powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Please help! There's an old kitchen in our "new" house!
aebj
January 24, 2013 in Design Dilemma
This house was built in 1972 and hasn't been touched since. our budget is getting tight. Any suggestions for this kitchen? We think the big cabinets on the end that the seller called a pantry, is a support and has to stay. :-(. No money for new cabinets. We were thinking wood look vinyl planks flooring. I'm into yellow and cobalt blue, but I'm afraid of overwhelming the space. Open floor is about 10' x 10'. What is the current design favorite for kitchen lighting now! Sorry for the bad pix. They were the seller's pictures. I'm torn between trying to drag it into the 21st century and playing up the old fashioned side by somehow going quirky. Thoughts?
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jean Tuck
Instead of florescent lighting why not try the string of Christmas lights in the long clear tube that people use ove doorways, it provide longer lighted area and tuck the wiring for the plug into those little stick on holder for this right up in next to bottom of top cupboard for nicer look, decals on the ceramics jars might be nice. Maybe paint front of dishwasher same as front of stove the brown looks a bit out of place. Just my 2 cents worth.
3 Likes   January 24, 2013 at 11:31PM
aebj
Yes, we are going to replace the dishwasher with a new white one.
2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 12:10AM
PRO
Barbra Bright Design
For a quick update change the hardware, sink, faucet, hood and dishwasher. If your budget allows replace the countertop--the current one looks like Formica (which is budget friendly, but could be a color!). Lastly, take down the wall paper and paint the walls yellow (your favorite color). Accessorize the kitchen with cobalt blue accents ( your other favorite color). Oh, and take down the fan and replace with a light only.

With some or all of these changes along with a new plank floor--your kitchen will look fresh and updated. Good luck and post after photos.
17 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 12:52AM
Walter Frazier
Paint the cabinet with very white paint, change hardware with chrome. Colbalt blue glass tile back splash. Maybe consider a chrome or steel dishwasher. Under counter florescent lights are great and affordable. Accent with yellow towels and accessories.
10 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 1:34AM
charleee
Maybe something like this? [houzz=
]
13 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 4:49AM
Jon Schluenz
It looks like the layout of the space isnt that bad. I am doubtful that the cabinet is structural, unless you can see a post hidden behind it. I like the photo by olldbobbi, and think the color scheme would look great. Update lighting, and consider new countertops. I think that butcher block is a great way to go, when your on a tight budget, although it does require maintenance. They can really warm up a space. I would also suggest a backsplash treatment , something neutral and not too busy since it is a smaller space. Under cabinet lighting on a dimmer switch would light your work spaces and give you options for mood lighting when entertaining. Its also pretty cheap ru run from existing electrical, as long as its up to building codes. Have fun and good luck!
4 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 5:12AM
Jon Schluenz
ps. ceiling fan ? Good bye ceiling fan. Hello school house lighting.
15 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 5:15AM
sacapuntaslapioz
what is your budget for the kitchen?
2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 5:19AM
aniluap2
Barbara Bright Designs had the most inexpensive and practical fix. Removing the wallpaper, fan,replacing the knobs ,dishwasher and floor will immediately give the kitchen a much needed face lift. I like a well lit kitchen and like to use halogen lighting . Your ceilings appear low so if the budget allows you could use 4" recessed low voltage lights if not I would use a track that has small halogen lights that you can aim in different directions. ( home depot and lowes have inexpensive options) I can't tell if your cabinets are Formica or painted but oldbobbi suggestions is great if they are paintable. Yellow is a tricky color since depending on the light in your kitchen it can appear much brighter than the paint chip. You want to use a light, creamy yellow-one shade lighter than you want it to be-since the finished product will reflect off other cabinets and appear darker. Also ,painting cabinets is a lot of work to make it durable, and if you're doing it yourself ,you need to consider that. You could always bring in yellow with wall color.
7 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 5:46AM
PRO
Heights Homes
The pantry stays. Bring yellow in with a Mexican tile backsplash, randomly placing cobalt blue tiles in it. Lose the yellow curtain and put in 2' blinds with a valance. Trim the soffitt with crown on top and lip mould around the bottom. Then paint it all the same color as the cabinets, which should be white to match the stove and new dishwasher. Trimming and painting the soffitt will make it look like an extension of the cabinets. Other than that I would not do anything to emphasize it. The off-white of the cabinets now looks dingy compared to the pure white stove. Adding cabinet hardware would add some punch. For the floor, consider 12 x 12 vct tile in muted tones, in perhaps even a checkerboard pattern. It is inexpensive and relatively easy to install. You can find it in colors to coordinate with the yellow and blue you like but a little softer. To me, wood look just wouldn't go. Consider can lighting. Again, not expensive and easy to install, and would provide excellent lighting and would contribute to a cleaner look. Four of them should do. Also, paint the hood to match the stove. Good luck!
4 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 5:59AM
sacapuntaslapioz
for a must do list: rip out the wallpaper. get rid of the fan. go ahead, paint the cabinets a cobalt blue. use smarttiles for a backslash (sold at lowes and home depot). love the schoolhouse fixture suggested by Jon. do the vinyl floor planks in a light color like a maple or pickled white. paint the kitchen in bright white.
alternatively go with timeless black and white: black and white vinyl floor tiles or cobalt blue vinyl floor, white cabinets and black countertop. then add cobalt blue knobs. take down the doors in the 2 cabinets near the sink and leave them frameless. paint the back cobalt blue. display your glasses and bowls there or something pretty and useful.
If you have room for a kitchen table, get mismatched chairs and paint them all blue. a stunner kitchen not out of a bland cookie cutter.

[houzz=Kathia's Old Kitchen]
[houzz=Modern Kitchen][houzz=Supon Phornirunlit/ Naked Decor][houzz=Minnesota Private Residence][houzz=Phinney Residence kitchen][houzz=Vintage Residence]
4 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 6:09AM
sacapuntaslapioz
some pictures
2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 6:10AM
sacapuntaslapioz
and some more
8 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 6:11AM
aebj
Thank you for your help! I love the pendant lights and cam lights. Your suggestions of white cabinets and appliances will unify the kitchen and brighten it up. New hardware will certainly help! Chrome maybe.

If we go with yellow walls, with cobalt accents, what color would you suggest for the countertops? What about the backsplash?

I didn't clarify very well that the pantry backs up to the dining room area. I'm sorry I don't have a picture to show that.

Thank you again!
2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 3:06PM
sacapuntaslapioz
If you do yellow walls and cobalt accents and white cabinets, the countertops have to be either white or black.
2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 5:49PM
aebj
Yes... I think you're right.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 4:11AM
aebj
I talked to a designer about the kitchen as part of a whole house update (walls, floors, lighting). If done at the same time, she suggested replacing the kitchen cabinets, eliminating the pantry. She would extend the countertop in that area, giving more workspace by the sink. We would gain only a normal size cabinet bottom. Not counting the appliances, the estimate was $7500. She would also put in a corner cabinet by the stove with a couple revolving shelves.

The other side of the kitchen, backed up to the pantry, is the only eating space. I have a formal, beautiful, dining room suite. I would like to use the table there. The china cabinet wouldn't fit, so it would have to go into the adjacent living room area, which has plenty of room.

At this time the whole house is empty.

I'm adding a couple of screen shots of the back of the pantry. Not the best of pictures, but hopefully, will help you visualize.

My husband is very opposed to replacing the cabinets and eliminating the top of the pantry. I would like to gain more openness and countertop, but am also reluctant to lose the pantry.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 12:42PM
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Yes, I'd give the same estimate on a 10x10. SO that sounds right. However, I would suggest adding depth to cabinets.. Making the countertop the same depth as the frig which could alleviate some pain of no pantry - if you go that route. We have a great semi-custom line we like to use to compete with the imports/stock lines. It allows to make the changes like depth increase within a reasonable price range when someone is on a tight budget and not brand aware.
3 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 1:03PM
aniluap2
I agree with your designer the pantry really closes in the space. If your soffits are decorative you could also remove and have longer cabinets that go to the ceiling , it would give you an extra shell on top to use for things that are not often needed.
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 3:34PM
aebj
TMG Cabinets, thank you for you comment on the price. That validation is good to have!
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 4:05PM
aebj
Anilup2, I don't know about the soffits, whether or not they are used for ductwork or just cosmetic. Do you know how I can find out without tearing them up? Taller cabinets would be great to have!
2 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 4:09PM
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
No problem. Just read the warranty, the contract, check the list of cabinets and read the spec/construction of the cabinets. It doesn't matter if it's particle board if you have a good warranty and the manufacturer has been around 15-20years or more. But keep in mind you are investing money. Money you buy for your cars, clothes, food, cosmetic, shoes, entertainment is throwing money in the toilet. Money you put in your kitchen is a return on investment. The housing market is going up. The older the kitchen, the more you will see for putting in new cabinets and new countertop. Old homes see 90-125% back in your pocket. It increase the value of your home and that is a good place to get money if anyone gets sick and you need more money later. It's better to do this right than wrong. You can hurt the value of your home by doing this wrong. You should spend 10% minimum-20% maximum of the home's current value on the kitchen. Half of that should be in the cabinets alone. See my website under budgeting and check my blog for the latest news on the housing market. THat is the right way to not decrease the value of your home when redoing your kitchen. Yes, it matters...see the reports that will show this.
http://tgmcabinets.weebly.com
6 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 4:40PM
anitajoyce
Paint the cabinets white and add brushed nickel knobs to them. Paint the walls in a mustard color. Place a blind on the window . The floors you mentioned will be a nice update. To bring in blue, place a nice rug on the floor that has blue, mustard, tan and beige in it. You can also being in some blue with other accessories also. You can Drag your kitchen into the 20th century.
2 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 5:01PM
aebj
Anitajoyce: A rug! Great idea!! Mustard...hmmm....hadn't thought of that! I like it! Thanks!
1 Like   January 26, 2013 at 5:08PM
aebj
TGM Cabinets: Thank you! I agree the a renovated kitchen will no doubt yield a great return. Thanks also for the budgeting info. I don't think we are going to be able to put that much into the kitchen. We have decided to add a second bath, which is going to know our funds down significantly.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 5:22PM
anitajoyce
You're welcome!
Will you be replacing the countertop? Please post pictures of your new updated kitchen.
0 Likes   January 26, 2013 at 5:31PM
aniluap2
TGM cabinets can you help with knowing if soffit is purely decorative without opening up to see?
0 Likes   January 27, 2013 at 7:53AM
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Anilaup
Well, I would not like to advise unless I was standing in your home. How about pricking a whole in it large enough you can puddy back and peak. I'd look for old house plans or ask a friend/family member to take a peak.

