powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
I need to paint my kitchen. Any suggestion on wall color?
Tammy Tucker
January 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
My husband wants to keep the cabinets like they are. Need a color. Any suggestion?
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
AMN
I think a fresh buttermilk color or a soft gray-green.

Like these:
Beach Cottage Living Room

Rustic Modern Kitchen
January 25, 2013 at 12:44PM     
apple_pie_order
Are you going to paint over the brick, leave it as is, or remove it?

The cabinets look like they are in very good shape. I like the color suggestions from AMN above.
January 25, 2013 at 1:01PM     
Tammy Tucker
I'm leaving the bricks like they are, just painting the walls. Thanks
January 25, 2013 at 1:50PM     
putter2
I like the fresh buttermilk idea........bricks, too, as they look so dark.
January 25, 2013 at 2:45PM     
anitajoyce
I too, love the colors AMN presented.
January 25, 2013 at 2:54PM     
jennef
I had to smile when you wrote that your husband wanted to keep them as they were!
Why is it that men get so upset at the idea of painting wood kitchen cabinets?!
I agree they should be a light ivory .
The bricks,too.
January 25, 2013 at 2:54PM     
anitajoyce
I agree with jennef's whole comment. You could Let your hubby know that the kitchen is where you spend a great deal of time preparing daily meals and painting the cabinets and brick would add a nice update and brighten the room a bit.
January 25, 2013 at 3:21PM     
loghomecats
I would paint it all white, bricks, cabinets. then a warmish pale butter on the walls, then, and add fresh modern silver hardware. They're really cute vintage cabinets paint would really update the whole kitchen for cheap!
January 25, 2013 at 4:02PM     
eggplant46
We had a knotty pine cupboard filled kitchen and we painted the cabinets red, leaving the knotty pine where it is elsewhere on the walls. It's pretty cheery and makes a bold statement.
January 25, 2013 at 4:06PM     
mimix7
Be sure to remove the curly bottoms on the cupboards. New hardware is a must. Replacing the brick with some glass tiles would be an easy update and add some color.
January 25, 2013 at 4:20PM     
PRO
A Vintage Affair
If you must keep the cabinets the way they are and want to keep the brick look at least paint the "mortar" white or cream to lighten it up and give the brick walls a fresh look.
January 25, 2013 at 7:33PM     
rosebud614
If you don't want to paint the cabinets update the hardware and paint the brick a nice light color.
January 25, 2013 at 7:44PM     
kaitlynsutherland
If you want to go with a color that will add to the resale value....current trends call for nuetral earth tones. I personally have a black and white kitchen and will be painting the walls a Behr paint color called spiced cashews
January 25, 2013 at 7:54PM     
andreese
Love the cabinets!!!! Wouldn't touch them....
January 25, 2013 at 8:03PM     
Laura Sylvia
I like the cabinets the way they are, it would be a shame to ruin them with paint.
January 25, 2013 at 8:22PM     
kaitlynsutherland
The cabinets look out of date tho. Lose the trim and update the color with gel stain, new hardware
January 25, 2013 at 8:24PM     
daughterofelvis
I am not sure what your style is, might I suggest changing out the hardware knobs, especially the hinges. The hinges seem to draw your eye to them. They need to be concealed. I see you don't want to replace the brick, maybe you could paint it white/light colour? Best of luck!
January 25, 2013 at 11:17PM     
Susanna
Would it help if we start a petition for you? You're nicer to your husband than I am to mine, apparently.
January 26, 2013 at 1:32AM     
Genevieve
You have the colour right on the counter, the green of the mug will bring your appliance to surface and give your kitchen an instant breeze of freshness , natural wood and green is perfect in my opinion ,very natural.
January 26, 2013 at 3:49AM     
eggplant46
That green Genevieve suggests is great. Actually we first painted ONLY the bottom knotty pine cabinets in our house a similar color to the green of that mug... then after about 10 yrs. we went for the red and did top an bottom... I have to say I love the red and a lot of people comment, too. We have very little wall space, but that is a cream color.
January 26, 2013 at 5:13AM   
Genevieve
[houzz=
]

Picture your dark appliances and the green painted walls or bricks
January 26, 2013 at 5:21AM     
Tammy Tucker
One reason I'm keeping my cabinets they were my husband's grandmother. I sanded the cabinets and repainted the hinges. I like the first comment on the colors. If I went with a gray green paint what color curtain over the sink.
January 26, 2013 at 6:27AM     
Tammy Tucker
Do I leave this in the kitchen?
January 26, 2013 at 6:32AM     
Genevieve
if you have enough room to move around I say yes, looking at preserves gives a country kitchen a warm touch and since these were your husband's grandmother's cupboards you could have a little picture of her in your kitchen to complete it .
January 26, 2013 at 6:45AM     
14thstreet
SW Techno Gray would be really nice in your kitchen. It looks gray on the swatch, but is actually is a very pale green also. I've used it in kitchens and bathrooms for a fresh light look. In fact, one of the kitchens even has the faux-wood butcher block formica counter top like yours and it turned out beautiful.

I know you said you want to keep the brick paneling the way it is, but please consider painting it the same SW Techno Gray and leaving the cabinets the way they are. Right now the brick takes away from the natural wood of the cabinets.

Also, I would personally just remove the valance over the window since it covers so much of it up. Leave the white blinds, they will look great with a new backsplash and wall color.
January 26, 2013 at 7:35AM     
peggykp
I, too have origional made from wood on the property 1948 pine cabinets with a raised hearth fireplace in the kitchen. I painted the walls a soft butter color and....sacrilige..painted the bricks that like yours were very dark and not pretty! We painted the motor an off white and then rolled the face of the brick a soft blue/green....the result was incredible. I liked the color so much I had my husband put up beadboard on the far end wall of the kitchen and we painted that the same color as the brick! It pulled the room together! You could also put beadboard as a back splash over the brick to break up the amount of brick in the kitchen.
January 26, 2013 at 8:07AM     
apple_pie_order
It would help to see the whole room. Could you take photos of each side of the room from the opposite side? Then include a photo of the overhead light fixture.

Once you have photos that show a lot of the room's walls, you can use the Sherwin Williams Color Visualizer. It's quick and fun:
http://www.sherwin-williams.com
January 26, 2013 at 8:14AM     
Kelly Nicole
I would paint the bricks white and put some new hardware and updated knobs on the cabinets to give it fresh modern vibe.
January 26, 2013 at 8:24AM   
Tammy Tucker
Ok this is the view of my kitchen.
January 26, 2013 at 10:35AM     
annmarie960
In my other home I had the same cabinets w/ the same red brick , I stripe all the cabinets of the orig. stain and than after I seen how the wood was, I then decided to apply a very light med.oak color stain. All new hardware and the red brick I did paint it with a white wash and you will more than likely need two coats.But it makes a world of a difference . The red brick is just dragging your kitchen down.
I'm sorry I can not add any photo's but they and many other thing where LOST in our move . : (
GOOD LUCK !!
January 26, 2013 at 10:36AM     
Patti Wilson
The Knotty Pine is a very very "busy" wood. If you had plain white cabinets then you could have a busy counter top, wall decorations, and a fussy fringe curtain on the window (on top of shades).

You have a lot...a lot...going on with red brick, knotty pine and patterned counters. There is no flat undecorated, untextured place for the eye to rest.

Make the cabinets the prime feature rather than trying to decorate around them. Go with a cool neutral wall color as the pine is a commanding warm tone. I like the hinges and knobs as well as the floor and island. I would either paint the dark bookcase same color as the wall or move it out to create a more spacious feeling.

Use muted, pale dusty greens and blue-greys balanced and complimented the wood and brick.
January 26, 2013 at 10:58AM     
apple_pie_order
This is a nice big room with a good layout. The walls look like painted pine already. I'd go with the greens or blue grays suggested by several posters.

You could move the toile valance in *in front of* the pine wood valence. That'd still give you decorative impact but free up the window to let light in. It could also hide the old fluorescent light. Can you replace that light with a new fluorescent or a three-light downward pointing fixture? Alternatively, paint the front edge of the fixture white or the same color as the walls.

I'd also take the unused pot rack down over the island. In fact, after painting, I'd choose all new decorative items. Just for a change. The large metal fruit sculpture is likely to clash with new paint unless the new paint colors are taken from it or the new paint is an off white. Put an unexpected framed piece of art in the nook next to the sink (maybe it was once a cooktop area), as large as the space. Or a framed mirror.

