Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Travertine honed tile
kinnyginny
January 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I've had travertine honed tile installed in my kitchen (backsplash ) and I'm not liking the pink tone. Does not look good with my counter tops. I think I've ruined my new kitchen. It hasn't been grouted yet. I'm wondering if anything can be done other than tearing it out which my husband does not want to do !!!! Can it be painted or stained or would that look tacky. I was going for a creamy ivory color originally. HELP !!!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kinnyginny
One more photo. Would also like to mention that I am going for a warm Tuscan or French Country feel to my kitchen.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 5:06AM
PRO
Stoneshop
I want to start off by saying that your kitchen looks beautiful! I absolutely love your rich wood floors with the granite. In the last photo that you posted (the one that shows the flooring), the backsplash looks nice and warm. However, in the close-up shots, it definately has a pink hue to it.

Travertine is a lovely material, and there are other colors of travertine that will give you a creamy tone. Since it is natural stone, you should always ask your tile shop for a sample of the lot that YOU will be receiving. Every cut of stone is different, so there is always a slight bit of uncertainty of the exact color that you will be getting -- which is why you should request a sample.

Other than removing the tile, I personally do not know of a way to change the color. Hopefully some DIY-ers out there will have some resourceful ideas.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:06AM
Jayme H.
I am curious if the grout itself will make a difference...anyone know the answer? I can see what u are saying, but don't think it looks awful at all...
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 7:16AM
PRO
Stoneshop
When selecting a grout color, you always want to choose a color closest to the tile so that it blends in cohesively. You are paying a good amount for the tile, and only about $15 on grout. You want your tile to be the star, NOT the grout. Consequently, a grout color is not going to really affect the color of the tile.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:29AM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
Travertine is soft and porous...so it should stain, unless the tile setter has already sealed....common before grouting and again after. Problem is...what color and how much. I think a concrete stain would work. If there are some extra tiles you could do some trials prior to taking the plunge and staining. You may end yup hating the results more than you hate the pink tone! I disagree that the grout should always be the same color or very similar to the tile. Subway tile looks great in white with natural or DeLorean gray grout! Seeing the tile work can be part of the goal....why spend money on a fancy basket weave if you can't see the contrasting tiles? But I do agree that the grout will not affect the color of the tile...not at all.
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 7:40AM
Jayme H.
I also have seen grouts that do not match the tile...Anyone have more options?
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:41AM
PRO
STUDIO MB
I hate to be the person to tell you that you picked the wrong back splash, but I honestly feel it does not work at all with the rest of your kitchen. So maybe a good massage or a romantic dinner will convince your husband to change it..
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:43AM
PRO
Susan Jablon Mosaics
Hi Jayme!
Unfortunately, I'm going to have to agree with the above commenters about grout. Whether you choose a color that blends in or contrasts with the travertine tile, it will still look pink next to your counters. I think trying the stain Ironwood Builders mentioned would be worth a try, not on the wall at first like they said. Other than that, you may want to reconsider changing the backsplash all together. I do really love your counters and floors, though!
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 7:47AM
Jayme H.
Not my field..so good to hear other's thoughts! Hoping they can get it figured out! I don't think it looks that bad..seems like it's picking up some color from the floor. And in first pic, also seems like there's pinkish coming off the counter too.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 7:50AM
PRO
Sinjin Studios Premier Remodeling LLC
Your right. Big color difference. As soon as the backsplash is butted up against the white counters (with yellow undertones) it brings out the flesh color (or pink) in the travertine.

No big. Travertine is very porous and a white wash of some sort will change the color without loosing all the detail. Try a water based, non flammable pickling stain on some left over travertine pieces (never the wall, well usless you are reallly that good : ) I usually start with a watered down mix and see how it reacts to the stone. When I am done I use a water based, low VOC, non flamable sealer.

I do preface this with I am a professional and do recommend you hire a professional that uses high end products and have a sample made before actually treating the entire wall. Also choose the grout color, mix some up and let it dry (they usually dry lighter than the samples) and try to match the travertine new color to the counter and grout.

I "paint" stone all the time to match existing stone or repair damage.

It is not the best answer for quality, tearing it out and starting again is, but, it is what it is, and your husband will be much happier with this solution.

Good luck!