I do want to reiterate one thing. We all know (women know) a good bra and girdle are the most important part of the wardrobe. But the wrong one and the whole outfit isn't worth it or goes wrong..Keep that in mind...
This is an investment in your property which affects your bank account and portfolio. This isn't a place to go painting old cabinets. Your value on your home affects your neighborhood. Your neighborhood adjusts the county, adjust the states and adjust the USA. This isn't a game. I just want to stress that DIY should be weighed heavily in the kitchen. Fine, install cabinets yourself, paint yourself, do tile yourself but muddying up a diy in your kitchen is serious business. If you haven't done anything like it before....start in another area of your house and get serious family members to help who can and know what they are doing. And anyone advising to do diy in your kitchen...doesn't understand the importance or value of property. yes, it is important to save money...just not in the kitchen.

Or Go to a church and find a handyman who can do something you need that isn't for beginners who will do it on the side to save money. But your kitchen is a place to spend money. Your clothes, your car, your entertainment demands and eating at restaurant does nothing for your portfolio like investing in your kitchen.

On the flip side it is as important to not go over the 20% of the homes value on the remodel for people who will get a professional..it is throwing money away unless there are extreme circumstances - like it's not for a handicap person and you have to add that in the remodel, etc.

But again, do not paint these cabinets. They are old. Save and find a good sale with a decent MSRP on the cabinets and countertop. If you seek you shall find.

See budgeting on need2know at http://tgmcabinets.weebly.com
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 3:44PM
PRO
Blinds Direct Canada
1 Like   January 27, 2013 at 3:48PM
aebj
Anitajoyce, Yes, we will be replacing the countertops.
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 1:55PM
anitajoyce
Do you know what you will replace the countertops with and what color?
0 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 3:27PM
PRO
MarbleWarehousecom
Check out granite slab - it looks awesome and there are hundreds of choices to achieve
2 Likes   January 30, 2013 at 3:51PM
aebj
Demo has begun! We found panelling under the wallpaper. Who knows why they had panelling. I guess it was part of their decorating scheme way back when....
3 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 12:37AM
Frances Shears
Painted paneling is GREAT for the texture! If it were my kitchen and I was into yellow and cobalt blue....I would paint the walls a light/creamy yellow (you have to be careful with yellows) change out the hardware...Add a tile backsplash....Find a yellow and cobalt blue fabric (toile maybe) that you like...have a roman shade made.....if you don't want to spend money on someone making it...you can go to lowes and buy a white fabric shade.....then go to the fabric store and pick out some fun trim or buy 1/4 of the yard of the fabric you like! Cut a strip of the fabric to make as a band at the bottom ......use fabric glue if you do not sew...or even a glue gun and glue that band on your roman shade! You can even add some trim as well....go to Silk Tree Factory Or Trees and Trends I think it is now....get a $9.99 rug....throw in some dish towels to match......go to walmart, fleamarket, antique stores, worldmarket, target, TJMAXX, somewhere that is "cheap" and buy a few accent pieced ....and WALA....You can even go to Michaels and buy a canvas.....paint colors of choice and "create your own masterpiece to hang! I would throw the ceiling fan out and get a FUN pendant of some sort! Go To ikea (if you are lucky enough to have one) or even walmart and get a "butchers block" as an "island...and CALL IT A DAY SISTER!!! Have fun with your project! :-)
9 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 1:52AM
Frances Shears
Ok...and the rug I was talking about is a natural sisal type woven rug that I SWEAR BY!!!! I have JUST now read all of the GREAT fun comments! I would save your 7500 and buy some furniture from World Market right now! LIKE TOMORROW!! They have down Luxe sofas and chairs for NEXT TO NOTHING! If you sign up for their rewards program you get an extra 15% off the sale price! You cant beat it! :-) YOU COULD DO SOOO MUCH WITH $7500.00! I am a design on a dimer and you could furnish your WHOLE house and then some with $7500.00! :-).....Just sayin! Again, have fun and I can't wait to see pics!
4 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 2:02AM
aebj
Michael K Shears: I have some chipped Blue Willow plates I've been saving. Trying to figure out how to work them into the backsplash. Any suggestions? Would the rug make a falling hazard in the kitchen? Don't want to be falling!
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 3:17AM
aebj
Marble warehouse.com: That flame piece is beautiful!! I'm sure somebody will be tickled to get it!
2 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 3:25AM
aniluap2
Rugs are a tripping hazard in kitchens and although the concept is terrific sisal shows watermarks and cannot be cleaned so is not very practical for a kitchen. As for your blue willow plates you old smash them , draw a curvy, flowing pattern on your back splash and fill it in with the patterned plates with smashed white tile pieces around it, creating a mosaic or you could just go a random pattern with smashed white tile and blue willow plates. Depending on how obvious the chipping is you could hang them with different sized and patterned blue willow plates and patters on your soffit with plate hangers.
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 5:37AM
aebj
Since its a rural area, I really don't want to lay on the floor with a broken leg for who knows how long.
:-(
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 5:52AM
PRO
Rustica Hardware
If you are considering an island, a butcher block counter top would look great in your kitchen. You can order them finished or unfinished with either maple, mahogany, cherry, or walnut. http://chopbloccuttingboards.com/butcher-block-countertops/
3 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 10:52AM
PRO
Galleria Place
We have some very nice decor and appliances that would go great in the new kitchen redesign.
Here is a link to our decor: http://www.bargainbacker.com/Decor-_c_8.html
We have French styles, modern, country and much more.
Here are our bargain priced appliances: http://www.bargainbacker.com/Small-Appliances_c_577.html
2 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 10:54AM
aebj
Anilaup2: love your idea for the Blue Willow Mosiac! I don't know if I am talented enough to pull it off. Maybe I can get some help for that, tho.
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 11:01AM
aebj
Rustica Hardware: We are looking at countertops today. I don't think there's really room for an island. Thanks for the suggestions!
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 11:05AM
aniluap2
Hi I looked up making mosaics with china plates and there are several tutorials. They suggest that you use cutters not a hammer to break the plates up and there are ideas of patterns you may want to imitate or get an artistic friend to help with a more abstract design. Looks like it could be a lot of fun ...like putting a puzzle together. It would be a really cool feature to your kitchen and you could simplify everything else and let that take center stage. Post a picture if you decide to follow thru with it would love to see it or whatever else you decide to do.
2 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 1:27PM
PRO
Eagledzines
It looks like some of the hinges are painted and some are not. I would finish painting them. Also, until you could get your new dishwasher, you could spray the dishwasher with a Rustoleum white primer and then a white gloss. Might take a couple or three coats.
If you decide to replace the countertop, a postformed one is cheaper than a laminated custom made one.
2 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 2:58PM
PRO
Eagledzines
Backsplash ideas:
3 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 3:10PM
PRO
William Roy Designer Kitchens
Did anyone suggest taking down the decorations on the soffit above the wall cabinets and painting the boxed in area to match the cabinets and rest of wall in another color. Add a nice (affordable) back splash and some great hardware and you have a classy re-do. William Roy
3 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 4:14PM
aebj
Anilaup2: Thanks for looking that up. They make it look so easy! I don't think I would find it that effortless and I'm afraid to have my kitchen done by a beginner (ME). It's a great idea. If I could find somebody I trusted to do it, that would be a good way to go. Maybe I will do a broken china mosaic serving tray to put on the counter.
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 5:10PM
aebj
Eagledzines: We are replacing the dishwasher with a new white model. Thanks for the tile pix. We are also replacing the hardware with something silver colored (nickel, chrome, not sure yet). I love the cobalt square backsplash. That would be very pretty.
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 5:13PM
aebj
William Roy: Thanks for the suggestions! The decorations on the soffits are gone, as is the wallpaper. We will be painting the soffits once we finally decide on the color. Hardware will be replaced. Keep the ideas coming!
1 Like   February 1, 2013 at 5:20PM
Frances Shears
I am actually in the middle of a kitchen redo myself! In the wee ours of the morning by accident I was logged into my brothers account (who is a builder).....SOOOO..if you are confused my the "name" change....I am now on MY Houzz account....which is linked...long story...BUT anyhoo..... I was actually at Homedepot today looking at some tile! They have some GREAT affordable tile you may want to check out! Since you like the fun artistic look.....(and BTW...LOVE the plate mosaic idea)....you might want to look at a simple small white subway tile! They actually have "kits" that I have never seen only because I am NOT a do it yourselfer on many things....but it is like "contact paper"! No bottom layer of grout! The square ft white subway tile mesh was like...$2.59 per square ft! The mesh can be cut with scissors making it very easy to incorporate WHATEVER you want! There were also some white already cut tiles with a space in the middle for a contrasting tile of choice to be placed! This is where you can slather on some "adhesive" and place your broken plate pieces! They are made to look like a "diamond pattern but are placed on as a square making it VERY easy! AGAIN... I am not a do it yourselfer but I got a GREAT lesson from the nice folks who work in the tile department at Homedepot! It looks so easy....I am trying to CREATE a project just so I can see if I can do this tile myself! Oh... and I am not a decorator either! That's wishful thinking! lol! Cant wait to see pics! This was the first time I have EVER commented on someones "HELP" post! :-) It has been so fun reading all of the great ideas! So fun...I commented on someone elses "HELP ME" post! :-)
2 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 6:07PM
Frances Shears
that would be in the wee HOURS ...not ours...I missed the H...its like Sweet Brown..."Oh Lord Jesus It's a "FAR"...not a fire...I can speak..I PROMISE!!! LOL!
3 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 6:13PM
Frances Shears
Ok....I have one more thing to say about that damn rug I was talking about! LOL...is a rug a hazzard in a kitchen???? YES....CAN YOU "SECURE IT DOWN?? YES"....Does a natural weave rug ALWAYS bring things together??? YES....My ADVICE?? PRICELESS!!! ok....and i am TOTALLY KIDDING! I just SWEAT by these cheap rugs! I am going to take a picture of one of mine....but dont laugh...I dont know how to post it to this "conversation"......LORD...you would think I DO NOT HAVE 3 CHILDREN... and UPROOTED KITCHEn...and NOTHING ELSE TO DO!!!!! GEEEZ!!! :-)
4 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 6:19PM
Frances Shears
I SWEAR by them....and I am LOVIN' me some BARGAIN BACKER!!! ok....forget Pinterest...or Facebook....I am now addicted to HOUZZ!...not that I was not before! ok...Ill shut up! I swear!
2 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 6:21PM
aebj
Frances, or whoever you are (LOL): I know what you mean. I'm hooked on Houzz too!! Thanks for taking time from your own kitchen redo to post to mine. I'm really afraid of the rug. I am alone most of the day in a remote rural area. I love rugs. I wouldn't hesitate to put one over carpet.

