Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with Kitchen eat in area
lindangu1020
January 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Ive been having so much trouble with my eat in kitchen area. A lot of people suggested that i should get a rug.I just got this rug. What do you think? Still need help with window treatments!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jayme H.
A bit too small?
3 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 8:09PM
2dogssashatess
Table does look a bit small from a practical standpoint. Can't imagine 4 people eating at it and I think the chairs blend in with walls too much. Floor tiles and wall color fairly similar and bit bland for my liking so I would like to see a bit more color in the chairs.
2 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 10:01PM
tubercharlie
I think if you painted the chairs it would make a huge difference!
2 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 10:03PM
Manon Floreat
The rug is too small, unfortunately. It needs to be big enough to allow for the chairs to scoot back away from the table without sliding off the rug. 2ft would be the minimum - more is better.

Since it's an eat in kitchen, I'd forgo the rug altogether. Painting the chairs is a really good option. A medium grey with blue undertones would pair well with the red tones of your table. You could think about replacing the shades with Romans (the honey tones don't really compliment the reddish table and beige floors). Consider Roman shades in the Moroccan trellis patter of your rug and flanking with simple panels. Navy (to pick up on the blue in the chairs) and white would be sharp and fresh looking.

ETA: you could even consider charcoal chairs
5 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 10:15PM
Jean Tuck
Id like to see a patterned drapes same color as base drapes colora flower arrangement on table with your favorite bouquet in artificial flowers, easy to do yourself and cost effective in a brass bowl would be nice, and brass wall mounted tye back gadget to hold drapes open in daytime.Lose the wood shade add plant in corner in a stand of some kind , even wicker painted to look brass is nice.
0 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 10:52PM
Marti Lindsey
Yes, try a larger rug, maybe even a round one. Add a mirror or large piece of art of the wall. Cushions and a table cloth will go a long way in making the room seem more homey. Try some plantation shutters if you can afford it on the windows.
1 Like   January 24, 2013 at 11:26PM
Walter Frazier
Paint the chairs dark. Rug is too small and maybe too busy. Maybe no rug at all.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 1:57AM
lindangu1020
Thank you for all the comments so far! There is a door to the garage to the right of the table. If the rug is any bigger, it will block the walkway to the door, that's why I didn't go any bigger. I was thinking about doing floor length drapes but several people have said they don't recommend drapes in the kitchen area.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 6:50AM
Jayme H.
Do u have any pics on the walls?
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 7:07AM
lindangu1020
Not yet, I know I need some type of art work but haven't found something I like or works...any suggestions?
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:16AM
quilter131
I would eliminate the rug; it's easier to clean the tile floor. What color are your dishes? They might give you a place to start. The area needs some color. At the minimum, make or buy some place mats and seat cushions in the color of your dishes or a complimentary color. Go for cloth napkins, too. Add pictures on the wall that have that color in them. You could also have a secondary color such as black in the frames and else where, just a small amount. If you don't want drapes try adding a valence on the window.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:32AM
decoenthusiaste
A rug must be 4' bigger than that for chair scoot and sit space. If that makes for a rug that hits the walls or blocks the garage entry, then you don't need one in this space. I'd paint the chairs black, add a banquette under the window and go for this look. Then you can upholster the banquette seat for the pattern and warmth you were hoping for with the rug. Add a matching valance over the shade to tie the breakfast nook together!

