Products
Ideabooks
Discussions
Professionals
Users
Kitchen layout dilemma - Please help
kozfam
January 25, 2013 in Design Dilemma
I'm having a difficult time with a kitchen layout. Our kitchen is close to 20 feet wide total, but the walls shift as you can see in the photo below. Not easy to work with! Definitely want a double oven & an island with seating also. Dims are: 141"L x 118"w in one area & 148" l x 120.5" w in the other area. We are willing to place the windows anywhere on that back wall.
I am open to suggestions PLEASE!
Thank you for reporting this. Undo
PRO
Creations Nadia Interior Design
Do you have kids? if you do then you probably want to have a window facing you back yard(that means the sink will go there also) so you can put one big window on the wall of 130.5" the depth of the counter top will be ok - 25 3/4" . Can you place the rest? please,let me know
January 25, 2013 at 12:43PM   
kozfam
I do have kids and I love lots of natural light. I'm just thinking that I may need to leave one whole side of my kitchen "empty" to fit in an island. That area is 120.5 just to clarify. Maybe I can do all windows on that backside? What are your thoughts? Can I put a sink in my island? Can I have an island that shifts also? I would love to have a nice long island with cabinets underneath. Do you think there's enought space for a double oven, range, fridge & sufficient cabinets on the interior wall? I would love a tall pantry somewhere also and a garbage and recycling compartment. I'm overwhelmed! :-) Thank you.
January 25, 2013 at 12:57PM   
PRO
KW Cowles Design Center, LLC
You really should seek professional help with this layout. Kitchens are expensive to do and you want to get it right the first time.
January 25, 2013 at 1:22PM     
PRO
Moving Island - i'm not crazy about that cause these days kitchen is the "heart" of the house - so you better off with the fixed island( you have place to cook, feed your keeds, doing them their home work etc..,that's why i would put the sink on the wall with the window (aoutomatically the garbage,recycling and dishwasher will go there).you can shift you island a bit toward the interior wall and have a lot of storage space underneath. i would put the stove, oven and microwave on the wall which is 118",The ideal place for fridge would be in a corner of FR and Powder Room( i woul build partial dry wall - just to make sure that your Fridge is not sticking out.Then you will have the opposte corner 105" X 72" wher you can build up the pantry and some cabinets - the only thing they can not be deeper then 15" since yo won't have to much room, but you can do them on the bottom with the counter top and made upper cabinets flashed with the lower ones - all together will appear as a wall unit. try to play with a blue tape and do the lay out on the floor to make sure where exactly is the best place for the island and it will give an idea about clearences in between
January 25, 2013 at 1:32PM   
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Here is a completely different idea. Switch the thinking of the kitchen and feature the fixed island as the center focus.

I'd take the 130" wall and place a "galley sink", dishwasher and 48" frig in the upper right corner right next to the dishwasher. Center the window across the sink and dishwasher. Place cabinets over the frig and to the left of the centered window with a large arch from the cabinet over window to the frig cabinet with crown molding.

Then I'd turn around - across from the sink, dishwasher and frig and place an odd shape twisting island with 2 double base ovens (or the a 2 in one base oven) with a cooktop center over the 2 single ovens and the hood over cooktop. Place bar top seating facing sink - leaving the 94.5 wall empty for seats to back up into then twist the island slightly around with a base microwave and warming drawer or a combo of the two in one, recycle, and beverage frig towards the 105" and 72". I'd make the 72" and 33" base all the way across that wall with wall cabinets sitting on base cabinets Making base to ceiling cabinets. Make all of these wall cabinets extra deep or 15" deep and consider some glass/mullion then turn the base-wall cabinets on the 105" with one 9" base and one wall blind corner and make the remaining of the 105" all pantry. Make the 118" floor to ceiling window.

This leaves the all important working triangle near enough distance to each other, provides an incredible island. Provides what you requested minus the double wall oven but I am opposed to them and think they are 1980ish style and not modern. I think the more open the space the better. It's not about slamming cabinets across the whole space. It's about making it work to live in and create an environment people want to return to.

See appliances at http://tgmcabinets.weebly.com and Under the Trend Tab, under Appliance Trends
January 26, 2013 at 11:07AM   
PRO
Dear TGM Cabinets!
is that mean that frig will come out for about 5-6"? just curious,
January 26, 2013 at 11:27AM   
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Dear Creations Nadia Interior Design
It's 4 feet.
48" is 4 feet.

Otherwise you are going to be stuck with a tiny island just to put up with what's left to walk thru or around it.
Or try switch the seating around on the island and put a plasma on the 94.5" and face the seating towards the tv and the cook facing again the window. See the pictures below on big island versus a room full of cabinets and a tiny island? You coming back in there but to cook? Where's the social action?
January 26, 2013 at 11:45AM   
PRO
what i meant - that regular fr is 32-33" deep and corner is 25 3/4" - or am i wrong
January 26, 2013 at 11:52AM   
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
OH, you are correct that is standard but there are 25.25 or counterdepth even in 48" right. And if they need be that can be extended a few inches. (I thought that would be self explanatory) and that would be up to who is helping them pick that out and come up with the layout. I hope to God someone is assisting them and they are just getting ideas here. This one does absolutely need at minimum the contractor going over final plans.