I'm glad to hear about your tile lesson. Maybe after I try a serving tray I will feel more confident and try it on the kitchen. All the decorative tiles I find are Mexican and I'm concerned it will clash with my Blue Willow and Asian style dining room suite. Maybe a tray or a garden table or bench could be your learning project.

I'm still torn on colors. Cobalt vs yellow. The cabinets will be white. The main wall color in the house is light yellow. The bedrooms will be light sea green. Standing in the kitchen, looking to the right will be a short hall past a bathroom and laundry into the den. The den will have blue carpet. Walls light yellow. Looking left is through the light yellow dining room living room to a short hall and into a yellow tile bathroom.

My wish is to use the dark blue, yellow and green together in the kitchen. I'm really excited about the colors. I just can't figure out how to tie it all to the kitchen without losing that Asian accent of my china altogether.

I haven't been able to find decorative tiles except the Mexican. Pretty! But not what I need.

When I try to sleep, I just see colors!!
2 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 6:52PM
Marilyn Wilkie
Ikea has the best price on butcherblock counters, hands down. They have maple, birch and beech. We have birch on our island.
2 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 7:08PM
aebj
Hi Marilyn: Thanks for your suggestion. Unfortunately, there's no IKEA in our area. :-(. Your island sounds wonderful. I don't think there's really room for an island. I know it looks like there is, but it would have to sit in the walkway between the den and dining room.
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 7:36PM
Marilyn Wilkie
Oh, Someone had suggested butcherblock in previos comment. Yes, islands require space. Not sure if ikea ships their countertops. Where are you?
0 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 7:47PM
Marilyn Wilkie
Ikea will ship butcherblock counters. 73" x 39" - $125 oak, $169 birch, $195 beech..plus shipping. ikea.com
2 Likes   February 1, 2013 at 7:59PM
gunnsharon
Hi , I am following this blog as I am in the process of re fixing up a similar kitchen in a 70's semi detached we have had for 25 years as arental investment . In the past I painted the kitchen counter a pale mustard colour to look like wood from a distance. If you are on a tight budget this will be good. Follow directions such as sand, use primer, sponge roller and seal coats it will be a durable finish. Home Depot and Home Hardware have bulk knobs in brushed nickle. Paint out your hinges for now . Sand and paint cabinets and doors for now. Later after yur bath is done and you have more funds you could have a shaker door made up , use an invisable hinge for a face frame cabinet and a new formica countertop with no backsplash. For now spend the least amount of funds and have new appliance if need be. I have painted older fridges that had a textured finish and once had an auto chap spray paint my yellow fridge white. The vinyl plank foor is a good idea. You might consider in the future keeping your eye open for a hardwood floor for your living room and running into the kitchen . I just found a hardwood that was on sale at 2.99 in home hardware half what I would have paid in a specialty floor shop. If your hubby or a relative can install for free that is a big savings and a great investment.
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 3:38AM
aebj
Hi gunnsharon! Welcome and thanks for chiming in! We plan to replace the cabinet hardware with updated invisible hinges and new pulls, probably nickel. For now the painting is on hold until the plumbing through the concrete slab is done for the shower. No point in painting only to have dust settling into wet paint.

I hadn't thought about having new cabinet doors made later! Good idea!

We will be replacing the countertop with a laminate. It may not be the latest and greatest, but its hardy and will look fresh. I think the vinyl plank flooring will hold up well for the abuse pets can dish out. We have plenty of trees we could fell and plank, but it'd be a lot of work and take a lot of time.

New white appliances will be delivered as soon as work can get going again on the kitchen. We are going to install a brushed steel sink and a high neck, one-touch faucet.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 4:31AM
nononanna
I'm coming late to this discussion, but I say don't get rid of the pantry! A black and white floor would be fabulous and give you all kinds of choices in the rest of the room. The cabinets are fine - maybe they need to be clieaned up or repainted, but the white is good. New hardward will make a huge difference

IThe floor plan is good, and since it's not huge small changes will have a big impact.

Off hand I see the biggest problem as the hood - if there wasn't that dark place in the room you'd see it differently. ai think a backsplash that is much different that the wall color is going to look weird - I'd think that a relatively similar color onall the walls would break it up less and seem larger.
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 4:38AM
Genevieve
I think that this house is old then 1970 more likely 1950s by the look of the kitchen cabinets. I like to keep a ceiling fan in the kitchen it helps when cooking and keep the air circulating ,I like the ideas that a few had ,glass tiles are in and they really have a variety of colours to choose ,I would git rid of the bulk head and have the cabinets reach the ceiling, you can certainly use that wasted space for things like Christmas dishes etc.. The style of the cabinets should reflect on the style of the house ,anything else would e out of place . It looks like you don't have much of a working area by the stove ,this all depends on how much and what do do you cook of course , in my opinion before gutting a kitchen we should all make a list in our mind of the things that we really need and would use in a kitchen , I had a cutting board in one of my kitchens and found it very helpful when making lunches etc...Is your a eat in kitchen? if not then consider a small island that you can move to the side when not needed . Kitchens are a personal domain therefore to give an opinion is rather difficult ,what works for me may not work for you :) this is why before me going ahead and begin posting things on here I would like to know how much time do you spend in your kitchen . Some have kitchen that they never use ,they are only there to be a show cases.
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 4:59AM
PRO
Anna Cottee Designs
Try laying a new vinyl floor, changing the cabinet hardware and painting over the tiled splash back with tile paint. If the doors are paintable, give them a fresh coat of paint. Cost should be no more than $500 all up.
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 5:06AM
aebj
Genevieve: The house was built in 1972. The building permit issued for it is on file at the courthouse.
2 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 8:00AM
aebj
Our carpenter said the soffits have electrical, ductwork and insulation in them. Some have suggested removing them, but that isn't an option. The cabinets may not be the current fashion, but they were built on site of solid oak. They have aged and are solid. Any warping, settling, or problems would have manifested long ago, and it hasn't. Expense of ripping them out and replacing them is just too high at this time. But, yeah, that range hood has got to go!
5 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 8:05AM
aebj
Anna Cottee Designs: Thank you for the suggestions. They are quick, easy and inexpensive solutions. We are committed to the flooring. The cabinets will be painted white. The painter is waiting for the bathroom mess to be completed.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 8:11AM
Genevieve
eabj it looked older to me. if you cannot replace them just paint them for now and keep it French Country by using these colours
http://www.labellefrance.com.au/serviettes-provence-maussane-olives-blue/ http://media-cache-ec7.pinterest.com/550/39/b9/8c/39b98c993767519d837f7d8091746dd6.jpg
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 10:34AM
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Invest in new cabinets over appliances and floor. Better investment and more evaluated in home's value assessment. See my blog for more reports from experts and watch My house is worth what? to understand how your home is evaluated. It is important to know what the experts are looking for when they go to value your home.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 11:23AM
Genevieve
I believe that a house is worth what we expect it to be for us and not anyone else. Unless we purchase with the intention of a re sale I really think that considering the resale value shouldn't be important ,this would only apply to a Real Estate Agent point of view rather then a new home owner who has in mind to live in a home for many years . We have to spend and up date according to our budget and needs .
6 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 11:33AM
aebj
The next move I make will be into a pine box. All I'm trying to do is get the house comfortable and functional. I am never ever never doing this again.

