Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
POLL: Neutral vs. Color
Vanessa Brunner
January 24, 2013 in Polls
Are you bonkers for all things beige? Or do you prefer vivid, striking color? We want to know which look you love and use in your home.

Are you in camp neutral, camp color, or do you pay allegiance to both?

Camp Neutral UP05
Camp Color Eclectic Farm House
I love both! Living Room
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
olldroo
I love colour, but not quite the eclectic farm house. The living room would definitely be more me without the grey walls. I prefer the colour to be on the walls with complimenting and coordinating furnishings and my neutral colour - white - to keep everything fresh.
January 24, 2013 at 5:55pm     
PRO
Home Services Unlimited, LLC
As a professional contractor...I would go with neutral colors. Can't go wrong with them and practically anything goes with it. However, if you own the home and plan on staying in it for a while, I say do what makes you happy.
January 24, 2013 at 6:17pm     
kellystevens
I can't believe I'm a Neutral Nancy these days, but my house works better with crisp white, black, caramel and gray. The furnishings have color but not the walls. I love color in art, pillows and accessories, but not on the walls.
January 24, 2013 at 6:23pm     
PRO
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID
I love color, but not everywhere, so you'll see some bursts of color in our living room against less colorful non-neutrals. Well, heck, I might as well admit that there isn't a neutral in all of our living room except for the white trim!
January 24, 2013 at 6:46pm     
PRO
Dytecture
Neutral base with color accent(s).

January 24, 2013 at 6:48pm     
Stacey Taylor
Color! Though I'm learning to balance it with neutrals, so it's not too crazy. But yes, lots of color.
January 24, 2013 at 11:42pm     
Manon Floreat
I prefer neutral big ticket items, but love to infuse a space with the vitality of color in the form of accents.

January 25, 2013 at 12:31am     
Jayme H.
I like neutral with colors added in unless it is a specific room with a theme, like a child's room.
January 25, 2013 at 6:16am     
penrus932
I prefer a mix just like nature does.
January 25, 2013 at 8:48am     
krancmm
Spent some years in countries that appreciate color, and lots of it. So, for me, it's color with "pops" of black, glass and metals as "neutrals".
January 25, 2013 at 10:55am     
PRO
Call Marnie First Real Estate - Marnie Beilin
SO sweet!
January 25, 2013 at 5:51pm   
basiastageright
You have to know what you are doing as a designer or artist, and you have to know the house you are dealing with, to do such a sweeping gesture with vibrant color. It's a big, bold design feature that can make a small/old/imperfect/etc space seem perfectly wonderful. In this photo they handled the details of where the color was applied very professionally - an inexperienced designer might ruin this by leaving the shelves white. I think it's very artistic - any kid who grows up in this space will probably enjoy and remember the piano lessons forever. You don't do this everywhere in a house- only in special spaces.
January 25, 2013 at 5:54pm     
E D
COLOR!!! I can appreciate a neutral setting done right, but I always choose to "live in happy" when it gets down to actually decorating my space! (-;
January 25, 2013 at 6:31pm     
Susan Shaffer
depends on your location. I loved the apartment in the movie "Out Of Sight". We are planning a beach house in a tropical location and I plan to do lots of colour.
January 25, 2013 at 6:48pm     
PRO
Design & Decor By Shelley
Oh my gosh please don't make me choose..I love colour period..Whether it is calming neutrals or beautiful bold colours working in harmony..
January 25, 2013 at 7:07pm     
Karen Bell
Artist here, who loves color, voting for the neutral walls and large room items. I would add splashes of color with the smaller items and room accessories (small side chair, lamps, pillows, etc.) The color splashes can be easily changed according to mood or season.
January 26, 2013 at 10:35am     
Deanna Whitten
I love walls that are the color of nature but love the POP of colors in accessories. Love Beach colors..
January 26, 2013 at 12:38pm     
gwnorth
In general I'm a colour person, but not over the top brights. I can appreciate a neutral palette as long as it's not stark white. Swedish minimalist design is not for me. It also depends on the quality of the light a room has. If you're going to go neutral, it needs to have warm lighting. During the cold winters, rich colours in my rooms makes me feel warm and cozy. Come summer I can appreciate a lighter palette.
January 26, 2013 at 12:49pm     
kitteh
I love that colorful farmhouse, lots of creativity and interesting things (and a kitten). I'd be afraid to even touch anything in that white room. I get the idea neutral is safe and economical though.
January 26, 2013 at 2:05pm     
Deborah Collier-winchester
I'm nuts about polar white. It makes my bright colors pop.
January 26, 2013 at 3:15pm     
lk_designs
My answer to this poll would be "it depends !".
People react to colour differently and there are also cultural influences at work too, even if we don't realise it. Australians don't (generally) have black appliances in our kitchens. We either have white or stainless steel appliances and Aussie kitchens tend to have much lighter colours generally.