I do like the black bookcase with the preserves. Paint it if you like. It goes nicely with the black painted island.
January 26, 2013 at 12:06PM   
marewalker7
Our prior home had solid dark wood cabinets. Needless to say, money was an issue and it is very rare to find solid wood cabinets. They are all pressed board. Yuck! With patience and a lot of work the doors were sanded and primed with Zinsser and then three coats of semi-gloss paint. Lightly sanded between each coats. They were painted in a creamy white (almost) antiqued white). I have observed that people get impatient and don't wait for the paint to cure. Once the paint is cured, the surface will hold up to just about anything. Always keep a small bit of paint for unexpected touch-ups.
I put satin finished black iron knobs on the drawers and drawers. It gave the kitchen a french country look. Old fashioned french rooster border used on just the soffit area set the them. It came out pretty awesome. Yes, people have an issue with painting wood. We, also, had fake brick on the back splash. It was dark, outdated, and hard to clean. Cleaning up grease was gross, it got into the crevices. I took someones advice and also painted the brick with the same paint as cabinets. It gave the kitchen a cohesive fresh look and much easier to clean up. It has been my experience that solid warm color on wall surface allows you to change the decor of the room for every season and it is much easier to keep the room up dated through the years. Classic bones to a room never go out of stye.
January 26, 2013 at 12:10PM     
marewalker7
Just a note. Our kitchen was a major part of daily living. It was dark and gloomy. So you wanted to avoid it. Not enjoying the kitchen (ours was open to the living room) to preserve wood which darkens things is a shame. Just saying that was what was happening in our home. Your home is your sanctuary where you relax from the hubbub of life. Good luck!
January 26, 2013 at 12:17PM     
PRO
Hummingbird Designs
I would take off the swirly bottom up date hardware lighten up the brick (or remove them) as for wall colour very pale green, your appliances are black so you need to lighten up the room ,and you can use granny apple green as accent colours through out the kitchen. Just a thought :)
January 26, 2013 at 2:41PM     
PRO
Aegean Designing Whims
Your cabinets really have a cabin/lodge look. What does the rest of your house look like? And is that the look you'd like to end up with?
Is painting the extent of your budget?
You could keep your cabinets and replace the formica counter with black granite.
Or, the least expensive things you can do is add more color with your valance, which I agree with hanging it over the cornice (or whatever it is).
I know you use your kitchen, but decluttering the counter top and keeping only the true essentials out would help too. That's easier said than done.
Chrysteen
January 26, 2013 at 2:54PM     
PRO
Aegean Designing Whims
Oops, I forgot to suggest changing your blinds to pine also. Chrysteen
January 26, 2013 at 2:55PM   
PRO
Show to Sell, LLC
Try updating by changing the hardware to brushed pewter and paint walls edge comb gray Benjamin Moore HC173. Remove the window treatment and just leave the blinds.
January 26, 2013 at 3:08PM     
mlondon17
i agree with painting the brick a soft white and the wall that pretty green. brighten it up a bit!
January 26, 2013 at 3:11PM     
MAlps
Would do soft (mint) green and paint the brick white
January 26, 2013 at 3:14PM     
onewaterone
Yes, the black hardware has got to go, change it out for internal which is supper cheap to do. Next thing that needs to be done is cutting the bottom of the cabinets so its lines are straight. This can be done for free with chalk line saw and sander. The cabinets clash with your counter tops so this kitchen will never look clean, that's what happens when things clash. Replace counter tops with a light solid color or stop the clash with light by adding puck lighting on a dimmer for $20-$30. This will also eliminate visible cords and trying to hide them and add tons of light. Sand down and clear coat your little robins egg shelf or move it to a white wall. Replace the electrical plug out let covers in this area to try and match your brick. Your spice cabinet would look wonderful over your stove but mount it on both the wall and a wooded shelf with coatings to make it easier to clean.
January 26, 2013 at 3:16PM     
Mary Regan
I grew up with those cabinets and I am 63, so they are very out dated, I keep waiting for them to come back but so far the only knotty pine I see is in older homes. I would sand and paint them in a ivory color with a soft green for the walls and the brick, although you might want to do the brink in a very pale yellow almost a white. If you have to keep them as they are please take off the scroll work it is very early American looking and does little for a design.
January 26, 2013 at 4:40PM     
Kim Schreiber
I would go with the gray/green paint for the walls. Either paint the brick cream (white is too bright for your cabinets) or get rid of it all together. Don't put a window treatment above the sink, it's too busy with all you have going on. Fresh blinds will brighten it up and let lot's of light in and get rid of that light bar - add under cabinet lights - very inexpensive. A built in microwave would look awesome in that space where the blue shelf is and much more updated. You might want to check out the new counter resurfacing kits at Home Depot and Lowes -they are very easy and you could update the counters instead of the cabinets...go with a cream. What you really want to achieve is taking the attention away from the outdated cabinets and draw the attention elsewhere with fresh, clean lines and colors. Stay away from all the knick knacks on the walls and counters...sometimes less is more in decorating. Put away the canned foods, perhaps in a pantry or cupboard.
January 26, 2013 at 6:40PM     
maggiemae0552
Grandma would WANT you to paint those cabinets! She probably wanted to paint them! The cabinets are beautiful and cottagey looking and what an amazing difference it would make. It's your kitchen now and you need to put your touch on it. Is the brick real brick or faux brick? Whatever it is paint it! LinenWhite is a beautiful off white. keep us posted! i love a good makeover!
January 26, 2013 at 7:06PM     
lorimike1
butter. light beige or off white would really make it lighten up i would also update the hardware on the cabinets to get a whole new feel the cabinets are in great shape! good luck
January 26, 2013 at 7:16PM   
dingbatcat
Farrow& Ball paint colours and The book by Kevin McCloud CHOOSING COLORS has very good color combos...Kathryn M. Ireland CREATING A HOME book excelente too...Now first youre gonna have to edit edit edit remove top doors over sink paint interior (if you can cut wood away so its all one unified open space ) use that to display your prettier objects if you want country theme (since the cabinets have a detailed curve I would choose Farrow& Ball ARSENIC green or if thats too bold for you TERESAS GREEN for interior and TALLOW(kind of buttermilk white) on upper cabinets and outer wood over sink cabinets since marriage is a compromise leave bottom cabinets the way they are for your husband paint brick same TALLOW but scrape away to give it an aged weathered look as for your black display shelf and island pick up the red in your toile fabric paint them edit edit edit what you put back on shelves(think display in your favorite shop anthropologie always has inspirational arrangements) yellow walls will work but if you want paint the same TALLOW I'd paint the doors the same red or green you choose for interior cabinets but I like color dont forget your ceiling is a wall too Also I'd paint the wrought iron light fixture? Or pot rack? same red or green as interior cabinets and stool legs...if you can I cant tell what it is exactley to the right of your black shelf the white plastic door? Shade? Have a curtain panel made out of same toile fabric.....its always better to do this when the hubbys not home good luck
January 27, 2013 at 3:07AM   
PRO
JAN MOYER
What is it with men and this reverence for wood and brick? It must be a testosterone thing, and the minute it is suggested, you'd think someone suggested lopping off the family jewels .. : ) You'd faint from joy, with cupboards, brick painted. Talk about fainting huh? lol. But you seriously would enjoy your time spent in the kitchen MORE. A lot more.
January 27, 2013 at 4:04AM     
Lori Grayson
I notice that the bottom of your island and the bookcase are cottage black. I suggest you paint the cabinets cottage black. Remove the scroll from the bottom of your cabinets (cut and sand). Change out the hardware for brushed nickel and White wash the brick. If you have the budget. Replace those two small cabinet doors with glass doors and add some lighting in there (Ikea has some).

Here are some pictures of the look...
January 27, 2013 at 4:42AM     
sallyknecht
Your husband is out of his mind...PAINT THEM and Please change the cabinet pulls.
January 27, 2013 at 5:15AM     
dreaw80
If you must keep the cabinets as are I agree with AMN that soft fern green color works only if you make that brick backsplash go away, The back splash definetly needs a major upgrade.
January 27, 2013 at 5:20AM     
Kimberly Hoyt
I can relate, having one of those husbands who hates to paint/change anything! haha
In fact, he gave me a hard time about painting old melamine cabinets that were so stained they were impossible to clean properly. He finally gave in and let me paint them, and he LOVED the new look. But he's still holding out on painting other things because they hold sentimental value for him. I think it's a universal thing, because most women I talk to say the same thing: their husbands don't want to paint wood, even if it's in poor shape.
But the other commenters are right, YOU spend a lot of time in the kitchen and if there's any room that you should be able to do with as you want, that's it. Hoping your husband sees how important it is for you to have free reign to make that room as pleasant and beautiful as you can.
That said, you need to take all our comments with a grain of salt, because we all have different tastes and what we like may not be what you like. If you like the decorative bottoms of the cabinets, then by all means leave them alone. But if not? Lop 'em off!
From what I see in the photos, the brick only appears in the back splash? Again, if you like the look, leave it alone. If you think you'd prefer it a different color, either paint it or cover it up with bead board as someone else suggested. One of the houses we lived in had a shiny black tile back splash that didn't go with my decorating scheme AT ALL. I'd already painted the musty old cheap cabinets a bright white, so on the back splash I used a spray paint that mimics the look of stone. I chose a grayish-white color and it went really well with the white cabinets.
The countertop does rather clash with the cabinets, so you might try one of those kits that are available in home improvement stores now that another commenter mentioned. Or find a tutorial online that shows how to do it with regular paint. Choose a treatment that coordinates with the other elements in the room (not just the cabinets, but also the flooring and whatever color you put on the walls).
For the walls definitely choose a soft color. All the suggestions have been great, but what do YOU like? Make sure you pick a color you love. Yellow has been a favorite since I was a child, and I continually find myself going back to it. What color makes you happiest? Since you probably spend more time in the kitchen than any other room of the house (except your bedroom, and you're asleep most of the time you're in it), you want to make that a room that brings you joy and makes you glad to be there.
For years I clipped pictures out of magazines and kept a scrapbook I called my "dream book" -- looking forward to a day when I'd have a place of my own to do with as I wanted. Nowadays I pin anything I like online :) But over 20 years of doing this has shown me what I love, that I keep coming back to: a white kitchen. White kitchens happen to be all the rage right now, and frankly I don't think they ever go completely out of style, but again, it depends on what YOU like.
Also, think about how you live. If the shelf with the canned goods serves its purpose, and you enjoy looking at all the fruits of your labor, by all means leave it right there. It seems to balance that side of the room with a splash of black, that goes well with the island and other black accents I see here and there.
It wouldn't hurt to create a mood board with the different elements you have in the kitchen, and then "audition" different colors and fabrics to see what you like best. It would be time well spent, because although paint is a cheap and quick change, you really don't want to be doing it again and again. And I've read accounts of women who got in a hurry, sure they'd like a particular color on their walls or cabinets, only to find out they HATED it.
It also wouldn't hurt to look through the Houzz site or Pinterest at kitchens, and see which ones you really like. "Clip" them and then after you have a few dozen, take note of what you like about each one. Is there a recurring theme? In other words, figure out what your style is first. Then, with that in mind, start choosing colors and accents.
Happy decorating!
January 27, 2013 at 5:49AM     
linda29609
I have the same knotty pine cabinets and can't afford to pay someone to paint them for me and I can't physically do it myself. So I have chosen to maintain the vintage 30's look of the cabinets and hard wear.

I have a 1931 bungalow that has tacky updates from the 60's & 70's - think avocado green shag carpet over pine floors. lol. In my kitchen, I need to strip the two different wallpapers and paint the walls of my kitchen. I love the apple green, and buttermilk or tallow color suggestions.

