powered by
Discussions
Photos
Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Long narrow Livingroom/Fireplace not centered.
1patch
January 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Just moved, the room is like a bowling alley. I have tried to put the two love seats to make a conversation area, but the glass door you see leads to a small foyer/front door. I try to use some Feng Shai approaches , and the way it is the fist thing you see is the loveseat, with not much room from door to loveseat.To one side there are built in bookcases. I have tried to put loveseats facing each other, but then it blocks entrance to dinningroom and no room for chair. any furniture you see in the photos and I can get rid of, any suggestions on furniture or a different furniture placement would be wonderful.

The house was built in 1920, with plaster/lath walls. What to do??
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
cypress
Hello 1patch, it seems to me you have to remove one piece of furniture, either the chair or one of the love seats.
January 25, 2013 at 12:28PM     
decoenthusiaste
Not bad. I'd move the armchair to the stairwell/bookcase area for a reading nook, adding the round table and lamp from the far corner to the grouping. "L" the two sofas so one is directly in front of the FP opening and the other perpendicular to the FP. Then anchor the area with an area rug, front feet of the sofas on it - maybe sisal. You need a larger coffee table - glass to help open the space. Clear out the corners of the room and hang drapes, floor to ceiling, flanking the windows and barely covering the frames. Try them in the beige color already working here or match your red with a red and cream stripe, but make sure it is a casual stripe and not too formal. Put the square marble topped table in front of the window where the rad appears to be at the end of the room. Add the upholstered straight chair and a lamp with it. Can't see exactly what else is at the foot of the stairs, but consider simply setting the short curvy wood chair there. Then we'll work on art, accessories and decorating your cabinet and mantel.
January 25, 2013 at 12:32PM     
Jayme H.
Can u angle the sofa where table with 2 smaller chairs are, then put loveseat where sofa is and work the smaller chairs and table in after u see how that looks? Larger chair to go where loveseat is now.
January 25, 2013 at 12:35PM   
aniluap2
Why don't you flank either side of the firePlace with a sofa (perpendicular to the fireplace and turn your coffee table vertically between them and remove the armchair altogether or place it at angle in the corner with the table and remove the smaller chairs.
January 25, 2013 at 12:36PM     
aniluap2
Saw decoenthusiaste response and I really like th placement of the sofas and chair suggested...makes sense. I noticed you have a console table behind one sofa, why not use that with the upholstered chair in front of the window so you won't have to invest in anything except a larger coffee table.
January 25, 2013 at 12:46PM   
1patch
Thank you, will try your suggestions, I also forgot to mention that where the bookcases are, plan to
have built in shelves ust extended in the middle to the ceiling for display. I haven't done anything for drapes, or rug etc. Just trying to get furniture placement. Several suggestions confirm , one need to get a different coffee table , that may help in moveing the loveseats, and using the other stuffed chair away from the loveseats.
Thank you soooooo much.
January 25, 2013 at 12:51PM     
Darzy
Like aniluap said..but a little differently. Put the loveseats facing each other with your coffee table center with the FP. Take the round table/lamp from the corner and put on the right side of the FP by the loveseat. Put the bigger console table with lamp (at the foot of the stairs) under the blank window and put your chair in the corner. (reading nook, and the lamp used is on the console table). Take the sofa table and put it at the foot of the stairs (it's not as wide an won't take as much space). Leave the area empty behind the loveseat. A sisal rug under the coffee table and a pretty round mirror above the FP would look nice. Put the 3 things on the hearth on the mantle and remove everything else small. You will feel more "feng shui" removing most small accessories and "opening" the space when you walk in. (Remove stuff on the bookcases too). Your room will look great!
January 25, 2013 at 12:52PM     
Darzy
PS..make the conversation area "tight". The loveseats pushed close by the hearth.