Colour or neutrals also depends on the amount of light a house/room gets. If it's a small dark space, then I'd opt for cream or white and use mirror/s. If it's big and light then it gets a different treatment. Also the use of the room is important. A cold blue in a bedroom doesn't really work, but warm teal would be better and bright red in a bedroom isn't calming, but the judicious use of red and lighting in a dining room encourages conversation and eating.

I'm decorating my own house with white walls and ceiling throughout because my taste in furniture and accessories is eclectic.
January 26, 2013 at 5:48pm     
olldroo
ik I read an article here that 90% of Aussie kitchens have white cabinetry. That is a huge difference and we also tend to plain doors and drawer fronts with no hardware. So totally different to the US where even hinges are featured.
January 26, 2013 at 6:28pm     
PRO
Toni Sabatino
Voted for "both" .........love them all, though.......the pooch and "color" is just great for the kid in me........grown up gravitates towards the neutrals and the "both'" is just the perfect balance of worldly and whimsical......great poll!
January 26, 2013 at 6:37pm     
lk_designs
Olldroo, when I was designing kitchens here in Melbourne, most of the cabinetry was pale in colour, and you're correct, we don't feature the cabinetry hardware. It doesn't mean to say it can't be stylish. I notice that there are a lot of timber kitchens in the USA and that is rare here in Australia. Aussies don't like wooden kitchens, and anyway, wood is scarce here in Australia. I had many clients that if they wanted a darker colour on their cabinetry, it had to be shiny; high gloss in other words. We have a thing about light. Again, our modern kitchens don't have painted cabinetry. I did a lot of business with a company call Polytec (I don't have any current affiliations) and they supply thermolaminted vinyl doors & panels; melamine doors & panels; laminate bench tops, as we call them.

Marble isn't used in Aussie kitchens, granite is used in some. Production stone is popular as is the corian type products but you can get some fabulous laminates now and they are reasonably priced too. It's now rare to find wooden bench (meaning counter) tops.

Aussies tend to take their fridges with them when they move which I believe is uncommon in the USA. Is that true?

I did want to ask about your name - olldroo - are you an expat Aussie?
January 26, 2013 at 6:51pm     
PRO
Anita Roll Murals
Although bright color would seem a natural choice for me I find I'm drawn to Camp Neutral for the calm I seem to need at the moment. I'm in sensory overload a lot of the time with my work and here I can walk in and fall on the sofa and just be beige for awhile as I regroup.
January 26, 2013 at 8:56pm   
olldroo
lk - no I am not expat - I'm still here but I love this website and am presently doing a major renovation of my home and have found it invaluable, despite not being able to buy products. Hope to do my kitchen later this year so your comments are of great interest to me. I have a vanity that is Corian and love it - 32 years old and not a mark on it - I'm not keen on Ceasarstone but I am interested in what you say about good old laminate. I'm not into fancy uber modern/trendy, just want basic and practical. I am picking up from here that in the US they do seem to leave their fridges which is rather funny, I have a daughter who lives in Germany and when they move they take their whole kitchen with them.