For the brick, I think I would white wash them to lighten the look. Also think white appliances and white woodwork would brighten the kitchen above. I would also keep the jelly cabinet, either painted to match the walls or white washed to lighten it up like the bricks.
January 27, 2013 at 6:16AM   
Mary Regan
We all have a color that we just love and every time we see the color we say that is it. I would take a color I love and either use it as the main color on the walls or cabinets or use it as a hint of color in small areas. But remember colors date themselves in a few years so try to stay natural on the cabinets, walls are easy to change but cabinets and counter tops are a different story. This might sound a little crazy but after looking at your cabinets and if you are not going to change them I would paint my walls orange, and then do a very light orange on the brick. I think the thing that is dating your kitchen is the brick it is so dark, I would just figure out how to brighten it up.
January 27, 2013 at 6:23AM     
igause
I think the cabinets are classic and will last a life time, but the brick would have to be painted a pale green or buttermilk would be great. it would lighten the dark color in the kitchen and look more modern country to use a beautiful soft tile over the brick backsplash or paint them. I prefer a new backsplash in tile using an accent tile with copper design every foot or so.
January 27, 2013 at 6:50AM   
igause
Definitly change counter tops to soft beigelgold silestone or granite or black to match hardware on cabinets.
January 27, 2013 at 6:52AM   
kady5
One comment I haven't seen here, in addition to painting the brick or replacing it with tile, losing the scalloped trim, and changing out the hardware, is to add undercabinet lighting. You can get some good LED light strips and preferably get an electrician to hardwire them to a switch. Good undercabinet lighting does as much for a kitchen as anything else, IMHO. 10W 12V lighting is even better, but requires a transformer. Try to light the entire undercabinet area and you'll wonder how you ever lived without it :0)). Good Luck!
January 27, 2013 at 7:10AM     
Henry Valati
Paint the bricks, change the hardware, and the cabinets, Please! Kitchen is very tired.
January 27, 2013 at 7:31AM   
Lynne Forrestal
Yes kady5, the addtion of lighting is perfect. that will lighten things up, also, the light to med gray green family color, or popular blues would give some cooler balance to the wood and brick, I'd match the valance to the new paint color to continue that color over towards the cabinets more. There are enough textures with the cabinets knotty pine and the brick, so smooth and sleek to balance things out. Possibly painting the black center counter a shade or two darker than the wall color would tie things together and lighten up the space some too. , maybe the same on the book case.
I understand that the cabinets and brick are staying as is..... pick your battles, this may not be the right time for the battle of the cabinets :)
January 27, 2013 at 7:31AM   
Lynne Forrestal
Can you hang the valance, ( with a straight bottom) up higher to hide the top under the cabinet trim? and perhaps extend it out to the Right to have the entire wall area covered with the valance,? that would simplify the look there... just seems things are a bit busy. Your look is very comfortable and cozy feeling... just needs some softening.. good luck
January 27, 2013 at 7:34AM   
PRO
Rustic Wood Studio
I don't know much about paint color, but it looks like your home is perfect for my hand-carved rustic switch plates and outlet covers: www.rusticwoodstudio.com

My plates are slightly larger than the standard plastic plates, but I can cut them to fit tight spaces, like the outlet in the pic that butts up against the top of the back splash.
January 27, 2013 at 7:51AM     
aduipile123
I have a belated question....are those real bricks? I wonder since brick facing or even brick panels have been available for a long time and in the photos it's hard to tell if these are the real deal. If they are not real I would remove them pronto and consider using tin (as in reproductions of old ceiling panels) which would keep within the rustic theme or just a soft paint color on plaster that blends and serves as a transition from the cabinets to the counter tops. There's a lot of texture and pattern happening here already and minimizing texture in the backsplash will make the space feel lighter, brighter and cleaner. It will also keep the focus on the uniqueness of the cabinets which are a very strong statement in themselves. I am also wondering if you have any under-cabinet lighting? Good under-cabinet lighting would make a huge difference in opening the space visually and of course creating much needed task lighting for counter top work.
January 27, 2013 at 7:52AM     
Cathy Mills
Get read of the scalloped bottoms of the cabinets first thing! They make wonderful cabinet paint kits, all in one box, but if hubby wants to stay in a time warp, then I would paint the bricks (you'll never get those things off the wall) a light white sage. I'd also get read of the fake wood counter. They make low cost formica counters that look like granite, something with a hint of sage in it, probably would cost less than $800. I wouldn't put any curtains on that window, just the mini blinds, that would help brighten up things.
January 27, 2013 at 7:52AM   
aduipile123
The scalloped bottoms of the cabinets are part of the cabinets style would serve as valances for under-counter lighting...makes no sense to remove them.
January 27, 2013 at 7:56AM     
Erica Knapp Hubler
A Great Wall color that can change the look in any room is relaxed Khaki from sherwin Williams. Here's a house I'm currently renovating with the color on the walls.
January 27, 2013 at 8:04AM     
Mary Regan
Erica, I am not sure I like that wall color sort of reminds me of army barracks, love the house tho.
January 27, 2013 at 8:14AM   
Erica Knapp Hubler
It looks different in every house depending on the natural light & different natural wood...not everyone's taste
January 27, 2013 at 8:19AM   
honeyg911
I love the cabinets. They are rich in color and design. I would suggest just changing the hardware.
January 27, 2013 at 8:20AM     
Lynne Forrestal
Erica, the Khaki is wonderful, but in this kitchen I think there are enough brown tones, needs some cool, green / blues to offset the brown/golden tones...and yes, the same color can look totally different in different lighting conditions or with different colors adjacent to it...
January 27, 2013 at 8:26AM   
cathyha2210
relaxed khaki is a great color...I just did a Jack and Jill bathroom in that shade, and did the adjoining bedrooms in the wool skein
January 27, 2013 at 8:28AM   
Ramona
Your ideabook suggests you want a white kitchen. I would paint the brick and am assuming it is not real. You have painted paneling on the rest of the kitchen? So this is a very country look. I don't think removing the hardware is a practical choice as it would leave lots of holes on the outside of the cabinets. Your husband wants to save this look for a lot of good reasons probably having to do with his childhood. However, I do agree that you have a lot of busy going on here. Some of it needs to be neutralized. Replacing the counter top with a more neutral laminate and painting the brick will go a long, long way. I also like the idea of repainting the island to match whatever color you put on the walls, making it a shade darker. There is far too much dark in this kitchen for someone who is hankering for a white kitchen. I'm not sure what I would put on the counter top. Maybe take a drawer to the counter top store and see what looks good. Show your husband your ideabook and ask him to give you some leeway on the counter tops and back splash.
January 27, 2013 at 8:30AM     
lindy1
At one time I had a kitchen as yours. If you love the look of the cabinets maybe look into hammered strap hinges, I'm pretty sure your husband would still like the look. Put Under .counter lighting to make the bricks brighter . Maybe they should have a shiny seal put on them to update and make it easier to clean? Lemon or Lime paint color would bring freshness to the kitchen; but if you desire to stay in the more cabin color feel go with a Carmel color. Your kitchen has great bones,work at this slow so you are sure the choices you made are right. It is your kitchen!
January 27, 2013 at 8:39AM     
rossboyle
A soft Peach in semi gloss will make the knots in those beautiful pine cabinets "Pop"
Those are gorgeous custom built cabinets. You may want to scuff them with 220 grit sandpaper and give them a fresh coat of poly (not water based) or Lacquer depending on the original finish.
January 27, 2013 at 8:51AM   
kristheot
I think your cabinets are charming. The curvy trim and the black hardware are part of the look. I would suggest you go to the blog retrorenovation.com and search for knotty pine kitchens. You will get a lot of ideas for colors, window treatments, and more.
I have a cabin with lots of knotty pine paneling. We found that soft shades of turquoise and seafoam green look wonderful with the pine, with some dark red as an accent. I think your bookshelf would look great painted dark red, against an aqua wall.
January 27, 2013 at 9:50AM     
jbunker29
I had brick on one side of my kitchen and was hesitant for years to paint it. When I finally did, I was very happy with it. Painted it navajo white.
January 27, 2013 at 10:19AM   
Lynne Forrestal
I had the exact same brick, with black mortar half way up the wall in the dining area of my kitchen, I added a narrow shelf to mimic a mantel for years... just took it down two weeks ago. Now have drywall... really made the space feel larger... If you like the brick, or can't change that, do you like the brick and the mortar color? if the mortar was lighter color, that may help too... they have grout paint sticks for sale, perhaps that would work on the mortar lines... a medium gray color perhaps. or beige tone?
January 27, 2013 at 10:25AM   
marewalker7
I agree. Just removing the the scalloped edge will change the feeling of the room. Easy fix.
January 27, 2013 at 10:29AM   
marewalker7
Painting the brick back splash was one of the best things I did for my kitchen.
January 27, 2013 at 10:38AM   
Genevieve
Sorry but I disagree! if the trim is removed it will take away the character of the cupboards . why are you so keen to paint natural wood makes me wonder . I have to agree with the husband on this one and let the natural beauty of the wood show it self and continue to give warmth to this kitchen . I'm not a fan of bricks in the kitchen especcially behind the stove ,thereofere I would paint them or if budget permits remove them and have tiles installed behing the stove instead .
January 27, 2013 at 10:38AM     
Virginia C
We've repainted two kitchens and used Valspar Kabuki Clay (3003-8C) It is a very, very pale yellow that is warm in winter and cool in summer. Goes well with red, blue, and green accents. Get a sample and paint an area.
January 27, 2013 at 10:58AM   
Susanna
Just a thought for you as a compromise. When my new cabinets arrived for my kitchen, I had the old ones installed in the laundry room. Mine were not sentimental but it allowed me to update two rooms for the price of one. Do you have a room that would be improved by storage? An office (his would be ideal if he has one) a craft room, laundry area, garage storage, etc.

I live with some antique furniture from my husband's family. It helps if you can find new creative uses. Kitchen cabinets are just cabinets. They can be used anywhere.
January 27, 2013 at 11:33AM     
PRO
Alternascapes
I'd lose the bricks, but I'd totally keep the knotty pine and go with a completely retro look, maybe coral or turquoise accent colors. Add lighting and thoroughly clean the cabinets to brighten it up. Try boomerang laminate countertops. And, heavens, girl, get thee to retrorenovation.com!!
January 27, 2013 at 11:43AM     
mamachers
If you are the main one in the kitchen on a daily basis, do what you want with the cupboards. I personally would paint them white. It would so brighten up the kitchen, then put your fav color on walls.
January 27, 2013 at 11:45AM     
PRO
BERTRAMS
Here's an idea in a totally different direction..... Norwegian rosemal'ing or Black Forest bauernmalerei:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zakopaneinthesierras/8340289065/in/photostream