7 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:40AM
Jayme H.
Can u take a pic from farther back from the space so we can see the area better? Cannot see much...what is the lighting, etc?
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 8:22AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
no rug is better than one that is too small, your space is too small for the correct size rug " A lot of people" are wrong
3 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 8:25AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
look at adding curtain panels (two) they dont need to be large but do need to reach the floor. add pattern and color in the room with the fabric. add some art to the wall and add some great chair cushions
2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 8:28AM
lindangu1020
What do ya'll think about this pattern for floor length drapes? The living room which is connected to the kitchen has green sage. I was thinking if I should continue the color scheme into the kitchen.
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 8:39AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
good idea, but you can do better! thats really thin fabric, look for a pattern with four or more colors! the living room color and three more. realize I'm thinking the blinds should stay inplace and the panels are added
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 9:42AM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
I wouldn't recommend going with drapery in the kitchen there is usually alot of traffic there and the drapes will get dirty and dusty. However a Roman Shade is a really nice alternative to a drape and you can pick any fabric you would like . I would also suggest a Top down Bottom up option so you can control the light and privacy in the space.
http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/blinds-toronto/shades-toronto/roman-blinds.html
https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=roman+shades+top+down+bottom+up+cordless&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.41524429,d.b2U&biw=1185&bih=951&pdl=300&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=1dICUbCkGsSO2AX854Aw
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 10:46AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
I DO....come on AJA, if the window is as near the floor as shown, dont you agree the treatment should be long, the living toom is open to this area and I was thinking......the LR drapery were to the floor. parrterned long drapery or long simple curtains with make up for having no rug on the floor
2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 11:41AM
Jayme H.
Pic: I think it could go either way with curtains..but think more pattern is needed somewhere and a different light fixture-although there isn't one in this pic.
2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 12:00PM
lindangu1020
Ok, so it appears that everyone agrees that I shouldn't put a rug there b/c of space.
The window is low to the ground. I was hesitant to put roman shades (unless it was hung outside of the window frame) b/c I wanted to add height to the area by putting something above the window.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 12:01PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
the roman shade (blind) you have seems a bit under sized with its length but is fine if not to be down for privacy. the abve side panels with a wooden or iron rod would be a nice addition...just make certain the projection of the rod's brackets allow for the shade to be used!
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 12:12PM
jannielee
Yes, mount natural shade outside the window so you can go high to the ceiling, and yes, do add full length panels high, to the ceiling on either side of the shade in a large pattern with the colors you want to pull into the room. Add some wall hangings that coordinate with style and colors in your window treatments. Chair cushions in the brightest shade in the drapes will perk things up and add softness to the area. I like the chairs just as they are.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 12:30PM
mveasey
To be honest, I like the rug, the place looked naked, totally bare before. Yes, it is on the smaller side, but I understand the traffic situation. The question is, how many people in the family and is this your main eating spot. Do you have small kids or pets regarding curtains. If it is just you and another adult, then usually people tend to take the easiest accessible seats, that means the curtains would not even get touched. I do feel you window would benefit from some treatment. Side panels would make the window look wider, but things have to be practical. Your table and chairs could benefit from some mats or a tablecloth and the chairs some cushions, I believe you had some in your last post? This is your home, it has to feel right and home to you, whatever you do...
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 1:21PM
lindangu1020
Aja- can I have the link to where you found those fabrics? I like the leaf one. Where can I get it? Thanks
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 1:25PM
mveasey
Here a few photos
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 1:27PM
PRO
movenready properties, LLC
Try a taller, square table in a dark finish. Hang two floor length curtains bringing the rod close to the ceiling for added height. I see something with a gold or yellow pattern working nicely with a darker table and brightening up the room.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 1:38PM
lindangu1020
Aja- yes that fabric
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 1:40PM
csmkubiet
I have a similar issue with an eat-in-kitchen. I tried a rug but was advised by a decorator to loose the rug as it defined the space which was already small. I agreed with her as your eyes went to the rug.
I would paint the chairs and use a bright window dressing such as a strip or Waverly print.
And understanding your challenges good luck. I have been at this for the past 18 months, buying things, trying them out and then returning.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 2:57PM
Jayme H.
If I were going to do any rug in there I think a sisal type and larger/but then that could interfere with the doorway and throw off the rest of the room, which I cannot see.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 5:29PM
lindangu1020
Yes a larger rug will definitely interfere with the walkway. I think I will do away with the rug.
Aja-i do not live in the UK....thanks for looking it up!
2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 5:46PM
lindangu1020
What do ya'll think about painting the walls a light grey?
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 5:46PM
lindangu1020
Aja- can you tell me where I can get these fabrics? thanks
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 6:03PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
what can you find for $12.00 Aja, come on you can do better!

as for the rug, any rug large enough to pull the chair out and not be off the rug, then is too large for the space
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 6:04PM
Jayme H.
It seems Aja is resourceful enough to come up with economical ideas that the "poster" likes!! Awesome!
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 6:11PM
Jayme H.
You have spent a lot of your time helping Aja...so nice of u!
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 6:25PM
Jayme H.
I love light grey, think it would perk your room up as long as it goes with your floor and cabinets...plus there is grey in many of those fabrics u like...
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 6:30PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
find it on line lol...............................................okay Aja you did 'good'
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 6:38PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
respectfully stated with the price of labor the best value is to invest in fabrics that will stand the test of time......a nice drapery well made should last 20 years. Save on cheap fabric and as they fade and rot they will need replacing....many say they like to change and arent concerned with long lasting features. I feel if it is worth doing ...it's worth doing well, if you can afford to 'do it' you can afford to do it well
3 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 6:43PM
Jayme H.
You go girl!! Good job, I love quality at a bargain!
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 6:47PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
very nice, .......is that for a sun dress?
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 6:47PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
would be great strapless .....just kiiddding
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 6:48PM
Jayme H.
No offense Gary, but who wants to keep their drapes for 20 years? And btw...who DOESN'T use their old drapes for a sundress?
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 6:49PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
lets see it in the light..........
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 6:49PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
not those that call them drapes........................................drapery