I think our light is totally different here to, which is why we do tend to different colour schemes in all rooms.
January 26, 2013 at 9:10pm     
Jack Petch
I'm all for popping contrasts and natural materials, I think. I don't think I could live in either of the extremes!
January 27, 2013 at 2:58am   
PRO
Cozy Casita
Both are great, when done well. Poor execution is what can make neutral spaces dreary and colourful ones downright scary. Sorry, can't credit the pic, not sure where I picked it up from .. but everything about this room is so right for me !
January 27, 2013 at 3:11am     
karenharis
Color, pink, color, pink. Although I've fought tooth & nail against neutrals, they have grown on me. Still, when I have a home I can decorate, it will be a pale stucco pink & pale baby pink, inside & out! I just can't help myself, I've been this way for years. It's me. For me, pink is the new neutral!
January 27, 2013 at 5:09am     
dcer
Cozy Casita- That picture looks like one of Miles Redd's designs. Good point about execution!
January 27, 2013 at 7:15am     
littledesigner
I like a neutral room with bright pops of an scent color, that way your not locked into one color, you can get new accessories and give the room a totally different feel
January 27, 2013 at 7:28am     
PRO
The Last Homecoming Queen
When we moved to the city center, I kept only black or white clothing but over the years designed our apartment so that color is everywhere I look. I can't imagine living in a neutral space.
And the really nice thing is that I get to choose what I like for my own living space even tho' others find it "stressful" or "high volume" (what I have found is just the opposite and that humans are adaptable).
So, opinions are like noses, everyone has one. And this website is a good place for bringing them all out.
January 27, 2013 at 7:48am     
PRO
Pamela Nielsen Contemporary Art
I love both too! As a contemporary artist--I paint vibrant color--and lots of it! I love my art on vibrant wall colors. But I also love a neutral pallette so that my colors pop. Here are some pics of both.
January 27, 2013 at 8:15am     
Erica Davis
I LIKE THE ELEGANT LOOK OF THE ROOM. CALM AND WELCOMING
January 27, 2013 at 8:56am   
divnanata
Color is life. As an artist I can't live without the stimulation of beautiful color surrounding me. But that's just me.
January 27, 2013 at 9:03am     
PRO
Barbara Griffith Designs
There is no one answer. Each will look good in the right situation...and what the clients life & views reveal. Design is not about me and my taste it is always about the client. My job is to give them ideas for scale, balance, utility..then a color scheme that works for them. Many times you must work with things (colors) they want to keep. I cannot count how many times I have been hired AFTER someone used another designer, spent a lot of money..and hated it. I have noticed even here that most people post very little information to do a good job of that they want, and some designers just start throwing things against the wall without seeing the entire picture and asking questions.
January 27, 2013 at 9:23am     
PRO
Of course! There is professional practice which is everything said above by Barbara. And there is a personal practice where one can design according to one's own preferences. A good designer would never foist personal practice on a client!
January 27, 2013 at 9:39am     
divnanata
More crazy color that I admit is over the top but so what? When it comes time to sell I would clear everything out and beige-icize it.
January 27, 2013 at 9:40am     
lepstein
My BM Dance de Soleil bright yellow walls and eclectic mix of colours make me small every time I look at them or even think about them. Love colour!
January 27, 2013 at 9:46am   
PRO
Design & Decor By Shelley
Well said Homecoming Queen..I think this poll is directed to our own personal choice or choices in colour..As designers/decoraters, our jobs are never about what we prefer it's what our clients want and love. The task of picking colour for clients becomes much easier if the pro can look at the above poll choices and say hey they are all beautiful...
January 27, 2013 at 9:51am   
lepstein
If bright or colourful walls are treated as if they are neutral, things seem to balance out. All neutral can be boring, and colour needs SOME neutral or white to give your eye a place to rest (not a designer...just saying). Also, if possible, living with a piece for awhile helps to assess your comfort level with the colour (or lack thereof).
January 27, 2013 at 9:58am     
lepstein
Oops! Automatic correction changed my comment re yellow walls. They don't make me "small"; they make me "smile"!
January 27, 2013 at 10:04am   
khbiox2
Color please.I live in the south near the furniture meca. I've been looking for a sofa and so far I am drowning in a sea of brown and beige. So boring. Please designers, color my world, color my sofa!
January 27, 2013 at 10:38am     
PRO
Chelsea McGraw Storybook Murals
For me, full intensity color is like having loud music on all the time with no way to turn the volume down. I love the diversity of a neutral background that lets me shift the color balance by changing some fabrics and accessories and art work. A neutral background can support the artwork in the room and allow you to paint an accent wall for drama, without having to paint the whole house.
January 27, 2013 at 11:26am     
PRO
Cozy Casita