January 25, 2013 at 12:54PM     
1patch
I love this look, will work Darzy on your suggestions, appreciate all the suggestions. Still have to unpack. What type of coffe table would be better ?
January 25, 2013 at 1:04PM     
Darzy
When you tighten up the arrangement, your coffee table may work just fine.
January 25, 2013 at 1:10PM     
aniluap2
Liked darzy's comments. I believe less is more and a few strong pieces make more of a statement than a bunch of small accessories that do not connect to one another. You have a lot of the basics right and I think it will look very warm when you are done.
January 25, 2013 at 1:11PM     
1patch
Took your advise Darzy and moved the loveseats close to fireplace Please don't look at colors of furniture, just trying to get furniture placement, The sofa table is going out, just look at the round table and chair placements, added the wing back behind loveseats to make a reading area. Plan to have wing back done in a fabric that will blend. Do you have any suggestions with this arrangement? I am open to any suggestions. Where the sofa table is think a solid piece to hold hubby's stero, can you see a solid piece there ? LOVE this site, so helpful thank you everyone..
January 27, 2013 at 4:56AM     
bonnielynn75
This arrangement looks great! Just like you bought the furniture to fit the room! I think in the place of the sofa table, you definately can put a piece for the stereo equipment. We gotta let the guys have some space in the room! LOL
By adding some accessories and drapes you will have a beautiful room. My preference would be to a sage green as the colour compliment to the sofas. Enjoy the finishing the room and be sure to post photos!
January 27, 2013 at 5:18AM   
1patch
Thanks, working hard to get it all together, so you do see a long narrow solid piece for stero?
January 27, 2013 at 5:29AM   
PRO
What's Inside Design Ltd.
That's a huge improvement! Darzy gave you great advice!
Down the road, I'd look into getting a second smaller scale chair to replace the large one in your small conversation area to the right.
Once you've done that, (hard to see, but I think) you may have space to put the sofa table directly behind the love seat.
You space looks great!!! I love the new arrangement!
January 27, 2013 at 5:43AM     
aniluap2
100% better my only suggestion us move the armchair to where the small chair is and remove the small chair. That way the console table can be centered under the window since it doesnt look quite right. You maybe able to then put the small chair next to the console on the other side?
January 27, 2013 at 7:34AM     
Jayme H.
Looks a lot better!
January 27, 2013 at 7:46AM   
honeyg911
I would get rid of that furniture to start or have it modernized with a new cover. Normally I wouldn't recommend putting furniture on the wall, but since this a small space, I would move both love seats to the wall where you have the lamp and catty corner both love seats around the table. I would move the small gold chair where the blue chair is and put the beige chair across from the fireplace on the other side of the love seat (next to the window). I would put the blue chair and sofa table in another room.
January 27, 2013 at 8:07AM     
Jean Tuck
This arrangement is great I even love the furniture enough to keep it, but if you really must have change staying with graduated tones of a color will make a room seem larger in this seatting arrangement. Great rm.
January 27, 2013 at 8:35AM   
PRO
Chic Alors Decor & Design
Great ideas everybody, but don't forget 'balance'. If the room is not balanced, it won't work!
January 27, 2013 at 8:37AM   
Darzy
Looks better! I'd move the loveseats out a bit (just so the leg is just barely off the hearth). Is there a plug on the right of the fireplace? I'd move the round table/lamp on the right side of the fireplace next to the right arm of the loveseat. Center the sofa table at the window and put the chair in the corner. (A floor lamp reading light would look great by the chair). For now, put a lamp on the right side of the sofa table. I like your wing chair area. Try moving the little rectangle table lenghtwise with the arm of the wing. If you do that, maybe there will be room to put your wood arm chair on the left side of the little table with the wing chair.
January 27, 2013 at 2:57PM     
Darzy
PS..your little "white" statues would look nice against the dark wood of your sofa table.; )
January 27, 2013 at 2:59PM     
thislittlehouse
I normally don't think furniture should hug the walls, but in this case I think maybe the two sofas should move back I an L shape where the two chairs and round table are currently.

Would this be too far from the fireplace? I can't tell in the photos. Could we get a shot from the other angles please?