Why not keep a quality space for 20 years.....most change, and change because the spaces have never been done correctly. I have a client that after 21 years called and wanted to work on the den again.....as she had loved it for so long...even wanted the same fabric if possible
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 6:53PM
lindangu1020
Thank you Aja for the fabric info. So do you guys think outside mount of roman shades or floor length drapes? Thanks for all the comments so far!
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 6:56PM
Jayme H.
That's awesome Gary..u must have done a good job! I guess identifying what each person wants and helping them to achieve that- whether it is a high end job or not...is the key. I don't get overly technical in my terminology in my line of work, it's arrogant.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 6:56PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
totally understand where you're coming from Janme.....what type of work do you do?
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 6:58PM
Jayme H.
OM Gosh...those match my drapes...OH I meant.............................drapery
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:00PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
I feel is my job to help a client achieve a desired total project, so many people don't know what they want. If I just gave clients what they wanted I would be merely an order taker.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:01PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
AJA you are so much fun........how'd you do with that chandelier project
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 7:02PM
Jayme H.
I am Registered Nurse with mostly critical care background. I am certified in BLS, ACLS, PALS and TNCC...licensed 17 years and in healthcare approx. 25 years. But I like to decorate, landscape..and have a property management, business, and rental ownership background as well. Homeowner, and we are planning a new business.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:04PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
good catch Jayme, your 'terming it up'
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:04PM
Jayme H.
You're...no offense
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:05PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
WATCH FOR AJA and GARY coming to HGTV in the spring
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 7:05PM
Jayme H.
I'll just call in my comments to the show
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:06PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
hey Jayme join us
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 7:07PM
Jayme H.
Didn't her plantation burn down?
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:07PM
Jayme H.
The show would have a panel like on "Top Chef"...who is going to be the biggest jerk? lol...Just kidding..I am all about quality in my work...very important..we put our names on it, right?
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:08PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
now that's draped drapery (drapes being the verb drapery beening the noun)
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 7:09PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
J A Y M E now watch your tone!
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 7:10PM
Darzy
giggling here..
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 7:11PM
Jayme H.
This reminds me more of the Hitchcock movie "Rebecca"...darker..and all the fabrics are going up in flames....LOL!!
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:11PM
Jayme H.
At least you spelled my name correctly this time Gary! lol
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:12PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
lol
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 7:12PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
i dont spell real good but thought i had it right, sorry for the mistake...it wont happen again...
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 7:15PM
Jayme H.
Aja...that's a Carol Burnett sketch isn't it???? I saw it...so damn funny.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:15PM
Jayme H.
Just kidding on the grammar/spelling...we all make mistakes.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:17PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
well I sware
2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:18PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
did someone have a question regarding: Need help with Kitchen eat in area
2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:20PM
Darzy
My two cents. I agree the rug is not right here but the space is too small for a bigger rug. I think the table size is just right tho. The reason it looks like it needs a rug is because the chairs, floor and wall color are too similar. Aja makes a good suggestion to paint the chairs.
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 7:20PM
leeisonline
Yes area carpet perhaps too small, go back 3' from back of chair when seated. Perhaps side panels to soften room
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:23PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
with special appearance by: DARZY
thanks for bring us back.......for where ever we went!
2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:24PM
leeisonline
As well, i love this furniture. Maybe a large picture on wall or large silk plant in corner? Pick a color from picture and repeat in a centerpiece or place setting mats
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:26PM
Darzy
lindangu..do you have window treatments in the living room yet? That would help in suggestions for your dining area.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:28PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
they still make live plants .....please dont do a silk.... try a small live one on the table, if the wall has a picture you wont need a plant in the corner...really
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:28PM
Jayme H.
We went to Tara ...Gary
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:29PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
lolololololol....................................well on that one.....I'm heading to dinner! Try to get along without me...........................more later hopefully
3 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:31PM
lindangu1020
Aja, I will have to have the roman shades custom made.
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 7:33PM
Jayme H.
Ashley's drape money...it went with the wind!!!!!....or his drapery money, I meant....or his currency to allow him to drape his drapery properly went with the wind!!
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:51PM
Jayme H.
I have a VERY similarly colored rug in my bedroom....LOVE!
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 8:19PM
lindangu1020
Thank you for the tutorials Aja!! I'm definitely going to try. Now I just need to pick a patterned fabric!
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 8:23PM
PRO
JMittman Designs
If I may, lindangu1020, a few additional items to consider if you have never made a roman shade:

First, you can find some great prices on decorator fabrics online. I would recommend getting a sample cutting to be sure what you see on your screen is truly what you get. While you may find some great deals online, many times, they are great deals because they are seconds or discontinued fabrics. The colorway may be off from the original, the pattern may drift, there may be flaws. This may not matter to you, but if you purchase limited yardage and need more for one reason or another, you may be stuck.
Second: Making a 33 inch wide shade is much easier to make than a shade the width of your window. I assume your window is over 54" wide? You will need more than one width of fabric and will need to seam two pieces to the sides of the main width. Your vertical rows of rings on a shade this wide will need to be much closer together or your shade will never pull up correctly--you will need to dress it every time.
Keep in mind that the techniques shown will also require you to pull up the shade and wrap it around a cleat to stay up. That's LOT of cord to wind and unwind every time.
You will need a heavier weight rod in the bottom of your shade also--a lightweight dowel will not be enough weight for your big shade.
Do you want your shade to lie flush against your window as your woven shade does now? (which I would recommend) If so, you would need to create a shade using a reverse mount technique and valance. Otherwise, you will have a light gap at the sides the width of the projection of your mount board.--just FYI.
Third: And MOST important, techniques for creating roman shades on the tutorials attached do not meet today's new safety standards that have come about as a result of choking deaths from those cords. I will not fabricate a shade today (whether there are children in the house or not) without following the new guidelines, as the onus is on the workroom to adhere.

That's it. My thesis is done.
2 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 5:53AM
loricuster
I think Janet Mittman could really make this table look absolutely fab!
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 6:30AM
PRO
Julie Thome Draperies, Inc.
I read the tutorials and the shade the person made is non-compliant with CPSC standards. Shades like that have been the cause of strangulation deaths and are no longer allowed on the market. All professionally made shades now MUST be made in accordance with CPSC guidelines. Exposed cords on the back and at the side are no longer allowed.
If the homeowner chooses to construct a shade in this manner and has small children in or visiting her house, it is her choice I guess, but I would not recommend leaving them in the house if you sell it, otherwise the liability may be yours.

People need to be aware of the new rules regarding shades, as the industry has had to change radically in the last few years due to litigation.
3 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 7:14AM
Sue
Just a small tweak suggested if you have less than 4 people who regularly sit at the table: rotate the (painted) chairs around the table 45 degrees, so that one chair backs into the corner. It gives a bit more room behind each chair and will interfere with the garage door less.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 7:41AM
PRO
karen paul interiors
To expand on Aja's "dog ear" balloon concept, this is a photo of one that would be very easy to sew. The inset tab on either side allows you to pull up the balloon to whatever height you wish, and allows you to "dress" the treatment to you liking. This is for STYLE and DETAILS only. I am NOT recommending this fabric. For your fabric, I would recommend a small scale print with a good color in the background to allow for a nice contrast with you neutral walls. http://www.plowhearth.com/floral%2dtoile%2dtie%2dup%2dvalance_p12904_s2002_d3084_c3105.html
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 9:26AM
PRO
karen paul interiors
Here is the perfect fabric. It has a large repeat which I would not ordinarily specify, but in the case of a balloon, the pattern is obscured anyway. Also, even though your rug is too small, I would keep it if you can follow through with some punch and color at and above eye level. http://www.fabricguru.com/?target=products&product_id=299831
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 12:24PM
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Aja,

On your quest for fabric - did you see of any vendors with polycharm? We need loads.

But I agree with Gary on the rug. How about putting the chairs on the corner. Why does it need to be square?
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 12:33PM
lindangu1020
I like the balloon "dog ear" kind of drapery. If I was to do a roman shade, do ya'll think two small roman shades would work? I read online that anything bigger than 50" roman shade will not be very practical and can be flimsy. I returned the rug. I think you guys are right, the area is too small for a rug.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 3:05PM
PRO
TGM cabinets, your comment re polycharms was offensive. You need to join a different forum.
Lindangu1020, I think you need to get your roman shade done custom.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 3:24PM
Jayme H.
Now I want to know what polycharm is.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 3:31PM
PRO
karen paul interiors
The balloon shade always needs to be dressed, so you would want to keep it at the same height all the time. That said, the balloon is only as flimsy as the fabric. If you have a fabric with a good weight, then your concern is not a problem. Also, even if you have a light weight cotton, you can always have the balloon lined, which is more money. The balloon shape would follow the three segments of your window, and it would be a single balloon. The divisions for your "poufs" would fall center of each segment of your window (3 all total). Sorry you had to return the rug. As most everyone has stated, it was too small. Sometimes, however, I will break the rules just for a look if it doesn't present a practical problem. If the area is used daily, then the removal of the rug is absolutely the thing to do. However, if the area is not used often, then I would consider breaking that rule. The only way the aesthetics would work is to have enough going on at eye level that the size of the rug is not immediately noticed. Anyway, this is all a moot point because you took back your rug.

Your rug (even though it was too small) acted as a ballast for the area. So now you might want to entertain the suggestions of painting the chairs, or at the very least finding seat cushions to add color, depth and texture. A contrast welt on a solid fabric could be nice, once you decide on your window fabric.