Anybody wanna see how the bathroom is coming along? :-)
7 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 11:43AM
Genevieve
I do :)
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 11:45AM
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
MMM. I am sorry. I don't get it. The house is worth what you expect to pay for it for you. That's a good....I just hate to see people throw money down the toilet. In remodeling your kitchen...just like the FDA tells you to eat certain foods, the irs say pay certain taxes and your Dr prescribes medicine for a certain illness. I hate to see people not understand that there are rules to adding value to your home and if you going to spend $5 on the remodel you might as well make it worth your $5 to turn it into $10 or why bother with it. After all when the Dr said take 2 who takes 4?
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 12:24PM
aebj
Just for fun...

The shower is progressing. That's where a good chunk of money is going. The same flooring will be in the hall and bath. We are converting a half bath to add a shower.

The space for the shower is coming from the den. We are anxiously waiting that so we can go back to the kitchen renovation. At least I have time to continue the cobalt vs yellow war in my head. haha

Half the wall has come down where the entrance to the shower will be. There isn't a lot of room. We can only get a 42"" by 36" shower in through the doors.

In the meantime, there is electrical work going on through the house. The 40 yr old wallpaper has been stripped off the walls throughout. Panelling in the den has been removed.

Whew!!

So... Posted are before and building so far of shower. Also before of den. Dig the cool floor!! Lmao Whole house is empty of furniture.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 12:25PM
aebj
TGM : this is the last house I expect to buy. While I am limited by my bank account, a house is not worth just dollars and cents. We all have our own expectations and needs. No doubt yours and mine are very different. Sentiment, comfort and personal appeal aside, we are still coming in well under what this house was appraised for, per-renovation. Does that make you feel better? :-)
4 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 12:39PM
Genevieve
I didn't say the house is worth what you pay for it ,I said the house is worth what we expected to be .
On the other hand its always easier spending other people's money , yes I agree designers need to make a living and so are the others involved in remodelling houses , but according to this post the person in question is on a tight budget so instead of telling her/him to spend a lot of money because the resale value will be greater why don't we help with do it yourself ideas instead , unless I misunderstood this question from the very beginning then I apologize .
8 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 1:15PM
Marilyn Wilkie
Exactly. Nothing worse than someone pushing you in Their direction without considering you wants and needs.
4 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 1:38PM
aebj
No.no...no... I was trying to say I agree with you. The worth of any house is subjective and not always equal to the dollar value. It may be more. It may be less. It may be irrelevant. The latter applies to my situation with this house. We plan to spend the rest of our lives here. We are ordinary people and on a budget.

Your comments, as well as other people's are welcome and appreciated. I don't always communicate effectively what I am trying to say. I didn't mean to give offense and apologize most sincerely.
2 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 1:41PM
Marilyn Wilkie
My comment referenced TGM's insistence.
4 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 1:49PM
onthefence
aebj - I feel exactly the same way about a home's worth. The way you've phrased it is perfect. I may well have to re-use that statement myself!
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 2:36PM
Genevieve
Sometimes ideas and thoughts can even ruffle a few feathers :))
All is well lets proceed :)
2 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 2:41PM
aniluap2
Aebj most of us are with you and are sincerely trying to offer suggestions that may or may not be helpful. Unfortunately,there are a few,who are opportunistic and are trying to push their self-serving agenda.
2 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 2:46PM
onthefence
aebj, one other though re: changing the looks of the cabinets. Have you considered replacing your current doors with a different style of door. The material could be a paint grade wood which would keep the cost down significantly.

There are a variety of places on the web that sell replacement doors. I have a link to one where we bought our laundry room doors (they're here in CA). Unfortunately, the doors aren't painted or hung yet but they do seem well made and look the way I wanted. New paint grade wood doors for our laundry room ended up being about $750 I think. All new cabinets would have easily been $5-8K.
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 2:59PM
PRO
Mary Dancey Interiors
Oebj, you are a patient woman and I like your sense of humour. Are you framing in that brick wall by the bathroom? Do you have to?

About your kitchen - so the cabinets are solid oak that have been painted white? This is great news!! If your budget allows think about purchasing some trim to add to the doors, you could very easily give those doors a Shaker profile and then paint them which ever colour suits you. There is nothing wrong with laminate countertops and the colour and pattern options are endless these days. For an updated look order your laminate countertops WITHOUT the return at the back. The backsplash will look so much nicer.

I would lose the top of the pantry to gain counter space as your designer suggested. You could extend your countertop into the next room and add a couple of stools.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 3:27PM
onthefence
OH...I missed that the cabs are solid Oak. In that case, Mary Dancey's suggestion is a good one as well. A bit more labor intensive though.

Regardless of whether you put on new doors in a style that appeals to you or if you add trim to existing doors, I don't see a reason to replace any of the cabinet boxes. As you've said they're solid and that's really what counts IMO.

I wanted to add too that I rather like your layout. I know I don't cook in your kitchen - but it looks very functional to me. One other thought once you've got the surface stuff taken care of is to look at after-market pullouts to make some of the lower cabinets or deeper ones (like your pantry) more easily accessible. Those used to be a specialty item but I'm seeing them at Bed Bath & Beyond, Container Store, etc.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 3:35PM
aebj
Onthefence: I saw a webpage somewhere about changing the look of kitchen cabinets by adding quick, easy molding. Their trick was to buy inexpensive picture frames. Glue / tack to the front of the cabinet doors. Then paint the doors. Might be a way to change the look but I'm starting to worry that I am over designing the small kitchen and will make it too busy.

EVERYBODY, A QUESTION: paint inside the cabinets or leave oak?
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 3:36PM
onthefence
I think the picture frame thing sounds pretty brilliant. Or, if you just put trim pieces around the outer edges of the door you've got a shaker style. Personally, I don't think shaker is busy at all!

Re: the interior - I wouldn't paint. IMO it chips and looks cruddy after a while.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 3:38PM
PRO
Mary Dancey Interiors
What kind of shape are they in oebj?
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 3:40PM
onthefence
Take a look at the attached webpage (this was where we got our doors).

What they're calling inset panel is what I think of as shaker. What they're calling 'applied moulding' is what I think you'd get with the picture frame process. I think the applied moulding door looks a little more traditional. The shaker looks a little more transitional. IMO only!

Edited to add - in either case I prefer the drawers left plain w/ no trim. Personally I think the trim on the drawers is what makes it really busy.
http://www.acmecabinetdoors.com/
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 3:42PM
aebj
Genevieve: thanks for the link! Is it your blog? I've bookmarked it and will enjoy reading it. Aren't cordless drills marvelous?! Years ago, after nagging my ex to hang floor length double drapes over a double window, I hung them myself while he was off with his buddies doing some testosterone bonding. He stopped dead in his tracks when he saw them and wanted to know who hung them. Of course, me. How? With a screwdriver. Why didn't you use the drill? Was I supposed to? You're a stronger man than I am! LOL How was I supposed to know? I never hung drapes before. Haha
3 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 4:24PM
aebj
Mary Dancey: Yes, the brick back of the fireplace will be framed in behind walls. That made me want to cry. But, we really needed the second bath as there were only the one full bath and the half that's getting a shower. The rest of that wall will be a new closet. Who wouldn't be happy about getting an extra closet? Mixed blessing.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 4:41PM
Genevieve
aebj no its not my blog just something that I found and wanted to share .There are Jack's of all trades and there Jill's of all trades, and then there is us the "improvisers" :))