The artist is a woman by the name of Cathy Koball in Grand Meadow, MN. She is relatively inexpensive when you consider the quality of her work and the cost of replacing cabinets. We sent the doors to Cathy, she painted them and sent them back to us. I would change the 50's hardware as well....
January 27, 2013 at 12:19PM   
Patti Wilson
after reading all the comments. I wonder if grandma would want an IKEA kitchen today? with a convection oven, subzero refrigerator, etc etc.Grandma's phone didn't take photos either, have your hubby use one like hers with a cord attached to it....just sayin
January 27, 2013 at 12:21PM     
PRO
BERTRAMS
Cathy Koball's work...
January 27, 2013 at 12:21PM     
PRO
BERTRAMS
More of Cathy's stuff....
January 27, 2013 at 12:30PM     
hr01
I would change handles not hinges , tile where brick is or white wash, and put in a modern counter top_ new granite or a good fake granite laminate if thats all you can afford. ps I didnt read other peoples posts on here thats what i would do, also paint a modern color on walls, under mount sink, it's all about what u can afford , i do it on the inexpensive or the cheap that's me
January 27, 2013 at 12:33PM   
PRO
BERTRAMS
Rustic, real wood (reclaimed TEAK) cabinets with Italian tumbled backsplash and rosemal'ed doors (two upper doors still being painted)....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zakopaneinthesierras/8341365042/in/photostream
January 27, 2013 at 12:35PM   
1mysticdesigner
I agree with your husband: the wood cabinets should not be painted. However the colors of the brick and the finish on the wood cabinets clash both in style and tradition. There is nothing wrong with either but put together they create dissonance instead of harmony. You can honor your husbands sentimental attachment to the cabinets by simply stripping the shiny urethane coat from them. It does not serve the nature of this pine well nor the design of the cabinetry. Using a lime wash on the wood work and white washing the brick with a light colored stain or dye made specifically for stone and concrete would celebrate the down to earth nature of these two materials and allow you to have a country provincial style. The photo's that you submitted show the space as outdated and tired. We never have to live with the decisions and choices made in the past - particularly if the outcome looks dissonant. When it comes to choosing the wall color decide what colors you enjoy most. Go to a paint store and bring home a fist full of color samples, the larger the better. Then tape them to the walls to be painted and observe how each color responds to the changing light. If the color you love turns out to be too dark then have the paint store mix a lighter version of it. Colors are profoundly personal. They always need to be what stimulates and inspires us. With the current finish of your cabinets and the very dark brick you will have a difficult time with almost any color you pick. The kitchen will not feel cozy because the two primary materials are at odds with one another.
January 27, 2013 at 12:38PM     
darleneellen
Painting the cabinets does not change the fact that they were your husband's grandmother's. I would paint those suckers white/cream! And I would also paint the brick the same color but sort of "white-wash" it so some of the original color shows through. I would pick up a neutral color from the countertops for the walls and lose the window treatment--replace it with something a little more contempory to offset the vintage look of the cabinets. I would keep the trim and the hardware--the black picks up the other cabinet. I would add some kind of stationary shelf in that opening where the light and "blue thing" are and set your toaster oven there to give you a little more counter space.
January 27, 2013 at 1:01PM     
tjrenno1
Ok...I can appreciate the sentimentality of your husband. So with that in mind I would try to encourage him to at least do some updating to the cabinets. . I agree with many others to change out the hardware, and to paint the brick, and the walls, those three things alone would update the room incredibly. I realize as well that you were originally only asking for help with your paint color and i apologize for my suggesting all these other changes but i do think, if you spend a lot of time cooking in there and it is mostly your own space, you want to enjoy living in the space you are in. so, I might also suggest that the cut out decoration under the cabinets be taken off, this would at least make it look more like your kitchen and not your husbands grandmothers kitchen (I am not saying that's a bad thing, but it would really update things for you without changing completely his emotional attachment). I have not read all the other comments but while skimming through I did notice others suggest the removal of that cut out piece on the cabinets as well. I am including a photo or two of cabinets similar to yours for you to see how the hardware can really change the look. The photos do not depict the color choice, just as an example of hardware. Now to get to your original question, color...I noticed your island is a very nice updated island and was a wonderful choice. Might I suggest staying light on your brick color (I agree with others that if its fake, remove it, otherwise paint it). Your trim appears to be white, if it is a semi gloss white I would go with an egg shell white on the walls. Semi gloss on the trim and egg shell on the walls really changes the look of the space, even if the colors are both white. Then if you paint your ceiling (which i suggest you do, yours is too dark) paint it in the semi gloss white as well, that way the light bounces throughout the room. I know you might be thinking that white is boring, but To me there is nothing like a crisp light and bright kitchen. I would suggest adding color with your accessories and if you wanted to, you could change the color of your island, although I really like the color it is as long as that color is going through the room in other areas, which by your photos seems to be the case.
January 27, 2013 at 1:19PM     
garydean
I would remove hardware and trim; prime and pick a neutrel color to paint cabinets. Remove brick.
January 27, 2013 at 1:20PM   
Patricia Dimmick
What about a pickled finish ,or light wash .It would still show all the beautiful wood grain but lighten the room
January 27, 2013 at 1:29PM     
PRO
Ann Alderson
I'm in the blue-sy camp. It's a complimentary color with the orangy cabinets, as you can see from the little blue shelf you already have. Gray-green is not the way to go in this kitchen! I suggest SW-6464, Aloe. It's being featured as a "new" color for 2013 by Sherwin-Williams and it really is beautiful and just what your kitchen needs for a fresh, new feeling. If you can paint the brick backsplash, even better, but not necessary. Do remove the curly wood trim and take down the cafe curtain. Good luck!
January 27, 2013 at 1:31PM     
PRO
Karina Adams Design
Check out this website http://knottyisnice.com/
January 27, 2013 at 2:08PM     
January 27, 2013 at 2:12PM     
garydean
You could take off hardware, trim and just put on a clear sealer and new hardware....
January 27, 2013 at 2:20PM   
sstarr
The bricks look like the fake kind that used to be stuck on as a backsplash. Are they? If so, you can chip them off, but the mastic is pretty tough to remove. Then you could replace the backsplash with some pretty tiles. As for the cabinets, I would remove all of the edge trim, and put a whitewash finish on them. This should not cover all of the knottiness of the pine, just remove the yellow tone. I would take off the hardware before whitewashing and put it back after (leaving the hardware black). Remove the valance and venetian blinds, replace with a simple Roman shade or white shutters. Remove the bookshelf holding preserves. Remove all the decorative objects from the room and start over with just a few items. I like your cast iron trivets, but I would group them on the wall (where the preserves are now, a little higher on the wall.
January 27, 2013 at 2:24PM     
PRO
BERTRAMS
"Back in the Day".... the brand was called "Z Brick".... and yes it can usually be scraped off, but be careful not to damage the underlayment... whatever that might be....

Also looks like, from your original photo that a microwave might install up into that cabinet alcove.
January 27, 2013 at 2:30PM   
Elizabeth Sell
I also had "Z-Brick" all over my 1969 kitchen. By painting it the same color of the other walls it made a TON of difference. Trust me, paint the brick.
January 27, 2013 at 2:44PM     
tjrenno1
Wow kareliada that knotty is nice web site was a fabulous suggestion! They really had some great kitchens etc, that people had modernized...that was fun for even me to see...thanks!
January 27, 2013 at 2:54PM     
Lynne Forrestal
My Z brick was on drywall, so we had to remove the drywall too.. but it wouldn't take much to replace the drywall then tile over that.... or I ve seen in the stores recently, tile panels... that install easily, there are many to choose from , glass tiles, metal tiles, sheets of metals, etc. go window shopping for ideas
January 27, 2013 at 3:40PM   
PRO
BERTRAMS
I saw sheets of glass tiles at Costco recently... at prices significantly reduced from the local tile and even Big Box home improvement outlets.
January 27, 2013 at 4:06PM   
veggieerp
I started with a similar kitchen except instead of knotty pine I have oak cabinets. I even had the same laminate butcher block counter tops. I wanted an overhual on the cheap. We used Rustoleum cabinet transformations, it comes in a zillion colors and runs $120 for the large kit. I used linen which turned out much whiter than I had wanted. I would have used quilter's white which is a very pretty ivory if I could do it over again. I switched out the antique brass hardware with brushed nickel. To cover the old laminate, we used Giani granite counter paint. I don't think it looks like granite per se but it is leaps and bounds better than fake wood and it's only $70. Lastly we painted the walls Aloof gray by Ben Moore but did so before doing the counters, it has green undertones. I'm now going to redo the walls with Ben Moore Misty gray which will look better with the counter top color; it has a blue undertone. Painting the walls and cabinets were the best things we did. My kitchen looks so bright and modern all for less than $500. Here are some before and after shots once we were doing the counters. Hope it give you some ideas, since the combinations are endless.
January 27, 2013 at 4:24PM     
amllmom
you need to be 'specific' with what you are willing to do. everyones comments are for nothing if you only can paint the walls. my kitchen has maple cabinets & my counters are quartz but still in the same color/tone you have. my walls are the green shown to you in one of the first comments. looks great & would probably compliment your red brick. i too would paint the brick just because it seems your kitchen needs to be brightened up. The cabinets are personal preference & can be a PROJECT if you're not up for it. Make sure you try diff color paint samples on the walls before buying a full gallon of any paint. I've had my kitchen in brick, rusty orange & now the green. Each one looked fine but the light green helped brighten the room the best! I've even had friends ask for the paint color so they could paint their kitchens or dining rooms. That's a true compliment.
January 27, 2013 at 4:24PM   
martine81684
I had this kitchen in my old house ... An entire kitchen and adjacent den of knotty pine. I painted the cabinets a soft, creamy white, then painted the paneled walls and brick a warm toffee color. Knotty pine is fun to look at, once in a while. But a steady diet of orange brick and knotty pine gets exhausting.

used oil based paint on the cabinets, inside and out. It was an exhausting project. The sanding wasn't bad, but the painting, often while crouched in an awkward position, took forever because it was hard to paint for long periods of time in one session.

My advice is keep the cabinets neutral, and use your favorite color on the walls. Even that brick is easier to repaint than the cabinets. In our southern town, many of the old brick homes had been
painted and looked elegant that way.