Also, people have referenced the other areas adjacent to the kitchen. Since what you have so far is so neutral, you would want to entertain the idea of picking up one of your more relevant colors from the other areas. This always makes for nice flow, most especially if you can see this kitchen vignette from the other rooms. Good luck!
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 3:32PM
Jayme H.
It's not on "google"...??
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 3:37PM
PRO
JMittman Designs
Lindangu1020, Do you need privacy? Or do you just want a valance as shown by Karen Paul Interiors? You can certainly do a roman shade over 50" with no problems--if it is fabricated correctly. Here is an EIGHT foot roman shade below. However, I would NOT recommend a relaxed roman shade (aka "dog ear drapery") with one swoop on a window the size of yours. It will look like bloomers hanging in your window.

Agree with Julie Thome Draperies--TGM your comment is inappropriate.

Aja Mazin--what is it you did not understand in my post?
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 3:39PM
Susanna
Lindangu,
a little trick for balloon valances that collapse, is to stuff some crumpled tissue paper inside. The white wrapping paper kind not Kleenex tissue! I'm not suggesting you stuff it full like a sausage but if you have collapsing or breaking spots it gives it an interior support. You never see it. You can also make it fuller if you want it to "stand up" more.
That tip is probably not what professionals would do, but it works and costs a dollar.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 5:11PM
Jayme H.
I do know that "Poly" means "many" but I am gathering this was an insult....
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 5:38PM
ggme
i like the way it looks together i love the mix of the colors on the table and chairs the rug looks nice too yes it is all a small area I have that problem too. I would paint the wall instead of the table and chairs.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 6:29PM
PRO
karen paul interiors
JM, I was suggesting three poufs to follow each section of the window rather than a single sweep. The beauty of a dog ear is generally accomplished in a narrow window with a single pouf. That said, it can still work in this situation. The only good reason to do the dog ear is to create a balloon that is more casual than the usual balloon shade and to create a different line from the current woven woods.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 6:39PM
PRO
JMittman Designs
Yeah--I know Karen, we were posting at the same time earlier--my post referred to your original link to the Plow and Hearth valance. I wanted the homeowner to know she would not achieve THAT look on her window.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 7:01PM
PRO
karen paul interiors
JM, question...it is just now occurring to me that the wovens do not stay? I was thinking of an over treatment, whereby the wovens (when pulled up), would be hidden behind the balloon during the day. Are we coming up with an altogether new treatment without the wovens? If that's the case, that's an entirely different scenario!
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 7:48PM
Jayme H.
I gathered it entailed perversion...go figure! Thx Susanna
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 8:04PM
Susanna
Yeah Jayme, but there is a Polycharm Industrial Co in China (they make electrical stuff) so who knows. I think clarification would be nice though.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 8:19PM
Jayme H.
I pulled up a bunch of stuff...I am just curious...Who knows? Weird!
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 8:40PM
Keitha
I'm all about trying to take a simple approach to your dilemma. I like the rug and think it could work out once a few other changes are made. Have you considered putting exterior shutters painted a weathered green on each side of the window? Unfortunately, the roller shades aren't working but roman shades in a nice pattern would be lovely. The table and chairs are nice just as they are but the chandelier over the table seems wrong... A little too small and hung a bit too high... Maybe something with a little warmer feel. You've gotten a LOT of advice to ponder... Good luck!
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 9:12PM
ei21622
I would consider changing the rug to a brighter color and not a pattern that is busy. The floor is tiled and that rug should be more solid with maybe a design on the border. I would paint the chairs to add a boost of color to the room. Regarding the window shade may want to hang some blinds. I do not know your color scheme to your kitchen. But tones and shades are pretty together, reds and greens, blues - purple and yellows. And for wall decorations small and simple since room is small and maybe angular frames since table is circular. Maybe add hint of color to the walls too! I hope this helps a little. I love color!
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 10:52PM
ei21622
Oh yeah forgot. Drapes would be too heavy looking for this area. I would not suggest in this small area to have curtains drop to the floor either.......Sheers are pretty and they have all sorts at KMart ... cheap. If you decide on blinds they have pretty valances to cover the top of the blinds. JC Penney's too has all sorts of window treatment ideas for that pretty window.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 11:00PM
PRO
JMittman Designs
@Karen Paul--Who knows???!! btw--congrats on your Best of 2013 award!
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 5:01AM
PRO
karen paul interiors
JM, Thanks for that. So am I to understand we are making suggestions without understanding the playing field? Linda, had you planned on keeping the wovens and adding an over-treatment Or were you wanting to start over with an altogether new treatment? If so, with the new, do you have privacy issues, too much light, not enough, etc.?
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 8:21AM
PRO
karen paul interiors
I just pulled up the perfect example of what I've been describing (with the wovens remaining). It's from JMittman Designs!
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 8:25AM
PRO
Grace Archives
Gallery walls are a classic look. I've got tons of vintage art prints that would look great mingled in with your family photos.