I did the same as you , hung my own tracks . Keep it up :) I know that sometimes its very tiring to do something that we never done before but the results are rewarding . As they say now days, Kudos to you :)
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 4:43PM
aebj
Onthefence: great link! Thanks! Their doors are so pretty. That's definitely something to keep in mind. As you said, we can always go back and change the doors. I like their glass doors too.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 4:56PM
aebj
Genevieve: I do stuff like that, not knowing what I'm doing. :-) I had to change my own tire one night after work. So, my 6'4" hubby had everybody in the car and said let's go by the gas station (back when there were such things) and check the tire. Huh? So he goes in, talks to the guy who comes out and starts to work on the lug nuts (that's what those big screw like things are called, right?). The guy stands up sweating after a couple minutes. No lug nut. He says "who did you say put that on?" Hubby points at me. "Huh" then they both walked back into the gas station. When hubby came back to store I asked what was wrong. "Nothing. I think you mighthave stripped it. I'll have to bring the car back later so he can use the compressor (?) to take it off. Neither one of us can do it". The moral of this story... Never underestimate the power of a 110 lb woman, especially one who doesn't know what she's doing. Gawd I wish I still weighed that. Oh to be young, skinny and strong again. LOL
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 5:17PM
sacapuntaslapioz
aebj, Nice to see your bathroom is going well. I agree that is a very smart move. if this is the house you think you will live for a long time,make it so that you like it, and keep some f your money. I go back to my original suggestion: paint the cabinets white, in a similar white as your appliances. get a black countertop. go for white and black vinyl tiles and add some tiles like eagledzines suggested in cobalt blue. paint the paneling white for a timeless look. clean and quirky but extremely elegant while still being cozy. the tile is by american olean and home depot carries it. as your appliances die, then get them all in white. it is a nice layout, and good cabinets. some nice fixtures and add your yellow in the details, such as towels, etc.
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 5:48PM
Genevieve
aebj this was the most entertainment that I had all day , never underestimate the power of a woman who eats her spinach:)) I can only imagine their faces . Good story to tell the grand kids:)
And once your kitchen is all done you will be so proud of everything that you did and continue to do.
2 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 5:57PM
aebj
sacapuntaslapioz: Thank you for your comments. I think that black and white would look very nice. We almost bought a house with a black, white and yellow kitchen. I kept a picture because I liked the way the tile was done. The accents would stand out sharply. I'm not sure that the black countertops, are right for me, tho. I will definitely check out the tile. I like it !
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 6:26PM
sacapuntaslapioz
do white counters. also sharp and very luminous.
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 6:31PM
aebj
Oh Genevieve, no grand kids. My water-loving cat (she's going to think the new shower is hers) and the most stupid dog in the whole world keep me busy now. I probably won't remember the stories by the time they arrive and are old enough to hear them!
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 6:32PM
aebj
sacapuntaslapioz: white cabinets, countertops, appliances and ceiling. Do you think that will be too much white? What about soffits? Yellow?
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 6:36PM
aebj
NEXT QUESTION: Can lights, yes or no? I'm not sure what they would add to the cost because the wiring would have to be done. The ceiling fan is out. A single light fixture is in the plans. Under counter lights are being installed. Would it give enough light to be worthwhile? Assoon as the electrician gets back to me, I will post the price.
0 Likes   February 2, 2013 at 6:41PM
Marilyn Wilkie
I would say "yes on the can lights. They bring general lighting to the interior of the kitchen, though they must be installed along with your undercounter lighting because they don't light the counter you are standing at. My husband installed ours and it was not a terribly hard job. The wiring runs above the ceiling. We have undercounter lighting, 4 halogen lights on our free hanging stove hood over the island, 6 can lights for general lighting, and pendants over the sink and the eating end of the island.
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 6:59PM
lparides
Paint them a fresh new color new nobs and paint the walls. Paint makes a big differents. And easy to change.
1 Like   February 2, 2013 at 7:20PM
fuzinav
Possibly a too late comment, but if the dishwasher still works...many dishwashers of that era have a removable (and reversible) front panel. Check for that possibility, you could use your savings on something else.
2 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 8:10AM
shirdez
We had a very old kitchen too when we moved in...and of course, a tiny budget...,you can paint the cabinets if they are in pretty good shape...there are also several places where you can get cheap but great wood cabinets...recess lighting wakes up the kitchen as well.....changing the hardware and even a modern Formica or wood counter tops will modernized the room and are not too pricey.....ways to bring in your cobalt blue? Backsplash with a hint of cobalt blue and accessories.......oh, and don't forget to personalize the space to make it all yours.....cheers!
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 10:43AM
aebj
Marilyn Wilkie: Sounds like you have plenty of light! I haven't heard back from the electrician on price but if I can, I think I will go with them. If it isn't doable now, maybe it's something we can add later. Thanks!
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 12:52PM
aebj
Fuzinav: I don't know if it works or not. It's so old and probably noisy in addition to being ugly. Thanks for the tip, tho. I guess if it works I should try that until the budget loosens up.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 12:56PM
aebj
Lparides: so true! Paint is fairly easy to change if I hate the color. I'd just like to get as much done as possible before we actually move in. The cabinets will be white. The primary color walls thru most of the house will be yellow. I'm trying to decide how to get touches of cobalt without overpowering the room. It's turning into the Blue and Yellow Wars in my head. LOL
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 1:21PM
aebj
Shirdez: yes, I'm starting to think cobalt accents in the backsplash may be the best way to go. I love the cobalt, but its a small kitchen and the cobalt might really make it feel cave like if I'm not careful.
Thanks for the suggestions.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 1:29PM
kitchener64
New to this forum, but so enjoying this continuing dialogue re your kitchen. Our kitchen same age, solid wood cabinets, we painted white, added dark counter, gray walls and accessories change with my whim or the seasons, cheaply. But always have a touch of black and/or cobalt blue somewhere, stained glass, vases, placemats, rugs, artwork etc. Doesn't take much when the basics are there... have fun!
2 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 1:50PM
aebj
Kitchener64: Welcome! Thanks for your comments. Sounds lovely! So you kept the original cabinets too? What did you do with the inside of the cabinets?
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 1:57PM
bpan
I would go with shades of gray (!!) /leaving white around window.
The big difference would come from changing the counter splash,
Rustica has my vote for colors.
enjoy the finished picture , add lots of oranges & lemons in a bowl,
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 2:02PM
debart1
Do you have a GoodWill near you? They often sell good quality new cabinets for an entire kitchen. Some of them are really nice cabinets. I would keep it light now matter what since the kitchen is small. If you use wood flooring, I would choose a light stain. If you can't redo the cabinets, paint white for now and paint the soffit the same white to make the kitchen look taller. You can put crown molding all the way to the ceiling then. Don't invest in new countertops if you plan on updating the cabinets in a few years. It's nearly impossible to keep your countertops and you've wasted all that money. You can paint them. Go online and look it up. I''ve never tried that though they say it can be done. You can paint a backsplash like tile using a very thin tape for the grout lines. Then put on a coat of varnish. You can just wipe it clean then. All that being said, it's best to save some money and do it right the first time. You'll be spending less money in the long run. Sorry this is so wordy.
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 2:34PM
kitchener64
We did not paint the insides.... lazy maybe but who really sees them. Also we figure that the next owners will tear out our kitchen and go open concept as our home is a sidesplit. Not for me as I love my separate dining room!
2 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 2:39PM
aebj
Bpan: I'm not sure about gray since light yellow is wall color throughout the house. That might be mixing warm and cool colors. I did that once accidentally with carpet and it was awful. :-(
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 2:40PM
kitchener64
Also wanted to add, 25 years ago added mirrors to the side of the cabinets, top to bottom, beside the window, like yours Had them done at a glass place installed with glue and just added trim. Still in perfect condition. Love that I can see sideways out the window.
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 2:46PM
aebj
Debart1: good point about the countertop, and good suggestion about Goodwill. Very cost effective. I'm think we have decided on leaving the cabinets indefinitely.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 2:49PM
aebj
Kitchener64: After much thought, we also decided to not go open concept in the kitchen. I have a large, burl Asian influence dining room suite and it would just look silly next to our small kitchen as an open concept. I am NOT getting rid of my dining room suite. If that means a closed kitchen, so be it. In any event, the inside of the cabinets are worse than I thought. I was thinking painting there as well.

Novel idea about the mirrors! It would add to the light coming inthewinow too! Very creative. I like it.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 2:56PM
aebj
Wow, this girl needs a break! Sleep... pizza.... Sleep... Shower.... Pizza... Sleep... Maybe not in that order. Definitely more sleep!
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 3:01PM
lparides
If the cabinets have go bones,just paint a add new nobs , paint them blue, if the color you want to splash in, and some small ideams don't over do it. It will look great for very little money keep me update.
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 3:09PM
lparides
Do some the cabinets in blue that's fun remember its just piant
1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 3:12PM
aebj
How about doing the outside of the cabinets white and the inside cobalt?
2 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 3:21PM
furrytoes
Hi aebj! I just found this conversation and enjoyed reading the comments. It's nice to find someone else who loves yellow like I do! I worried for years what other people would think of my house -- then I decided to (mostly) forget about them and started painting my walls a "sunshine" yellow. For the first time, I really enjoy living in my own home. Lots of yellow, and NO gray!!! I also like my warm oak cabinets. I'm out of fashion, unique and proud of it. I hope you love your "forever" house!
2 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 3:44PM
furrytoes
How about eliminating the wood trim over the sink and adding a couple of can lights in the soffit?

