Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Front entrance too large?
rosannemerl
January 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi, do you think the front door should move forward. I have attached our house plan floor layout and a pic of the entrance I am trying to achieve.The entire entrance is under roof. Some say it is wasted space. I am not sure if bringing it forward would still look good considering the width. Any ideas on layout of the open plan space. We are a young family of 4. My kids are toddlers so we want to create a space for our growing family that is cozy yet stylish. We want to incorporate a fireplace as well. Welcome all ideas or thoughts :)
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
rosannemerl
plan
January 25, 2013 at 6:54am   
suesiewert
Floor plan is not attached!
January 25, 2013 at 6:55am   
grannygown
This is a Beautiful entrance...I am planning a similar one on mine..I want the Door and Sidelights on mine to come out further so that the space is not wasted...Your's is really Beautiful as is unless you just want the extra inside space...My Home is not as Big or new as yours...
January 25, 2013 at 6:56am   
rosannemerl
thanks grannygown. we are busy renovating a 1950's house and it is alot of work. trying not break down the entire house. I went a bit crazy with the arch and the centre arch height is about 9 ft. the height of the house will be 10 ft. Hence my hesitation on moving it forward.
January 25, 2013 at 7:04am   
grannygown
Same here..my House was built in the early 50's have lived here 39 years and done only minor remodeling except for removing a wall to remodel and update my Kitchen about 5 Years ago..I am planning on doing more next year so I am getting lots of Idea's..Thanks for the Picture of Your Front door...I am leaning this way only smaller scale...
January 25, 2013 at 7:28am   
PRO
STUDIO MB
Not sure who is telling you to move the entrance forward, but they are way off base. Here is a home I did and the entrance is set back at least 10 feet. Please don't move it forward,:)
January 25, 2013 at 7:34am     
PRO
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I agree with keeping the covered porch and not moving the entrance forward. As someone who does not have a covered porch, I am envious. There is no where for guests to stand out of the rain, no where to place umbrellas when entering during bad weather and it is just not as inviting. I love your inspiration picture - go for it. It is not wasted space.
January 25, 2013 at 7:38am     
wmpj
I think the entrance in the first picture is gorgeous. It's nice to have a covered entrance. I think guests appreciate it too.
January 25, 2013 at 7:39am     
lefty47
HI -- I think moving the front door forward is going to ruin the grand look of the house . If your wanting a more seperate area when you enter ,- that should be done on the inside .
January 25, 2013 at 7:48am     
PRO
Ironwood Builders
The front door is under a bearing wall. Moving it forward robs the beam or header there of a meaning to exist. The move of the door would also require foundation changes to carry the new framing. How much is this worth to you? How much interior space is gained and at what cost? Finishing the interior to match the existing finishes too! I'm looking at $15K-$20K for what, maybe 40 sq.ft? That's some high dollar floor space.
January 25, 2013 at 7:56am     
PRO
Dytecture
I agree with keeping the current location of the front door. You can also utilize the shape of the roof to define this porch area.

January 25, 2013 at 7:57am