I would then place a couple of chairs to the left of the fireplace, sort of where the wingback is, but drawn a little closer to the fireplace. Then get a rug to ground the space.
January 28, 2013 at 2:02AM   
1patch
Looking at pictures, haven't gotten the balance of the room yet. Thank all of you for your suggestions.
January 28, 2013 at 6:55AM   
PRO
Chic Alors Decor & Design
Hello 1patch! After reading all of the suggestions it can sometimes be overwhelming for you not to mention exhausting moving the furniture back and forth. Go back to the basic design principles. Divide the room into 4 quadrants for balance and don't forget your focal point! The fireplace! Create a conversation area with your two loveseats and voila! You have a beautiful traditional style room to work with and excellent pieces to create the space you'll love. Have fun with it!
January 28, 2013 at 8:46AM     
lesliejillthomas
Oh I love this room! I just bought a 1920 bungalow and can't wait to move in. Your floors are lovely. And the staircase. The coffee table is just what I am searching for. It is lovely!
January 29, 2013 at 7:29PM     
1patch
Please don't look at decorations, just need feedback on furniture placement so far. Looking for a base of an old china cabinet for stereo equiptment, have two long empty areas in front of windows, thinking of getting a painted piece with the same hue color but with wood top same as sofa table, do you think mixing wood finishes will work, in this room. Any suggestions on the area rug or anything you see I can't. As always all your help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
February 15, 2013 at 11:42AM     
aniluap2
Ipatch the room looks so much better! Really cozy . I think mixing the pinged and stin wood would add to the eclctic look of the room. My only comment is that small wood chair against the wall seems out of place and just stuck there because there was no pace else to store it.
February 15, 2013 at 11:48AM     
1patch
Showing from another spot in the room, can't seem to get the right shots, just one long narrow room.
February 15, 2013 at 11:52AM     
1patch
Aniluap2, had the same impression about the chair you commented on but in the balance of the room,it
looks better than the picures and gives additional seating, because the room is so narrow.Have to had a chance to see these photos, appreciate your feedback. Not sure about the two little chairs, and table by staircase, seems cramped what do you think?
February 15, 2013 at 12:08PM   
aniluap2
I don't think they're cramped if the desk chair wasn't there or vice versa. I think if you remove the red chair it will be cleaner. I think the rug echoes the pattern of the chintz in a subtle way and is fine but I think it would be better if it were a litte wider so a little peeked out on both sides of the sofas but that's a minor detail. The sofas could even be moved in a tad closer together so that someone could easily get in to be seated but also place their drink on it without much effort. All that said I think you have done an incredible job making the furniture look like it was meant to be in the room , what I have suggested are just minor tweaks .
February 15, 2013 at 12:59PM     
1patch
Aniluap, there is such a short distance from fireplace to the front door, couldn't go any wider on the rug. I am having an extenison of the middle part of the bookcases to go to the ceiling, as I need more display room. The long wall where to beige chair is, is where I am thinking of putting a solid piece,painted off white but leaving the top in cherry(dark wood), moving the marble top table to the wall at the stair landing with the two wood chairs, still working with drapes etc. I had help from a decorator on this site, so can't take all the credit for furniture placement. Tried a mirror over the fireplace, but it just highlights the light fixture which is off centered. Thank you for all your feedback. I have another post for what to put under wall tv, looking for help on rug and window suggestions, if you have time, take a look and let me know what you think. Thank you
February 18, 2013 at 4:59AM   
aniluap2
The rug looks good as is and my suggestion is just being nit picky. I like the ideas you have laid out . I actually think it will make more sense than a chair stuck in the corner that is probably not used. If you move the table and the 2 wood chairs to the landing the red chair should be perfect at the console as you had it placed.
February 18, 2013 at 6:22AM     
Darzy
Lookin good 1patch! I like your idea of the console with the red chair and "desk" behind the loveseat.
February 18, 2013 at 1:47PM     
decoenthusiaste
Haven't been here for a while but like where you're going with it. Especially like the "desk" you've done. Don't think you need anything behind it on the stairwell area though. I would like to see the sofas pulled a bit farther from the FP and floated on a larger rug, but due to the door I would use the bottom step on the stairs as my visual to align the rug edge with. You have so many windows that I think drapes hung high will give you the height that you're missing with furniture. The one piece that seems out of place is the overstuffed beige chair. I might let that go for this room.
February 18, 2013 at 2:16PM     
PRO
Kathryn Peltier Design
I think that your room is looking really good. Here is my suggestion for storage: I would either have this built, or you can take bookcases and add trim, etc. Anyway, I would do a built in bookcase on either side of the end window, with or without storage on the bottom. Then, you could either have built-in storage in the center OR you could do a pretty window seat. If you did this, I would then add the little game table and two chairs in front of this. Here is a website which has overlays which can be used with simple Ikea pieces and makes them look fabulous http://www.myoverlays.com/#!shop