1 Like   February 3, 2013 at 4:06PM
Susan Janvrin
If you paint the walls anything other than white, the cabinets that you don't like will really stand out! I agree with changing the hardware and the hood- stainless. I also like the idea of changing out the upper cabinet doors to glass front; Ikea has them. All white kitchens are really sleek and sophisticated. I am a color loving person, but I think this particular kitchen is best suited in all white with stainless accents. If you do plan to change the floor, VCT is so practical, fun, and inexpensive. If you HAVE to have color, I would do it there- simple modern stripes in 2 shades of yellow. Bring the 2nd color up to the soffit as an accent, for example, hang delftware for the cobalt (pictured below). Or let some cobalt and turquoise Fiestaware peek through your glass front upper cabinets: http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=598226 Personally, I like turquoise as an accent to a yellow floor: http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=turquoise%20fiestaware&index=blended&link_code=qs&sourceid=Mozilla-search&tag=mozilla-20)
Here is a little kitchen in our in-law suite with the color VCT tiles I installed myself in a vintage pattern. I'm also attaching a pic of a striped floor, but maybe this is where you do the color. Black and white is very modern and classic too! It's your home, do what makes you happy. next buyers will change it to their liking anyway. Thanks for letting me give my 2 cents. Good luck!
3 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 4:19PM
aebj
Furrytoes: Welcome! Glad you found us and commented! Yep! Love yellow! I've noticed people are started using it more on walls, seeing it as a neutral color. I always thought yellow is such a happy color. Who can't use more happy. In their lives?!
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 4:25PM
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Genevie...I didn't say spend or how much at all..Designers are not car sales people. And it just makes me tad upset that is the automatic assumption we get for doing what we're trained to do in advising. As a rule of thumb in my life...I listen to everyone that makes a suggestion. Now, I may not do precisely what was said but if I step back and look at it...something in it was meant to be heard. I believe people are God's voice- most of the time and if I filter that thru their human nature or sin nature....that God had to work thru then there may be something valuable in it to be heard. But maybe not "precisely how they said it." the trick is HOW was it meant. not what came out thru them But I believe they were moved by something to speak and for that God had a point.

Your home is your investment not just your home where you live. The kitchen and bath can increase the value of your home if you follow the rules of how to increase that value. There are rules. I don't make them. I just understand them. Like your DR understands your body. And tells you what is best for it. Just remodeling to just do it cause something needs done and spend money this way is wasting money. There should be a compromise on how to do both...invest in the right way on how its supposed to be done and make it a home.

Jews have been known to be blessed and criticized throughout time for it. Here is the financial training they give their kids. Make $10. $5 goes to bills. $2 to God. $2 to investments and $1 in savings. Your kitchen done properly is an investment. You can spend here $2 fore every ten wisely.

The good things is people who do this and a community that does this - increase their home's value.... Increases home's value. Increasing homes value in a local community and the economy rises. Now we all can look at that and see if there is something we can do more or not - if we care.

But if I went to a DR. (designers on Houzz should be considered Dr's in a sense for your home-not car sales people trying to make money) and my Dr said to get off salt or lose weight. I suppose I'd try to not eat salty things and stay away from chocolate and add an extra day of exercise to my routine. It's my decision after all. But that would be the wisest decision I could make. I wasn't trying to do anything but understand where you were at. But I'd like to be understand that I wasn't saying spend and I'd like to not be considered insistent anymore than a dr telling you to lose weight and you need to. I was trying to hear what was said and anyone thinking otherwise...well was wrong.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 10:23PM
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
On the cabinets. In order of importance....Sand the doors down to absolute raw wood and paint. Or buy new doors that are unfinished. (We have some corps that I can refer or find out if there is a local dealer.) get new doors that are unfinished and sand down the cabinet to raw wood and prime and then paint or just stain. Then get new hinges. Paint the room. Then if the money pot allows, get a new flooring. There are some exceptional economical solutions to the floor. What's under what is there? How about painting it. Then a countertop. There are some economical solutions you can do yourself. Cement is one. Or Granite Remants are $25-$30 and if you tell someone that the seam isn't important, you probably can get remnant granite stone. There's not a lot of countertop there so it should be a good price. Then your appliances. You probably could get appliances from someone off craigslist and a new set $1500 if you look around. Then lighting or hardware or knobs/pulls. That is the order of importance and what you need.

FOR EVERYONE:
When I was in college my roommate did some SEO work for this company then volunteered for a politician. She'd sit on sites like this and pretend to give helpful advise and be a person out of no where...send you to a link that would get you to maybe buy something or just consider buying it later.

My point. . .I am me. I have my website up for the Granite company I work for. Most, like Dura Supreme is pretty obvious who they are. But others prey on selling knobs, lights, etc. And you just think they were here to help. (not to say anyone in this link did that...but their on people on Houzz sitting here and getting paid an hourly amount to show you a link to something to buy. ANd that is the same for ANY social site. My friend was on a plethora of sites. And she was part of a team of people who who were on a plethora of sites.

It's often, "oh, I think this will help. I saw it here."

Me...here is my site http://tgmcabinetsweebly.com I have been told by others on houzz.com that has a lot of helpful things. If you want take a look.

And next time someone sends a link to help...to another site and they don't say it is their's do consider it could be a house wife helping out or it could be a person paid to do SEO and get you to that site.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 11:08PM
aebj
sacapuntaslapioz: what interesting handles! They would certainly adda punch of color! Very interesting. Thanks!
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 11:11PM
aebj
Susan Janvrin: Love the in-law suite kitchen! Quirky, retro, fun! Blue and white plates are right up my alley! I don't have a wall for something like that. :-( I can't even figure out what I want! LOL

You are quite right. This kitchen must please me. The next owners, if there are ever any, will change it to suit themselves. This house is not an "investment" to us. It is to be our last home. We are not selling this house ever. The next owners preferences are not my problem.
0 Likes   February 3, 2013 at 11:23PM
juniperjo
You don't have a wall for it, but you *do* have a soffit above your cabinets. Why not get old blue and white plates from eBay (one of a kinds, not a set, like on the wall in the picture you admired) and arrange them on the soffit? That would add your cobalt color accents without overwhelming the space. It would look cute, especially if you could find small and large plates; stagger then large, small, large, small.

I am with you -- the next owners are not your problem. If you're on a budget, replace only the things that drive you crazy first (like that fan!), then live with the kitchen for a while and see if you feel differently about it after you've lived with it for a year. I think I would paint the existing cabinets first, then see if you can find someone to re-face the cabinets with new doors in a year or two. Good luck! I'm also trying to renovate an old kitchen (from the 1940s) without re-doing it entirely. I'm repainting the old cabinets; TGMs would probably disagree, but I doubt if the "new owners" will like anything I would do anyway. Better for me to spend less money on it, and let the new owners completely gut the kitchen if they want to!
1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 3:20AM
sacapuntaslapioz
TGMs, for your reference I DO NOT work for anybody or are affiliated with anybody, and when I recomend something is because I have spent my time looking for it, for the fun of it
3 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 3:55AM
aebj
juniperjo: yes, I do have soffits. Won't it look 1970s if I do that?
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 4:45AM
Genevieve
In my opinion a bulk head is a waste of space , instead of it put up some cupboards where you can store things that are used once a year for example Christmas dishes . I have one and find it outdated and useless . Here are some more ideas
http://styledstagedsold.blogs.realtor.org/2013/01/07/8-kitchen-trends-to-watch-in-2013/
1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 5:17AM
nononanna
Wow, this discussion is getting heavy on the philosophy. Who knew that kitchen design could be so existential?
5 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 5:24AM
aniluap2
I agree with juniperjo that an interesting variety of plates hung on the soffit can look very interesting like art , especially if each one is different. They would look good next to a yellow wall. You could have a white subway tile backslash( you can buy them very in expensively at Lowes or home depot) and put a cobalt edging strip one tile down fom the top to create some visual interest and a pop of color.
Just replacing the top doors with glass would give the perception that the kitchen was more open and you could just do the two doors over the sink. You could use those two cabinets to store glasses and blue and white dishes which would then also help tie in your color scheme.if you use can lights make sure and use the 4" diameter halogen cans since the larger cans look dated. What I described above would give you more of a country look but you could go a little more transitional with what susan jarvin
Suggested. I loved her inlaw kitchen very fresh and inviting. I personally like yellow walls in a kitchen since they are sunny but I like a pale yellow something like BM HC5 Weston flax. You would have to test the colors on your kitchen walls since Light dramatically effects the way the colors are perceived
1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 5:50AM
Genevieve
The kitchen is the most important room of the house . It needs all that we can possible think of , not only in the cosmetic point of view but in practicality is well.
1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 5:59AM
aebj
Genevieve: the soffits have insulation, wiring and ductwork in them. I can't open them up to use for storage.
0 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 6:08AM
aebj
If you will look at the refrigerator wall, you will see the microwave on the counter next to some glass jars. There is a built in cutting board underneath in that cabinet. See it? Is that cute or what?
1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 6:11AM
Genevieve
Oh no! over here they are just hollow and when it comes the time to replace this kitchen cupboards I will have them take them off so that I can use that space as mentioned to you before, this kitchen doesn't really serve me the way that I need it to, I have a very little working area in between the stove and the sink ,not enough . At least you have the counter where the microwave is in yours :)
http://www.ehow.com/how_8073053_remove-kitchen-soffit.html
1 Like   February 4, 2013 at 6:56AM
PRO
Mottles Murals Ceramic Tiles
Hello, I'm not sure how far along the renovations are coming, but I just wanted to jump in. If this were my kitchen and I wanted to keep the remodeling to the time period. I would remove the wall paper, paint the cupboards white with a top quality paint, tile the back splash with white tiles, replace the counter top and sink (if there is enough money), and replace the floor. If you get in to lighting etc you may have to update your wiring etc which can be costly. Blue cobalt tile is nice but dark and then you really can't add too many cobalt fun items because the room is already cobalt expanded. I loved remodeling my 1973 dated kitchen and saved a lot of money by keeping the cupboards. I am not a designer or a contractor but I just wanted to show you the picture I have attached that was emailed to me from a customer that I made her tiles. The delft patterns are from Germany and I kiln fire them on the ceramic tiles. Something like this may save you lighting costs but still have a touch of blue. Good luck.
2 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 7:31AM
Elise
Love your idea of playing up the old-fashioned by going quirky. Put your money into appliances for the modern conveniences and redo all surfaces with paint initially. If you have real hardwood flooring in the rest of the house, think twice about the vinyl plank flooring, you could go quirky-modern and "green" with linoleum or cork flooring and have a great floor that stands out, is comfortable and easy to maintain.