www.GraceArchives.etsy.com
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 9:17AM
PRO
karen paul interiors
Aja, I still don't know the answer. I have read every statement and response by Linda and I find no reference to the wovens staying or leaving. Sorry for using the collective "we". Never do I assume anything. That could have been either a singular or collective "we" which could be subject to interpretation. :)
2 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 9:29AM
Jayme H.
But have u watched the videos? Those will end any questions regarding fashion and drapery.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 9:34AM
mamachers
I think your walls need some color. Try ben moore's antique ivory it turns out a beautiful yellow color and try wooden blinds on the windows
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 9:42AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
good morning ladies
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 9:47AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
still at it I see, AJA I believe I am the one that suggested, the long drapery in this breakfastdining room, as it is ajoining the living room. My thinking is that the long panles with the blinds left next to the window will add needed interest, also the windows appears so low that any drapery that hang long enough to cover the apron of the window is nearly to the floor. Thus.....add a few inches more and call it full length.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 9:51AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
no doubt everyone will agree, once they understand. OMG did I just type that!
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 9:51AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
I hear I would like the long drapery panels as I sorta like the idea, and for a yard or two more I can achieve what is lacking as I wont be useing a rug. In that there is a roman woven at the windows and I (she) is watching the $$$ she can leave the woven and add a full lenght panel to either side (also this will cover the woven's edges as it is too large)

I kinda got that ........good idea Aja to pull this together.....
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 10:16AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
thats cool
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 10:19AM
Jayme H.
Hello Lindangu1020....What do you want and what will work better for your kitchen/dining area? Do you prefer full length drapery or not? Do you want a shade with drapery that is long or shorter), or just a shade? Do you want me to stop talking? I can do that too!! lol
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 10:20AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
What do you think? Still need help with window treatments!!...............as first stated by her. Then things got a bit wide with the comments ....not a bad idea, There was the question of ...are the full length appropriate for the area and to that I say...depending....depending on the fabric ! an open weave linen solid the color of the living room (or close in tone) That would work nicely and then add a great picture to the wall ......call it a day

Aja I just think adding only a top treatment, that idea stops short of giving the room the addtional fabric it could use to soften it hard surfaces.....

I still like you and your idea.....we just see things differently....I see I'm right and you're wrong!!! JUST KIDDING
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 10:26AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
WE have the FRIDAY night gang back together HI JAYME
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 10:27AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
I agree something fresh, would never thing of velvet brocade, but glad we agree on that ! where did the velvet brocade come from. You've been showing nice fresh fabrics. I just think patternless, solid might serve more to my liking
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 10:39AM
PRO
karen paul interiors
Aja, Perhaps I'm just the least bright bulb in the pack because I still don't know the answer and yes, I did watch the tutorial? When you offer a balloon idea and then go to a fabric roman shade, it just didn't make sense to me. If you do a balloon, that becomes a stationary treatment that doesn't provide privacy or protection from the sun. As we all know the balloon treatment must be continuously dressed if it is a "working" treatment. If you do a roman shade, then of course, one would assume there would be no woven blind underneath. In as much as she already has the woven that provides privacy, then I would assume she is looking to provide color and soften the window. That she expressed an interest in a light background does not mean this is the best decision, as her need for color is evident. That she questioned the size of the rug and not the color she was using, I felt to offer a background color while incorporating the color of her rug into the fabric would make sense. That she has sage in her living room does not change the incorporation of other colors and all the while including some semblance of a yellow-green in her window fabric. She expressed a need to spend no more than she needed to, so of course, I would assume there would be no need to remove the wovens. My original suggestion of the dog ear (picking up from your suggestion) is that this could be a very easy treatment to do, would require little or no sewing, and would require very little fabric as opposed to a full working treatment or any type of drapery (which Gary explained makes no sense). I would think it entirely practical to continue to ask the unanswered questions. I can't imagine how my questions could provide for such a provocative series of response. Really.
2 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 10:47AM
Jayme H.
Just think of the clash of great minds that occurred when the constitution was written! And somehow it all worked out.....LOL!!
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 10:47AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
there's banding at this end as well, never said puddle.....
OKAY TEAM

TIME FOR FINAL ANSWER.........................................................

one of AJA's fresh fabrics, on two staionary panels and a common rod, for a butterfly/roman of the same fabric