Now for the good news/bad news. the bad news was that due to a sudden job change I only got to enjoy the new kitchen for two months. The good news? I had two full price offers the first day the house listed, no doubt due to my diligence in painting those knotty pine cabinets.
January 27, 2013 at 4:49PM     
corinneingrum
I would paint brick white and cabinets a light grayish color. I love that you want to keep your current cabinets. I too would remove the decorative part at bottom, they will then look like brand new cabinets. Good Luck!
January 27, 2013 at 6:03PM   
PRO
Urbana ~ Designer Ellen Crystal
the cabinets are not so much the problem as the counters & back splash and possibly flooring clash and take away from the charm rather than enhancing it.. refreshing these items will make all the difference. Improve the lighting as well. Even though they are an older style, at least they are a wood cabinet & have a personality. changing hinges will require serious patching (not recommended) Handles/knobs I would reserve until all the other items mentioned are addressed. The suggestion of Rosemailing would be charming too. Work with the atmosphere rather than stripping it all down in the guise of modernizing. Perhaps in a different house or in a few years that may be your option. the suggestion of a stain or glaze on the cabinets would preserve the peace with your husband & yet refresh.I'm not an advocate of just throwing everything out, if it is still functional & can be refreshed with careful material selection to enhance what you already have.
Ellen Crystal~senior designer ~ Urbana Kitchens.
January 27, 2013 at 7:00PM     
ackees
try silver fox by benjamin moore for the cabinets. I dont think the brick is a real brick appears to be a brick tile. if so change them out to a lighter color. If they are real brick then paint them white. The counter top also has to be changed out.
January 27, 2013 at 7:09PM   
rmhulten
I recently updated our kitchen by painting our out dated honey oak cabinets using an natural white oil base paint from Sherwin Williams and antiqued over that using a dark minwax polyshades. My husband was reluctant at first too painting over wood but absolutely loves our new kitchen now. As you can see he helped me with building the upper cabinets with the glass doors and lighting. We had the floors sanded and restained, granite put in our island enlarged and I did the backsplash (first time ever doing tile work) We both marvel almost daily at our new DYI kitchen, alot of work but worth it. Don't be afraid to be adventuresome!
January 27, 2013 at 8:06PM     
PRO
Mad About Your House
I would paint the bricks in a chalky white color which looks great with the wooden cupboards. Change the handles and hinges (if you can) to something with a more industrial metal feel and I think it will look fantastic. I have made an idea book on industrial style if you want to have a look.
January 27, 2013 at 11:46PM   
Tammy Tucker
I like everyone comments. I have got a lot of ideas. Under the nook what do you think about a framed chalk board. Will paint the bricks chalky white.
January 28, 2013 at 5:40AM     
tjrenno1
Chalk board could be cute!
January 28, 2013 at 6:02AM   
tjrenno1
A picture of a chalkboard on white washed brick...so cute for your kitchen redo. Your husbands grandmother would love it!
January 28, 2013 at 6:06AM     
Lawrence
wow - your kitchen is 'too busy' and all the elements are 'in competition'. please, no green paint, your guests will get sea sick. i also have a knotty pine kitchen & i used a 'super white gloss epoxy paint'. it looks great! i always feel, when in doubt, use white. in your case, what is the wall material? since the brick will surely need 3 coats if painted, you could use a flat white on everything you want to paint & consider it a primer, & that way you can more easily 'spot test' other colors. in my case, i was lucky to have a big, white porcelain sink & white counter tops, i bought all white appliances, and special white fixtures for the sink. i installed a 'commercial grade' - 'slightly peach color carpet' that complements the cabinets. the knotty pine comes thru as the major decorative element, and everything else is unified with the white & touch of peach. p.s. - i like the white washed brick in the tj renno photo.
January 28, 2013 at 8:31AM     
2n3designers
Your kitchen has potential! I came across your post while searching Houzz and I have to offer you my professional services. We can help you select the correct colors you need for your kitchen. Purchase our color consultation package to get started.. and it's $50 off till the end of January making the package only $75. Get professional interior design completely online at http://www.store.twoandthreedesigners.com. Thanks, Shannin
January 28, 2013 at 11:27AM   
PRO
Vikrant Sharma Homez
Came across your post we will help you select the best colors for your kitchen ,and its only $30 for the entire E-Consultation and over skype , email us at vikrantsharmahomez@gmail.com
January 28, 2013 at 12:24PM   
dbaune
Try Sherwin Williams Macadamia. Paint the bricks. I did so in my kitchen (a 103 year old home), and it looks great. (If the brick is real, be sure to use masonry primer as your first coat, and ask them to give you a half tint.
January 28, 2013 at 12:29PM   
popeyefur
the worst thing about the kitchen is the swirly detailing under the cabinets and the dated hinges. if you could use a jigsaw and a sander to get rid of the curly stuff and replace the hinges and hardware it would be an instant update
January 28, 2013 at 1:07PM   
carbroad
Love the blue of the adjacent room, I would go with a lighter shade and accent with the reds you already have. Paint the walls & brick all the same to clean it up. Keep all your black iron pieces together to make more of a statement maybe on the wall above your stove. Maybe paint your island the red suggested by dreamcatcher. It's a very cozy kitchen!
January 28, 2013 at 4:28PM   
hockey29
Light blue, like that little shelf there.
January 28, 2013 at 5:15PM   
lesleyvincenti
ooh the chalky white brick will look great! good luck and definitely post the "post" pics!
January 28, 2013 at 5:25PM   
PRO
AC Custom Upholstery
Sometimes you just have to make concessions. Trying to keep both happy, can work. I would leave the cabinets alone, change the hardware to update,maybe polished nickel, or oil rubbed bronze, whatever goes with appliances. The butter yellow color suggested by others would be beautiful. I live in a log home, and painted all my cabinets man cave grey, but I added a buttery yellow island. It is beautiful. I would probably leave the brick alone, because after they are painted, it all high maintenance from there. They actually add a lot of character. At the end of the day, you are the one who has to spend the most time in your kitchen. Figure out what colors make you happy, and go from there. You can always brighten it up with little touches of another color, no matter what your choices are in the redo. Best wishes, and remember your family happiness is the most important, the rest is just details.
January 28, 2013 at 6:01PM     
Tammy Tucker
Thanks everyone. I will post pictures later. This will prob. Be a month or so. Changing up some but leaving some. I will take from your comment to redo my kitchen.
January 29, 2013 at 4:01AM   
Tammy Tucker
Oh, I'm recovering my bar stools. I'm using the soft gray green color on walls. Painting the island cream color. Thinking of painting the wooden bar stool legs in the red that someone suggested. Thinking of something with red in the fabric. Any suggestions.
January 29, 2013 at 4:12AM   
Jody Feltz Kowalewicz
I painted my cabinets with Rustoleum cabinet transformation kit I got at Home Depot. My husband was not crazy about the idea of going over solid oak but I have a large kitchen and new was to $$$$. Maybe look into just buying replacement doors. I would keep the original brick and paint the walls a greyish blue. Maybe cabinet doors with glass inserts.
January 29, 2013 at 4:24AM   
msamsam
I had kitchen cabinets like that and walls were wood too.my hubby loved cabinets/walls and now he wont say it to me but i know he likes the new look :). I love to cook but I hated it, to come in kitchen. Didnt want to do big kitchen redo..at time we had baby and didnt want to spend $...So I just painted cabinets white and walls cream (honey tea)..now I love it... I do need to get new appliances at one point ... since i got lil kiddos i cant make up my mind white or stainless... I dont know how to load pix on here otherwise I would before and after...good luck
January 29, 2013 at 5:00AM   
Tracy Taylor
If you must keep vs paint the actual cabinets I say whitewash the brick, paint the walls a creamy white to match and paint the ceiling a really great pattern of;the red and white like this http://www.housebeautiful.com/decorating/colors/green-decorating-ideas-photos-0211#slide-3 and take doors off somewhere you can use and open shelf and add a pop of red inside similar to this http://www.housebeautiful.com/decorating/colors/green-decorating-ideas-photos-0211#slide-3 Sorry pictures are green, but I envisioned red!
January 29, 2013 at 6:02AM     
Kathy Ellis
This is my before and after kitchen. All done with paint. We hated the brick on the wall but it would have been a major remodel job to tear it out, so I painted it. I wish the photos were better, but the cabinets are a subtle wash of bules and grays with a wood color glaze on top for warmth, what an improvement!
January 29, 2013 at 6:34AM     
kady5
Kathy, that looks wonderful! ....and I don't know how you thought of using the wash of blues, grays with a wood color glaze....you must be very artistically talented. The finish looks better than those you can purchase :0)).
January 29, 2013 at 6:40AM     
PRO
Budget My Build
Perhaps a darker glaze for the cabinets and replacing the countertops with gratin. Painting the brinks a dark red would look lovely too. Consider your budget for these ideas. Here is a good place to help you figure the costs http://budgetmybuild.co/
January 29, 2013 at 9:58AM   
PRO
BERTRAMS
Kitchen doors done in Norwegian rosemal'ing (folk painting in Hallingdal motif) in oil over wood by Cathy Koball of Grand Meadow, Minnesota.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zakopaneinthesierras/page1/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zakopaneinthesierras/8340289065/in/photostream

January 29, 2013 at 2:53PM     
swickbb
After hemming and hawing for three years I finally painted a room full of paneled tongue and groove wood wall. And painted the brick a white. What an update. Guess what? No one noticed. So choose whatever color makes you happy. One other thought - if your Granddaughter had your house years from now would you want her to keep your kitchen the way it is or would you want her to make it her own?
January 29, 2013 at 3:07PM     
Kathy Ellis
Thank you Kady5. I am actually a pro interior decorative painter. I have painted so many outdated kitchen cabinets, the possibilities are endless. I have run across so many men afraid of painting over wood, but it always turns out lovely, updated, and the exact look the family wants. Make your home your own, not some person from your past. Traditionally a LOT of wood furniture and cabinets were painted, since many of these pieces were made of softer woods, they have not survived through the years. The idea that if it has a wood grain it should not be "ruined" with paint is a modern concept that is kind of silly. If you have fabulous wood by all means take care of it, but most isn't, and painting it will update your space and save you thousands of dollars over new cabinets. Here is another before and after and I will say no more!
January 30, 2013 at 5:03AM     
PRO
Coastal Enterprise
I have friends who stripped and bleached their knotty pine. It is beautiful. Remove the curved edging for an updated look.
January 30, 2013 at 8:47AM     
swewer
Paint the cabinets. And while you are at it, change out the knobs and hardware with brushed nickel. People are often overly sentimental when it comes to Granny. In this case, Granny would have painted the cabinets in a soft lighter color in the New Millenium. If your hubby has a problem with it, tell him to call me.
January 30, 2013 at 9:11AM     
shirleybird
You have a ton of recommendations here and honestly I did not read through them all. With that said, I have almost the identical cabinets in my kitchen and for various reasons I don't want to paint them either. They are in great shape for being about 50 years old. I already did change the knobs out. They had this black round back plate on the knobs which i couldn't take off without sanding the cabinets because you could see the ring on the wood surface. However I did take them off as well as the hinges and spray painted them ORB and replaced the knobs with a square nickel knob. If I were you I would replace the counter top with a white counter and paint the brick . My counters are a white fermica with tan veins. I am actually on the process of painting the kitchen to Sherwin Williams Balmy with pure white trim. I also will make a valance for the window with a blue toile. Keep the open cubard. The black will tie in the cabinet hardware. BTW, if you don't want to replace the counter tops they do have a product out now (can't ember who makes it) that you can "paint" on to update the counter.
January 30, 2013 at 9:43AM   
bethperson
The cabinets-- 1940s or 1950s knotty pine with scalloped trim & olde tyme hardware-- are very sweet and homey, and are what give the kitchen its character. I'd keep them as they are. I live with a kitchen that probably had similar cabinets, but a previous owner stripped off the trim & hardware-- they are just flat, boring cabinet boxes now, no character at all! And the older cabinets are much, much higher quality wood than is available now.