Soft yellows on the wall, blue cobalt accents around the kitchen with dishes, etc... White subway tiles with a few colored accent tiles on the backsplash. Consider updating your hardware with blue glass knobs on your cabinets as a way to bring the cobalt color affordably to your kitchen. Lots of great ideas above.
2 Likes   February 4, 2013 at 11:04AM
sacapuntaslapioz
have you thought of painting the paneling behind as a backsplash. it is a very interesting look. save you you money too. i just finished rejuvenating an old 1950s ranch that had the 70s and 80s happened to it. Formica everywhere, then on top, corian everywhere. found great brick fireplace. the kitchen was from the 60s. it had been refaced a couple of times, including a red with yellow stripe (in the seller's pictures) but which was white painted pine doors with raised panels by the time we bought it. I took down the soffits (nothing there), replaced the burned corian counter and backsplash, put quartzite and stone/glass mosaic in earth colors, and replaced the island (in bad shape) with cherry cabinets in a distressed finish. I found original oak floors under layers of slippery, busy, wall tile and vinyl. if the original surfaces are in good shape they add a lot more character than cookie cutter kitchen all looking the same that builders churn out and which will look dated too. it will take a lot longer for outdated to look classic. Your kitchen has a great layout, solid oak cabinets (a fortune nowdays) all you need is a great counter (you can get remanents for a reasonable price or even go to a stone yard and ask for their cheapest granite). along the way replace your appliances as needed, add good lighting under the cabinets now, get great pulls, classic white and black tiles (vinyl or porcelain) and you have a timeless beautiful kitchen with better cabinets than cheap composite stuff.

by the way, painting that paneling in the living room will look stunning.

pics, please:-)
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 4:31AM
aebj
Mottles Murals Ceramic Tiles: Wow, you have some beautiful tiles! I'm forwarding your website link to some friends. You even have Blue Willow tiles! They might be too large but I'm sending the link to those to my decorator. Thanks for the suggestions.
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 6:38AM
aebj
Susan Jarvin: I love those plates! Do you know where I can buy a set?
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 6:41AM
aebj
sacapuntaslapioz: alas, the panelling is not a very good grade and is trying to come done. I don't know what we will do about it in the kitchen. The panelling in the den has already been torn down. I had hoped to paint it, but it am never meant to was. :-(.
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 6:44AM
PRO
Granite Transformations
Hi abej,

I really think your kitchen is a good candidate for cabinet refacing, rather than replacing- this will help your tight budget. If the doors are wood you could actually sand them yourself with a small hand-sander. I like the idea of painting them a yellow, like the cabinets Olldbobbi posted.

You should take the wallpaper down and paint the kitchen an off white and consider updating some of your appliances- depending on what your budget can afford. I'd recommend stainless steel.

Then I'd install a glass backsplash, we have a very lovely tile series called Liberty that you might really like. You can see our blue Liberty tile here- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/mosaic-tiles/colors/liberty/#!prettyPhoto[col_gall]/8/

You could focus on some accessories- towels, nic-nacs, etc. to bring some more color into your kitchen. I'd also consider installing granite counters. Our countertops can actually be installed right over your existing formica, so no demo and real granite counters! You can see more here- http://www.granitetransformations.com/southjersey/products/granite-countertops/colors/

Last, I'd install a new ceiling light, under cabinet lighting and that wood plank floor you like. You can see a few examples from the images I've attached.

Good luck with your kitchen remodel, post some pictures when you've completed it!
1 Like   February 5, 2013 at 7:00AM
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Hi abej, I've 3 lines on refacing that we acquired to offer our clients. There 2 manufacturers of cabinets got into the business to prove to those who call the refacing side in that you are NOT saving money. The Labor turns out to be an even trade and if you look around you can get a strong all wood USA manufactured cabinet for less than the refacing. My parents refaced in the midwest. I'm on the East coast. I tried to send them to people but my step dad is stubborn. He he ok. He could have done better. He didn't want his daughter (step) giving directions anymore than my mother giving directions in the car. lol.

I was thinking about the Murals. DId you see the Kitchen Palette. It's a DIY and they can be interchangeable.

More on my website to see http://tgmcabinets.weebly.com
0 Likes   February 5, 2013 at 7:09AM
juniperjo
@aebj, I don't think plates on the soffit would look too 1970s. I think plates on the soffit is fairly timeless, although it definitely isn't a "modern" look, but I don't think that's what you're going for here anyway. I think if each plate was different but they were all blue and white ("willow-ish") it would look great. I also like the willow / delft tile for the backsplash; that would definitely pull in your cobalt blue. I get a lot of plates etc. on eBay; if you are patient and look on a regular basis, I bet you can create your own "set" of mismatched blue and white plates fairly inexpensively. Good luck -- I think it will look great when you're done with it.
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 12:49AM
debart1
The backsplash will limit what you put on the counter. An all white will give you the option to add blue canisters or whatever. You can still add plates on soffit or knobs or accessories in blue. Tile is too hard to replace if you make a mistake and make it too busy.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 4:00AM
nononanna
Echo the above - blue willow on the soffit is definitely timeless and traditional. Neiman Marcus had a set of blue willow-ish dishes for a really low price in their catalogue - 5 piece place setting for 8 for under $100 that was really pretty, if you were looking for dishes in general...
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 4:41AM
nononanna
Oh, and with the plates - I think it's "the more, the merrier". Just a few looks kind of lame, but a big group looks good.
1 Like   February 6, 2013 at 4:43AM
aniluap2
Saw some beautiful sea blue translucent subway glass tiles at home depot yesterday, not cobalt blue, but old definitely blend with he blue willow plates and give the kitchen an updated transitional look.
0 Likes   February 6, 2013 at 7:31AM
kitchener64
Been away from the site for 2 weeks..... What did you decide to do?
0 Likes   February 21, 2013 at 3:03PM
aebj
Hi all! I've been away myself. Sorry I haven't been able to update. We are going with the mentioned white paint on cabinets, yellow soffits and walls, white trim, dark blue countertop and blue mosiac glass tile backsplash. White appliances. New light. I'm collecting cobalt and white plates to place on the soffits. I will post pix when I can.
6 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 5:26AM
aniluap2
Great choices! Looking forward to seeing it.
2 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 6:44AM
aebj
Anilup2: Thanks! The pix of the mosaic backsplash isn't very true to color. The name of it is MotorCity. It's blue glass, which I think will add some "movement". The countertop is glossy, (new treatment for laminate), which we hope will work well together. Paint should go up next week. Then the backsplash and countertops. So it will still be another couple weeks of renovations.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 9:24AM
sacapuntaslapioz
nice backsplash waiting for new pictures!!!
1 Like   February 22, 2013 at 5:38PM
aebj
Thanks Sacapuntaslapioz! As soon as the work starts on the kitchen, we will have pix up.
0 Likes   February 22, 2013 at 6:45PM
losthorizonlisa
Everything in my house was brown when I bought it... real brown wood breadboard, brown carpet, brown cupboards. I have eclectic furnishings running from French to Asian and started collecting Polish Pottery. I kept the fan for hot Florida summers, added halogen lighting, painted the cupboards, added one set of glass doors, purchased pull out pantry cabinets from Costco, painted and installed a snap together vinyl floor. And then I sold the place within 30 days! in this market. On to my next project... a little 70s house that is going to end up looking like a Craftsman.
1 Like   February 23, 2013 at 5:37AM
aebj
Losthorizonlisa: Brown is my husband's first color choice for everything. LOL. Thankfully, he has me to color his world. haha I'd love to watch the transformation to a Craftsman look. I love that style. I have to say tho, that having a stove up against a wall like in your pix has always made me uncomfortable. Just a personal thing.
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 3:20PM
mtlman
New flooring options out there. This is one I am using. It is 3/8 tile (no future refinishing and very durable)
3 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 3:28PM
julie77777
mtlman -- what flooring is that? ok for kitchen use?
0 Likes   February 23, 2013 at 8:20PM
mtlman
Tile, yes perfect for washing and wear without refinishing.lasts.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 4:40AM
mtlman
He is a better picture at the store. Putting it in now.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 4:41AM
whitechevy
I am in the middle of painting my kitchen cupboards and stripping wallpaper from unsized wall of 27 years. Oh, and the wallpaper had also been painted. Can't wait to see my lightened-up kitchen but hate my ceramic tile floor. I have been searching for reasonable, washable rugs in a 4x6 size which would be perfect but have not been able to find any in stores or online in that size that are washable cotton. Anyone have ideas?i think with a rug pad it would be safe.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 7:34AM
aebj
WhiteChevy: Did you try overstock.com!
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 7:43AM
whitechevy
No, I will try it. Thank you. FYI for any of you that are painting your kitchen cabinets. I am using the "milk paint" and self- leveling satin top coat from Wood You. It is labor intensive but looks great on my 27 year old oak cupboards. They will be antique white with added crown and satin nickel knobs.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 8:02AM
sharpkl
I didn't read very comment. You sure do have a lot of replies. Lol anyways my daughter did mosaic backsplash in her previous home with blue willow dishes. It is as easy as tile and looks great. It might just be the artistic accent you would need.
The cabinets doors could be faced with headboard then framed around edge and look fantastic. If you know anyone with basic woodworking skills they could do it easily. Paint them white or yellow and you have a upscale look.
I think the butcher block counter sounds great but otherwise a neutral white sounds best to me.
You could renew the inside of the cabinets with a wipe on poly and it would camouflage as well as make them cleaner.
Just some of my thoughts. You sound like a fun person. Wish I could help you in person.
Have fun- necessity is the mother of invention.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 8:29AM
Maryl Hershelman
Before replacing a working dishwasher...check in the door panel for interchangeable facings...they used to have sheets with most of the most popular finishes stored in the door. Always consider a fresh coat of paint and upgrade the knobs...I'm sure with all the comments posted these are not new suggestions.
2 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 8:50AM
PRO
Eagledzines
Put a nice crown molding around the ceiling (2 1/2"- 3 1/2"). If you do decide to put up crown molding, don't forget to tell the electrician, so the can lighting doesn't bump into or cover / prohibit you from putting up molding.Paint it and the soffit and the cabinets all the same color. This will make the 10'x10' space seem bigger. Before you consider putting molding around the bottom, measure the space between the countertop and the bottom of the cabinets. It should be 18". Some of these older kitchens didn't leave enough space for the modern conveniences we have today. If it is less than 18" I would suggest not putting molding around the bottom as it will further reduce the needed space.

