta color of your walls and would suggest coordinated bed linens that tie in the same earthy colors. I like the Kalamakari collection from Pottery Barn with your traditional dark wood sleigh bed. I also suggest toning down the bright white ceiling for a more intimate look.
January 25, 2013 at 5:15am   
Aylin Goksu
First of all you should decide whether you want to keep that color of the wall. Besides it is not the best choice for a bedroom, they are very similar with the color of the furniture. You can paint the wall as the same color with the throw. It would be a nice contrast with the furniture and also be in a harmony with the flooring. And use a flowery painting on the wall (e.g. peonies) that has the pattern and the colors of your cushions. Or you can use an antique mirror instead of a painting:
Felicie Oval Mirror
"Amberlyn" Mirror
Or you can use wallpaper on that wall. You have great space for it.
Fairington Wallpaper
As table lamps, you can use elegant looking ones.
Harriet Clear Glass Table Lamp
Meena Table Lamp
You can use drapes for window instead of blinds but first of all, if you have enough place, you should move the bed and the beside tables to the left and open space for them. They can be the same green as in the little cushion (I think olive green).
You should also consider to buy some new storage stuff. :)
January 25, 2013 at 5:15am     
Dar Eckert
Love the wall color. I'm thinking medallion of open grillwork or large carved screen.

January 25, 2013 at 7:28am     
nevadan
Your room is crying out for a strong horizontal line over the bed to break up that awkward slant. If you are looking for an inexpensive fix, you can build a shelf across. Then above that paint the wall the same color as the ceiling. Then invest in a large headboard that has some height and some interest.
Match your drapes to your wall. Buysome large attractive lamps for your tables.
January 25, 2013 at 8:25am     
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I would stay away from drapery on such a small window. However I would recommend a room darkening Roman Shade will look great in your space.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/shades-toronto/roman-blinds.html
January 25, 2013 at 10:55am   
PRO
Oriental Weavers
Rugs and window treatment are often overlooked, but highly important! Priorities for this room would include a bold rug placed halfway underneath bed to give some dimension and pattern to floor. Drapes or window treatment would add contrast and soften the hard lines on ceiling. A large vertical piece above headboard would help add height to the space by drawing the eye upwards, making the most of the interesting structural elements on ceiling...Try a large painting, collection of frames, or my favorite, a large DIY headboard. You could definitely get away with oversized lamps in this space! Have fun!
January 25, 2013 at 1:54pm     
PRO
Visual Interludes
I like the ideas of relocating the bed and side tables suggested by peaceofmind in the second option.
If you want to continue with the terracotta wall color, I would suggest adding the armoire also shown in
that group of photos. If you would like to follow an Italian theme, and would like a large painting above
the bed, I invite you to view "Amalfitana' or "Cinque Terre" at this website: www.kandycross.com.
The bed and floor rugs could be worked to complement the colors within the focal painting.
January 25, 2013 at 2:46pm   
anitajoyce
Love the pretty wall color! First add two more bed pillows with shams to the bed. Love the blue and orange with the bedding. You definitely need a big picture of either abstract art or a big flower picture with colors like ( blue, tan, beige, rust or orange) in it. A Rug in a combination of these colors would be a nice accent also. panels for the windows in beige also. Could you please post a picture of the whole room?
January 25, 2013 at 3:06pm   
PRO
ReTech
new lamps?
January 25, 2013 at 9:02pm     
Jay Van Daley
Definitely some new lamps, and some strong artwork above the bed. Something wrought iron and dark to compliment your furniture. A Roman shade window covering would look good, too.
January 25, 2013 at 9:06pm   
Kristen Lobbes
Wow, thanks for all the great responses! I love all the ideas! Looks like I need to go shopping. I will post an update soon. In the meantime here are a few more angles of the room.
January 26, 2013 at 8:48am     
PRO
ETL Construction
You need height in there over the bed. A eclectic way to achieve this is to mount tall shutters or other salvaged architecture directly to the wall. Also long curtains with a rod that adds visual interest will help balance the room.
January 27, 2013 at 6:28am   
Jay Van Daley
ETL's got it right. Salvage interior doors that are refinished, but still look very weathered and worn would work above the bed very well.
