Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen Backsplash
Melissa Fischer
January 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hello All! Im in need of some assistance with my kitchen backsplash. I recently fell in love a mirrored mosiac tile. Im not sure if A. It will look good and B. If its functional? Has anyone worked with this type of product, do you think it would look good in my kitchen? If not, does anyone have any suggestions? Any help is appreciated!!

Thank you for reporting this. Undo
jannielee
What is your countertop material/color?
January 24, 2013 at 10:17pm   
PRO
Engrav's Decorating
Mosaic tiles will shrink your space and make it look busy. Choose a larger tile with fewer grout lines w
and create a softer look. You could clips some corners on the tile and add an accent. Tile is a great choice for your backsplash. Good luck
January 24, 2013 at 11:02pm     
PRO
wild development
I would think it would be a nightmare to keep clean if the entire back splash wasmirrored glass....can you use it as an accent in smaller amounts? with the lighter cabinets you might want to have a pop of color there?
January 24, 2013 at 11:20pm     
Matteo Dezigns
I would go more hi-tech with a stainless steel subway tile...it will be amazing!
www.matteodezigns.com
January 24, 2013 at 11:39pm     
hamburgerbudget
I could imagine that a mirrored glass, mirror type, may leave cleaning smudges. However, glass tiles are so much easier to keep clean than stainless, especially over the stove. I see you are ready for a new, perhaps euro type, stove hood. I absolutely love mine, the fire alarm no longer goes off when broiling steaks, it is so efficient. I used a gray 3 x6 subway ran vertically just in the stove area to contrast the random mosaic that I had no choice picking out. Love that crazy combination now too. Wish you fun cooking in your new kitchen.
January 25, 2013 at 1:26am     
Walter Frazier
Glass mirror would not be functional and would be busy. How would you keep them clean in a kitchen? Just go industrial with sheets of stainless steel. It's already a knock out kitchen. You don't need much more. Keep it simple.
January 25, 2013 at 1:43am     
janellemaree
Love the cabinets! Consider pressed metal / tin panelsas a splashback. It has a similar glamorous look as the tiles you love, but without the grout issues. There are lots if different designs - with some mimicking tiles.
January 25, 2013 at 2:30am     
PRO
bathhousewirral
Wow the cabinets are really beautiful.
January 25, 2013 at 3:29am     
Melissa Fischer
BathHouseWirral: Thank You! We had them made locally here in California. Believe it or not, they were actually pretty affordable. Were really happy with them, let me know if you would like any contact info!
January 25, 2013 at 8:47am   
Melissa Fischer
JannieLee:
Thanks for your response! Our countertop is made by Cambria, the color is Waverton. http://www.cambriausa.com/our-collection/design-palette/Waverton/
January 25, 2013 at 8:52am   
Melissa Fischer
WalterFrazier: Thanks for the help! Originally we looked at a few stainless steel options but we got side tracked when we found the Mirrored Tiles. Sounds like we need to get back on track with the stainless! Thanks for the advice/help!!
January 25, 2013 at 8:58am   
Melissa Fischer
JanelleMaree: Never considered the metal tiles! Another great option, and the installation would be a breeze!! Thanks a 1,000,000!
January 25, 2013 at 9:00am   
Marilyn Wilkie
Please, choose color! To me stainless is NOT stainless. It needs frequent cleaning or it will stain. Bring some life into the kitchen with color, don't kill it with neutral death. There are so many beautiful tiles available now, it a shame to just walk the line that everyone else walks. Especially with such a beutiful blank canvas like you have.
January 25, 2013 at 9:03am   
Melissa Fischer
EngravsDecorating: Thanks for the response. Considering a stainless subway option...
January 25, 2013 at 9:04am   
Marilyn Wilkie
color....
January 25, 2013 at 9:06am   
Melissa Fischer
MatteoDezigns: Looking at this option now! Thank You!!
January 25, 2013 at 9:07am   
Melissa Fischer
MarilynWilkie: I like color, any ideas on a color? I have Dark Brown Wood Floors. My kitchen opens up into my Living room, the walls are Pashmina by Benjamin Moore. THanks for all of your help!
January 25, 2013 at 9:22am   
PRO
wild development
I did a back splash with subway tile and a stainless and glass accent and it looks really cool...picture attached
January 25, 2013 at 11:21am     
PRO
Promethean Remodeling, LLC
You have to keep in mind that the more grout joints there are the harder to clean. Use your special tile as an accent in a border or behind the stove as in "wild development photos" or choose one area to feature the tile, like at a service area, breakfront, etc .
January 25, 2013 at 12:27pm   
Marilyn Wilkie
The Benjamin Moore Pashmina is very pretty. It should not be hard to coordinate something with it. Dark floors are very elegant.

Promethean, We have 14 running feet of small glass mosaic tile backsplash with the section behind the main sink running to the top of the cabinets. We have absolutely no problem with dirt. We simply wipe off anything that splashes on the tile and the grout lines are sealed well.

I love the tile from this company, but there are so many places to find it. Many places online will discount their tile. http://www.hakatai.com
http://www.hakatai.com/imagegallery.aspx

Wild Development...I love your example!! It's just beautiful.
January 25, 2013 at 1:47pm   
More Discussions
Please help! How can I make my bedroom look cosy and just better!
Hi I'm a teenager and would love some advice on how...
Need Help with Updating Exterior - Paint - Change Cement Siding
I want to update the exterior of this house. Right...
Exterior dilemma
We are looking at buying this house. It was built in...
Any tips on what is missing?
I feel something is missing in this hallway, any ideas?...
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.