The room seems very dark-- I'd suggest painting the brick with a light color-- maybe a soft, light grey-blue, to contrast with the warm honey color of the cabinetry & wood floor. Walls and the black spice cabinet/ shelf could continue the light grey-blue. Lights under the cabinets would help, too. When the opportunity presents itself, I'd suggest getting appliances that are white or cream rather than black-- black appliances function like big black holes and visually interrupt the flow. When possible, consider replacing the countertop with a soft, light grey-- caesarstone or similar-- or there are lots of good lookalikes now, even Formica. Have fun!

It just occurred to me to mention that wood grain cabinets are handy at hiding smudges and fingerprints-- much better than paint in a solid color.

I'm an architectural historian by training & profession. While I'm a firm believer that NOT everything should be preserved, I also try to observe carefully what's best about a design and is worth keeping, and what tells the story of an earlier period or taste. Knotty pine conveys a charming love & appreciation that people in the 1940s- 1950s had for America's past-- a little Davy Crocket, a little Mr Ed, a little Gunsmoke, to use popular TV shows as examples. Too often I see houses or commercial buildings (both interiors and exteriors) where current owners or tenants have stripped off the design features that gave the place some distinction, and the end result is neither good period architecture, nor good contemporary architecture. It's a shame. My suggestion is to embrace the knotty pine and enhance it, and have fun!

Fun fact: this style of hinge, shaped like the letters H L, is sometimes referred to as a "Holy Lord" hinge!
February 2, 2013 at 6:52PM     
tomjones44
Your cabinet hardware was the first thing my eyes were drawn to. The cabinets are beautiful and I wouldn't paint them. they have darkened with age and look dreary & too dark. I would strip them of all varnish and bleach them for a lighter color, then revarnish in a 100% clear. Your current hardware would be great then and your Husband would still be happy.
February 3, 2013 at 8:29AM     
pearldiver
I would save the cabinets too. Primarily because I try not to consume the world's resources for no good reason and I like the challenge of making things look good on a budget! PLUS, These cabinets are basically very lovely but are being overwhelmed by busy-ness.
First things that come to mind:
-- Neutralize that brick with paint or remove it. (I inherited 'fake brick' in a house. As I recall, it was not easy to remove. If you want a quick fix, it improves a great deal if painted -- in this case, in a neutral.)
-- Consider getting rid of the scallops. If you cannot or do not want to, simplify the rest of the space so that the scallops look vintage and not fussy.
-- Replace those wild west (!) hinges and handles with something very very simple or if that is not possible, see if painting them a color that is closer to the wood color would calm them down. Too much going on there.
-- Find a (NON wood grain) counter top that loves the cabinets.
-- De-clutter.
-- I like that you have color on the ceiling. Looks kind of dark celery? Perhaps bring a very pale shade of that to the walls?
-- In general, get rid of extras, including the valence over the sink, fruit on wall, and whatever is hanging from the ceiling. This space needs to calm down! (ex: wood grain on floor, different wood grain on counter, yet another in cabinets.)
February 3, 2013 at 8:44AM   
grammie50
Remove the scalloped bottom trim, change out the hardware, add some decorative molding to the cabinet fronts, since they are a little plain, paint the brick and replace the valance with some plaid or checks in a vibrant color. Hang a nice decorative plaque, framed print, or a sign where the blue shelf is and de-clutter the counter top.
February 3, 2013 at 9:10AM   
karajomartin
I cannot tell you how much we love Annie Sloan Chalk paint for our cabinets. I was a firm believer in the thinking that painting cabinets was ALWAYS a bad idea, especially if you have children. We tackled this project about a year ago in my son's house and have been so pleased with the durability of it. Now, it is labor intensive with putting several coats of paint on and then several coats of wax but the finish is almost factory, no kidding. I ended up buying a small orbital sander/buffer to help with the wax process that made the job a lot easier. There are a variety of colors and you can mix the colors to make your own, if needed. I'm so pleased with it I'm trying to find other pieces that I can paint! There is no comparrison in what you will spend in buying the paint and wax vs replacing the cabinets.
February 3, 2013 at 10:31AM     
PRO
pef64
Our decorator decided to leave the top our our cabinets natural, the bottom cabinets and hutch painted with Sherwin-Williams Prairie Grass, and the island in Sherwin Williams Silver Mist. Prairie Grass was carried into open concept living room fire place book shelves. All the colors tie back into our slate floor. Truly amazing colors together. Don't be afraid to jump into colors. It is invigorating.
February 3, 2013 at 10:47AM   
Stephen Wesley
I really don't think the bricks are real either. They need to go and you can pick another backsplash, maybe an off white subway tile or something without texture. Sawing off the wavy molding is an option but you could also attach a more simple moulding over it. I think cabinets look better with a trim under them. And don't listen to your husband about decorating! Respect his opinion but unless he is a professional designer suggest that he give you a chance to change the kitchen you do so much work in everyday. He can design his office without your input. Ha ha.
February 3, 2013 at 11:39AM   
judygilpin
Haven't the time to read all 139 comments, so don't know if this has been commented on. Those cabinets are knotty pine. If you paint over them, the knots are still going to show. I assume you're keeping them due to a budget issue. If so, and you can't replace or resurface, I'd take all the upper cabinet doors off and have an open shelf concept. Paint the lower cabinets a dark color so the knots don't show as much. The cabinets and hardware are dated to the 30's & 40's. Unless you like the "hunter lodge" style and want to keep that look, don't do anything and save up until you can do it right in the design you desire. Get rid of the brick.
February 3, 2013 at 12:06PM   
designgirl178
At the very least I would take some doors off and paint the interior a nice bright or light color and use the cabinet boxes as open shelving. I agree, I would paint the cabinets, if hubby likes them he can hang them in the garage and buy you some new ones ;-)
February 3, 2013 at 6:32PM   
Jenny Wedin
I would use a mid range yellow to brighten the room up. I would also recommend turquoise accents (fruit bowl, canisters, etc) for a "mood" lift. Good idea, keeping the brick as is :)
February 3, 2013 at 7:51PM   
Dawn Taillon
We are just redoing our new home's kitchen. Husband was the same way about the real Oak cabinets and wanted the wood grain and liked them just the way they were. He was very frustrated through the process of me painting the wood though he gave in and helped pick the colors.

Today he came home from installing the cabinets and said he had to say he was in love with the choices we made and said it really did just go perfectly with the rest of what we were doing in the house and how it made it look new and updated and very affordable.

Make the leap. The cabinet wood is still there and is quality. I agree the faux brick is yucky that color. Really dated. I don't know what kinds of pictures you save of kitchens in your ideabooks but I doubt it has that brick in that color. With paint they could be sort of like subway tiles, if painted a high gloss paint.

If you guys still want rustic and to see the grain, there are still stains in colors or gray washed, or white/cream washed that would still work and maybe hubby would like it. I liked the lime washed suggestion too. Depends on what you like and what goes with the rest of what you are going for in the home.
February 3, 2013 at 8:26PM   
leelee
OK, definitely leave the cabinets alone-you've already sanded them & fixed the hinges. When I look at the pics several things jump out. 1) You need new counter tops--granite or slate 2) Paint the brick probably to match the walls 3) I'd cover the long florescent light over the sink by raising the curtain up under the overhang using a pale color on a flat panel so the whole curtain would be lit from behind. Try it running the whole length of the top cabinets to see if that balances better. Attach rod or just a wire to back under side of overhang and shorten curtain to allow more natural light. You could also try a very short curtain to hide the other florescent light. 4) The folding door to the right of the black shelves needs to be replaced maybe just a curtain to compliment the one over the sink. 5) New sink & faucets. This is a very cute place and will look fantastic. Also, remove the stuff hanging on the walls esp. around the black case. Center the black shelves on the wall & put a LIVE green plant or vine on top shelves add a nice framed picture in good muted colors like Vincent Van Gogh used. Several have commented to remove the curved pieces on the cabinet bottoms ( I'd normally agree esp. if house was of another era but I think it works here)
February 4, 2013 at 7:35AM   
pearldiver
just a thought-- skip the granite. With apologies to many, I call granite counter tops a "yuppie social disease!" Just imagine the energy footprint that quarrying and hauling granite requires. Let's all get over ourselves and find GREEN options.
February 4, 2013 at 2:02PM   
Genevieve
pearldiver Granite is a natural product you cannot go any more natural then that , what mother earth gives us is ours to use if we can afford it , granite is expensive I agree I will give you that one , but if you want to go green then either use stone or wood , http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granite
February 4, 2013 at 2:20PM     
zsuzsikam
Your cabinets have vintage interest and will still have that cottage feel to it if you painted them white. The bricks are distracting and seem to swallow any light that comes into the room. I would also paint the brick white if you aren't able to take them out and put something else in for a backsplash. As far as wall color, a pale greenish gray would be complimentary with your red toile window treatment. Just these two colors would completely change the personality of your kitchen without being a huge cost. The cabinets would still be your husband's grandmother's only updated with paint. (We aren't meant to live in the same way as 50 or 60 years ago as far as style is concerned.) The white would reflect the sunlight and bring a whole lot of brightness to the room. Good luck with your choices.
February 4, 2013 at 7:02PM   
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Painting wooded cabinets like fixing ruined antiques takes the value down considerably.

The hardware is out of date. SO, if that is changed. The wood will due just maybe clean it. See, how below. There's still knotty wood in that stain option being sold today and it's not cheap.

Paint the wall a very light but contrasting color. The photos that were included and even in yours somewhere is something that looks nice with the orange wood stain - all have the photos have these colors in common. Whites, greys, blues and greens. I'd look for a off white, light blue grey. The paper towel holder looks like it is darker color but tint it grey and lighten it just a tiny bit. Mountain air might be nice. http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/
Click on any color at that link and it will open up. And it breaks down red, green, blue used to get that color. (That matters to some)
Also, there's peel and stick tile that goes over brick. I suppose shopping around a bit on the paint and tile and hardware would keep it in a nice low budget and really make a huge transformation.