I liked your reading chair back by the bookcases - it looked really cozy. Would it still fit, even with the sofa table and the red chair (which I also like!). One more thing, and it's minor: the rug looks just a little small for the furniture the way it is, but I love it with your furniture. If you wanted to, you could buy an inexpensive sisal rug, and layer the two. Since the loveseats actually cover the ends of the rugs, you might even be able to buy a couple of runners (if less expensive) and put one on each long side. OR, one more: buy carpet tiles to edge your rug, maybe even in a red.

Lovely room, and you've made it look very inviting!
February 18, 2013 at 2:50PM     
misecretary
I really like the idea of having built in book cases on either side of the end window. I love the white, glass front cabinet (and would be happy to take if off your hands!) but I think it makes that corner a bit cramped.
February 18, 2013 at 3:26PM   
1patch
Thank you everyone! For the rug, the distance from the loveseats to the front door is 60 inches, so could not go wider, had to place rug this way to keep rug off the bricks that are on the floor in front of the fireplace The bookcases were built in 1920, as was the house, having just a middle bookcase extention built to the ceiling where the glass bookcases are, mainly for display and to leave some wall space on each side for pictures the room has a lot of windows and wall space is limited.. The drape/panels are going to be installed this coming Friday,( stripes), limited from what the installer said on how high to hang them because of the plaster walls, so they will be hung just above the mouding, Think the beige chair will blend when the pillows are added.
The main goal was to use as much furniture that we have, and trying to make them work, in this room.Still considering an antique piece painted in an off white then stained leaving the cherry top unpainted, for the stero in front of one of the windows, have vacant space at this point. Can you see a painted piece in this room ? .All your suggestions have been great, coming from a large country home to a small retirement home in the city has been a major adjustment, trying to decorate this room outside my comfort zone,has been a nightmare, all of your suggestions have helped. Will post pictures of drapes etc. once installed.
February 19, 2013 at 5:59AM   
aniluap2
Just to let you know I have a home built in 1926 and my curtain rods were installed just below the ceiling molding into the plaster wall. They are sturdy rods from restoration hardware so I don't think your installer is correct.
February 19, 2013 at 8:22AM   
1patch
Wow, I guess I may have a problem, as the panels were custom, never been a fan of drapes, had to go with what the expert told me, that the plaster could crack and so forth.
Appreciate you letting me know this, as always you have been great with your feed back.
February 20, 2013 at 3:32AM   
aniluap2
No problem. I don't like drapes much either, just have plain linen panels that puddle on the floor.
February 20, 2013 at 5:50AM     
1patch
Aniluap2, drapes were hung yesterday, do you think they look odd hanging just above the window, wanted them higher, but decorator took measurements to hang on the window casing and that they would be too short, can't get a good prespective at this point. Thank you for your feedback.
February 23, 2013 at 6:15AM   
1patch
Attached photo of panels
February 23, 2013 at 6:19AM   
1patch
another picture
February 23, 2013 at 6:22AM   
aniluap2
Sorry I was away for the weekend. I don't think that it is necessarily a bad thing that the rods are lower although it would make the room appear taller if the curtains were hung just under the ceiling line. However I do think the swag is too low and blocks light from the window. It is just supposed to cover the top molding. If your decorator arranged for the installer,, I think you can put it back on her since she should have known better and told him where they should be hung and measured accordingly. If not I guess you will have to live with it and maybe adjust the swag so it has a shorter drop in the middle with more length on either side so more light comes in.
February 25, 2013 at 7:21AM     
1patch