dcer, thanks so much for putting a designer's name to the pic I posted. Have just spent the past hour or so checking out his work, online. Fabulous stuff !
January 27, 2013 at 11:27am     
PRO
Cozy Casita
Also, thanks to divnanata and hollybar ... You both have some great ideabooks on your pages, which gave me lots more lovely, colourful spaces to look at, that I probably wouldn't have come across otherwise. I love the way comments and links from folks on Houzz allow us to cross reference all sorts of great ideas, without having to do all the leg-work (well, maybe finger-work, since it's all online !) ourselves.
January 27, 2013 at 11:36am     
PRO
Cozy Casita
karenharis, this link is for you ! Betsey Johnson's pink apartment will either cure a pink-lover ... or leave them lusting for more !
http://www.dreamsthatglitterxoxo.com/2011/03/betsey-johnsons-pink-apartment.html
January 27, 2013 at 12:11pm     
PRO
Cozy Casita
My own 'ode to blue'
January 27, 2013 at 1:18pm     
karenharis
Cozy Casita ... Thank you for sending that link! Absolutely the best place I've ever seen! How could anyone not be totally happy all the time in that apt? Again, thanks for your thoughtfulness.
January 27, 2013 at 3:20pm     
sandra
One thing I hear countless times over is "I love color but I'm afraid to do what you have done." So silly, color is about the most easy and flexible thing to do to change the mood and feel of a home.
January 27, 2013 at 5:28pm     
olldroo
Barbara Griffith I could not agree with you more, you have really nailed it!!!! I get so frustrated at the lack of questions asked, to me vital questions that would make or break the outcome.
January 27, 2013 at 6:08pm     
Deborah Collier-winchester
I use deep cobalt blue and other bright colors in the kitchen where we're "up" more. They feed my soul. In the living room there is lots of window, white white walls, and red persian carpet. Most of the furniture is white wicker with cotton prints. One blue and green tiffany lamp, piano, and tall grandfather clock. At all times draped over everything are 2 dogs and 2 cats.
January 27, 2013 at 8:23pm   
abbysdoran
I'm a teen and I prefer to make things pop, so I normally go with a brightly colored background and neutrally colored decorations.
By the way, what colors would go well with yellow, white, and grey?
January 27, 2013 at 8:38pm   
olldroo
abbysdoran - yellow white and grey are just perfect on their own. Maybe a spring green??
January 27, 2013 at 8:47pm     
Norma Sassone
Why does beige beige and more beige make a place more sellable - it is so boring, not tranquilo, to me. But I guess there are a lot of folks who cannot see past the colors when they are buying a house to what they could do with it, if they painted it up. I adore ireland where towns competed to be the most colorful years back - and Mexico and India - yeah!
January 27, 2013 at 9:41pm     
littlemissk
I absolutely could not live without color! ;o)
January 27, 2013 at 10:18pm     
authorlisaeve
Guilty! Beige is such a warm and inviting color! I accentuate with a little apricot as an accent wall in my living room and a jade wall in my bedroom! I loooove cozy! So you will find beige and earth-toned throw pillows, candles, etc...all over the place. Love it!
January 28, 2013 at 4:46am   
weiblaboso
White, grey and beige! Many people see neutrals as "boring", but they're the only way to go. Bright colors are busy, stressful, and they make a house look like a two-year-old's playroom. And besides, brights are more likely to go out of style more quickly.
January 28, 2013 at 9:05am     
Marilyn Wilkie
I love color, though I'm not crazy about your example up there with a mix of all high intensity colors. When I see rooms that are just about entirely beiges it just makes me depressed. I get the same feeling when I see all of the subdivision houses around here and all of the silver automobiles. I love nature and nature is color. Life is color. Office buildings are beige and grey and boring. Why live in an office? My kitchen has bright blue, green and white glass tiles on the backsplash. When we sell, someone else can put the neutral tile in. :)
January 28, 2013 at 9:27am     
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
Neutral is the way to go bring in pops of colors with art and pillows.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/
January 28, 2013 at 10:30am   
Connie Abbott
Just a note: beige, gray, tan, white, black are also colors "in nature."
January 28, 2013 at 10:35am   
Marilyn Wilkie
Boring colors of nature...relegated to dirt, cloudy days, dead leaves, etc. Black should always appear in some form in every room though.
January 28, 2013 at 10:48am     
PRO
Shakúff
Can go both ways! We have a really hard time picking.
January 28, 2013 at 12:40pm   
Paige Tomkinson
Neutrals, beige, tan, brown, cream, with nothing to enliven them just make me so sad. Colour makes me smile! When I own my own home, the walls will be bright white with tons of brightly coloured art, or vivid colours themselves. Bright colours just make me happy, give me engery, and make life more interesting! But, as so many people stated, you do have to do them "right."
January 28, 2013 at 1:05pm     
kroze
That is a very tough question. I LOVE color, but prefer to express it in furnishings and art. Therefore my walls and floors are somewhat neutral to not distract from the color focal points. To add loud color walls to artistic furnishings is a bit over the top for me.
So, how do I vote? Do I love color or not?