Clean the wood. This is an option to lighten them every so slightly. Not change or paint.
Clean it with an old terry cloth and mineral spirits. OPEN THE WINDOWS FIRST. Scrub with the terry cloth, changing cloths until you think the cabinet is clean. If it's still not clean enough, get very fine steel wool and denatured alcohol. Again, the stuff is strong, open the windows and wear gloves. Scrub with the alcohol until you get a clean, uniform surface. Do not throw the discarded steel wool in the household trash. Leave it outside in a can of water. It's flammable.
When the cabinets are "clean" see if you like the color. They will be lighter in tone no matter what kind of wood you have. You can then go for a soft oil finish, like Danish oil, or you could put a satin finish of polyurethane, 2 coats.
February 4, 2013 at 7:31PM   
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Wait ...I have a better easier plan then peel and stick tile that does go over brick. What about color the grout on the brick. This is easier and just under budget. I am near certain that had a brick sample on the show where I saw it. http://www.hsn.com/products/grout-shield-color-seal-grout-restoration-kit/6497211?variant=6598761
February 4, 2013 at 7:48PM   
Dawn Taillon
I don't know where you live but where I live, you get more value for updated kitchens, following current trends. Cabinets that are well painted are going to make your kitchen have more value than stained dated kitchens. People will want to remove them and sell them unless your home is a cabin or something where that would be fitting.
There are colored stains too. They will let the grain show through still. Milk Paint, with Carnuba wax is coming back too.
February 5, 2013 at 12:16PM   
Dawn Taillon
I'd gray wash them, to update them and leave hubby with a good compromise, but I'd get rid of the swirls on the bottom of the cabinet that dates them.
February 5, 2013 at 12:17PM   
Marilyn Wilkie
Anyone else tired of hearing "I painted them a soft, creamy white...". Your cabinets are beautiful. Someone probably crafted them specifically for this kitchen. The owners were proud of them and showed their friends. They admired seeing nature made into these beautiful cabinets. I agree with your husband. To paint them or take off the trim which belongs on them would be a crime. Everything comes in and out of fashion. There is nothing wrong with seeing beautiful REAL wood shine through. Paint is for MDF. You cannot get wood like the wood in your cabinets anymore. Remove the z-brick, paint the walls in a bright happy color, upgrade your counters (maybe, but not to granite), and be proud of your cabinets because they are beautiful, natural wood, not fake and cheaply made with a fancy name on them.
February 5, 2013 at 1:19PM     
Marilyn Wilkie
Pearldiver, I could not agree more. Most granite looks like someone upchucked also. Talk about an outdated look. Granite sellers are laughing all the way to the bank.
February 5, 2013 at 1:35PM     
rinqreation
Keep the knotty pine! It's a bit quirky, but charming as it is! Paint the walls (green, yellow, aqua, whatever floats yout boat) and bricks (white) to brighten up the kitchen, perhaps a white countertop to 'calm down' the amount of wood. Here are some nice pictures: (1)http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8xkye6FA81ruu90ro1_500.jpg (2)http://retrorenovation.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/1963-Aqua-kitchen.jpg (3)http://retrorenovation.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/knotty-pine-kitchen-renovation-460.jpg (4)http://www.flickr.com/photos/scenic_wonders/2256305252/
February 5, 2013 at 2:38PM     
Marilyn Wilkie
rinqreation, I love those pictures. Especially the first one, of course. The turquoise appliances are wonderful. Good examples. Those kitchens make me feel comfy and homey, unlike stark modern stainless steel ones do. Maybe that is why men like them. It reminds them of mom's and grandmas making pies. :)
February 5, 2013 at 2:46PM     
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Hi Maryln Wilkie. I am a granite seller. so not true. We don't make any more than other contractor. And the cost to buy another countertop isn't different on percent of increase. We sell 'em, too. And since I open accounts and see the cost and the sell... Maybe you had a bad experience but it was offensive....upchuck! Granite timeless and will always be a classic. Do the research and read reports that are out there. MSRP. MANUFACTURERS suggested retail price. Be mad at them not the person selling it. BTW, there's professionals all over the place.

Want to get mad about an unreal cost to make to cost to sell. PIZZA. It cost 10cents to make an average 12" pie. And the delivery for one? $18 and then $2 for the delivery and that's not the tip either. $23 from ten cents??? Some one do the math and tell us that percent of increase is.

No wonder Manning will go from professional Football quarterback to Franchise owner unlike Michael S. went to Kelly Rippa's sidekick talk show host. What Manning didn't have connections to go into TV?

And The Sharks...what's the first thing they ask? What did you sell? How much for one and what was the cost to make it? And what do they reply? I bet I can get that down on cost to make.
What's the point? What on this planet is not about making money?

"The granite guy laughs to the bank" Wilkie? Really. right under my comment too. Was it on purpose?
February 5, 2013 at 3:56PM     
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
bethperson. That was so beautiful. I love that you were sincere and your knowledge was perfect. Thanks for sharing that! I am following you now.
February 5, 2013 at 4:31PM   
Marilyn Wilkie
Every thing on here is really opinion. Some granite is attractive to me but most is as I described it - to ME. It would not be appropriate for her kitchen - In My Opinion.
February 5, 2013 at 4:44PM     
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Wilkie. All good. social sites tend to have others not think before open typing (the mouth)
February 5, 2013 at 5:26PM   
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Tammy Tucker. how many cabinets in the room total?
February 5, 2013 at 5:34PM   
Marilyn Wilkie
Mr. Granite...I thought before I spoke and that is what I thought. No apologies here for expressing my opinion.
February 5, 2013 at 7:30PM   
onthefence
Ms. Mechanic - I've been reading this thread but haven't wanted to wade in to the fray. First, I don't know Marilyn. Heck, I don't know if her name really IS Marilyn. Please don't think there is a hidden agenda. There isn't.

I notice that both of your posts were made approx 8 hours ago. I have made MANY posts and when I reload the thread after I've posted I see that one (or many) people before me have had new posts appear that weren't there when I started writing. I have no way of knowing if she had seen your post before she wrote. But I'm guessing she may not have.

And frankly, even if she did, she's entitled to her opinion.
February 5, 2013 at 9:44PM     
onthefence
You're very welcome Mechanic. Thank you for taking the time to consider it. And you too are entitled to your opinion ;-) All of us are. Pretty grand thing IMO.
February 5, 2013 at 10:02PM   
Darzy
I'm sorry I haven't read all of the posts. But, I would agree with the first buttermilk wall color (including the brick). If your husband wants to keep the cabinets as is (including the hardware..just scrub nicely..they could be copper). I would "compromise" and say if you want to keep the cabinets, I want a to paint the brick (Buttermilk) and install soapstone counters. Soapstone looks fabulous with pine (an updated country look). Here is an alder kitchen with soapstone counter.

February 5, 2013 at 10:21PM     
rinqreation
Opinions.. sigh.. We all got'm. Let's not fill this (or any) discussion with quarreling over them..
February 6, 2013 at 1:32AM     
grammie50
I feel very sorry for Tammy Tucker. She took the time to take photos of her kitchen, post them and ask for opinions and ideas on her kitchen. There are a lot of wonderful and creative ideas on here. She may pick one person's ideas or ideas from many. The point being is she will make the choices in the end. Then you got persons on here saying negative remarks and others whom are offended. Don't spoil this site with your arguing and bickering. It takes one bad apple to spoil the others.
February 6, 2013 at 9:15AM     
Genevieve
grammie50 I agree with you
February 6, 2013 at 9:52AM   
Dawn Taillon
We are all just responding to her request for suggestions. I hope nobody will be offended if she scraps all of ours. We are just playing the game as if it were our own home, but it is not our home or our marriage that will be affected by the outcome. Just enjoy the process and planning together. Take your time. We are just here to cheer you on.
February 6, 2013 at 9:57AM     
Marilyn Wilkie
Haven't heard from her for a while. It's been 8 days folks.
February 6, 2013 at 10:06AM   
PRO
BERTRAMS
Houzz Staff... you should shut this thread down. It was enjoyable and informative until people decided to make it personal. Perhaps just delete some of the latest items and use the thread for what it was intended to do... offer a variety of ideas.
February 6, 2013 at 10:08AM   
Dawn Taillon
If she is not posting she may just be listening or moved on now.
February 6, 2013 at 10:10AM   
Marilyn Wilkie
Well Bertrams, I think she dropped out of it long before the recent comments. Maybe she has decided to just do it her way..which is how she should do it. She only wanted to paint the walls after all, didn't she?
February 6, 2013 at 10:11AM   
Marilyn Wilkie
Right Dawn.
February 6, 2013 at 10:13AM   
Genevieve
The rules are to be respected, I agree I sure hope that this kitchen will have a little bit of each of us in it or it would have been all unvane to help out .
February 6, 2013 at 10:13AM   
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Deleting mine. folks- myself. See my apology above (oh right deleting) ok, just now that I from my side apologized. And learned my lesson. I can't speak for others who don't care about spoiling it. But Maryln Wilkie did we get into after the 8 days since she has been on here? Don't answer. we should stop there.
February 6, 2013 at 12:24PM   
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Houzz staff don't delete the whole thing. There's a lot on here that is amazing.
February 6, 2013 at 12:32PM     
lmckni2
it really is a dark and dreary kitchen. i'm with everyone else and use paints in the white family. i do love the vintage cabinets though. if your husband wants to leave them as they are (and i understand why) then tell him they must be stripped and sanded and new polyethylene applied. wood and finishes darken a lot with age. pine is a light colored wood so a good refinish job would really lighten the room.
February 6, 2013 at 12:43PM   
cocinera
I love love love knotty pine. I love love love the scalloped edge. I love love love the hardware. I love love love retro kitchens. I'm looking for knotty pine cabinets for my kitchen in my 1940's townhouse.

Stainless steel and granite are going to look just as dated as avocado green in a few years. That's the way it goes. It's always on to the next thing. Nothing is timeless.

Definitely pull off that face brick. I pulled off a whole wall of face brick in my living room. It's not that hard.

Then I'd put some kitschy wallpaper on the walls and install formica counter tops. And put a shelf in that alcove and get the toaster oven off the counter!
February 6, 2013 at 12:52PM   
Dawn Taillon
I actually like knotty pine too, but with the honey stain, it dates it. I think if it were natural wood again and poly'd it would look very nice and modernize the country a bit, but honestly beauty IS in the eye of the beholder. That look is still nice in cabins and more rustic decor. I was thinking she was looking for an update but I have no horse in this race.
February 6, 2013 at 3:47PM     
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Curious as to the direct pull to the knotty pine for you? Can you elaborate. And what are your thoughts on the doors in the picture?

