Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
need help with what to do with fireplace area, awkward area, as not center
amgoulet20
January 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
the living room area is open space to fireplace area, i would like to put a couple of chairs, area rug, and accent table with also light fixture to ceiling in center of fireplace area? need suggestions on colour of chairs, and suggest type of light fixture, and area carpets? thanks
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
TanCalGal
DO U watch TV from the sofas? What is this fireplace + TV area used 4?
January 27, 2013 at 5:13PM   
Erica Kensington
In my house, we have something like that. what you can do is take away some clutter on the shelves and on the floor, take away those curtains or the blinds cause you don't need both, and maybe you will get some ideas. if not heres what i think.

first of all the colors are just not good together, (sorry) i suggest changing the wallpaper to something that isn't as patterned it will make the fire place and the floor look better together. i think a three seater would look ever nice in this setting. And as for usage....... this can be a place where you and some friends can just relax on the couch and watch the game, or maybe an area to show off some personality.

hoped that helped a little bit! :D
best wishes
-Erica
January 27, 2013 at 5:36PM     
PRO
Interiors International, Inc.
Your home looks to be a log home is that correct? If so do you want to stay with a rustic-lodge type look? Or will you want it to be contemporary?
January 27, 2013 at 5:40PM   
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Yay Erica! But I think that is a log home...not wallpaper!
January 27, 2013 at 5:41PM     
groveraxle
There is way too much going on in this corner. I would remove everything from the shelves, the mantel, the hearth, and the floor, remove the shades and leave just the drapes on the windows. Then I would put firewood in the niche on the bottom left, put one tall vase or candlestick and two framed photos on the shelf to the left, and hang one piece of art over the mantel.

Add an area rug at least as wide as the hearth and arrange a seating group around the edges, perhaps four chairs and a round table. But I wouldn't worry about that until I had the fireplace area cleared of clutter.
January 27, 2013 at 5:49PM     
amgoulet20
thanks all, yes it is a log home, there is alot of different wood tones going on as you can see! yes i like the idea of de-cluttering!!:) we don't use this area as of now, it opens up to what is our living room area, i attached a picture, we would like to keep it rustisc, as i can't change all the wood, but rustic with a contemporary touch?
January 28, 2013 at 5:45AM   
amgoulet20
and yes it is a wodo burning fireplace not gas, so we usually do have the box filled with firewood,
January 28, 2013 at 5:46AM   
TanCalGal
Photo didn't load?
January 28, 2013 at 9:43AM   
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
The drapery looks great I would leave the drapes up and remove the blinds. You can also add a white blind to brighten up the space a bit but its not really necessary.

http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/shades-toronto/cellular-shades.html
January 28, 2013 at 9:46AM     
amgoulet20
i thought everyone could see this picture already, but here it is again..these two rooms are open to each other.
January 28, 2013 at 10:06AM   
TanCalGal
Ideas 4 ceiling lights (or maybe a fan?) in front of fireplace Portola Valley Residence Mike G Project

I would style the area a little. Not add a lot of stuff. Clean off stone completely and leave bare, maybe a few books on shelves. Two 2 sculptural chairs in front of windows & leave fireplace area bare. . Bird's Nest Occasional Chair | Wisteria
January 28, 2013 at 12:03PM     
bhelmore
I would love for you to get your furniture away from the walls! Think about a long table on the back wall with 2 lamps on it, maybe some books, and place your longer sofa in front of it. Place the love seat on the plain wall side, and place the chair on the opposite end so that you can turn it to watch TV or back into a conversation area. Turn the rug so that it touches the couch, the love seat and at least hints at the new location for your chair.

Ditch the curtains. White shades, rather than the brown that you have, would be much more inviting .

It would look really nice to fill out the FP wall with a cabinet in the same wood color as the mantle. Imagine one that is as tall as the lower mantle on the left of the fireplace and bring your eye across. It could serve as a storage area for things that you need in that room. Place the TV ON that new shelf storage unit and it won't stick our as much.

I think you should choose a putty color to paint OUT the white underneath your hearth. Maybe even consider painting OUT the beams on your ceiling to give the room more height.

Finally, your base cove molding is not in scale with the logs. It should be much higher.