aniluap2, thank you !! I had the installer come and take the drapes down because I want them hung higher, so they have to adjust the length. I called the decorator, and shared how disappointed in the height of how the drapes were hung, as well as the rod size she recommend, now she is saying that a two inch wood would look better, all frustrating, know as others have stated a wider rod would look better, but not sure if I should go with metal or wood, needless to say I am not sure of the advise of the decorator at this point, what do you think, wood or metal ? The swag can be hung higher as well, called the lady that made the swag and left a message. The big thing is what to get for the rod, not sure what I paid a decorator for at this point, never had this problem before, should have hired you :). Thank you for ALL your help. Ps. Like the top part of the curtain as I did not want the rings to show, if I go with wood may have to go with showing rings.
February 25, 2013 at 7:42AM   
aniluap2
Thanks for the compliment but I am an amateur decorator like you, I've just had a boatload of experience since we have moved 1i times both internationally and inter-state. I've staged homes for myself as well as others so i have developed an eye for what looks right over the years. I don't think metal or wood makes a difference, to be honest, but color does. If you go with an oiled bronze, which is dark, it will look just fine . The reason I have shied away from decorators in the past is because of just the problems you are experiencing. There are some amazing designers out there but there is also a lot of mediocrity. They are helpful in narrowing down choices or giving you access to 'for the trade' only showrooms, but ultimately it is your home and you know what feels good to you. From what I have seen you are very aware of what feels right and when there is something wrong, so go with your gut. If you want metal go with it and trust me a dark finish will look just fine!
February 25, 2013 at 8:51AM     
1patch
THANK YOU aniluap 2, have been communcating with the decorator, via e-mail, we appear to have different views regarding this blunder, she is not happy and neither am I. At any rate, will start looking for a wider rod, in the oil rubbed bronze, which I agree may very well work, your posts have really helped,in getting a different point of view, will let you know. Will be away for a few days, but will let you know how this all turns out. Have a GREAT Day!
February 25, 2013 at 10:06AM   
aniluap2
Ultimately you hired her for her expertise and she should have guided the install to make sure it looked good. Hope it all works out. Good luck.
February 25, 2013 at 10:37AM   
aniluap2
Wow! Such a difference. Looks fantastic! Haven't been on the site for a while but what a pleasant notice.
March 15, 2013 at 12:10PM   
1patch
Hi, as you can see had the curtains re-hung, look so much better, still working on the room, any suggestions ? Still have a problem by the stairs and mantel, Comments are very welcomed.
March 15, 2013 at 12:13PM     
1patch
Hi I was hoping I would hear from you :) any suggestions on the pictures, helps to have a third eye, will send a picture of the fireplace with mirror later, just not sure about the frame. We purchased the long cabinet at an antique store and the owner managed to adjust it so it holds and hides all the sound equipment, CDs plus speakers, now hubby is happy.
March 15, 2013 at 12:21PM     
Darzy
Looks beautiful!
March 15, 2013 at 1:17PM     
carolq2
What a warm and inviting room you have created!
March 15, 2013 at 1:47PM     
lala
It worked out beautifully! Great work!
March 15, 2013 at 2:04PM     
decoenthusiaste
Good Job!
March 15, 2013 at 2:44PM     
mjlb
I think it looks great! The only thing I preferred from a prior arrangement was using the pretty Victorian table where you now have a plant. I didn't read thru' all the comments since there are so many, but in general, seems like we all think it turned out beautifully.
March 15, 2013 at 6:03PM   
Darzy
1patch..one little thing. I think I'd like to see a special floor lamp/reading lamp for the chair in the window corner. Nothing too big. Just a nice light accent and reading light for the corner. Kinda like this lamp...