Well, I think Granite's done good so far. It is mentioned in throughout the O.T. in Genesis 28
Who knows where it is going long term? And it is found in the N.T even Rev.
Brought 4000yrs from the British coronation rumors have it.
But this is what wickipedia said.

The Red Pyramid of Egypt (c.26th century BC), named for the light crimson hue of its exposed granite surfaces, is the third largest of Egyptian pyramids. Menkaure's Pyramid, likely dating to the same era, was constructed of limestone and granite blocks. The Great Pyramid of Giza (c.2580 BC) contains a huge granite sarcophagus fashioned of "Red Aswan Granite." The mostly ruined Black Pyramid dating from the reign of Amenemhat III once had a polished granite pyramidion or capstone, now on display in the main hall of the Egyptian Museum in Cairo (see Dahshur). Other uses in Ancient Egypt include columns, door lintels, sills, jambs, and wall and floor veneer.[

Buildings

Granite has been extensively used as a dimension stone and as flooring tiles in public and commercial buildings and monuments. Aberdeen in Scotland, which is constructed principally from local granite, is known as "The Granite City". Because of its abundance, granite was commonly used to build foundations for homes in New England. The Granite Railway, America's first railroad, was built to haul granite from the quarries in Quincy, Massachusetts, to the Neponset River in the 1820s........

Curling stones are traditionally fashioned of Ailsa Craig granite. The first stones were made in the 1750s, the original source being Ailsa Craig in Scotland. Because of the particular rarity of the granite, the best stones can cost as much as US$1,500.......
February 6, 2013 at 4:28PM   
Dawn Taillon
TGM are you asking me that question? If so. I think she should paint or get other cabinets but I can't tell her what to do with her husband being so sentimental over them. I have this problem on a thread myself right now with my husband wanting to keep this nutty custom woodland scenery paneling in our new house. Who am I to say what she should do. I would want to update it, if possible.
February 6, 2013 at 7:27PM   
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Anyone who likes that wood. Both... I am a serious "Why" person. I look for solutions. I saw another thread like it, too. Makes me want to sit down and do some renderings to pull in what would work. I saw they were sentimental about the wood but I thought there was a real tight budget, too. It's seems to be a growing trend right now. And some of the time I think it's budget and the men don't want the headache and the other times I think they really really like it. I like it if it's done right. And right to me that means lighten this room up for starters. This kitchen is so so dark and dungeon feeling. I'd have to make it lighter myself. Like paint the brick or change the grout to white. And at least clean the wood the mass amount of oil on that door being in a kitchen. OY! Even that grime off it would lighten the doors.
February 6, 2013 at 7:47PM   
PRO
Gail Elwyn
Paint the brick a light color, remove wood ruffling, new hardware that is rustic to coordinate wood
February 6, 2013 at 8:45PM   
onthefence
Tammy, if you're still checking in, I'm casting my vote as well for the soft buttermilk color. For the valance, I think something in a soft sagey green would be great.

OH - just visited your ideabook. That waverly fabric with the cream background would be perfect for your valance!

Your cabinets absolutely gleam and I agree with many that a light color would brighten your room.
February 6, 2013 at 11:58PM     
Darzy
The cabinets are staying so they should be embraced and left alone in their original charm (including the scroll and hardware). A new counter and light color on the walls/brick (buttercream) and this kitchen will look beautiful. If a new counter isn't in the budget, just painting the walls, ceiling and brick will lighten up and "freshen" the look. Please post after pictures Tammy. :)
February 7, 2013 at 1:40PM     
James Brodeur
Small spaces and small budgets make for challenging projects. Start small and perhaps you can achieve strong results. I would begin by finding a home for all of the counter accroutement. Organized cabinets make as much a strong statement as the oveal facade...so, spend some time there as well. After all that you might be surprised how the ol' hubby might show more readiness to loosen the purse strings...who knows. Too, a good cleaning with Murphy's soap over the wood surfaces, and take down any valance so that you have a clean slate upon which you can try new pieces of material.
One idea for the brick that might work and not throw the area off balance might be to use a light sponging technique over just a few areas of the brick. It could lighten the brick up without taking away that whole rustic look that given your budget your are pretty much forced to work with. But, like I said start small and go with some of my ideas here and I think you might come out looking rustically smart and clean.
February 7, 2013 at 9:56PM   
Tammy Tucker
I've started working on my kitchen. Little at a time. I've taken some suggestion from y'all. Will post pictures as I finished. This is my wall color and shelve in kitchen. New light fixture and bulletin board in kitchen.
February 21, 2013 at 3:48PM     
Tammy Tucker
Got material for curtains today.
February 21, 2013 at 3:49PM   
Lynne Forrestal
Love the wall color, what a big difference... thanks for keeping us updated on your progress! :)
February 21, 2013 at 5:18PM   
Dawn Taillon
Yes thanks. I like the wall color against the light shelves too.
February 21, 2013 at 8:41PM   
onthefence
Wow! I really like that wall color. Even the photo of the new color next to the photo of the cabinets looks great.

I think painting your pantry bookshelf worked well too. Your canned goods really show off now! They look like little lined up pieces of art ;-)
February 21, 2013 at 8:47PM     
14thstreet
It's looking much better already, that gray/green really looks fresh and really nice with your trim color! Can't wait to see more pics of progress when the rest of the room is painted. Did you end up using the SW Techno Gray or another brand?
February 22, 2013 at 12:13PM     
Amy Gignac
taupe color with black or oil rubbed bronze hardware (Home Depot has relatively cheap ones or online perhaps). You could whitewash the brick with white milk paint for a softer effect. It's amazing what paint, hardware and removing some extra clutter does for any home. Best of luck!
February 22, 2013 at 12:36PM   
shawnagoelz
i would paint the walls black to match the knotty pine.
February 22, 2013 at 12:40PM   
onthefence
Tammy - what material did you get for curtains? Is it similar to the Waverly in your ideabook?
February 22, 2013 at 1:38PM   
Tammy Tucker
I will post pictures of the curtains later, I'm having them made.
February 23, 2013 at 2:05PM   
Tammy Tucker
Finished wall
February 23, 2013 at 2:06PM     
Tammy Tucker
I'm painting the cabinet by the stove and the island a cream color like the shelf holding the vegetables. Should be through in 2 weeks, will updated pictures.
February 23, 2013 at 2:09PM   
Tammy Tucker
The color of the wall is sea haze. Someone recommended it. I love it.
February 23, 2013 at 2:10PM     
judygilpin
Too many comments to read them all, but of the photos I've seen of your kitchen.....you have too much stuff on the counters. Get rid of the clutter.
February 23, 2013 at 3:04PM   
Lynne Forrestal
Tammy looking good! Paint does wonders doesn't it!!
February 23, 2013 at 7:33PM   
PRO
Railroadware
Try some railroad hardware such as cabinet pulls, pot and pan holder, paper towel dispenser, wall hooks, lights... from www.Railroadware.com
March 23, 2013 at 7:47AM     
Tammy Tucker
Update on kitchen.
March 26, 2013 at 9:05AM     
Tammy Tucker
Curtains
March 26, 2013 at 9:07AM     
leelee
Looks great! Show more pictures...
March 26, 2013 at 9:41AM     
handymam
Wow, it looks great! Did you leave the upper cabs as wood? I think it will look nice. Trust your heart and go with your own style, it's a good one! :)
March 26, 2013 at 9:58AM   
Tammy Tucker
I did, did the island in the cream color.
March 26, 2013 at 1:50PM     
bksavy
A nice yellowish-green would go perfect with the wood finish of the cabinets and give you a nice light feel in the room.
March 26, 2013 at 2:28PM   
Tammy Tucker
Updated kitchen
March 28, 2013 at 2:09PM     
Tammy Tucker
More pictures
March 28, 2013 at 2:10PM   
Lynne Forrestal
You did a wonderful job Tammy, can you show us an overview photo with the wood cabinets too? :)
March 28, 2013 at 5:37PM   
onthefence
Tammy, you did a beautiful job in here! I feel like I could sit down with you at that island and chat over a cup of coffee or sit and do prep work with you. It feel warm and cozy and bright and cheerful!

You endured thru some *** on this thread and just kept your head down and kept working. The result has paid off beautifully!

And I still say your cabinet with all the home canned goods looks like a work of art!
March 28, 2013 at 5:54PM     
leelee
The only thing I see that I'd want to change is the rug under the island is too bland. Everything else looks fab especially chairs and curtains. Good job.
March 28, 2013 at 7:35PM   
14thstreet
I love the rug, it has nice texture and adds comfort without being the focal point. I love all your color choices, very nice.
March 29, 2013 at 5:57AM   
Tammy Tucker
Thanks everyone for your comments. They were helpful.
March 30, 2013 at 4:58AM   
Torjie Sweeten
Strip and bleach those cabinets
April 8, 2013 at 7:39AM   
mollythecollie
Tammy I love all that you have done! It looks so warm and welcoming. Thank you for tellling us the color that you painted your wall.
April 8, 2013 at 7:55AM   
leelee
These are painted floor cloths. They're coated and waterproof. What if....?
April 8, 2013 at 9:09AM     
PRO
Kitchen Cabinet Kings
We strongly disagree with your husband - it's time to remove/replace those cabinets!

The lay-out does not look very functional, the backsplash height appears to be too low and the knife hinges on the outside of the cabinets are very dated. If you are looking to remodel but on a tight budget, consider looking at online stock cabinet options. You can purchase a new set of kitchen cabinets for just 2,000-5,000. Replacing with new cabinets will give you the type of upgrade you can be proud of, and the new functionality of the kitchen will be a joy to work in.
June 7, 2013 at 6:28AM   
Elizabeth Barnette
Like the buttermilk wall color. You could do white "wash" on those cute cabinets to lighten up without stripping their character.
June 7, 2013 at 8:03AM   
handymam
People, lol! Have you even bothered to read the whole post? She is way beyond the initial post!
June 10, 2013 at 6:13AM     
More Discussions
Pergola transformation!
We are about to sort out this area outside of our kitchen....
marble flooring
My husband really loves marble but I have read that...
Easily cleanable tiny narrow dark corridor
Hi any ideas on colours to lighten up this very narrow...
Tiny bathroom
Need suggestions. 3rd floor bathroom of 100 yr old...
Animal Print bedroom
Hello! I am designing an animal print bedroom for myself....
The content on this page is provided by Houzz and is subject to the Houzz terms of use, copyright and privacy policy.
Copyright claims: contact the Houzz designated agent.