Please VOTE.....only once!
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 11:21AM
Jayme H.
Whatever the homeowner wants
2 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 11:24AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
choose a side Jayme, you've made it this far.................................we are here to asist.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 11:26AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
NO come on everyone................................panels or shade........................time to time to drape or swag
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 11:27AM
Jayme H.
Only personal opinion, but this area seems too informal to me to have floor length drapery. This type of home (pic) is where I see those types of things.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 11:50AM
PRO
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 11:54AM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
the above it the reason to NOT do short curtains....they have an odd look at that lenght....but consider if the above were long.....they would still be casual
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 11:57AM
Judit
hello lindangu, the leafy fabric is from IKEA
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 12:04PM
Jayme H.
I have seen casual, long curtains that did look nice...it's all about what the lifestyle is as well...cats and dogs, kids, grandkids etc often influence these decisions.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 12:17PM
PRO
JMittman Designs
Lol. I think Aja Mazin should make all the decisions for the homeowner as apparently she has all the answers to the homeowner's questions--though several others have read the same words differently, as has been pointed out more than once. Interior design professionals know to ask the specific questions needed to assure they are solving the client's needs in the best way. This thread has some ridiculous snide comments not necessary to the discussion. There are also three separate threads by the homeowner asking for help on the same topic, so yes, the homeowner is probably frustrated.
3 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 12:26PM
Darzy
I have standard ceiling height in my informal dining space so I put floor to ceiling drapery panels for "height" and I'm glad I did. Lindaangu..If you liked the rug, but are returning because it is too small. You may like these curtains.