None of the photos express my preferences.
January 28, 2013 at 5:53pm     
PRO
Check out this: http://www.bavaria.by/municipal-gallery-in-the-lenbachhaus-and-kunstbau-in-munich-bavaria
The art of the Blue Rider school is shown on rooms painted in vibrant, highly saturated colors. It's amazing and changed my view of how art work should be exhibited-- white wall galleries lost their allure after seeing this.
January 28, 2013 at 6:03pm   
PRO
January 30, 2013 at 6:46am     
olldroo
Studio NOO - that is funny, colour gets me through our hot summers, blues and greens to make the house feel cool.
January 30, 2013 at 7:05am     
Dawn Taillon
I deleted my ramble and want to say that both are great options. It depends on your mood but for me even if you opt for a neutral pallet, there is always room for punches of bold color or what ever accent color reflects your mood or season.

Color used to be the only way for me, but as I am older I think it is more fun and affordable to add color as accents that you can easily change often.
January 30, 2013 at 8:10pm     
PRO
Mary Sherwood Lake Living
khbiox2 - Color is very important in all of our designs. Yes, there is a place for beige sofas but there are lots of other choices. Here are just a few examples. Let me know if we can help you find that perfect sofa.
February 3, 2013 at 7:50pm     
kroze
Over the years of entertaining guests in my home, which I have done with great regularity over the years, I have noticed that my first guest almost always goes to a chair in the living room. The second guest tends to follow suit and go for another chair. The point is that the sofa is NOT the most favored place for most people to sit. I tend to do the same thing when visiting in the home of friends.

Therefore, I have decided to opt for an eclectic arrangement of chairs in my sitting rooms. There is no wasted space or undesirable seating. There is no concern for finding a long wall or great open space to place a three seater. It is liberating for the decorator in me. I have much more flexibility in arrangements and can easily rearrange when I want to freshen the look of the room.

I don't believe I will ever purchase another sofa, and some of my friends are beginning to catch the vision for their own homes. I would like to think this may become a growing trend.

