Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Update on "Finishing touches needed"
niktay
January 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Yesterday I posted a room that needed some help and received some great suggestions (the first pic is of the room as it was yesterday).

I presented some ideas to hubby and he wasn't too happy about putting more holes in our newly painted walls. :/

So I'm trying to work around to see if I can get this too work.

I posted some new pictures of a new arrangement of the piano. I'm not sure what to do with the chairs. I have a small ottoman coming (24 round 15 high).

The entrance to the room is a large archway and then one wall is pretty much windows (still debating window treatments depending on how I place everything else).

So if I might impose again on some ideas with this new arrangement and see if I can get it to work.

The "couch" is just two chairs put together so they can be separated.

I found a table that might work if I put the chairs by the window. Or I could leave the chairs/couch under the picture with a small table and ottoman. and Then find a low colorful bench to put under the window?

Thanks for your thoughts (again!)
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
niktay
Other views, Maybe this table? Maybe this side table?
January 25, 2013 at 8:20am   
niktay
This is the ottoman that is coming. I'm hoping it will work in the room.
January 25, 2013 at 8:21am   
niktay
I think I need to rearrange the stuff on top of the piano. maybe remove the plants. They don't seem to work. I need to find stuff for the shelves if they end up working. But I think I might find a couple additional items to hang around them to beef up the shelves. Hopefully I can make it work and have it look good.
January 25, 2013 at 8:26am   
elklaker
I liked the original arrangement better. I like the table but was thinking of something a bit larger. I think it needs some lamps and that seems too small. Don't you love us "armchair quarterbacks"? Nothing like slugging a bunch of furniture around-especially a piano! It's going to be your call but your focal point will be whatever is on the wall with the shelves.
January 25, 2013 at 8:29am   
PRO
Design & Decor By Shelley
I prefer the other arrangement also..The wall with the baskets currently needs to be your focal point as you walk in the room..This is where you need to concentrate on your accent colour..
January 25, 2013 at 8:32am   
Linda Coolen
I think you should put the art piece plus the shelves on the large wall in pic 1. Then find something else for on top of your piano. That wall appears to be the focus when you walk in and needs alot of drama with that paint choice. Good luck
January 25, 2013 at 8:37am   
decoenthusiaste
Hubs will have to get over the hole-in-the-wall syndrome, because you're going to have to make some adjustments. Art and other hanging decor should be 5-8" above the piece of furniture it is with, so if you move the sofa/chairs against that wall you'll have to make more holes. Do you plan to add a sofa eventually? You do need some color, so I'd suggest a red chesterfield flanked by your chairs. You seem to be daring enough to pull that off. Here are some area rug suggestions too.
living room
Sicily Red Leather Sofa
January 25, 2013 at 8:42am     
PRO
Welcome Home designs
Hi
My first response would be - what is the function of this room?
Do you entertain guests, read, play piano and guitar?
Once you have a purpose for a room then it helps focus your decorating and purchasing.
If you have people sitting and visiting then you need side tables and/or coffee table for drinks etc.
If you read and relax then you need floor lamps and ottoman or comfy chair.
If you play instruments then you might need storage for music books etc.
I like the idea of your piano being the first thing you see when walking into to the room. I would make it the focal point.
Good luck!
January 25, 2013 at 8:52am   
niktay
It's the first room you see in the house. It doesn't get used often. Not too many sit in there, nor do we really entertain or anything in there. I do read in there on occasion. Piano playing at times, sometimes guitar. It's still a work in progress.
January 25, 2013 at 9:09am   
niktay
also, the room is only 12x12 - so I worry about putting a large sized couch in there with the chairs. I love the red couch though.

I also love the rugs - I like the second one - Do you know where that is from? What size would I get for the room though? (sorry, I guess I'm a bit of a dunce when it comes to interior design!)
January 25, 2013 at 9:13am   
niktay
Also, If I put the chairs on the wall with the art - I can lower the picture - Would I keep it centered on the wall still? If I center the chairs it seems too close to the piano. And would I lower it so the picture is 5-8" above the chairs? I just didn't know if I should hang it that low with the ceiling being so high.
January 25, 2013 at 9:15am   
PRO
Then & Again Designs
I love the red sofa idea. Add a great rug and coffee table, separate the white chairs, add something red over the piano and you will have an awesome room. If you don't need much seating, maybe the sofa could be a daybed or upholstered bench.
January 25, 2013 at 9:18am   
decoenthusiaste
The two rugs are at homedecorators.com. Rose one is under red rugs, the outlined floral one is under gray rugs. Here are some more red options - maybe smaller and one is a sleeper sofa. Look for settee style and apartment sized to find smaller scale seating. As for hanging pictures - you and your furniture live in the first 7-8' of the space so unless you have a huge piece of art that needs to fill the upper wall, decorate for where you live. Art, etc. must visually attach to the furniture it is with and if alone the center of the piece of art should be about 60" off the floor. You have to learn to ignore the space above 8-9 feet.
Pullman Red Leather Bench | Crate&Barrel
Belchamp Chesterfield Sofa
Bosco Sleeper Sofa
January 25, 2013 at 9:49am     
PRO
Budget Blinds
Great paint color!
January 25, 2013 at 10:32am