powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Exterior Makeover- Porch and paint colors, removing cedar shakes.
lambslynn
January 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
We are at a loss on what to do to make our house look as updated on the outside as it is on the inside! Ideas??
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
Mark Rogers
You have a classic storm door there, not sure I'd touch that. All new siding after losing the cedar. Would really update if the roof were metal. Barring the obvious I might coat the porch with textured color, and plant a dwarf fruit tree :0)
January 24, 2013 at 8:52pm   
PRO
CASTLE Design Studio LLC
Hi Lamby, I had fun just doing some scribbly sketches reimagining your front facade going a little mid-century mod because of it's horizontal lines. Please feel free to redirect the style and I'll play with a different approach. In this mid-century mod approach, I'd suggest a monochromatic color scheme with a simple/clean storm door showing the entire door behind it. More details to discuss but I should first hear about your style. Best, insideoutDiane
January 24, 2013 at 11:12pm     
Jean Tuck
Really not liking green on garage door, I think white to match door and white shutters might just give it a more tailored look.Maybe even some boxwood rose bushes alternate colors alongthe front would be nice, and brass home numbers too!I am a fan of white rails along porch area . Using pictures print from computer draw on the changes i suggested and see how it looks to you a rough draft like that maybe the thing to try when doing an upgrade..
January 24, 2013 at 11:24pm   
timberskunk
You got to much going on as far as different colors and differnt materials, the shake has to go, the garage door should match the trim and what is up with the windows the shutters need to be the same color as the trim too. What about some plants, planter boxes under the windows, in the yard maybe even a small tree infront. like the girls scetches. the front of the house and garage are too busy and the landscape is to blank.
January 24, 2013 at 11:32pm     
timberskunk
I had a porch like your and I built a very low deck that was the same height as my porch to extend almost all the way to the end of the house. Put some patio chairs and a table with some color and some plants and a bench to sit on. that way your porch is now the whole lenght of the front of you house. Hanging plants too.
January 24, 2013 at 11:34pm   
lambslynn
Aren't the windows so strange?!!? The house was painted like this when we moved in but there were big wooden house numbers too! The yard was all rock and there was a 30 foot pine tree in front of the window that made our living as dark as a basement! We ripped out all the rock and the tree and focused on getting grass to grow last year and put in a sprinkler system. No we are focusing on the porch and painting the house. Roof will probably have to be next year : ) I'm loving the ideas though, the sketches are great!!! On the right of the porch is a big flower garden that has 4 rose bushes and a ton of bullbs and ivy so I dont think I will take that out.
January 25, 2013 at 10:04am     
cherc
I don't know your style or budget either. Our house is similar to yours only on the far right is an upper level making is split level :( So ugly! Here is a picture of a somewhat similar house with porch additions.
http://www.houzz.com/trk/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5KR0RldmVsb3BtZW50LmNvbQ/80775c50762002b76b7e31a9fb23d7a3/user/437092r
January 25, 2013 at 10:16am     
cherc
Sorry, that was not the specific picture info. above
January 25, 2013 at 10:22am   
lambslynn
Wow that's gorgeous!!! But I definitely don't want to do that to this house lol. We are planning on building a new house within the next year and want to make this one more sellable without going too crazy. I'm putting that in the idea book for the new house tho : )
January 25, 2013 at 10:24am   
cherc
Got it!! Congratulations and thanks for your kind response ;)
January 25, 2013 at 10:29am     
lambslynn
I put a summer picture on my profile so you can get a better idea of what we're working with
January 25, 2013 at 10:50am