I liken this practical morph in decorating to the morph in bedroom furnishings in recent years to built in closet drawers and shelves and eliminating the albatross triple dressers and armoires in the sleeping area. We now have room for writing tables and reading nooks in the boudoir. Much more functional.
February 4, 2013 at 6:49am   
hidanicol
I like having the neutral base (not just beige..I am currently redecorating my dining room with chocolate brown) to bring out the richness of wood and to give me lots of options. For instance, I can have jewel tones in fall, greens and whites for Christmas to add a woodsy feel, more pastel colors in spring, and citrus colors in summer. I never get bored with my rooms and takes only a few minutes to change it up!
February 4, 2013 at 9:33am     
Genevieve
Winter is long and cold over here. I love colour white is nice and so is beige but for me they are rather boring and cold if used in a monochromatic way. Colours make people happy :)
February 4, 2013 at 9:44am     
bumblebee728
I like the 'near neutrals' as Paul Anater calls them. Real colors, but soft and dusty, not bold or bright.
March 14, 2013 at 8:32pm   
PRO
Simpson Signature Homes
I really love both depending on what room or what the clients personality is!
March 21, 2013 at 9:12am   
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
It total depends on my clients. Their taste is the important consideration they are the ones living in the space.
March 21, 2013 at 9:20am     
PRO
Mona Ives
I like color with neutral backdrops not all color on color. But I'm really sick of all neutral on neutral. I love texture as much as the next person but I am just sooo bored of grey especially, but even of oatmeal and beige and white and blahhh. These rooms are putting me to sleep. If God didn't create the world devoid of color, why would we try to create rooms that way?
March 21, 2013 at 9:29am     
PRO
It's a Beautiful World!
As an artists, all colors are my friends :) A lot of different color combinations work perfectly if done right while neutrals can provide a background to play around with colors. I find that most people do enjoy colors at home, it is the intensity of color that may present a problem for some or not knowing how to coordinate multiple colors. And this is where you guys come in with your expert design ideas... Raisa
March 21, 2013 at 9:38am     
lynnmarie2222
Even though I love color I'm in the process of remodeling my kitchen in black (countertops) and white (cabinets). The reason I did this is because I love color! Now I'm free to bring in any color I want and change my mind as often as I want. Since paintings of all styles and colors are commonly framed in black or white this tells me that these all-and-none "colors" work well with, compliment and even accentuate many other colors. For me they are the ultimate neutrals leaving boring beige far behind. However, left on their own without color to work their magic on they become sterile and cold. The eye is drawn to and follows color. Color warms and welcomes. Many happy memories are written in color. I've never heard anyone say, "My favorite toy as a child was my tan wagon" or "My beige-haired baby doll." Cream colored food on a cream plate leaves the soul wanting. I say don't worry about making color "mistakes"...if you really love something it will likely work in your home and more importantly, make you happy. Lynnmarie
August 11, 2013 at 3:55pm   
Joseph Dappen
I love the first and last one the middle one is too colorful. This is an awesome poll!
September 8, 2013 at 9:00am   
roshange
I love using wall color as a surprise- not just to guests who enter, but even myself for whom the cat has already been let out of the bag. If I am sitting in a room and feeling bored, I usually look around until my eye focuses on the accent wall. In my case, a deep, near navy back splash in the kitchen and a color resembling mango in the living room.
September 19, 2013 at 3:51am     
dialmforguesswhat
All colors are attractive in the right place at the right time. For children, food is made more appetizing by using lots of colors. But some colors are made by using harmful dyes which are poisonous. Yellow was banned in butter for this reason years ago. Colors are ok but please be aware of harmful dyes. Now, where is my prize please?
September 19, 2013 at 6:52am   
olldroo
Or don't lick the paint??
September 19, 2013 at 6:55am   
PRO
JudyG Designs
Neutral need not be beige or gray…it should mean “calm”. BM healing aloe or purple haze are good examples.
Healing Aloe 1562 Paint
Purple Haze Paint
September 19, 2013 at 5:03pm     
chookchook2
Colour colour colour except foe masterbrm and bathrm