See tv in the first pic.
January 26, 2013 at 11:58AM   
PRO
i think we are not talking about the same things:)) my Q was about fr (FRIDGE) not TV, :))
January 26, 2013 at 12:03PM   
PRO
thanks ! Now we are friends again:))))
January 26, 2013 at 12:07PM   
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
I knew what you were talking about. I was placing that up there while you were asking the question.
January 26, 2013 at 12:08PM   
PRO
out plans are similar - just th fr(FRIDGE) goes in the other cirner :)))
January 26, 2013 at 12:10PM   
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
but more island or you cut off walk way and take out the island with the frig on the other side of the room. Most of the time it's math and we were hopefully all taught distance and it leaves near almost no options but to get the same result...or near enough
January 26, 2013 at 12:11PM   
PRO
:)))
January 26, 2013 at 12:13PM   
PRO
agreed! u get the trophy
January 26, 2013 at 12:20PM   
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Bless your heart! Thanks, I needed that today!
January 26, 2013 at 12:22PM   
PRO
I hope the person who ask the Q will appreciate our efforts - so far no reaction:)) Enoy the week end TGM Cabinets! it was a plesure:)))
January 26, 2013 at 12:28PM   
kozfam
What great ideas! Thanks so much.

TGM Cabinets - can you please explain what you mean by the following:
"I'd make the 72" and 33" base all the way across that wall with wall cabinets sitting on base cabinets Making base to ceiling cabinets. Make all of these wall cabinets extra deep or 15" deep and consider some glass/mullion then turn the base-wall cabinets on the 105" with one 9" base and one wall blind corner and make the remaining of the 105" all pantry."

Are you suggesting we do floor to ceiling pantry cabinets on the 72", 33" & 105" wall? I like the idea of the glass/mullion on the 72" wall if we don't do floor to ceiling cabs, but can you send me a link to an example of what you're referring to so I know exactly what you mean. Also, an example of what you mean by "one 9" base and one wall blind corner for the 105" wall + floor to cabs would be great! I love the creative mind; nothing I would have come up with.

Are the cabinets on the far right a good example of what you mean by a base with wall cabinets? Thanks! http://www.huntwood.com/showrooms/kitchens/traditional/21-century-design/
January 26, 2013 at 1:16PM   
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Yes, like that but add glass to break it up. Take the 105" wall and place the pantry there (see rendering below). Probably two 30-33 unless you go with custom and can make it one large one, then on the 72" wall - run the whole wall with wall and base cabinets smack into the 105"wall and turn the corner and right before you hit the pantry place a 9"-21" base just enough to place in a blind cabinet on the wall(see rendering). Make the wall cabinets 15" deep and add the glass. You can also place drawers at the bottom of the wall cabinets or an appliance garage, etc.
January 26, 2013 at 1:57PM     
kozfam
Thanks so much for the examples. Now I understand what you mean by a "blind" cabinet. I love how this will allow us to have more cabinets/storage. i never thought about putting the range/ovens in the island, but that will really make the difference. We had met with 2 kitchen designers and both told us we didn't have enough room for an island. They both came up with similar floor plans also!
I just love the twisting island. I had also made my own design with such but w/o the range and ovens. Putting them there solves my spacing issue. Would you round the island corners or make them square? I also love the floor to ceiling windows on the 118" wall.
I do think I want my garbage/recycling next to my D/W and sink instead of in my island.
Another question, do you think 36" walking room is sufficient in all areas? Do I have to have 36" with an oven door open or with it closed? Same with the fridge? How about corner to corner? What I mean is do I measure 36" from the corner of the fridge to the corner of the island, etc? I REALLY appreciate your help!
January 27, 2013 at 5:07AM   
kozfam
TGM - Any chance you have a good example of a twisting island? I've searched and can't find a single example. Just thinking, is it o.k. to walk down the hall from the entry way into the island? Should it be an open area or is this o.k.? :-)
January 27, 2013 at 5:13AM   
PRO
Joys, Jewels, and Gems
Kozfam,
How about curved, odd shaped or weird shaped island. You'll find many islands...Here's two of my favorites that roll with the shape of the room and keeps the all important 2013 trend in mind.
In order to keep the space 2013 not 1980, which would have slammed the place full of cabinets...it's important to incorporate a way to entertain in that space with a great layout in the cabinets/appliances and get updated appliances that makes life easy. See my Appliances trend page at http://tgmcabinets.weebly.com
January 27, 2013 at 4:18PM     
kozfam
Love it! Thanks. So many great ideas!!
January 28, 2013 at 11:54AM