March 15, 2013 at 10:26PM     
aniluap2
I think Darzy has a good point. I would remove the lamp from the media console and get smelting similar to her suggestion. It looks a little odd in the middle of the window.
March 16, 2013 at 5:08AM     
1patch
Thank you everyone, great suggestions will work on them. I have attached the other end of this room, I may be working on this room" until death do us part". I plan to have in the middle (only) of the existing bookcases, shelves to the ceiling not as deep as the bookcase shelves, any other suggestions for this long narrow wall ? The fireplace is a problem as the ceiling light is not centered and the mirror reflects the ceiling light, not sure how to hang the mirror or if this mirror will work? Tried to give a visual with the pictures, difficult as it is so narrow, as you can see, but hopefully by looking at the other pictures you can piece it together. I have tried to use much of what I have in way of furniture etc. but this part of the room isn't looking right, things can go if need be. ANY suggestions are always welcome, good, bad or the ugly, are all fine. Great site, everyone has been so helpful. Also I have a long antique mirror, how would it look next to the victorian table/ and chairs ? Again Thank You.
March 17, 2013 at 11:28AM     
1patch
Help with this side of the room, mantel, bookcases ???? Any suggestions would be SUPER, thank you
March 23, 2013 at 6:29AM   
zennifer
I LOVE the existing bookcases; I'd not remove one. You could certainly add above if you would like, but there is nothing like the quality of old wood. Just doesn't exist anymore as we are using second,third, fourth growth forests now.

If you want to bring more wood tone in you could strip the bookcases; I bet they are gorgeous underneath as the 1920's was a bare wood fashion time.
March 23, 2013 at 7:47AM     
zennifer
The mantel might look good with a stone/marble mantel on top, not fancy.
March 23, 2013 at 7:47AM     
Darzy
1patch...How about a nice size round clock above the FP? All is see is rectangles and like you said, the mirror isn't reflecting anything you like. I think the items you have arranged behind the glass of the bookcase looks terrific! Nice work there ma'am. The top shelf could use some tweaking, but I wouldn't add or remove anything bookcases there. Art, books, something perhaps whimsical there? Thinking...
Here is a clock idea. This one is 36" and I think could be the right size.

March 23, 2013 at 2:26PM     
1patch
Would like to see a different mantel, good suggestion for a later date, Darzy you are right looking at the pictures there are a lot of rectangles, always help to get a third eye. Darzy what do you think about a long brushed gold antique mirror by the cane seated chair, size is 31 1/2 inches wide and 54, do you think it would look odd? Thank you everyone for all your suggestions
March 24, 2013 at 8:28AM   
thedarlingsbecca
Really like the room, style, your willingness to keep trying new ideas and the generous offering of suggestions! Haven't read all posts, so excuse me if duplicating or you are finished with this area: like the love seats positioned across from one another, adore the little tea table, cleared mantle is thumbs up. Sofa table and sometimes desk great behind the sofa. Would like to see the rose chair and little wooden chair with small table and lamp by stair case. Rose chair first, then small table then little chair. (Small chair will provide wood contrast to white bookcases and allow then to be seen better.) Either chair ready to move up to use at sofa table as desk or to be easily moved to opposite fireplace for extra conversation chairs when needed. Feel the cream / beige larger chair just doesn't fit. Line the idea of painted credenza for window area in a complimentary color. Looks very country English to me. My favorite style. Like larger round table, but don't know where it could be placed.
March 24, 2013 at 9:18AM   
thedarlingsbecca
Did read the posts - love how it looks! Forget whatvI said about beige chair!
March 24, 2013 at 9:33AM   
leahray
Wow! Just got into this conversation, and you have made magic during the last 8 weeks! Just looks beautiful!