January 27, 2013 at 6:30am   
ritamax
I like th color of the wall. I reccommend a bedspread or comforter that has the color of the rust wall folded at the bottom of the bed. Add a matching (or coordinating) bedskirt and Euro shams in front of the pillow you acutally use. Euro shams will give some vertical help. A bedskirt will hide thinkg placed under the bed. Place smaller pillows that coordinate in front of the Euro shams. Move the bed a little to the left. Swing arm lamps will give more space on the night stands but I do agree that taller lamps would also be good with neutral or white shades. Wroght iron curtain rods and neutral curtains that go with the carpet and go to the floor. Any of the solutions for over the bed would work - a round mirror, two square paintings or one long horizontal painting, a shelf or weathered shutters. Pottery Barn has shelves that would go with your bed. Avoiding clutter will give you more visual space.
January 27, 2013 at 1:47pm   
Aliah Asiimwe
Light up you bed room with a lighter colour and it will appear live and spacious. What ever is in the bed room will stand out, otherwise all is lost with window trying to bring in light with hardship. You could look at colours like golden green with golden curtains. two close colour stripes in may be blue or grey. A chest of drawers is must item to organise you room and many others as you may wish. ------ happy update.
January 28, 2013 at 7:07am   
PRO
Committed Photography, Inc.
A panoramic print above the headboard would fit beautifully. I would be leaning towards a thin dark brown frame and white matting to compliment the furniture.

We have a ton of amazing panoramic pieces but here are a few example to browse.
http://www.committedphotography.ca/photos/frame/696
http://www.committedphotography.ca/photos/frame/1117
http://www.committedphotography.ca/photos/frame/668
January 30, 2013 at 4:17am   
Kristen Lobbes
Here are some updated pics. I haven't found artwork yet for above the bed but the rest is pretty much done. Thanks for all your comments! The have been very helpful!
February 13, 2013 at 4:47pm     
Jay Van Daley
Looking great Kristen!
February 13, 2013 at 4:48pm   
PRO
I'll bet you feel great to have brought such a vast improvement to the room!
February 13, 2013 at 5:53pm   
PRO
Good job with the curtains, pillows & throw for the bed!
February 14, 2013 at 2:20am   
Leanne Lovie
Where did you find those drapes? I think they'd be perfect for my living room windows?
February 14, 2013 at 8:16am   
ritamax
Looking really nice. Have you checked out "Gallery Direct"? You can order giclee prints in wrapped canvas or on paper. You can order by prodominant color, realistic or abstract. For youir room, I reccommend giclee on paper with white mats and dark frames. Here is a riverscape by Maxine Price
February 14, 2013 at 8:23am   
soberg
Strongly recommend that you paint wall and ceiling to match, to avoid emphasizing the awkward ceiling angle.
February 14, 2013 at 8:28am   
Kristen Lobbes
Leanne I got them at Target.;-)
February 15, 2013 at 2:28am   
Kristen Lobbes
I found some artwork I like but I have two size choices, one big or three small, see photos. Does anyone have an opinion on this? I am leaning towards three small.
May 4, 2013 at 7:37am   
PRO
I think I'd need to see the art. What I'd really prefer would be two vertical pieces.
May 4, 2013 at 9:23am   
PRO
Between these two choices on shape alone, I vote for the three small. But I, too, would love to see the art!
May 4, 2013 at 9:57am   
pattiegoode
I vote for the one large print. It will balance the height of the ceiling & bed. If you love them, buy them all & use them other places in your room. Your update looks awesome!
May 4, 2013 at 11:00am   
carolins
Agree with pattiegoode on the artwork. Nice room. Lovely wall colour.
May 4, 2013 at 11:06am   
Kristen Lobbes
This is the artwork. I was thinking I would order two sets of the second one and use 3 of the 4. Thanks for your input!
May 5, 2013 at 4:02am   
carolins
The large one. And I wouldn't do the smaller ones elsewhere. They look too much the same.
May 5, 2013 at 4:04am   
PRO
The large print.
May 5, 2013 at 5:13am   
doctornancy
What do you and/or the design community think of this option for above the bed?
May 5, 2013 at 9:13am   
carolins
Hmm, I like the decorative artwork, but not the band of colour.
May 5, 2013 at 9:28am     
PRO
I agree with carolins.
May 5, 2013 at 9:44am