3 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 12:30PM
Keitha
Darzy is right. I had a bedroom window that looked choppy so I added drapery panels all the way to the ceiling and it really helped! If you have room you could hang cute plates above the window with a similar effect?
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 1:23PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
careful with the cute
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 1:24PM
Keitha
Oops... I'm new at this! The top of the window doesn't show in the attachment I just sent from my iPad but if you touch the picture it will show the entire image
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 1:39PM
Darzy
Aja...the curtains are Z Gallery. Houzz product.
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 2:06PM
PRO
Budget Blinds
Keep us in mind when it's time to order http://www.budgetblinds.com
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 2:10PM
Susanna
Ok, I'm back with my hard hat and Kevlar vest on :-) to ask an interior design question about this. If you can see this window AND the windows from the living room, would different drapery here look like an "oops, ran out of sage green drapery so I bought this drapery" ?
Wouldn't the change to a different treatment, like balloon etc. define the space as being a kitchen...Especially if the windows are close?
Put me in the balloon valance group. Give me a second to get behind the bulletproof glass......ok, fire away.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 2:18PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
i seem to think there is a wall between the spaces
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 2:29PM
PRO
karen paul interiors
I'm thinking this might be unique. They are available in a light color and any number of possibilities can be had with those velcro straps both vertically and horizontally. You just never know where an out of the box idea will come from. Susanna, you are genius! :)
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 2:31PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
@#$%^&*(()_()(*&^^&%^$#%$#%#^%&*(&**(**(*^&%^$%#$@ we've been here a few days ago
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 2:33PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
no absolutes .......the two in any case should work together, but they may be totally different...thats were the majic and the art come in
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 2:42PM
Jayme H.
Lindang1020...where for art thou?
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 3:36PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
good question, maybe she has a LIFE lol.....Jayme thinking we should have lunch this week what do you think
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 3:38PM
Jayme H.
I would do lunch in a heart beat! Love to meet interesting people who can take a joke and fire one back!!
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 5:23PM
lindangu1020
Hi everyone, thank you for all the comments/advice!
I guess I'm having so much trouble with the window treatments is b/c although I would love to have an open window, I need the option for it to be covered for privacy. The previous owners are good friends with our current neighbors. They didn't have a full fence built between the two houses. So now, in the breakfast eat in area window, when the shades are up, we can see the neighbors and the neighbors can see us.
Previously, there were cream wood blinds on the windows. I didn't like how it looked so I played with it and tried full length drapes on it. Noone seems to agree on that idea so I took it down and the wood blinds. I decided to try the bamboo shades. But the bamboo shades didn't provide any privacy, it was very see-through.
So here I am.... I like roman shades but it wouldn't provide any privacy unless it was put down all the time. My husband suggested to solve this window problem by just building a full fence!...which we will later one but in the meantime, I still have no idea what to do with the windows. I agree with all of ya'll that the area needs color but that's the thing, I don't know how to add the color. I'm really thinking about just painting the walls.
I know I need art work, but I want to focus on one thing first and make sure it works before moving on to something else...a little at a time. I get so overwhelmed and confused!
Another problem added, we recently found out that we had some water damage to our wood floors in the foyer, so we'll have to replace those floors. Since I don't like the kitchen tiles, I thought this would be a great opportunity to change the kitchen floors too! Any suggestions on what kind of flooring to do in the kitchen? My husband doesn't want wood floors in there.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 6:31PM
lindangu1020
Kitchen backsplash...need a flooring that would go with this backspalsh
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 6:36PM
lindangu1020
The rest of the kitchen
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 6:39PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
wow nice there is a porcelain tile I used several years ago that resembles the tumbled stone try to find it and use in the 12 x 12
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 6:48PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
linda what type of work do you do......everything is so unlived in ....I'm thinking you travel a good deal
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 6:50PM
PRO
I think in the short term you need a cheap blackout roller shade to give you privacy when you need it. Then you need to decide if you want the panels or another window treatment on your windows. Tie it in to the window over the sink. You've had differing opinions here. At the end of the day it is your choice. You need art and you need color. Experiment with samples of paint colors and fabric cuttings, and see what you like there.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 6:55PM
lindangu1020
Gary do you remember what tile you used? That stone was put in by the previous owners. It's just my husband and I that lives here. House is pretty bare. Still slowly filling in the house with furniture and decor.
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 7:03PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
i see...................... you could use the same stone on the floor that we see on the back splash only that it would be more difficult to care for and it is more costly....take the image of the splash around to tile stores and ask
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 7:09PM
Susanna
Thanks Karen!
I am new to Houzz and carry the scars to prove it! :-)
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 7:31PM
PRO
karen paul interiors
To Susanna: Yes, I saw your comments on the need help with the bathroom scenario. No one gets away unscathed because there is always someone who needs to reinforce that their opinion needs to become religion because of their background, education, experience...blah, blah, blah, blah. Susanna, no one will care...really. It's unfortunate but it's very easy to ruffle feathers. Never apologize. Simply state your opinion and if need be simply state it again and even back it up with specifics. It's all you can do. Always keep in mind that you are helping someone with a question and hopefully you can offer something inspirational and helpful. Wlecome to Houzz you brave new person! Just put some oil on your feathers and dig in, always keeping your eye on the prize....the homeowner who needs answers and is hoping he/she is getting decent advice. You're doing great! :)
6 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 8:19PM
Susanna
Thank you for the kind words of encouragement, Karen. Yes, that could have gotten ugly or should I say uglier....Hopefully, I ended it well as I don't want the people asking questions to feel like they are suddenly hosting the WWE wrestling match. Nevertheless, I have learned to keep my background to myself and erased it from my profile. It opens too many paths for people to go off on a tangent. Thanks again for the kindness!
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 8:56PM
PRO
karen paul interiors
I disagree...don't erase it from your profile because Houssers who look into your profile will be interested. What I'm saying is don't use it (your background) to enhance your position with your suggestions. It will only backfire at the expense of the people who really need help. Unfortunately there are egos that need to be massaged from time to time, and that is OK because it really is part and parcel of our industry. Creative people need lots of stroking...and you understand that being an artist yourself. Just wave your arms around a lot and take deep breaths and don't forget to always smile! :)
2 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 9:45PM
Darzy
Karen and Susanna...now I'm curious. Which thread was that? I must have missed it. Let me at 'em. lol
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 10:16PM
Darzy
@Susanna...I found the thread and definately don't worry about it! :)
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 12:33AM
Brooke Olson
This is like the dream team (minus a few rotten eggs) post! OMG...would love to have this dream team help me with my new home. OP is super lucky to have all these designers' input! (Maybe you'd all like to help me!!! ;-)
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 2:59PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
BROOKE ....I'm in!!! where the new house
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 3:06PM
Brooke Olson
Delaware, Ohio!!!
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 3:07PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
or am I viewed as one of those day old breakfast menu items you mentioned
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 3:08PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
whats you budget, a wise lady as you must have thought of what you are wanting to spend/invest
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 3:09PM
Brooke Olson
BUT...I've got TONS of photos. We had to move do to my husband's job restructuring. :-( have a 7 year old with autism and and 8 yo daughter and parents that live with us! So we needed LOTS of space. Have 7100sft. in the new home, and it's fabulous. BUT...it's a foreclosure, so all the window treatments are gone and more. I'll start a new post, but you have to look for it...PROMISE!!!! GARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!????
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 3:10PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
sounds as it there is a tall order here.....we need the television crew to start rolling
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 3:12PM
PRO
GARY FINLEY, ASID
i'll play but there needs to be a CAPTAIN
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 3:15PM
Brooke Olson
OMG...that would be AWESOME. I love it. I do know a great news lady who might do a feature!
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 3:27PM
Brooke Olson
Captain Jack??? We know him well...LOL But, really I agree, needs to be a captain.
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 3:29PM
PRO
JMittman Designs
Hi Brooke! We're neighbors!!
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 3:42PM
Anne Harry
The rug is a little too small.YET I love the style with this color.And you need a different lighting fixture. http://www.jollyhome.com/lighting_076
0 Likes   July 22, 2013 at 8:34PM