RE: Painting the inside of the cabinet
Painting the inside is not done on new cabinets unless the space is open to the room. The reason for that is that it chips. However, a lot of these 'built-on-the-wall' cabinets did not have a cabinet bottom on the base cabinets. Instead the flooring was left exposed or linoleum was put down. If yours does not have a cabinet bottom, I would put down or replace the flooring with new white vinyl (glued down). You would have a clean, white base that wouldn't chip. If the insides aren't too bad, I'd leave them natural for the same reason. If they're not painted, I would polyurethane them--not for looks but to make them easier to clean. If they're painted already, I would repaint them white.

RE: Molding
Be careful about putting molding on this type of door. It is probably built as the picture below. Make sure that a piece of molding is going to work with the opening of the door. This can certainly be done, but it depends on the door, hinge, and space between the doors. If the molding is too close to the exposed hinge, you can see it would hit the hinge when the door is open even at a 90 degree angle.

RE: Lighting
Can lights will give you light that generally shines downward, unless you have a parabolic lens on them. That will spread the lighting out. You do generally need two kinds of light in a kitchen. Task lighting and ambient light. Task lighting lights a specific workspace. A good example of this is the light in a range hood that lights up the range top. Ambient light is light that is spread around the room, generally lighting it most everywhere. So can lights can be used to some extent with parabolics to spread the light around the room, but are generally used to light specific areas--such as the counterop/walk area. They may be sufficient in a small kitchen like this but I would suggest you get your electricians opinion on the type of lights needed. Also, do you have a light over the sink to give you some task lighting over the sink at night? If not, I would consider this one of the priorities.
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 9:23AM
kitchener64
Have fun... Can't wait to see the finale! :)
1 Like   February 24, 2013 at 3:10PM
aebj
Here we are with the kitchen painting. The countertop has been removed and appliances are out of the way. The drawers are in the dining room. I really hate this part. It makes me feel so unsettled. Haha
3 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 3:24PM
juniperjo
It will look great when you're done! Keep it up -- your efforts will be rewarded!
2 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 3:33PM
aebj
Thanks, juniperjo! I hope it will come together well.
0 Likes   February 24, 2013 at 3:41PM
aebj
The countertop folks were able to cut the countertop without seams and by painful contortions and magic, our guys got it into the house and installed. It's covered with paper to protect it until the backsplash goes in this weekend. The rest of the house has been painted. Here's a peek! More after the backsplash goes in. I find this whole renovation thing so discombobulating!!
3 Likes   March 1, 2013 at 9:03PM
juniperjo
That countertop is very pretty. Is it Caesarstone, or a granite?
0 Likes   March 2, 2013 at 11:15AM
aebj
Thanks! It's a new laminate with a durable shiny coating. We found it here: http://samples.wilsonart.com/p-616-girona-falls-4894.aspx
1 Like   March 2, 2013 at 11:39AM
onthefence
I noticed your pic last night aebj. It looks almost like soapstone. It's gorgeous! Your finished kitchen is going to be a beautiful space ;-)
1 Like   March 2, 2013 at 11:53AM
aebj
Onthefence: Thank you! I'm so excited! I'm terrified of ruining it at every step, so I'm delighted when a step goes well
1 Like   March 2, 2013 at 12:02PM
aebj
Frances Shears: How is your kitchen redo going? Have you posted pictures somewhere?
0 Likes   March 2, 2013 at 12:35PM
aebj
Sharpkl: I would love to see pix of that backsplash!! I'm so jealous! No doubt it is beautiful!

My husband had me watching the latest episode of Duck Dynasty last night and Miss Kay was serving on Blue Willow! I'm... I'm... I don't know what to say!! I may have to throw away my beloved Blue Willow! How can I do that? How can I part with it? How can I start over? Oh dear! Oh dear! I suppose I shall have to try to erase that from my mind somehow and muddle on. Maybe Jimmy Buffet will loan me some mental floss.....
0 Likes   March 2, 2013 at 12:43PM
librarymemaw
I think your kitchen has lots of potential and doesn't need but some tweaking. Without much $. I like the comments you have received, but thought I'd send you a photo of my renovated kitchen where we tried to mix old (mid-late 1800s home) with 'new.' There are a few things I'd still like to do here...add backsplash behind the sink, (and looking at this photo, maybe some more color!?) But, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I just thought perhaps my photo can help..yellow w/ cobalt accents. (I also have a siting area w/ white wicker chairs & dark blue cushions.) It made the room look so much bigger.
3 Likes   March 2, 2013 at 1:17PM
aebj
Librarymemaw: Love your kitchen! You have some nice wall space for pix or utensils.
Is that a bead-board ceiling? Nice!
0 Likes   March 2, 2013 at 3:31PM
PRO
EnvironmentalLights.com
We just launched a new line of ultra thin LED under cabinet lighting that would really help to upgrade your space as well. All of the lights have built in diffusers too so you won't get a glare on the tiles or countertops. And best of all, it's very user friendly to install so you might not even need an electrician's help if you wanted to install the lighting yourself.

It has interchangeable LED light bars and LED puck lights that you can choose from, in two colors of white (soft or neutral). Soft white is definitely preferred in kitchen lighting - and since they're dimmable too you can create a any atmosphere you want.

Complimentary design advice from our lighting specialists at (888) 880-1880 if you need any help!
http://www.environmentallights.com/led-under-cabinet-lighting/environmentallights-premium-modular-led-under-cabinet-lighting/led-under-cabinet-lights.html
1 Like   March 5, 2013 at 3:48PM
aebj
We have installed under the counter lights. They are going to be very helpful!
1 Like   March 7, 2013 at 9:34PM
aebj
Here is the kitchen backsplash. The countertop is still covered to protect it.
3 Likes   March 7, 2013 at 9:37PM
kitchener64
Wow, really nice!
1 Like   March 8, 2013 at 5:44AM
fuzinav
It's going to make a huge difference . Beautiful!
1 Like   March 8, 2013 at 7:40AM
aebj
White appliances, flooring and cabinet hardware installed. Still waiting on electrician for new stove.
1 Like   March 14, 2013 at 4:09PM
fuzinav
Wow, great progress! Hope you can enjoy your new space very soon.
2 Likes   March 14, 2013 at 4:52PM
aebj
Thank you, Fuzinav!! We are really looking forward to it!
0 Likes   March 14, 2013 at 5:08PM
aebj
Any advice on hanging plates? I see there's a new adhesive type hanger, but im concerned the adhesive will decide to let go like the wall hooks do.
0 Likes   March 14, 2013 at 7:13PM
aniluap2
You can purchase plate hangers at the hardware store ( even the big box stores carry them ) in the section with picture hanging hardware. They are wires that stretch to fit on the back edges of the plate and then can be hung on the wall. They do not damage the plate but make it secure to hang.
1 Like   March 15, 2013 at 7:25AM
aimran
Loving your renovation step by step pics. Good luck. Darn, I was late ;) would've recommended cobalt blue cabinets (paint) for existing ones. Nevertheless, Sneak peaks Look neat :)
1 Like   March 15, 2013 at 11:22AM
aebj
Thanks, Anilup2! I have been looking online and found that there is a new adhesive plate holder that looks great, but I'm concerned that it won't hold up the plates forever. I'd be upset if my plates crashed to the floor and broke one night.
1 Like   March 15, 2013 at 2:24PM
aebj
Another peek. Workmen left junk around the kitchen. We are not quite done.
5 Likes   March 15, 2013 at 2:41PM