JJ
2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 8:16AM
kinnyginny
Thanks so much for your comments. Will first try the white wash idea and hopefully I will like the result. If not I'll be sending hubby on a trip and calling an installer !!
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 9:02AM
kinnyginny
What sort of issues will I have if I have the tile removed? One wall is exterior and the other is not. Was told by one supplier that it would be a disaster to remove it from an exterior wall. But the tile was just installed on Tuesday. Any ideas ??
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 9:28AM
PRO
Ironwood Builders
It's a disaster that you don't like your tile! It should peel off OK, exterior wall or not. Drywall repair will be necessary....then work on the replacement tile with your counter top...in your kitchen...bring samples home from the tile supplier! Most will sign out samples if they are reasonably sure of a sale!
2 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 10:33AM
PRO
Kallini Homes Inc.
Another suggest, which you can discuss with your installer is to tile right over the existing tile. It may require a special glue, probably an epoxy based one. I'm a contractor and I have seen it done, but I don't know how long it will last. Usually, I've seen tile over tile fail on floors and high moisture areas like showers, but kitchen back slash should be fine. Given your situation, I would probably take the chance for cost purposes ( which I suspect your husband has the issue with :) ) .
One a side note, I do think the back splash is not suited to your counter tops.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 10:47AM
kinnyginny
Thanks. Appreciate the suggestions.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 10:51AM
stetson580
Have you tried sealing a piece yet? Aquatec makes a decent sealer/enhancer that might tone down the pink a bit.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 11:10AM
PRO
Twisted Minds Custom Designs
If you have extra tiles you may want to see how they will look when sealer is applied, if you use a matte type the pink hues may be subdued, or take them to your tile supplier or paint store and see if you can get a tinted sealer custom mixed to generate the look you would like. Hope this helps.
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 11:12AM
PRO
One Specialty Landscape Design, Pools & Hardscape
Travertines and marbles, are softer stones that readily soak up liquids, which means you can alter the color with dyes based on your personal preference. If you look online you can find different colors of concrete dyes (not water based stain) and try a sample area. You will need to seal the counter top after you dye it.

David Gaona
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 11:35AM
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
If dyeing the tile works, let us know. There are many people that would love to be able to make subtle changes such as this.
1 Like   January 25, 2013 at 12:16PM
kinnyginny
Ok. Will do
0 Likes   January 25, 2013 at 12:28PM
jessicag118
If you do rip it out, I suggest a white subway tile. It is inexpensive, it goes with anything, it is timeless and won't take away from the beautiful granite. BTW I was curious what type of granite that is? It is beautiful and I am looking for ideas!
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 7:55AM
kinnyginny
It's ice brown very simular to Alaska white
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:00AM
kinnyginny
We have decided to tile over it. We had a mural installed and are definitely going to keep it so we have to also find something that compliments it as well. Here is a pic of it before installation. It's done on Durango. Do you think the white subway would look ok or should stay with the travertine stone. Maybe we can find a white travertine subway tile
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:06AM
kinnyginny
Oops I mean article white granite
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:13AM
kinnyginny
Oops again. Arctic White
0 Likes   January 28, 2013 at 9:14AM
sspitler01
Hmm...are you sure you want to go with that mural?it just seems to me that it would
A. Look very busy with the texture in your countertops
B. Could easily appear dated in a few years, and
C. Bring back more of those pinkish hues ( although I may be seeing wrong due to the picture)

I would, since you're committed to tiling over it anyway, try a little bit of that tile "stain"/ whitewash technique that some of the pro recommended, just to see if it works. ( if its something you can buy -idk, it may be something you can only have a pro do...)

Another thing I thought, if you we're going to try and live with the combo ( which, personally, I probably wouldn't notice till I was up close), is you could embrace the pink -on-grey color scheme by finding a pinkish hued marble utensil caddy or set of jars, or maybe even a pink kitchen aid mixer. You wouldn't need to go full throttle pink or anything, though.

Good luck!
1 Like   January 28, 2013 at 10:53AM
More Discussions
Master suite design help/advice/ideas
Hi everyone, We currently live in a 1900ish sqft house...
Living Room Help!
In need of some design ideas for our living room. Accent...
Color for my too neutral living room
Any advice to add a bit of color to my too neutral...
Dining Table Rec Needed.
Help please! I'm struggling to find a table that works...
My "Woman" Cave... a soon to be peaceful retreat for ME!
This room has 2 sets of french doors with a set up...
People viewed this after searching for:
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.