Regarding your recent query about the rest of the room, your mantel doesn't bother me...it's just a frame for whatever you decorate it and walls with. I'd leave it as is, and put a grand round clock that you love over it. I like the one Darzy suggested. It sounds like it is big enough to make a real statement. OR find a painting from a local art gallery that makes you smile and feel warm and cozy. If the mirror does not reflect a pleasant view, just don't do it. I love mirrors, also...but have often had to abandon because of the reflected view.

Love your idea about putting bookshelves above the middle of your bookcases. If you are looking for a mirror placement, perhaps long skinny (interesting, antique?) mirrors on either side of this bookshelf might work. Or it might be too formal. Most important is the view reflected.

Finishing touches with things you love (whether we like them or not) will make your space especially yours. I enjoy using bronzes from an artist I love, but I see lovely antique or reproduction ceramics in your space. I picked up a shiny white cockatiel ceramic about 12" tall at a local shop, just because I liked it. I placed it on the mantel in front of a very large painting of the Tuscany countryside and it adds a bit of whimsey (that's me!) to the room. Your great taste shows, so look for things you love to accessorize. Just a thought, but what about hanging decorative plates on either side of this new bookcase? That would add dimension and texture and depending on what you choose, color.

You are doing a beautiful job and I am learning so much from all the contributors. Good luck! Hope my thoughts help send your mind in just the right direction!
March 24, 2013 at 11:02AM     
aniluap2
I don't think there is much wrong with that side of the room it just a matter of accessorizing. The mirror above the fireplace does not bother me but what you have on other side is the problem . Remove the tall rectangular painting and put a trio of candle sticks, an urn, a collection of silver candy dishes anything more 3-D and not rectangular or square and leve the flowers on the other end. I would move your table lamps on the window tables from center to one side of the table and put some other accessories with them. A footed glass terrarium or wardian case on your stairway window table would look cool
March 24, 2013 at 1:22PM     
1patch
Thank you Aniluap2 will use your suggestions as always and see what I can come up with. Still have to unpack a lot of boxes almost forgot what I have. the flowers are fresh but will look for something similar. Not sure I know what a wardian case is ,will have to research. Everyone has been so helpful, love the different ideas that I can work with. Would love to see pictures of your home office that you are working on, you are just so creative. Many thanks again
March 25, 2013 at 4:00AM   
1patch
Good suggestion leahray, hopefully the man we hired will have the middle shelves of the bookcase finished, so I can get a better idea of what I can work with. Again thank you.
March 25, 2013 at 4:10AM   
aniluap2
Thanks 1patch. A wardian case looks like a small greenhouse and was used to transport exotic plants to England. It was named after its inventor Dr. Ward. By the plant being enclosed in a glass case such as this or a terrarium it raises the humidity level and forms a little microclimate. If they have the right temperature conditions they are self sustaining. I use them to grow ferns, mosses, begonias, African violets etc. You can dress up the insid with interesting rocks, branches, a quail egg or an interesting ornament and they become a focal point. They are like living shadow boxes. I will post my office once I figure out how to load the pictures and maybe a picture of my mantel so you can see what I did.
March 25, 2013 at 8:52AM     
Ann
What a transformation! With everyone's helpful advice, you made such a significant change to that room!
March 25, 2013 at 9:09AM     
1patch
aniluap2 thank you, I did look up wardian cases, your suggestion does sound really nice. Not sure if I have enough room from the bottom of the stairs to the wall but will keep this in mind the room is just so narrow, I can perhaps use this idea in another room as well. Would love to see your mantel and office when you have time to post pictures. Have to put a few things on hold for now, have an issue with one of the bathrooms upstairs, contractor and specialist coming in the morning.

Ann thank you as well, members have been great with good suggestions and ideas, just love this site.
March 25, 2013 at 9:51AM   
1patch
Aniluap2, just re- read you earlier post, missed the part of putting the wardian case on the table, will check into that for sure. thank you again.
March 25, 2013 at 9:54AM