November 10, 2013 at 6:15am   
PRO
Colour Theory
I appreciate both colour & neutrals, & the 'in-between'. What you have to be careful of though is that the colour energy we right for the space. For example, you might want your kitchen to Have a high energy colour, but possibly your bedroom would be best in a calm neutral. (Or a calm colour would work too, especially in the green-blue- mauve family)
November 10, 2013 at 6:47am   
dkvhaus
Color-Commitment Phobia.
I grew up in a white-walled-house. Mom always said it would be a pain to repaint. She would redecorate seasonally with pops of color. So, the thought of being nailed-down to a colored wall- terrifies me. Now that I have a home of my own, I am thankful to have neutral color on the walls-( yes beige). This allows me a seasonal blank slate. Best of both worlds :)
November 10, 2013 at 12:54pm   
Norma Sassone
Colorful flowers in the garden, green grass and trees, red and orange sunsets, turquoise seas in the Caribbean, purple mountains - nature is definitely not afraid of color, so why would humans be so? Seems so strange to me to have a phobia against something so integral to being a part of and perceiving the world we live in - or perhaps we are now used to gray cities, belching smokestacks, asphalt and cement.
November 10, 2013 at 1:15pm     
Piff
I'm renovating my apartment right now and everyone has expressed concern that it's all gray and white, gray and white. With beige furniture. Oh but I'm not worried. I'm going to blow people's eyeballs out once my art goes up on the walls. I'm all about the neutral fixtures and colorful accessories.
November 10, 2013 at 1:23pm     
olldroo
Wow, Piff, can you post photos when it is all done?
November 10, 2013 at 3:38pm     
Piff
olldroo - sure will. I plan on doing extensive before/after plus decorating advice posts. I really could not have done this project without houzz.
November 11, 2013 at 12:08pm     
PRO
MS Colours Inc
Is good design off white walls with a couple of colorful chairs and pillows?
November 11, 2013 at 12:45pm   
olldroo
Wow, MS that just sounds so easy and simplistic but unfortunately it also comes down to the aspect and lighting in the room (even white can look terrible with the wrong light), combinations of colours used, compatibility of patterns, proportion of furniture - it is the total picture that is important.
November 11, 2013 at 1:56pm     
lunasolaris
Personally, I can't live without color. Beige and light grey make me feel very depressed and I prefer to use white as an accent rather than the main color. My apartment's entrance is orange and yellow with white trim. My office is orange with a dark blue-violet wall. When I am at home, I spend most of my time in my office and I feel very happy and energized. My bedroom is a turquoise blue and is very soothing. In the Eclectic Farm House photo, even if there is a lot of color on the floor, there is way too much white on the walls for my taste. I much prefer the darker walls and the yellow sofa in the living room photo. I am truly a color addict. I don't follow trends when I decorate. The most important thing for me is how I feel and what makes me feel great is color, color, color. but that's just me...
January 22, 2014 at 12:08pm   
PRO
MS Colours Inc
There a many deep colors that become neutral when used on ceiling or walls
January 22, 2014 at 4:41pm     
chookchook2
For economy, it's good to have classic or neutral colours on big investments like lounging sofas etc. then colour can be cheaply changed with paints, throw pillows and accessories.
January 22, 2014 at 5:09pm   
kroze
@ MS Colors......... Personally, the first two photos do not appeal to me, but that bedroom is absolutely gorgeous!
January 22, 2014 at 5:35pm   
PRO
MS Colours Inc
Thanks for your compliment. Can win all of them.
January 22, 2014 at 5:40pm   
PRO
Neutral Dwelling
Neutrals of course. Greige, Beige, Champagne, White, Black, Grey -- Love them all!
January 22, 2014 at 5:44pm   
mkmort
Trying to find a good mix.
January 22, 2014 at 6:06pm     
lepstein
MS Colors: I so agree that bold colours often read as neutrals when used correctly. I used a bold yellow (BM Dance de Soleil) throughout my 600 sq ft addition and, not only do I love it (it makes me want to dance!), but others also give me kudos. It goes with so many other colour schemes and has so much more life to it than beige, grey or greige.
January 22, 2014 at 11:27pm   
armipeg
I like both, but mostly i'm a beige/brown/neutral lover. I also love to add bright colors for some pop. But I stay away from neon and pastel colors. Well I mean for rooms/buildings.
January 23, 2014 at 12:35am