Very pretty room........just a few inexpensive fixes, and you'll love it!
January 28, 2013 at 12:23PM        Thanked by amgoulet20
amgoulet20
thank you everyone, great suggestions! will post pics after, not keen on painting out the beams, alot of ppl who visit love the wood beams..i am one of those that can't paint wood! :)
January 28, 2013 at 3:00PM     
amgoulet20
here it is in daylight and de cluttered..i would love to put a comfy chaise lounge chair or comfy but stylish chair to read in..also attached pic of dining room
January 30, 2013 at 3:44PM   
TanCalGal
Would a small sectional work?
January 30, 2013 at 3:50PM     
peetsoo
Nice space..........has always been a dream of mine to have a log or post and beam home. Anxious to see what you do with the space but the decluttering made a huge difference already.......
January 30, 2013 at 3:55PM        Thanked by amgoulet20
PRO
Loot Design House
Love the clean lines in some of the other furniture in the home and the juxtaposition of the rustic with sleeker. A pair of squared swivel chairs to the left of a modest 7' sofa would be stunning. Check out Brownstone Upholstery. They just came out with a new swivel chair that is beautiful and a stunning sofa like the Humphry. A Moroccan style rug and pops of color like a great turquoise or apricot in garden stools would be stunning and a simple linen drape (we like them full so a 2x fullness) with a textural Wearstler tape trimming out the sides- yumm! Have fun with it!
January 30, 2013 at 4:04PM     
amgoulet20
i was thinking about this chair, angled in the left side in front of windows with an area rug and some sort of lighting?
January 30, 2013 at 4:43PM   
amgoulet20
i would make sure the leg styles were the same though
January 30, 2013 at 4:44PM   
amgoulet20
or this is nice..
January 30, 2013 at 4:53PM   
TanCalGal
I'd like seating for 2. Nice place to have a conversation, cuppa or glass of wine.
January 30, 2013 at 4:55PM   
amgoulet20
yes, what style of chairs do you suggest, not sure if sectional or sofa would be too heavy, and i would like chairs to be comfy as this would be an ideal place for me to read, on a cold winter night..:) with wine..
January 30, 2013 at 5:00PM   
TanCalGal
I like the chair U chose, would 2 fit in the space? or something similar, beige and comfortable (& then invite me over).
January 30, 2013 at 5:05PM     
amgoulet20
yes i agree, any style of chairs you can suggest? colour and style
January 30, 2013 at 5:08PM     
amgoulet20
yes two chairs and an ottoman i think with area rug..sounds good!!!:)
January 30, 2013 at 5:11PM     
Steven Estafanos
If you really want an interesting effect I'd go for very modern Scandinavian furniture in the same colours you're already in. Rather than introduce new textures, though, try to stick to the same textures. Perhaps declutter the area around the fireplace as others have said. Also get a sectional sofa where you can separate the lounge part of it and stick that with a slant, separately, beat the fireplace. The remainder of that sofa integrates with the remainder of that living room so it's as if you built the living room and then chopped off an element and dropped it a little further away to include everybody else.
January 30, 2013 at 5:12PM     
amgoulet20
any pictures of the modern scandinavian furniture?
January 30, 2013 at 5:14PM   
amgoulet20
and i did de -clutter the fireplace area, in the picture added today..:) still need artwork ideas to hang to replace the clock..
January 30, 2013 at 5:16PM   
Debra Lloyd
Love to see more fiery colour for the upholstery....Something to pick up on the log....Not sure why you chose grey.for the drapery?..is the chinking super grey? I'm assuming the log is a warm caramel...Love the ceiling detail....
January 30, 2013 at 5:18PM     
amgoulet20
there is bluish grey in kitchen and living room, these two rooms are open to fireplace area, and was trying to tie the rooms together..maybe not such a great idea, shoulda went with more of ivory or beige..just wasn't sure what to do..wish i had seen this site 2 years ago..:) thanks for input!
January 30, 2013 at 5:26PM   
TanCalGal
I like a chair with arms, and I have to sit in them to test the comfort. Also I do not like furniture to take up much space. The 2 chairs U show seem bulky + the 2 new chairs & rug should blend perfectly with furniture & rug U have in LR. 2 chairs with a lamp and round table? I find ottomans get in the way. There R recliner chairs that don't take up much room and R comfortable, too. Although many R horrified at the word "recliner".
January 30, 2013 at 5:29PM     
amgoulet20
yes, my chair in the living room is a lazy boy recliner and it is still a little on the stylish side, great idea, and i don't want this space to feel heavy..or cluttered..lol
January 30, 2013 at 5:31PM   
TanCalGal
The art-deco-ish chair is a recliner? I LOVE that chair. What is the brand?
January 30, 2013 at 5:38PM     
Steven Estafanos
Yes I was seeing an outdated version of the post for some reason. It definitely looks much better decluttered. IKEA is a cheaper Scandinavian option but my thoughts tend towards what BoConcept make (website BoConcept.com) and just go for a light grey upholstery or black leather. I will admit sometimes I have felt they tend towards being pricey but you'll get the idea. It'll punch in a bit of an industrial style to it. It's very edgy with less curves really.
January 30, 2013 at 5:38PM     
TanCalGal
OOPs I see U said lazy-boy. Great chair!!!
January 30, 2013 at 5:42PM   
amgoulet20
thanks..yes surprised when i found it, and nice option, you can order in hundreds of fabrics and choose the colour of the wood!
January 30, 2013 at 5:43PM     
Mike Slater
I agree with bhelmore's point that you should lose the grey drapes. They just don't add anything to a space that has a lot going on. If it's in your budget, select different blinds in a white or off white.
February 3, 2013 at 1:37AM     
sjkingston
Love this space. Few suggestions. Can you put sofa on wall where love seat is and the love seat under window? Then if possible move the t.v. on to the beige wall. Creates an L-shaped seating area that's easy to walk in to. Also it looks like the wall to the left of that window is wider than to the right and the sodpfa is deeper than the love seat, do the sofa would balance better on that side. If you can't run the antenna for the tv easily to that opposite wall, then maybe just move love seat under window and reposition tv down the wall opposite current sofa position.

Move the recliner over to the left of the fireplace angled toward it. Add a table and reading lamp. And the blinds are fine. Replace grey drapes with Ikea grommet Merete curtains (2 panels are $25) which are 98" long so you can hang just below the bottom of beams and hem to length. The "unbleached" color is a beautiful ivory white that would be perfect with your walls are the are a wonderful heavy cotton. Hang so when open they are outside the window frame and then the windows won't look cut off.
February 3, 2013 at 2:28AM     
amgoulet20
thank you again everyone..all ideas are welcome!
February 3, 2013 at 7:59PM   
amgoulet20
i was thinking the same, i like my bambo shades, but thinking cream, ivory linen curtains..to have a more airy feeling..
February 3, 2013 at 8:08PM   
More Discussions
Need help redesigning this yellow bathroom
Please help suggest how we can give this bathroom a...
help for hutch
my nyc/apt living room is modern. altho, i have a hutch...
Outdoor plants for planters
We live in Dallas, Texas and are currently opening...
Tiling a ceiling shower
Im renovating a basement bathroom which the shower...
Help Needed With Kitchen Faucet
Please suggest some faucets to go on our kitchen sink....
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.