Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Need help with front doors & garage doors
ehtch
January 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Hi! I am changing the garage doors and front doors and am stuck on colours that might go with my brick. I've been told to paint the brick, but am hesitant to do so. I think if I pick the right colours for the doors & garage, I will be able to change the look of the house. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
nicole3806
What color is the roof? I think I would go with a dark brown (I think your roof is brown?)
January 25, 2013 at 11:28AM   
ehtch
The roof is brown. The trim work around windows is the same colour as the doors are presently
January 25, 2013 at 11:31AM   
wmpj
Please don't paint the brick. Your house is beautiful. A tan color may look good. What color are the fascia and gutters?
January 25, 2013 at 11:46AM     
kittt29
I totally agree, don't touch the brick!! I think a lighter color would contrast nicely with it, maybe an off white. Or if you can do a white trim around the windows and doors then black garage doors would look great. Your house is beautiful!
January 25, 2013 at 11:52AM     
ehtch
Thank you! The fascia is a taupe brown as well as the gutters. I've attached a picture of the garage doors I am thinking of going with
January 25, 2013 at 12:02PM   
wmpj
I like the color but I'm not sure about the style.
January 25, 2013 at 12:04PM   
ehtch
I should mention that I am putting a rectangular transom above the front doors so that concrete molding will be replaced with square moldings
January 25, 2013 at 12:08PM   
wmpj
Well if you're doing that, then the style of garage door you chose would look fine. My only other concern would be the other two windows on the second story that have arches.
January 25, 2013 at 3:02PM   
anitajoyce
How about a nice grey color for the doors?
January 25, 2013 at 3:09PM   
jannielee
A medium blue-gray looks lovely with brick, but essentially I think contrast is what the house is lacking now. The brown window trim is dragging the appearance down. Since your gutters are already a light taupe color, I'd use that around all the windows and doors as it will coordinate with the keystones and other stone elements in the architecture. I agree that black doors with some sheen would be beautiful, especially set into light trim. I actually like the stone around the front entrance. Very pretty house.

Maybe consider some urns on either side of the door with evergreens in them and/or a pair of door wreaths that introduce a softer natural element. Exterior lighting of the entrance and existing trees will give a lift in the evening.
January 25, 2013 at 3:49PM     
ehtch
I agree the house lacks contrast and was going to go with a dark stained wood entrance doors. I 'm a little worried that might just add to the drab. The urns on each side is a definite once I get this sorted out!
January 25, 2013 at 4:19PM   
nicole3806
What about stonington (sp?) Sherman Williams it's a beige/ cream/ taupe of sorts
January 26, 2013 at 8:26AM   
bleudancestar
how much
January 26, 2013 at 8:32AM